View Full Version : my story on pristiq

Universal
12-07-08, 03:04 PM
i had just recently stopped taking pristiq (2 days) i mean sure it helped with depression. and i have only taken it for 2 weeks and i'm aware that you have to wait till the 2nd month to actually see results. but i was so unconfortable with the way it had me feeling that i just called it quits. It was like one sticking a pencil to your stomach and your taking the pain everyday. It helped with depression but it made me feel blank/empty/useless and clueless so i couldn't take the pressure and discontinued it. (-this is what i will tell the doc) before taking pristiq, i was taking lexapro which worked out great, the only thing i didn't like about it, was that it made me sleepy during class and such. I been thinking and still debating if i should ask the doctor to be put back on lexapro or try something new. i'm not sure yet.

umm thats all for now, i just wanted to share that for some reason lol....

legnabarber
12-26-08, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I agree witht the side effects. Actually, my doctor told me to take 1/2 of the pill b/c of the side effects you stated for about two weeks. It had no effect on my depression. And when I took the whole pill it made me throw up up. Furthermore, taking 1/2 of the pill made me lose my apetite. When i went back i just told her that I was not depressed at all b/c I did not want her to tell me to continue trying the medicine. She then suggested that I take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I refused b/c I am not going to force myself to eat or take a medicine that I have insistently told her makes me throw up. Anyway, thats my two cents.

And to be honest, my failed medication attempts for depression coupled with the side effects of anti-depressants --tells me that I am better off without them. I figure this way, I'm not a danger to myself or others and I can still pay my rent on time

I hate toturing myself

Xeon
01-24-09, 10:59 PM
I'm currently on Pristiq and it's not working. At first it was working and I could feel it blocking out the depressing thoughts. But after a week my body adapted to it like it does most medications, and I'm back to being super depressed. In addition to that I am now having panic attacks for no reason at all, horrible worrying all the time about things outside my control.

Ohh did I also mention it raised my blood pressure to stage 2 hypertension and now im on blood pressure meds as well! I also feel drunk and high for about an hour after taking it and cannot drive on it.

Now I'm afraid to stop taking it because of the "brain zaps" people describe from being off "desvenlafaxine".

Emmanemm
12-01-09, 01:44 AM
i had just recently stopped taking pristiq (2 days) i mean sure it helped with depression. and i have only taken it for 2 weeks and i'm aware that you have to wait till the 2nd month to actually see results. but i was so unconfortable with the way it had me feeling that i just called it quits. It was like one sticking a pencil to your stomach and your taking the pain everyday. It helped with depression but it made me feel blank/empty/useless and clueless so i couldn't take the pressure and discontinued it. (-this is what i will tell the doc) before taking pristiq, i was taking lexapro which worked out great, the only thing i didn't like about it, was that it made me sleepy during class and such. I been thinking and still debating if i should ask the doctor to be put back on lexapro or try something new. i'm not sure yet.

umm thats all for now, i just wanted to share that for some reason lol....

THANK YOU! My advise is follow your instinct, it has got you this far and maybe it's also why you felt the need to share this (with like-minded individuals)! You and the ones who truly love you know the best - not our doctors who see us for one hour a month but also prescribe us with drugs which they may receive incentives to prescribe such as overseas holidays and gifts.

Research show that SNRI's and SSRI's are not recommended for our symptoms as their side effects include loss of concentration and increase agressiveness. Adding these substances with ADHD medications containing amphetamine can have some VERY dangerous side effects such as serotonin syndrome, and at the least would most possibly cancel out the positive effects of dexies and cause a serious unconnection between your actions and feelings.

Did you really have depression in the first place? Pristiq is prescribed for major depression and I feel that you may have possibly been labelled as depressed when you were actually suffering from ADHD the whole time. This was what happened to me.

Good luck

APSJ
12-01-09, 02:26 AM
You and the ones who truly love you know the best - not our doctors who see us for one hour a month but also prescribe us with drugs which they may receive incentives to prescribe such as overseas holidays and gifts.

Your loved ones may know you best personally, but unless they happen to be doctors familiar with your medical history, your loved ones probably don't know your neurology as well as your doctor, and are almost certainly not as well equipped to make decisions about psychopharmacology. Of course, your doctor can never experience exactly what you experience, so its crucial that decisions about things like medication be made in as close consultation with your doctor as possible.

However, "going with your instincts" when it comes to medication is a very dangerous idea. Many medications, particularly many antidepressants, can cause serious unpleasantness if not used properly, particularly if they're stopped abruptly. Speaking only for myself, one of the reasons I needed antidepressants (and still need other psychiatric medications), was that my instincts tend to be fairly self-destructive.

Research show that SNRI's and SSRI's are not recommended for our symptoms as their side effects include loss of concentration and increase agressiveness. Adding these substances with ADHD medications containing amphetamine can have some VERY dangerous side effects such as serotonin syndrome, and at the least would most possibly cancel out the positive effects of dexies and cause a serious unconnection between your actions and feelings.

While I've never seen research suggesting that SSRI's or SNRI's would be useful for treating ADHD, I've also never seen any research suggesting that they're contraindicated by ADHD. I took Prozac, an SSRI, for about a decade, and never experienced any greater loss of concentration than I already had, or any aggressiveness, and have never seen either listed as a side effect of it. I also took (and continue to take) methylphenidate, a stimulant, and didn't notice any difference in the side effects when on and off Prozac.

I have read that there is some risk of rare serious interactions between amphetamines and certain antidepressants, however, from everything I've read, and heard from people who take the combination, in the vast majority of cases, amphetamines work fine, and safely, with SSRI's and SNRI's.

Did you really have depression in the first place? Pristiq is prescribed for major depression and I feel that you may have possibly been labelled as depressed when you were actually suffering from ADHD the whole time. This was what happened to me.

I can certainly imagine how depression could be a symptom of ADHD, and that for some people, as you say was the case for you, treating the ADHD could be enough to eliminate the depression as well. However, in others for whom ADHD is the source of their depression, it can take on a life of its own, and need to be addressed separately from the ADHD. Then, for some, like myself, the two can have separate origins. I have a family history of depression on one side of my family, and ADHD on the other. I have both(although the depression is mostly controlled), and they both manifested themselves when I was very young. Treating either alone would have made the treatment of the other far less effective, as they tend to feed into each other.

While I would agree that its possible to confuse the two, and important not to, I think its equally important not to dismiss one as an aspect of the other inappropriately.

hollywood
12-02-09, 05:28 PM
what does research show about bad life situations that warrant stress , hostility and then all of a sudden your sitting around and wondering why you can't focus...Oh , you tell yourself it's okay I'm adhd and my stimulant should be working but then it's not working , or let me correct myself it's not diminishing that hostility, that blue feeling , or that lack of motivation that stress and anxiety create. So there you sit full of research and know how but there you site unable to focus and scattered because your adhd and now add depressive to your plate... Pristiq may not work for you , but let me say this, anxiety and depression happen and they can and will coexist. So I suggest you go advise somebody , somewhere else how to take or what one should take if they have adhd ... Oh I forgot people with adhd can get depressed and anxious too..... Wow , thats astonishing! These meds help those with symptoms , stop pretending like your smarter than those they are meant for bra!

meridian
12-09-09, 06:19 PM
Wow very different side effects and results all around.

I am taking Prozac 10mg, Pristiq 50, Strattera 80 and Klonopin 0.5 and beginning to feel well most of the time.

The only side effect I had from Pristiq was I was suddenly craving chocolate and chocolate chip cookies and gained 8 lbs in 8 weeks. Adding the Strattera (which was last one into the mix) has completely killed my chocolate cravings, plus I am off caffeine for the first time in more than a decade.

Basically I think it became obvious to my doc that SSRI (Prozac) alone wasn't working anymore, and SNRI (Pristiq) while helpful wasn't getting me out of the hole either so adding another SNRI (Strattera) has been wonderfully beneficial.

justaperson
12-11-09, 06:15 PM
personally, i feel the state of mind in this case is controlled by just that. there are cases where pharmacological intervention can prove of some benefit, but, in all the source of depression still exists. case in point, you can pump yourself full of chemicals that would convince your body otherwise, but generally there is a cause or reason to follow the emotion.

did you notice any changes in cognitive function with the lexapro as opposed to baseline? maybe you could elaborate in terms of what you feel without medications and some of the changes you felt otherwise.

thanks.

ps: interesting sign-up date!