View Full Version : Email Client that works well offline

ADB1
11-30-08, 12:32 AM
Can any one suggest an email client that works well both offline and online. I mainly use Thunderbird, but this requires you to manually download messages for offline use and I generally forget do this.
Ideas I have

access to IMAP
downloading messags in background
allowing you to select which folders are offline and whether message (and how long to keep them)
prompts you to send queued up messages when net becomes available
allows you to review / edit messages that are queued for sending (and delete the old copy)

I find it useful working offline as it focusses the mind - no web to distract or new email. Also being able to queue up messages to send later gives you a chance to review them. But I find messages in Drafts get stuck for ever :(

SB_UK
12-03-08, 07:14 PM
any use ?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/zoho_mail_gets_offline_support.php

I don't know if it ticks all of your boxes.

I use [google gears + google docs] for offline editing google docs -
gmail isn't connected to google gears yet (I think).

-*-

Can any one suggest an email client that works well both offline and online. I mainly use Thunderbird, but this requires you to manually download messages for offline use and I generally forget do this.
Ideas I have

access to IMAP
allowing you to select which folders are offline and whether message (and how long to keep them)
allows you to review / edit messages that are queued for sending (and delete the old copy)

I find it useful working offline as it focusses the mind - no web to distract or new email. Also being able to queue up messages to send later gives you a chance to review them. But I find messages in Drafts get stuck for ever :(

cnstarz
12-20-08, 10:57 PM
Ideas I have

access to IMAP

have you tried Outlook Express?

ginnal
12-22-08, 03:31 PM
Ideas I have

access to IMAP

Is there a reason why you don't want to use outlook?

Retromancer
12-22-08, 04:43 PM
Please do not assume that everyone has the Office suite of applications installed on their computer. There are many of us out there that simply cannot afford the monopoly prices that Microsoft charges -- for what is often bloated, insecure software to boot.

I had Microsoft's XP operating system loaded on my used tower when I purchased it but no Office suite etc. I use Gmail and the T-bird e-mail client.

I think I'll check out Zoho's offerings. Thanks SB for the link.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use outlook?

ginnal
12-22-08, 05:04 PM
Please do not assume that everyone has the Office suite of applications installed on their computer. There are many of us out there that simply cannot afford the monopoly prices that Microsoft charges -- for what is often bloated, insecure software to boot.

I had Microsoft's XP operating system loaded on my used tower when I purchased it but no Office suite etc. I use Gmail and the T-bird e-mail client.

I think I'll check out Zoho's offerings. Thanks SB for the link.

I didn't suggest you purchase anything I asked you a question.
I have several copies of outlook for which I didn't pay a dime.

Outlook may be bloated but it is very simply the best email client there is in existence at this point.
The main reason is the exchange protocol which simply has no competition by anyone.
Imap is a joke in comparison.

ginnal
12-22-08, 05:05 PM
There are lots of cheap ways to get outlook.

Student offerings, From your company (my company has an agreement with Microsoft that allows us to load Office on our personal computers) and of course the nifty five finger discount.

Retromancer
12-22-08, 05:37 PM
So what are the real options for the under-employed ADDer that has not been near a classroom in years? No one that I know just happens to have copies of Outlook lying around...

I'm afraid that techies simply don't get it. As we head into the second year of this recession let's hope they start getting it...

There are lots of cheap ways to get outlook.

Student offerings, From your company (my company has an agreement with Microsoft that allows us to load Office on our personal computers) and of course the nifty five finger discount.

ginnal
12-22-08, 06:48 PM
So what are the real options for the under-employed ADDer that has not been near a classroom in years? No one that I know just happens to have copies of Outlook lying around...

I'm afraid that techies simply don't get it. As we head into the second year of this recession let's hope they start getting it...

You mean to tell me you don't know any techies?
Most of them have access to volume licensed software.
Are you taking classes anywhere?
Often Colleges will give away software packages.

ihpaw
12-22-08, 07:11 PM
Try using thunderbird connecting using pop3 rather than imap. It'll delete the emails from your gmail account, though

Retromancer
12-22-08, 09:47 PM
Yes I do know a techie -- and he is so cluelessly egocentric that I have given up asking him for advice much less hitting him up for software. Life is just great when you're a member of the Microsoft Borg...

And again, I am not attending school. I am a just one of the many working poor Americans out there...

You mean to tell me you don't know any techies?
Most of them have access to volume licensed software.
Are you taking classes anywhere?
Often Colleges will give away software packages.

Retromancer
12-22-08, 09:54 PM
No, T'bird will not delete your Gmail email -- unless you want it to. Go to the 'Settings' in Gmail and choose your preference.

Sorry if you are continuing to use Hotmail. It doesn't play well with others, does it?

Try using thunderbird connecting using pop3 rather than imap. It'll delete the emails from your gmail account, though

ADB1
12-23-08, 05:58 AM
Thanks for interesting discussion. Comments I have
- I already use outlook and want to use a different client for this mail. I do find it rather bloated, and I don't like some aspects of it
- Company has a volume discount for home use of office, but there are problems with using it (long story, wont bore you)
- generally I prefer open source solutions, but not overwhelming. Will buy (or use if already covered by volume arrangement) a Microsoft solution if it is the best.
- Hadn't thought of outlook express. I need to help someone else using it so I will give it a go. Have used it for NNTP news and didn't get on with it, but that was some time back
- not keen on web based solutions.

Perhaps I should specify my "business" problem. I need a way of sending moderately short mails (or messages) to my ADHD coach in a way that I don't get confused by other mail sitting in my email client. Hence another program (not Outlook or Thunderbird) would be best.
I sometimes write these emails on a train / in a cafe without easy net access.

Probably other solutions to my underlying need. I am not keen on Text messags. Thought of twitter but it is a bit restricted. Other thoughts.

ihpaw
12-23-08, 07:06 AM
In what way do you find twitter restricted? 140 char limit isn't that much of a problem because you can send multiple tweets one after the other, and you can update through text if you're really stuck (though I appreciate you don't like text)

ADB1
12-23-08, 02:48 PM
In what way do you find twitter restricted? 140 char limit isn't that much of a problem because you can send multiple tweets one after the other, and you can update through text if you're really stuck (though I appreciate you don't like text)

The sort of thing I send is :

Morning

Quick email to Fred
Solid time on xxxx
discuss yyy with Joe
Lunchtime - walk in park

Afternoon

Meeting about aaa
Fill in timesheet

Evening

Discuss X with wife

It has a little too much structure to send as multiple tweets. And having it writiten down I find it useful to print so i can tick off when I have done it.

Where twitter might be useful is to say "I am about to spend solid time on xxx". I find it helpful to articulate to an outside person what I am about to do, as this helps to reduce my procrastinating. And it is better if this person is NOT my boss.