View Full Version : focalin xr trial

hollywood
12-10-08, 04:32 PM
I just switched from concerta to focalin xr. I requested the switch because although concerta is great and has been for so long it was cutting into my sleep and I was getting pretty fatigued during the weekdays. Well I've been on focalin xr for 2 days, yeah I know thats nothing. The good thing is that I'm sleeping tons better and I'm getting tired at more of a normal time. The bad news is that I'm feeling like I'm jet lagged , I'm guessing this will go away after I catch up on my sleep. Anybody else experience this? Focalin xr doesn't last half as long as concerta, my meds are done mid afternoon. Sucks because my woman has to put up with me acting like a tard, but I'm hoping when I catch up on sleep it'll last longer and with more efficiency... Anybody else experience this? I get better lasting symptom control with concerta but I had to take a sleep aid and I don't want any more meds than necessary ... Hope my rambling made sense..

scarygreengiant
12-10-08, 08:45 PM
I just switched from Concerta to Focalin XR too! What a coincidence. Today is my first day on it. We could compare notes. :)

scarygreengiant
12-10-08, 08:48 PM
Maybe you could talk to your doctor about adding a small dose of Focalin in the afternoon as a "booster" when the Focalin XR poops out in the afternoon. That's what my doc did. I was taking Concerta and Prozac in the morning and then a 5mg booster of Focalin in the afternoon. Now I'm on Focalin XR 20mg and Cymbalta and I take 5mg of Focalin in the afternoon/evening.

hollywood
12-10-08, 11:44 PM
sweet ... Hows the cymbalta work in combination with the focalin. From what I hear cymbalta is basically like wellbutrin with the serotonin benefit. Anyways I will have to check and see about adding a dose of focalin in the afternoon.

JR1973
12-11-08, 01:44 PM
You could always try Daytrana as another option. You control the length of dosing. No up's and down's. Takes a couple hours for it to really get going but once it does it works steady until you either remove it or it runs out (after about 15 hours).

J

hollywood
12-11-08, 03:20 PM
Jr,

I think thats a good idea, so with daytrana once you take it off your body , it's like an hour and the meds out of your system correct? So, no sleep issues I would assume? My doctor advised that their have been too many issues with the patches falling off and what not, and I'm a high dose responder which he added could make dosing more difficult . Is this true?

JR1973
12-12-08, 01:05 PM
Supposedly it takes about 2-3 hours for the residual medication to clear the body so you could yank the patch off at dinner time or so. I never had problems with the patch falling off but they are a pain in the ***** to remove from the backing material.

Dosing is a bit tricky since the patches are labeled as an 8-9 hour dose (but the actual patch contains much more for up to 15 hours of dosing). I think a 10mg patch contains 27mg, a 20mg contains 54mg and a 30mg patch contains 81mg of methyphenidate.

Actually since you used to take a large dose of Concerta trying Daytrana may be more of a hassel. You'd be wearing at least (3) 30mg patches a day.

hollywood
12-12-08, 03:44 PM
WHAT? 3 patches of the 30mg amount ..? I thought that the conversion would be a 30mg patch would equate to 81mg mph? Actually I think using the patch " a 30mg patch" which would be 81mg mph and adding a concerta and or an ir ritalin may be a good option. That way I'd be absorbing more from the patch and have to only take a few pills . Wouldn't that work?

JR1973
12-12-08, 05:30 PM
That's where Daytrana gets tricky. The dosing of the patch is what you get for 9 hours of wear time. In the case of a 30mg patch for 9 hours. The 30mg patch contains 81mg though (if you wear it for 15 hours that's how much you'd be getting).

Your strategy with mixing Daytrana with Concerta or Ritalin IR might be a good one.

notmADD
12-17-08, 04:51 PM
Well, my new pdoc gave me Focalin XR 20 mg. I just took it 10 min ago, I'm gonna put my daughter down for a nap and hope I feel motivated to clean my house, and focused enough to complete one task at a time.

notmADD
12-18-08, 02:42 AM
ugh...not a lick of focus or motivation. I felt stoned and like my body was very heavy.:(

hollywood
12-18-08, 03:16 PM
that sucks.... Focalin XR for me is just okay, I've had incremental success with it . By that I mean when I taper my dose down substantially for a few weeks it seems to really help. Yet I get that effect with most adhd meds, your going to always have the med be a little less effective at times and will need to adjust dosing up or down occasionally for best results. Yet I have to say that focalin xr right now is not helping me like regular ritalin or concerta usually does..

notmADD
12-18-08, 06:23 PM
My pdoc says that if I try a different drug for a while then switch back to adderall, it may work like it used to. He doesn't believe you can build a tolerence to amps but after reading so many posts on the subject and my own personal experience, I don't see how that can't be true. So I got a CAL/Mag/Zinc chelate supplement. I'll take that w/ my new mood stabilizer, Zonegran, for the next few days then try my adderall again. If that doesn't work I'm going to ask for good ol'fashion dexadrine. My dad was on it when he was in college...after he flunked out the first time, coincidence? I think not.