View Full Version : Baking soda?

Grey Kameleon
11-25-08, 05:46 PM
I keep hearing about baking soda and stimulants. Is it a bad idea to mix them, or can it be a good thing? Given that I'm not trying to get high, would it be a good thing to do? Like, to increase the duration (Ritalin, especially, is obnoxiously short-lived).

chartreuse
11-25-08, 06:21 PM
I just read on another site about that; basically they were saying Tums and the like were okay for increasing the effectiveness/duratation but that a bit of baking soda mixed with water is much better. I think they said they take 1/4 teaspoon, put it in the bottom of a shot glass, fill with water, mix it up and swallow.

I HATE the taste of that stuff, so I'm sticking with Tums, which have helped significantly.

Either way, I wouldn't take them at the same time; the idea is to let the tums/baking soda/whatever create a good "atmosphere" in your stomach and THEN take the Adderall. I usually wait about 45 minutes (and thanks to mADDmike, who suggested this to me in the first place!).

As for Ritalin, though, I don't know...I didn't think it had the same vulnerability to citric acid, so I'm not sure if this technique would help or not. Maybe ask in the Ritalin section?

Sloan
11-25-08, 07:57 PM
Either way, I wouldn't take them at the same time; the idea is to let the tums/baking soda/whatever create a good "atmosphere" in your stomach and THEN take the Adderall. I usually wait about 45 minutes (and thanks to mADDmike, who suggested this to me in the first place!).

I'm confused by this!
How does baking soda increase the effectiveness of Adderall?
What is the purpose of it?

chartreuse
11-25-08, 08:33 PM
I'm confused by this!
How does baking soda increase the effectiveness of Adderall?
What is the purpose of it?

To cut down on acid in the stomach, so that the amphetamines can be absorbed better and will last longer.

For a more detailed explanation (or perhaps just to tell me I've got it all wrong) you'll have to wait for one of the members here who a better handle on the science stuff.

INaBOX
11-25-08, 08:47 PM
I'd be curious to know too.

texas aphex
06-29-09, 10:51 AM
"taking amphetamines with acidic substances will decrease the half life. If you want to extend it then you need to take it with a base, like baking soda. If you basify your urine it makes it more difficult for your kidneys to excrete the amphetamines from your blood into your urine, so the amphetamines stay in your blood longer."

"Take Tums, EX-750. Similiar affect, and no risk of nausea from baking soda. Eitherway, ingesting straight baking soda is a moronic idea, so stick with the anti-acids. Anti-acids with basify your stomach's acids. They are typically such substances as calcium carbonate, etc.

Baking soda causes no actual harm to your system, its just disgusting, and will most likely make you throw up. You should use 1 to 2 teaspoons rather than 3 though if your going to do anything. You don't need a lot, and it would actually be best to take it mixed with some kind of sweetening agent, such as aspartene, or glucose or rather simply your regular sugar. Hope that helps.

Amphetamines of all types are affected by this in regards to neutralizing acidity. However, long term use of basifying your system will result in minor health problems. You'll have to look into it yourself further, but hope that helps."

fxfake
06-29-09, 01:34 PM
"taking amphetamines with acidic substances will decrease the half life. If you want to extend it then you need to take it with a base, like baking soda. If you basify your urine it makes it more difficult for your kidneys to excrete the amphetamines from your blood into your urine, so the amphetamines stay in your blood longer."

"Take Tums, EX-750. Similiar affect, and no risk of nausea from baking soda. Eitherway, ingesting straight baking soda is a moronic idea, so stick with the anti-acids. Anti-acids with basify your stomach's acids. They are typically such substances as calcium carbonate, etc.

Baking soda causes no actual harm to your system, its just disgusting, and will most likely make you throw up.

Be aware that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) has sodium in it (Captain Obvious to the rescue), so people on low sodium diets might want to think twice about using it.

As for the effect on Adderall, etc., sodium bicarbonate also works by reducing the acidity in your GI system, which increases the absorption of Adderall.

FinallyAnswered
06-29-09, 02:05 PM
Just be aware that these medications were developed with a normally acidic stomach in mind and dosages are based on absorption rates of the average acidic stomach. If you take measures to adjust your stomach's acidity to BELOW normal levels, you are essentially abusing your medication.

I wouldn't suggest altering your medication by using antacids unless you suffer from excessive indigestion and have first consulted your doctor.

Peace!

Hoshi
06-29-09, 02:08 PM
As for the effect on Adderall, etc., sodium bicarbonate also works by reducing the acidity in your GI system, which increases the absorption of Adderall.
As in, making it more potent? That doesn't sounds pleasant. People talk about chasing a high or whatever, but for me, even 2mg over what I take (20mg) makes me feel sick the rest of the day.

fxfake
06-29-09, 02:38 PM
As in, making it more potent? That doesn't sounds pleasant. People talk about chasing a high or whatever, but for me, even 2mg over what I take (20mg) makes me feel sick the rest of the day.

AFAIK the peak concentration can easily vary by 10% or more from dose to dose in the same person (e.g. food/drink intake can alter the Tmax, and thus Cmax, by a fair amount), which makes me a bit skeptical.

But, yes, taking an antacid should increase the absorption of Adderall. I assume this also applies to regular use if H2-receptor antagonists (cimetidine, etc.) and PPIs (Prilosec, etc.). This is one of those "talk to your doctor" things.

Yellow
06-30-09, 10:21 AM
i find this to be generally bull****, ive tried tums, prilosec, zantac, baking soda, and all types of acidic reducing stuff and its the same effect. a med told me that these things arent all that effective in reducing ur acidic bodily ph levels to the point that it would make much a difference, and after my experience i concur

now, supposedly tagament inhibits an enzyme that breaks down amphetamine and because of that, it keeps amphetamine in teh system longer by competing for the enzyme to break down both, but thats it as far as extending half life. messing with ph's just to take amphetamines is stupid imo, and i no longer bother trying anymore.

strangely, i havent tried tagament to see if its true about the enzyme theory, but if i do, ill let you know

in the meantime, just take ur pills as prescribed and dont try to mess with them too much, you get what u get outta them, hopefully its enough, and if its not a right dose, ur doctor (not tums) can help

ps taking a 1/4 tsp of baking soda with every dose, or lets say 1000mg or more of sodium a day is totally unecessary and unhealthy when considering amphetaines are already tough on kidneys, u dont need to throw in all that sodium too

shky
06-30-09, 11:00 AM
Hello. First post here, for me, but to brass tacks>

Okay, so this is specifically with regard to Cimetidine(Tagamet). There is definitely some bleed over here from recreational and/or prescribed users of mu-opioid agonists (percocets, loritabs etc). Cimetidine in particular potentiates these substances in a normal body. I'm fairly certain it's not terribly effective for amphetamines.

That bein' said, I find that if I have a test to take, then a double shotglass with baking soda 45 minutes prior to dosing really does help my stimulants to feel shiny and new again. I feel that taking tums or another base helps as well. It is definitely not as good as doubling up...but doubling up can make my life pretty miserable. I also make sure to take plenty of 'holidays' from my pills, as tolerance (particulary to the racemic salt mixture (Adderall)) builds rapidly, but also diminishes fairly rapidly.

Regards,

shky.

speedo
06-30-09, 10:44 PM
You aren't supoposed to take antacids with stimulants. You are increasing the absorption and effectively increasing the dose.

It's not a good idea.

Me :D

fxfake
06-30-09, 10:57 PM
You aren't supoposed to take antacids with stimulants. You are increasing the absorption and effectively increasing the dose.

It's not a good idea.

Even if a doc says it's okay? I don't know if this technique is that effective, but if it were particularly effective, some people might want to consider this technique to save money (with a doc's okay). A daily antacid is generally cheaper than an extra pill of Adderall (generic or brand name).

Grey Kameleon
06-30-09, 11:01 PM
Even if a doc says it's okay? I don't know if this technique is that effective, but if it were particularly effective, some people might want to consider this technique to save money (with a doc's okay). A daily antacid is generally cheaper than an extra pill of Adderall (generic or brand name).

I doubt that a doctor would recommend it. More research has convinced me this is a bad idea. Granted, taking an antacid with stims once or twice wouldn't be that bad because I've always taken low doses, but it really isn't a habit I want to start.

I made this thread when I was taking 10mg Ritalin 2x daily, which is too little. 5mg 4x daily would have solved the problem, since each dose tends to be more effective that the previous one.