View Full Version : What the heck is wrong with my cupcakes?

krisp
03-25-04, 06:57 PM
I'm baking some for my son to take to school tomorrow, and the first batch browned strangely. Each has a browned circle on top, but not anywhere else. They have also crumpled a bit since I removed them from the oven. (Couldn't leave them in any longer, as the browned parts were about to burn.) I suspect my thermostat is messed up ... the last few things I've tried to bake have not come out the way I expected. Anyone else had this happen?

krisp
03-25-04, 09:05 PM
What, you all have better things to do than ponder my cupcake dilemma? :( Hmmph. I did a little research and concluded that my oven is screwed up. I do have a second, better oven that can go into the kitchen. We just have to have a little wiring done first.

Since my son's class is not studying impact craters yet (and that's what these look like), I'm taking something else for snacktime tomorrow. The cupcakes look weird, but taste fine, and I'm thinking they'll make good shortcakes tomorrow. :)

FlakeyGirl
03-25-04, 09:18 PM
I pondered, and pondered and pondered. I just stink at cooking anything and would never be able to afford you an explanation. The only thing I use my oven for is heating tater tots and other bulk packaged convenience crap. My first and only option when required to provide a children's snack is to go for some overpriced, overpreserved, prepackaged, unethically marketed but super fun and popular junk. Sorry babe, can't help this time!

krisp
03-25-04, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by FlakeyGirl
My first and only option when required to provide a children's snack is to go for some overpriced, overpreserved, prepackaged, unethically marketed but super fun and popular junk.

Sounds yummy. Where can I get some of that? ;)

Ace
03-26-04, 11:25 AM
Only thing I can think of is that the cupcakes were on a rack too high in the oven, but if you've successfully baked cakey things on that rack before, it must be your oven's thermostat. No need to replace the oven if you are willing to call a repairman (I am unable to do that, and have countless things that don't work right around the house).

jaimegerise
03-26-04, 11:29 AM
Tell ya what...send me some samples and I will tell you what is wrong. :p

krisp
03-26-04, 11:42 AM
They're rapidly disappearing as I run forensic tests on them.... I WILL get to the bottom of this. burp!

Spirit
03-27-04, 04:49 AM
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner Krisp.

I'm up to my eyeballs in sick computers right now thanks to the various mydoom & netsky virus running amuck.

One thing you could try is to buy a oven thermometer. Set the Oven dial on 350 degrees with the thermometer placed inside. After 20 minutes check to see what the thermometer says.

Then you can adjust it and play around with different temps to see where you might need to set it for baking cakes etc. Print this out on an index card and stick it on the your fridge for easy reference.

I had an old stove with a bad thermometer in it. I used this method for a few years until I could afford to replace it. I wanted a bigger oven anyways..lol

krisp
03-27-04, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Spirit. I do plan to get a thermometer. I started using this oven when we moved here about a year ago, and always suspected it ran hot. For a few months, I was able to make it work by setting it about 25 degrees lower than I wanted it to go. But it's clearly getting worse. Not sure how much work I want to put into figuring it out, though, when I have another oven I like better in the garage... :rolleyes:

Spirit
03-30-04, 10:36 PM
LMBO..guess you could bake them in the Garage instead. *Kidding*

Yeah I would say if you was able to adjust it before and now it seems to be getting worse. I would say it's had it. Guess it's time to clean the one off in the garage and move it inside. ;)

Good Luck Hon!

FlakeyGirl
03-30-04, 11:39 PM
Spirt, that is not a bad idea at all, baking in the garage. Our house is not well insulated and it gets very hot here. Starting around this time of year, say through, oh, November, I use the microwave and stovetop only. An oven in the garage is genius. There is already 220 in there.

Mary
03-31-04, 12:48 AM
LOL>>> reminds me. The Amish have a building seperate from the house called the summer kitchen. They have it almost like a huge screened in pavillion...only it has windows that close if need be. They do all their cooking there in summertime.

krisp
03-31-04, 10:10 AM
That's a good idea! A second kitchen could come in handy during holidays, too. ;) Though I would be tempted to leave all the dirty dishes out there until spring....

Mary
03-31-04, 10:52 PM
LMBO..... Never thought of that! Hubby bought me a dishwasher, but I can't even use it...has to be him or kids...mostly him as kids don't want nothing to do with dishes.

Spirit
04-01-04, 01:58 AM
The place that we presently live was an old resort. The original wood burning cook stove is still in the summer kitchen..although it is leaning real bad now. I think the only thing holding it up are the ivy vines that grow all over it. Oh and we still have the original wood burning cook stove here in the kitchen in the house as well. The one in the house is in a lot better shape, but both have all the pieces.

LMBO FG...I'm glad I could be of some help. Sounds like you will be baking in the summer from here on out. :D