View Full Version : Which is better for paranoia associated with Bi-polar mania-- Risperdal or Abilify

E4rolls
11-28-08, 06:31 PM
I am ADD and Bi-polar and I am taking Zyprexa to control the manic symptoms. Manic symptoms like paranoia, anxiety and irritability are getting worse so my doctor has started tapering me down off the Zyprexa and plans to start me on either Risperdal or Abilify. I am looking for opinions on which is the most effective med for treating my symptoms? Also, which of these two drugs are least likely to cause weight gain? Since I started Zyprexa I've gained 45 pounds quickly and diet/exercise don't seem to help much.

elegy
11-28-08, 09:42 PM
For me, Risperdal. It'll crap on my manic-rage-parade pretty well. But I've always been on a mood-stabilizer in addition to a maintenance and PRN anti-psych med.

EDIT: Abilify is less likely to cause weight gain than Risperdal, but if the sh*t don't work, what's the point? Sometimes you have to think about what's worse - some extra body mass, or full blown manic paranoia?

iMedix
11-29-08, 05:33 AM
Thank you for sharing useful information.There is a type of Schizophrenia called Paranoid Schizophrenia. It is actually the most common type of Schizophrenia. People who suffer from this illness often believe that people are spying on them, that there are cameras watching them, people listening in on their conversations, etc. This sounds like classic Paranoid Schizophrenia.

E4rolls
11-29-08, 12:17 PM
Thank you for sharing useful information.There is a type of Schizophrenia called Paranoid Schizophrenia. It is actually the most common type of Schizophrenia. People who suffer from this illness often believe that people are spying on them, that there are cameras watching them, people listening in on their conversations, etc. This sounds like classic Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I am worried that I have Schizophrenia because I hear people talking in public and I'm sure that they are talking about me, I even hear my name in thier conversations. Everyone is looking at me and I sometimes worry that strangers can read my thoughts. Sounds play tricks on me and form into words that are directed at me until I realize what the sound actually was. Every time I hear laughter I feel like its directed at me. Also, at night when I go outside of my house I feel like someone is hiding in my back yard in the darkness waiting to attack me. Every sound is the stranger's footsteps getting closer to me and I actually see thier outline standing in the darkness. I quickly go inside and lock and bolt the doors and check all the windows. I even lock myself in my bedroom because I am sure that someone is in the house waiting to bash my head in while I sleep in my bed.

It's really funny isn't it? WTF is happening to me? I keep doubting that I am a paranoid schizophrenic because I don't hear voices talking to me. I guess I should tell my doctor what is happening to me but for some reason I always try to down-play it and tell them I am feeling better.
To be honest, none of my doctors have ever told me that I am schizo or whatever. I was diagnosed as Bi-Polar II when I was 15 years old and a few years ago ADD was added in. :o

elegy
11-29-08, 07:51 PM
I think it's unlikely you have any form of schizophrenia, but bipolar 1 with psychotic features sounds dead on. Either way, you're going to need at least an anti-psychotic.

Personally, when I'm paranoid to the point that other people notice(which makes it worse), it's a bright red flashing sign telling me I need to take my damn Seroquel. Lol.

E4rolls
11-29-08, 09:45 PM
I think it's unlikely you have any form of schizophrenia, but bipolar 1 with psychotic features sounds dead on. Either way, you're going to need at least an anti-psychotic.

Personally, when I'm paranoid to the point that other people notice(which makes it worse), it's a bright red flashing sign telling me I need to take my damn Seroquel. Lol.

Thank you for posting, I am kinda relieved that I have'nt become completely psychotic. Do you think Abilify or Risperdal with an SSRI or Lithium and SSRI+ anti-psychotic for my symptoms?

elegy
11-30-08, 12:48 AM
I honestly can't answer that question, because I have no clue! Everyone is extremely different when it comes to psych meds, and what works for one person could send another person to the psych ward. Even if those two people have the exact same diagnosis, you can never be sure.

The best thing I can tell you, is to find a good psychiatrist who you feel comfortable with. And ALWAYS educate yourself about every medication you're on or might be put on. Read the P.I. sheet, read the information sheet that comes with your prescription, ask your pdoc, and ask your pharmacist. You are your own best advocate.

I hope everything works out for you. :p

ADDMagnet
12-08-08, 11:57 PM
I can't answer your question as to which would be better for you. But one thing I have learned is that it's not just what medication you are taking but sometimes the timing and sequencing of medications are important as well.

My husband has taken Risperdal before when he's had issues relating to anger or paranoia but it happens to work best (for what he has) when it leaves your system. Again, that is particularly true for someone with borderline personality disorder, which is what my husband has. I do have a friend who has ADHD, anxiety, bipolar and borderline personality disorder. She sees the same doctor as my husband. She absolutely loves this doctor.

I see that you are from Florida as well. If you ever need to find a great doctor, I highly recommend our doctor who is located in Okeechobee, FL. A few months ago he had a patient come to see him from Tampa whose own doctor told her he wasn't able to help her anymore cause he didn't know what else to do for her. Actually, individuals have come to see this doctor from all over the country. His knowledge of ADHD, depression, bipolar, OCD, borderline personality disorder and many other "biological" disorders is phenomenal. And I have never met anyone who knew more about medication. I love going to see this doctor and I always learn something new. Check out his website at www.biologicalunhappiness.com (http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com)

Good luck.

E4rolls
12-14-08, 08:16 PM
I have just finished tapering down off of Zyprexa (olanzapine) and it was mostly pure hell for me as the paranoia and anxiety became more severe.

I have gone a little manic a few times but I rapidly cycle anyway so it does not last very long. I now have extreme irritablity and anger issues which border on rage at times. I take everything that people say to be a personal attack on me and I have been obsessing on everything lately.

I see my pdoc tomorrow morning and he will be prescribing a different anti-psychotic so I hope it will work for me and stabilize my mood.

Good luck to me!:)

elegy
12-14-08, 10:11 PM
:( I empathize with you. The med merry-go-round is one hell of a ride.

Have you tried any mood stabilizers? For me, an anti-depressant+mood stabilizer+AAP is a good formula to follow.

Also, what does your psychiatrist think about you being on 2 stimulants? You probably already know this, but stims and paranoia/mania do not commonly play well together. At all.