View Full Version : Flooded basement cleanup.

EYEFORGOT
12-12-08, 09:35 AM
Yep, it's about a foot deep or more. I have someone coming to help me fix it.

Do you just throw everything out? I have no idea where to begin when it comes to cleaning it all up. Do you wait until the water is gone? What about mildew? Just mop with bleach?

We've gotten water in the basement before, but never this much. :(

Lady Lark
12-12-08, 11:05 AM
Some things that got wet can be dried out, or washed and dried and be saved, while some things (paper a good example) a pretty much shot.

Is there drywall, or is it an unfinished basement? If you've got drywall, cut off what got wet and get rid of it.

I'd suggest you rent a dryer (I think you can find them at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc) and run it until it's dried out. Rip out any carpet cause it's a goner, and get up/out as much as the water as you can, as soon as you can. Pull out everything that got wet, and basically get it dry as quick as possible.

Once it's dry you can go in with bleach and give it a good scrub down. You're probably going to want to air it out, if possible cause no matter what it's gonna smell funky for awhile.

chartreuse
12-12-08, 11:11 AM
Oh, that really sucks.

We've had some minor water problems before. First thing I would do is get anything that is in the water out if you possibly can. With appliances that might be impossible, but anything smaller, try to get it out as long as you can do it safely. Nothing is worth slipping and breaking a leg on mud.

If it's just stuff that's been in storage, ask yourself if you really need it. If not, just throw it out.

Other than that - wash clothing immediately, even if it means going to a laundromat because your W & D are in the basement. Anything that is solid - like plastic bins -wipe off with a mixture of water and bleach. To a large extent it just depends on what you have down there - but if you can't wash it off or run it through a washer, you should probably not bother unless you REALLY need it.

As for dealing with the basement itself, ours is concrete or cement (there is a difference, but I don't know which ours is) and my BF doesn't even use a cleaner - just gets the water out and then sets up work lights to dry it. If it's a finished basement - I don't know. Mold can be a real problem. I think just trying to get it dried out ASAP and then have someone out to inspect it might be the best bet.

Good luck...

Lady Lark
12-12-08, 02:32 PM
Chel, my parents have a basement and it's flooded more times then I can remember. if you want, PM with what's down there and I can let you know if/how it can be saved. unfortunately I have lots of experience with this.

EYEFORGOT
12-12-08, 03:16 PM
We have a cement floor and concrete block walls. It's basically for storage and laundry. We're hoping to get the sump pump fixed for the next flood...it will happen. The gentleman helping us pump it used to live on our street and everyone has a good sump pump for this reason.

I'm wondering if I should invest in redoing the floor. Once things work correctly, maybe I should get any cracks in the floor, etc filled in and the walls ... do something to them, I have no idea what. I'm not planning on finishing it, no carpet or anything. But I also don't want mildew problems throughout my house.

Lady Lark
12-12-08, 03:34 PM
With it being concrete and brink you're not likely to have mold issues, if the stuff down there that got wet is taken care of.

Pictures and papers can be saved if they can be laid out on a towel and left to dry. books are hard since they're all bound, and when paper dries it'll stick together. The paper will kinda wrinkle up, so it won't be 100% any more, so I'd only bother with stuff that you really want to keep.

Fabrics should get washed and dried, and most hard stuff (plastic, wood) just needs to get wiped off and dried.

Honestly, if it's just for storage and laundry I would bother with the walls. Brick is "good" for flooding, but drywall has to be replaced every time. I probably wouldn't bother with the floor either, cause caret will have to be replaced, linoleum will pull up, and wood will warp. Sealing cracks is always a good idea. And maybe keeping things in plastic bins so if it does flood what you want to keep stays dry, and all you have to do is wipe off the outside.

Well, that's my $4. Hope it helps. :)

EYEFORGOT
12-12-08, 04:37 PM
It helped.

I have an inch of water to finish cleaning up, because the sump pump used only could get so low.

Off I go, with my piddly wet/dry vac and a prayer. And then I'm investing in rubber boots so I can handle this better next time.

Now I just need to get my water back on. Boy, are we gonna stink when all of this is over. blech

waterdamage41
09-04-13, 06:41 AM
agreed with Lark that if there is just for storage space and washing laundry I would hassle with the surfaces. Stone is "good" for surging, but sheet rock has to be changed every time. Closing breaks is always a wise decision. And maybe keeping things in nasty containers so if it does overflow what you want to keep remains dry, and all you have to do is clean off the outside.