View Full Version : ADHD and Drummers

Opus
03-25-04, 04:55 PM
OK. I saw the thread in the Careers area about professions and ADHD, looking for those in the IT/Tech fields to speak up. That got me to thinking about another common thread (sorry for the pun).

My son (age 12) was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. Myself, just recently too. We obviously have a lot in common, but one thing we have in common is that we both play drums. Me, not so much anymore, but was in a band in college, etc. He has a set now too (and the little twirp was better than me at age 6 than I was at .... well, ever!) I am not one of those parents that wants their kids to be just like me, so I never pushed him, but at say age 4, I could tell he just had it. Never said anything until he was about 5. We got him a "play" set for Christmas, and that was all it took. He had a "real" set the next year, and he's never looked back.

I was wondering about the rest of you. Any other ADHD drummers in here? I posted in the men's area since it may be more likely to find male drummers, but I realize that percussion is not gender specific :)

Ian
03-25-04, 06:54 PM
Not I.. a little guitar but no drums.. < g >

jaimegerise
03-25-04, 07:12 PM
Ok, sorry, know I am not a guy, but I just wanted to answer....

I have ADD, my hubby doesn't...but HE is a drummer in a local metal band. I also have a brother who was a drummer.

I think I am just plagued by drummers! :p

waywardclam
03-25-04, 08:38 PM
Q. What did the drummer get on his IQ test?

A. Drool.

Q. What do you call those guys who tour with musicians?

A. Drummers.

Just kidding, of course. But I know two drummers that I am sure are ADD... on the other hand, I know another five or so other musicians that are probably ADD too...

FlakeyGirl
03-25-04, 08:47 PM
How about Lenny Kravitz's drummer for a female percussionist?

I have never tried the drums myself, but I secretly wish to. ;) My instrumental musical experience extends only as far as my seventh grade clarinet. That was a tooting, buzzing, squeaking disaster if ever there has been one.

I have always found myself drawn to and in tune with good beats and tempos. I can feel them deep in my tummy and they always hold my interest. My parents played Motown for me when I was a baby and in the womb.

Who is the greatest percussionist?

darlflake
04-01-04, 11:43 AM
I too was a drummer in high school. I really liked it, but was forced to quit because I had to focus on academics more. I still would love to pick up drums again someday, I am in college now and see tons of advertisements for drummers needed in bands. I yearn for the opportunity, but I live with 5 other guys in my apartment. I think drums would just distract other people around me. I think drumming is definately related to ADHD. Think about it. What is more addicting than a good drum beat? People with adhd are more inclined to succome to addictions, but I think drums is a good addiction to get into. Anyway, just a few things to think about.

Darl

Stranger
04-01-04, 01:15 PM
I secretly wanted to be a drummer, too, but could never get motivated enough to try it. Still, the steering wheel on my car is all beat up from listening to the radio!

Darl, welcome! So you're in Provo, eh? I'm originally from PG!
Go Cougars!

Jellybean
04-01-04, 04:34 PM
Well, I am not a guy, but have had about 2 or 3 add or adhd drummers for boyfriends. Pro players also.

jdsteelii
04-08-04, 11:37 AM
Opus,

I read your post and would like to make myself available to discuss careers in the IT field if you are still interested. I have found total satisfaction at times with what I do, but still get bored. It's probably the best fit I can find for now.

A little about me: I am 35 year old male and have recently been diagnosed with ADD and depression, but can see from my research I have been ADD for a very long time. My strengths as a child were always math and science. I am highly analytical and curious about structured things like numbers. Regarding words and literature, boring and unfulfilling unless I can visualize what I am reading.

I went to college and struggled while studying Engineering. My difficulties stemmed from everything being easy all my life, so I never learned to study or challenge myself. I left Engineering to study Government and Politics, largely because of the unconventional but stimulating thoughts I had in my classes. Once I completed my degree, I drove a truck. Heavy on the labor side, it was satisfying because I was always moving and made a game of delivering packages as quickly as I could. But I got bored.

Now I am a Network Engineer and have had some amazing jobs. I have to be challenged with puzzles and logical problems in order to remain enthused about my work.

Perhaps this is quite a messy babble...I'll stop now and see if you have any questions.

John

Opus
04-08-04, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by jdsteelii

I read your post and would like to make myself available to discuss careers in the IT field if you are still interested.

Guess I'm a little confused. My post was about ADHD and drummers, not interest in IT careers. While I am in the IT field, I'm not sure what post you are referring to.

jdsteelii
04-08-04, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Opus
OK. I saw the thread in the Careers area about professions and ADHD, looking for those in the IT/Tech fields to speak up.

This is what I was thinking of....

Opus
04-08-04, 04:09 PM
Oops. Forgot I posted over there, and also forgot that I stated I was browsing over there. Maybe I have ADD or something :)

jdsteelii
04-08-04, 04:18 PM
It's a good thing...I was beginning to think I did!!!

Christine7777
04-10-04, 03:51 PM
I was diagnosed AD/HD last year and my daughter as well. My son is 33 and is a drummer. He is most definitely AD/HD...hyperactive inattentive type. He just doesn't have the insurance to get in to get officially diagnosed. Does anyone think there is an actual connection with having AD/HD and a penchant for drumming?

Jellybean
04-10-04, 05:51 PM
I am sure it is very calming. And the the installation of rhythm is very important for adders or AD/HD. I think it makes sence that there would be a higher incident of AD/HD drummers.

Vero
06-22-04, 03:16 PM
My boyfriend and I are both add and he is a drummer. Actually he is ALWAYS playing the drums.... even when he's not sitting at his kit. He drums on everything with pens, his fingers. My younger brother is also a drummer and is constantly drumming on something. I am pretty sure he has add just like me but he hasn't been diagnosed.

Definite connection Opus.

because9999
07-21-04, 05:28 AM
I've got a little bongo drum that I bang on when I can. I plan to get a bigger and better one soon. If I could figure out how to fit a trap set in the house, I'd get one. I wish I had played drums in school, but I went with the trombone (I think I saw the movie Music Man shortly before 6th grade, with the "76 trombones" song). For me, it's all about moving the energy I usually don't spend and achieving the focus that usually eludes me. Plus the cool sounds and rhythm I can make. In many ways, it becomes a non-mental activity, which I find very relaxing.

Along similar lines, when I took my first ADD self-assessment, one of the statements said "I have nervous habits more than other people (e.g. my foot is always moving; I am always drumming my fingers)." I agreed with both habits, but especially the finger drumming (and pens, and chopsticks, etc.). When I first met with my shrink, he ran down the items on this quiz and asked me about this one. I replied that I had often wanted to invent a fingertip drum set, but that I had run into technical difficulties (switching from two to three fingers, alternating the first beat between fingers). Otherwise, I've found that a table, armrest, steering wheel, or gear shift will work just fine. I can also drum on my legs until both hands and thighs get pretty sore.

So I guess my point is: let the kid drum!

beefHeart
07-23-04, 11:36 AM
Hows-a-bout a PC tech-weenie/Drummer ( bout a million and one other things as well)... that would be me :)

Drums for me have long been my one true passion, the one aspect of my life that cut through restlesness and frustration. It has always been a great oultet for both anger and raw emotion. Pure expression, very personal but for others a small glimpse of my truley creative nature. To be lost in the rhythm produced clairity i've found nowhere else. The Beat, my one real form of communication, free expression unclouded by the struggles of writeing or other more conventional forms.

Recently as I have be starting to understand the nature of ADD I've been trying to capture some of my feelings on paper. One series of concepts, scribbled on a peice of cardboard whilst tending the mountains of recycleing in the basement (still not done), reflects on the virtue of rhythm...

I call it "NO TIME"...

No Time...
Outta step...
In the Rhythm?
Anticipation... Syncopation...
Groovin Hard!?
The Big Beat... Funk it Dumb.

I've not had a drumset for three years since i gave it to young kid. In him I saw alot of myself and I knew his dad could not afford to buy one...

mostly now i just do rudiments and pound away on just about everything else...

-beef

ChemicalMethod
08-21-04, 04:12 AM
I used to play drums in jr high band class. I was really good at it to, but i wasn't interesting in learning how to play the paino, or anything else for that matter, just the drums. I played drums for the first year in high school, but then we HAD to learn how to play the paino and other instruments so i dropped the class. I kinda regret doing that, but i wish i could have just stook with something i loved.

hypergeek
09-10-04, 12:12 PM
hi. im a musician to, and i play keyboards, but my freind is a drummer and we both have adhd to the max. the drums have been real good for my freind, just like keyboard stuff has been good for me. it helps us concintrate. sometimes its hard to get a new song down since we tend not to focus on one thingfor to long, but mostly its a good thing.

Andrew
09-10-04, 12:33 PM
Played keyboard, guitar and drums.

hopetalk
09-11-04, 01:47 PM
yep...another add drummer, though i haven't played in a couple of years.

DogPatch1149
10-17-04, 11:34 PM
I catch myself doing a lot of drumming during my commutes between home and job sites. (I do computer repair in homes and businesses, BTW.) Never was taught formally; I just watched others play, figured out what I had to do, sat down at a set and just did it. I'm no Neal Peart, but I can keep a pretty good rhythm going.

Music and rhythm have always been the one constant source of joy in my life, no matter where I've been or what I was doing at the time, pre-medication or post-medication. The only instrument I was ever formally taught was trumpet back in fifth grade; by the end of high school, I was playing all brass, keyboards, most percussion, and a wickedly good bass guitar. I can't do woodwinds at all (embouchure is all wrong) and guitars just elude me (you mean I have to use more than one finger and string at a time? :rolleyes: ), but everything else is pretty much fair game.

Waywardclam, I had tears in my eyes laughing at your post.

Sorry for rambling...meds must be wearing off.

- Dana

inautumnforfree
10-21-04, 08:18 PM
ive wanted to learn. i also drum everything in sight. Ive also noticed that i tend to pickup on the drumbeat in a song LONG before anything else.

i had to play the stupid *** trumpet in 6th grade. i never practiced, and bombed out due to a lack of interest with that horn. how do you expect an undx'd child to find the HORN interesting!? my parents tried to tell me that my uncle played it, and blah blah. i remember telling my parents i wanted to play the drums, but they always talked about the "amount of noise".

i figure with add the noise isnt much of a problem :-)

btw-is it possible to actually rent a kit from some where?

dreamtime
10-22-04, 12:18 AM
I don't have ADD, but my boyfriend does. When we first started going out, he said that he played "a little guitar." I found out later that he got into music school on a scholarship in voice and also played drums and strings. But he dropped out after three years because the academics became too much, and now he won't play or sing anything (at least not when I or anyone else is around). Maybe with time and gentle encouraging, I'll get a serenade out of him ...

inautumnforfree
10-22-04, 07:44 PM
im pretty happy as of now. my friend's boyfriend has a couple kits and is going to show me how to play a bit.

tractor1
10-27-04, 01:08 AM
I started drums in elementary school, and played in a band thru high school. You have brought up a very interesting point, what a great site we have here, so much talent!

Toby
11-14-04, 11:57 AM
Interesting theory, I'd guess multitasking would come into it as well. It's something that is innate in every ADD sufferer and essential when it comes to drumming.

Zippy
11-19-04, 11:44 PM
Yeppers, I'm one too! I played the drums from 7th grade until I started college. Then again in some bands where I went to front man and was forced to learn guitar. I now love to play my guitar and have played at least an hour and a half today. I just finished a 20 super-zapper drum bit on a really cool African style drum just before reading this.

My neighbors LOVE me!

Larry

Kimalimah
11-20-04, 06:33 AM
I started playing oriental hand drums when my dance instructor wanted a number in her show with live drumming. Since then I have given workshops, have an ongoing drum group with 21 members, am slowing collecting all kinds of drums (frame, riqq, dholla, darabukka, djembe). My enthusiasm knows no bounds, as usual! :D

d0dg3r
11-26-04, 02:31 PM
Keyboards and guitar player here. Not brilliant on either, but passable on keys. Guitar is a newer enthusiasm, picked up post 9/11. Something I always wanted to do...

Originally wanted drums as a kid, but the 'rents weren't having it, and there was already an old player piano in the house which I attacked like Jerry Lee Lewis. "GET DOWN OFF THE PIANO BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!" LOL

I saw this thread and instantly thought of two of the best rock drummers ever: Keith Moon of the Who, and John "Bonzo" Bonham of Led Zeppelin. Both poster boys for ADHD, and both sadly died of their excesses at a year or two past 30.

speedmania
12-17-04, 02:31 AM
Drummin' since 6yrs old. Mom was a drummer too!

http://www.kaoschoppers.com/images/webmaster/wallacewilsonrodri.jpg

inautumnforfree
12-21-04, 08:24 PM
I saw this thread and instantly thought of two of the best rock drummers ever: Keith Moon of the Who, and John "Bonzo" Bonham of Led Zeppelin. Both poster boys for ADHD, and both sadly died of their excesses at a year or two past 30.
everything ive read about moon would make me agree.

E-boy
12-22-04, 10:36 AM
You know, this may have nothing to do with anything, but I have ALWAYS wanted to learn to play the drums. :-)

Ian
12-22-04, 12:47 PM
We've invited a drummer over for a home jam on the 29th. She's got more drums than you could shake a crocked stick at! I've played with her twice now and really enjoyed it.

This time I think I'll put the guitar away for some of it at least and find my self a skin to beat on.
ian

Saxman7
12-25-04, 08:40 PM
Well, obviously I'm a saxophone player, not a drummer, and wonder if drums are typically the choice of ADHDers, while we "inattentives" are drawn to other more "reasonable" ;) instruments.....

I know that many of the better musicians I work with are undiagnosed ADDers, as we share lots of the same "quirks".

One thing, ADD sure does help in improvising, and staying fresh, so we avoid losing that "like a virgin, for the very first time" feeling when we perform..... :cool:

fuzzybaffy
12-25-04, 11:33 PM
Hmmm... Maybe there is a strong correlation between musicians and ADHD?

In my apartment all three of us play musical instruments - coincidentally we all have experience playing from flute for our grade school (all different) bands and both of us have been officially diagnosed while the third person exhibits a lot of ADHD symptoms.

inautumnforfree
12-30-04, 06:54 PM
Well, obviously I'm a saxophone player, not a drummer, and wonder if drums are typically the choice of ADHDers, while we "inattentives" are drawn to other more "reasonable" ;) instruments.....

I know that many of the better musicians I work with are undiagnosed ADDers, as we share lots of the same "quirks".

One thing, ADD sure does help in improvising, and staying fresh, so we avoid losing that "like a virgin, for the very first time" feeling when we perform..... :cool: i ran into a music studio a few days ago to look at drums kits, i think the EVERYONE in the drum showroom had add. i noticed how we were all tapping our fingers moving around, etc.

besides, us hyperactive's have a bit too much energy as is.:)

if anything this might be more proof for the notion that add/adhd is a right brain thinking process. the right side tends to react better with music/art and is the more creative side. most of my friends that are truly gifted artists/musicans are right brained. also, my father i think is left brained (mr. logic himself, he wanted to teach me 'logically thinking') and can not play ANY musical instrument. i tried playing the trumpet in 6th grade, i didnt do to hot, but never practiced, and wasnt taught how to read music:rolleyes: now that ive been messing around with a snare drum book and drum pad, i find it very easy to read music AND pick up on the patterns as well.

AMeuse
01-04-05, 03:30 PM
Well, I fall into this thread too...... I've been playing drums since I was 12, I'm now 32... I've been in a band in the past ( slowest song we played was " living after midnight-judas priest ). I find lots of solice and relaxation through playing it's a big stress reliever as well. I've been around music for most of my life, my father was an accomplished guitarist and singer. He alway had a band when I was growing up so this got me interested at an early age. As I got older, I sat in here and there on a couple gigs with one of the most successful bands they had, and later became the drummer's roadie.
They used to play this VFW / American Legion type club up in Beverly Ma. that in the afternoon when we'd setup, was occupied by the local town drinkers, and there'd be 1 40 watt lightbuld on in the place. I'd get the drumkit setup, and sitdown to do sound check.... in which I'd go off playing some reserved blues beat, then break into an all out Bonham style solo, which usually only lasted 30 seconds before all the drunks in the place would start running for cover, or my father started beating me with the first object he could find......lol. When I would stop they'd all be like " what the hell is he doing ?? git him outa here please !! " Still gives me a chuckle.....These days I don't have much playin' time, but intend to make more time for it this year considering I've got 2 kits, One yamaha acoustic kit, and an 11 piece electronic kit. My influences would include: Peart, Bonham, Moon, S. Philips...etc. I like a wide range of music, from old Waylon Jennings to Attreau, but tend to like the heavier side of things like: Stone Temple Pilots, AudioSlave, Godsmack, Pantera ...

Zippy
01-05-05, 10:06 PM
Well, I fall into this thread too...... I've been playing drums since I was 12, I'm now 32... I've been in a band in the past ( slowest song we played was " living after midnight-judas priest ). I find lots of solice and relaxation through playing it's a big stress reliever as well. I've been around music for most of my life, my father was an accomplished guitarist and singer. He alway had a band when I was growing up so this got me interested at an early age. As I got older, I sat in here and there on a couple gigs with one of the most successful bands they had, and later became the drummer's roadie.
They used to play this VFW / American Legion type club up in Beverly Ma. that in the afternoon when we'd setup, was occupied by the local town drinkers, and there'd be 1 40 watt lightbuld on in the place. I'd get the drumkit setup, and sitdown to do sound check.... in which I'd go off playing some reserved blues beat, then break into an all out Bonham style solo, which usually only lasted 30 seconds before all the drunks in the place would start running for cover, or my father started beating me with the first object he could find......lol. When I would stop they'd all be like " what the hell is he doing ?? git him outa here please !! " Still gives me a chuckle.....These days I don't have much playin' time, but intend to make more time for it this year considering I've got 2 kits, One yamaha acoustic kit, and an 11 piece electronic kit. My influences would include: Peart, Bonham, Moon, S. Philips...etc. I like a wide range of music, from old Waylon Jennings to Attreau, but tend to like the heavier side of things like: Stone Temple Pilots, AudioSlave, Godsmack, Pantera ...

Sweet! I always loved those slow, indulgent, love songs Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton, and K.K. Downing put out. It's making me get all teary eyed just thinking about them. I think I'll put on my Stained Class album and curl up by the fire with a good book. images/icons/icon10.gif

Keep rockin' up north!

sonya71
01-20-05, 06:20 PM
my boyfriend is 41 years old and is a professional drummer and has ADD. He is extremely talented. He also writes & composses music, but can't read a sheet of music. He often feels his most creative late late in the night, you know while I'm long a sleep he jumps out of bed and picks up his electric guitar (and amp) and plays (did I mention he also plays guitar?). He tells me when a tune pops in his head he has to "get it out".
He is also an increadable artist. He's a professional tattoo artist, and also paint's, sketches and draws. I'm amazed at all of it, specially since he never has had ANY formal training or schooling. He's ALL self taught.

Captain Da Da
02-24-05, 06:45 PM
I don't know if it's going to count here. I know how D.J.s are not always considered musicians, but I am going to learn to D.J. because I thought it would be a good way for my random, disorganized thoughts to be put together to make one sound. I would have to learn as if I'm playing the drums. DOes this count?:confused:

I wonder if a lot of D.J.s also might have ADD because of what they do?:confused:

HyperFocus
02-25-05, 02:28 AM
Drummer here... 6+ years, and probably going to start it up again. I found that drumming was an excellent source of structure, yet allows one to be creative w/in that framework. The one problem i always had was becoming distracted while playing any song. I would forget my place and such. I solved this using a cheat sheat on a music stand.

Unfortunately i was unable to keep up my drumming due to work. Now that i am in one place, its time to start up again.

chain
03-08-05, 05:47 PM
I am just picking up drumming from my friend Peter (undiagnosed super ADD). It is great and calms my mind. My woman friend Erin comes from an ADD family and they are all drummers... talk about noise and chaos :)

mimi865
03-28-05, 11:25 PM
Too funny--my 12 y/o son took up the drums at school this year totally out of the blue. I have always thought that certain "beats" or rhythms helped me concentrate and I was wondering just the same thing you're talking about. Very interesting... :)

witsend
03-29-05, 01:09 AM
My son (8) has been after me for 1-2 yrs to play the drums!!

BlackAdder
07-22-05, 01:16 PM
I tried to learn the drums at school, but didn't get past tapping on a rubber plate/mat stage, this was way before I knew had ADD, I just wanted to play the drums not tap a bloody mat:mad::rolleyes:, I also wanted to play the keyboards (properly!!) but even now I find it difficult learn the notes and chords.....maybe one day it will click.

Zippy
07-22-05, 03:43 PM
I've had a sudden realization dropped in my lap. I know there's a proper word for that, but I can't think of it just now.

A friend was telling me of her son's school band tryouts a few nights ago. She is a counselor for high school students. She explained to me the magnitude of his acceptance into the percussion program at his middle school or late elementary school. I was informed the percussion section is the most sought by students wishing to delve into the music scene. Apparently, the margin of percussion to all other instrument interest is quite large. I never knew this. I'm 46 years old currently. Was the competition that stiff when I was a kid? If it was, did I just not recognize the issue for some reason?

I remember being called in the summertime every year by the school. We came in on a specified day, sheet music was layed in front of us individually, and we played the piece. I played tympani, bells, xylophone, and marimba as well, so I got to do that too...which was cool. It was always fun to me. I do remember other kids there whom I never saw again. It never registered to me we were trying out for some reason. I look back now and feel horrible.

I know the kids have it tougher all the time, but I don't remember the sort of peer pressure and anxiety she described to me. Did this exist in the mid seventies? If it did, where did I leave my blindfold? Do I still have it on? lol

jim44
08-03-05, 01:01 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm new here. I've played the drums from about age 4 and still play at least once a week 40 years later. When I was a kid my dad insisted that I play the trumpet, his 1st love. I just could not do it. There's ALWAYS music/drums/patterns running around in my head.

jim-

HocusFocus
08-04-05, 08:46 PM
You know I always wondered if my drum playing ability had anything to do with my ADD. One idea is my playing is better because of ADD. Another idea is, since I was ADD to start with, maybe it steered me toward playing drums, because of the steady rhythm and required discipline.
Maybe Jellybean's right in that regard. I think musicians in general benefit from a musical instrument endeavor of some capacity.
What do y'all think?

Buel Pace
08-25-05, 10:36 PM
To The original Poster-
and everyone else.

I am new to this forum. Discovered because of a new Rx for Adderall and wanted to do a bit of research. Have been a member of depression forums since that has been my diagnosis for many years. Doc thought that an ADD med would help for various reasons...

This thread is absolutely hysterical.

I am a very successful professional retired, you guessed it, drummer.

This thread has made more sense to me in the last half-hour than years at depression forums....why?
It has occured to me that one of the most enjoyable aspects of trap-set drumming is that it requires the ability to play 4 different rhythms at the same time. ADD Heaven!

My wife claims that I need to 'launch a satalite just to tie my shoe'.

An "ah-ha" moment for the newbie.

Thanks and look forward to being a participant in the forums.....

Buel

jim44
08-30-05, 08:52 PM
It has occured to me that one of the most enjoyable aspects of trap-set drumming is that it requires the ability to play 4 different rhythms at the same time. ADD Heaven!
That's why I love it too. Nothing else compares. Driving on a race track comes close, but I get a bigger rush from the Roland's.

jim-

greendaysum182
10-22-05, 01:54 AM
I've been playing drums for 6 years (almost 7). I love it more then anything. I plan to become a professional when I'm older.

Fidge
10-27-05, 01:43 PM
okay i know i am a gril but, i too have adhd and play the drums, i find it fascinating that we all someshare similar traits and interests. I love playing the drums, been playing for over a year, i woned a pro m seris mapex, i love it!

moe.ron
10-31-05, 01:13 PM
I play bass now, played piano for about 8 yrs, drummed for about, then played guitar for a while. I have a problem with sticking to one thing. My couisin has ADHD he drums for a band professionaly, another couisin has OCD and plays guitar as a side job to being a aeronatical engineer. My grandfather had ADD and played organ real well. And my great-grandparents played folk music for a few years professionaly, I don't know if they had ADHD or not though.

backuptie
11-26-05, 07:03 AM
I play the bodhran sometimes, and have wanted to bang the drums for years but life and other hobbies always seems to get in the way.

jim44
11-27-05, 10:46 PM
http://www.musicwear.com/media/drum-anger-mngnmnt-tshirt.jpg

TheBrainiac
11-30-05, 07:23 PM
I too am a drummer/percussionist that suffers from ADHD. I say "suffer" because I went many years without a proper DX and was put on so many meds that I had to suffer through self medication before I figured out my problem. Anyhow, ADHD is a blessing as far as from a drummer's perspective as it allows us to "hyper focus" on things we enjoy. Now that I am properly treated I am actually able to apply all the practice I have drumming, I played in the HS band, snare and quads, sometimes Quints....but had I had my meds I would have practiced more and might have even made DC intl.

Anyhow...I love to play the drums, and am currently in a local project with some other guys that just dont get the whole "Adhd" drummer thing. Its a phenomenon of sorts, even my MD says he has a lot of patients that play drums, and when he did my initial inteview, he asked me about my steering wheel. I know why now!
Mahalo Fellow Drummers
B

octatonic
01-22-06, 08:17 PM
I'm a professional musician, but primarily a guitar player/producer.
I do a lot of drum programming though and highly rhythmic in my composition style.

Roy G Biv
01-24-06, 10:49 AM
I'm a guitar player and have played professionally for over 30 years. The place I feel the most 'normal' is on stage with a guitar in my hands.

ADDman
06-12-06, 05:49 PM
I'm 33 and recently diagnosed. And, yes, I've been playing drums since the 8th grade. From what I'm reading here, the attraction to drumming may as well be a question on all those "Do I Have ADD" questionnaires.

hoochycoochyman
06-12-06, 06:48 PM
I think this is a fascinating topic because thousands of years ago when it was advantageous to have adhd and not be eaten by a sabertooth, drums would have been a very common form of music. I don't know if we have better rythm but maybe it is a reflection of the mind that keeps thinking non-stop, like a constant drum beat or heartbeat.

dormammau2008
06-12-06, 08:35 PM
could be hoochy dorm

JustNeedHelp
07-16-06, 10:33 PM
im add and i wanna play drumms some sort of conenction...? i see one

willonei
09-10-06, 03:31 AM
I started drumming with some friends from church a few years back. I found I could lose myself in the rythms (sp?) much like I was trying to do in meditation. I now own several djembes, a set a bongos and a set of conga drums and it has become a real hobby.

I'm learning to focus and stay in time with others and I find myself more comfortable in my buddhist group meditation as well. I am learning to focus on my breathing and be more relaxed. I am drawn to buddhism partly because it has no gods and most importantly for the practice of mindfulness, experiencing all the moments as you live them. For me this is the crux of my add, in my 51 years I don't think my head and my feet have been in the same place for more than a few minutes at a time. :confused:

Lunacie
09-10-06, 11:56 AM
I've always secretly wanted to be a drummer too. About 20 months ago I was shopping at T.J.Maxx and found a nice little djembe for about $30, and I just happened to have that much money so I bought it. Then came the hard part, searching online for a local drumming group I could attend. I was very lucky and not only found one group, but it split into two groups that met on two different days and WOO HAH I was drumming all the time and loving it. A few months ago I bought a doumbek and that's about all I play now (have fibromyalgia and a damaged finger and it's easier on my hands).

My friends at drum circle are amazed that I'm there even when I have a migraine. I tell them that the drumming doesn't hurt my head because I focus on the rhythms and it's so enjoyable. The hard part is driving from my house to where we have drum circle with a bad headache through traffic.

scooter
09-10-06, 12:03 PM
I believe drums have saved my life. I have been playing for 15 years, 10 of which were pro. Without the drums I would not be here.

*~ žEEK ~*
09-10-06, 12:46 PM
I play Gtr. Bass, Piano/Keyboards, Sax, a little Drums, and sing too.

While I found playing drums physically therapeutic when I was younger. To me, playing an instrument (Such as keyboards and guitar) is very much like playing the drums. Instead of physically hitting on something, I get to rhythmically hit on something with my fingers rather than using my hands, arms, and legs. It's just not as physical as playing the drums!

Emotionally, I prefer keyboards and guitar the most. Not only do I get to thump on something with my fingers, but I also get to switch between playing the bass line, chords (rhythm), and lead (Melody), (Back and forth during a song) which appeals to my ADD tendencies of doing multiple things all at once. And if that wasn't enough I'll sing too. LOL :D

However, there is alot to be said for the physical outlet that you get from playing the drums.

Peace! :)

VisualImagery
09-10-06, 01:51 PM
I always wanted to play the drums, but being a girl born in the 50's and being very clumsy and struggling to keep time-it was not in the stars for me, still, I would like to try....... The tambourine, that I can play!

I always have to have something to do with my hands or I go nuts. Just sitting doing nothing makes me crazy-now I understand this a little better. Perhaps there is a little, or a lot of ADD in many drummers!

IansDad
11-11-06, 03:55 PM
Just gonna throw my hat in the ring, too. Drumming since sixth grade on actual drums with sticks. Constantly tapping rythyms on tables, couches, chairs, desks, and sisters since birth.

I saw a couple of old drummer jokes earlier in the thread, here's two more:

What were the drummer's last words before he was kicked out of the band?
"Let's try some of my songs."

Why did the guitarist put drumsticks on the dash board of his car?
So he could park in the handicapped spot.

*~ žEEK ~*
11-12-06, 04:40 PM
Here's some of my favorite drum videos for my drummer friends here on ADDF! :)

John Bonham -
1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4190110225090266760&q=John+Bonham&hl=en

Neil Peart -
1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5820392705112714255&q=Neil+Peart&hl=en

2) YYZ Animation (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6924346554450201287&q=Neil+Peart&hl=en)

3) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8396162470630001093&q=Neil+Peart&hl=en

Assaf Seewi -
1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6015123171738315192&q=Neil+Peart&hl=en

2) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5240799118100444001&q=Neil+Peart&hl=en

3) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6015123171738315192&q=%22Drum+Solo%22&hl=en

Mike Portnoy -
1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4216514938655883334&q=%22Drum+Solo%22&hl=en

Animusic -
1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9082426111011214055&q=Ginger+Baker&hl=en

markus952
10-12-07, 06:19 PM
New member here and I was digging through the search function. Stumbled across this thread so I thought I would check in. I'm 22 and have been drumming for 6 years now on a set. I started playing percussion in grade school and then bought a set during the beginning of high school. I love playing and its something I'm kinda good at.

steviefranchise
10-12-07, 07:19 PM
I bought my son his first drumset about eight years ago as he was always banging on things with his hands. He has been playing ever since and has become very good but not as good as he could be as he does not like the discipline of practicing the rudiments.
He is 16 now and jams once in awhile with some local guys.

I play piano and compose movie score type music on piano and studio synthesis.

I also had problems with discipline when I studied at American Conservatory years ago.

He is Hyper, I am combined.

goughy
10-13-07, 08:13 AM
I've been a drummer for 20 years years now. In some ways I could say that I see no correlation between having adhd and being a drummer, yet I am constantly tapping my hands and feet. So maybe there is.

I actually find some difficulties with my drumming which may be due to my adhd. Firstly, the only practice I've ever been able to do is to play to tapes (they were tapes in my day). To actually practice properly is just too boring. So I never learnt any of the rudiments (kind of like our version of musical scales) which has hampered me in my abilities. I have tried many times over the years to learn these things but it's just too boring to do the same thing over and over.

Also, I have always had trouble following where a song is going. Yet I always fluke it. And strangely enough I have a strange ability to just sit in with people and pull off a good song. In one case I joined a band after not having played for a couple of years and was gigging within 2 weeks. I just can sit in with other muso's really easily.

Also, I have trouble sticking with playing straight time. I'm always moving around within the groove. My bass drum foot tends to follow the lead instrument, and I'm always playing lots of drags on the snare, and mixed and syncopated beats on my hihats and ride. It's just too boring not to. I have learnt that I don't have to do a fill every 4 bars of a song, but it takes some effort.

I've done alright out of my music though. I can make anywhere up to 300bucks for a gig in town now. I likey a lot'y.

I've been told that my style of play cold be described as 'finesse'. I often feel embarrassed by my lack of technical skill, considering I've been playing for 20 years and can barely execute a smooth double stroke roll. But I play with lots of dynamics and my band mates can never be sure of what will happen next with me.

Anyway, that's my dribble for now!

markus952
10-13-07, 07:19 PM
I also just play along to songs...it is similar to playing to a metronome because produced albums are almost always on time. What I like to do is add in my own beats to some songs. Even though I'm not in a band, I can sit in and play a beat with mostly anybody. Currently, I've been looking to start up a band to raise my rock bottom self esteem and confidence.

I can see Youtube being a large positive in my practicing. There are some very informative instructional videos on that site which will improve my chops ;)

weird genius
10-17-07, 07:49 PM
I have some thoughts. I played guitar for years not really well. Then I switched two years ago to bass guitar; I'm more of a rhythm section player I guess, cause it really clicked for me. Getting synched up with a drummer or drum machine really puts me into a calmer, clearer place....at least for a while. Making music with others imposes order on at least part of my brain and some of that seems to spill over into the rest of my life.

heretic
10-19-07, 03:03 AM
Hi all, i'm new to the forums and newly diagnosed with ADD.

I've been a musician all my life, guitar, bass, drums, keys, and whatever else i can get my hands on.

I've been playing drums off and on since i was about 5 or 6, and consistantly for the last 4 years. Music in general is very cathartic to me, and particularly when playing drums i have bouts of hyperfocus.
Since being diagnosed and reading up on add i have used drums as a sort of meditation and release, taking breaks from schoolwork to burn off some energy and regain my focus. It's been really helpful, when i just can't get my thoughts to straighten out i go and play loud and really fast for 20 min and then i can get something else done.
Interestingly, medication has really improved my playing. I used to have problems playing slowely, constantly speeding up or losing the beat. Now i can keep a more steady tempo, and when playing fast i still have the ability to keep a dozen different things going at once, it's great.

Glad to be talking to other people in my situation, and i look forward to getting to know you guys.

john lamb
05-08-11, 11:11 PM
Hey - I'm writing an article for my blog about drummers + ADHD. I'm a drum teacher / brain geek, and I'm thinking about the connection.

In regards to the original post, the brain doesn't work that way for anyone. you cannot will yourself not to do something. Its like the Leo Tolstoy fable- you can get a wish granted if you stand in a corner and don't think of a white bear. (he didn't know about polar bears!!)

You are exactly and totally correct to ask for tricks. I teach a lot of ADHD students. In my experience, the issue is not so much a matter of not being able to focus so much as it is misunderstanding what focus means.

This is not something that can translate easily into an internet forum, but the main thing is that people do what they think will work. The real question should be "Why am I playing the drums? / What am I trying to achieve?" There are a lot of ways that people think about playing that make varying the beat inevitable. All in all, I'd say ADHD is a huge plus for drummers.

Incidentally, I've heard more than a few top drummers give stories like this one... Steve Ferrone says the way he learned to keep time that his drum teacher would kick him whenever he rushed or dragged. Hard. He's got a whole stable of tricks that keep him in line, as they all do.

oblivio
05-11-11, 12:07 AM
Two words - Keith Moon

That is all

Proletariat
05-11-11, 01:22 PM
I play A drum.. the bodhran. I also play mandolin, banjo, cello and fiddle... lol

K-Funk
05-11-11, 03:32 PM
wow, I know this is an old post but...this is TOTALLY me!!!

I'm always tapping out rhythms on things and I was always too bored to learn the rudiments properly. Just like this guy I played along to songs and improvised my own beats (much more syncopated than straight). I struggle with speeding up and slowing down and had to learn not to play just one giant solo, but have always been really good at improvising and "connecting" with various playing styles with different musicians very quickly.

Cool thread!!! :D

I've been a drummer for 20 years years now. In some ways I could say that I see no correlation between having adhd and being a drummer, yet I am constantly tapping my hands and feet. So maybe there is.

I actually find some difficulties with my drumming which may be due to my adhd. Firstly, the only practice I've ever been able to do is to play to tapes (they were tapes in my day). To actually practice properly is just too boring. So I never learnt any of the rudiments (kind of like our version of musical scales) which has hampered me in my abilities. I have tried many times over the years to learn these things but it's just too boring to do the same thing over and over.

Also, I have always had trouble following where a song is going. Yet I always fluke it. And strangely enough I have a strange ability to just sit in with people and pull off a good song. In one case I joined a band after not having played for a couple of years and was gigging within 2 weeks. I just can sit in with other muso's really easily.

Also, I have trouble sticking with playing straight time. I'm always moving around within the groove. My bass drum foot tends to follow the lead instrument, and I'm always playing lots of drags on the snare, and mixed and syncopated beats on my hihats and ride. It's just too boring not to. I have learnt that I don't have to do a fill every 4 bars of a song, but it takes some effort.

I've done alright out of my music though. I can make anywhere up to 300bucks for a gig in town now. I likey a lot'y.

I've been told that my style of play cold be described as 'finesse'. I often feel embarrassed by my lack of technical skill, considering I've been playing for 20 years and can barely execute a smooth double stroke roll. But I play with lots of dynamics and my band mates can never be sure of what will happen next with me.

Anyway, that's my dribble for now!