View Full Version : No medical insurance for while. What do I do?

12-07-08, 07:23 PM
I'm in college and I'm taking this semester off of school, mostly to get my life together as I just figured out that I have ADHD the past few months. Due to my decision to take some time off of school, I was removed from my parent's medical insurance until school starts again in January. I am currently undiagnosed, but I want to see a doctor to get advice, meds, and all that. Normally I would just stick it out, but it's getting really bad, and I just want to talk to a doctor about this. What are some other things I can do besides see my regular doctor? Is there some kind of magical ADD clinic down the block that I don't know about?

I'm open to anything at this point.

12-13-08, 03:10 PM
I understand your situation.

I would look into the community health services in your area and see what is availale, possibly socialized medicine.

This is a good place to begin your search, I'm pretty sure that you will find something that helps you.

Also, call one of the large hospitals in your area and see if they have couseling clinics.

This is an out of the box idea: work at starbucks part time and get insurance through them. They also have stimulants available.

Good Luck

12-19-08, 01:35 AM
Go to your school's Disability Office.

My own university had an emergency drug fund.

Talk to the ADD doctors/psychiatrists there. Most student health centres and disability offices know of an LD/ADD psychiatrist that treats their adult post secondary students.