View Full Version : Online High School

FrazzleDazzle
12-02-08, 07:18 AM
Has anyone had any experience, or have any thoughts to share, about online high school?

My son's inattentiveness and a school career of gobs of missing assignments even up to this point (he's a sophomore), with very little support from the school, I'm wondering if this might be an option for him that will allow him more control, more freedom, more choices, I'd think there'd be a better way for him to track his assignments this way, and lead to more success and self-esteem for him, AND he can still participate in his regular school activities.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Marty
12-02-08, 03:29 PM
Set up timelines. Divide projects up in bits and schedule each bit as opposed to only writing down the deadline.

I'm sorry that the school doesn't support him. That's what helping me most.

FrazzleDazzle
12-02-08, 08:11 PM
Thank you for your reply, Marty.

Do you take classes online too? My son has trouble getting all the steps in his mind needed to get from the start to the finish, and usually just shuts down.

Michiko74
12-24-08, 12:49 PM
Has anyone had any experience, or have any thoughts to share, about online high school?

My son's inattentiveness and a school career of gobs of missing assignments even up to this point (he's a sophomore), with very little support from the school, I'm wondering if this might be an option for him that will allow him more control, more freedom, more choices, I'd think there'd be a better way for him to track his assignments this way, and lead to more success and self-esteem for him, AND he can still participate in his regular school activities.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

My only concern with an independent learning situation is who would he be accountable to? Although this sounds like an ideal situation, without some accountability (other than his own goals of graduating) something like this may work against him.

When I was in academic probation, I had to meet with a guidance cousnellor on a weekly basis. That really made a huge difference because I really benefited from that one on one attention.

Be prepared for more involvement from mom by the way. :p Again, unless you're able to get outside support, learning to set up and follow his own schedule would take some extra encouragement. And who will be that encouragement/nag? :p

But it's not all gloom and doom. I think independent learning is the ideal educational format for ADHDers. Just make sure that he understands this isn't permission to slack off all week, and then pull an all nighter one day.

aloha1983
01-03-09, 10:05 PM
As a teacher this is the kind of thing I would LOVE to do! You'd need some cool software though, to demonstrate things like you would on a blackboard if a kid wasn't getting it. Webcams, forums and chats would also be necessary. The other thing is payment for the teacher. Plus unless you had a class of say 4/5/more it wouldn't be worth it, would it?