View Full Version : Recovering Addict, 2nd week on Vyvanse, and depressed.. and advice?

lovesburberry
12-14-08, 12:59 AM
So I posted a little bit about my side effects on the Vyvanse thread before I knew this one existed cause I'm new, so here's my deal...
I'm in recovery from drugs (and alcohol, but was a very serious opiate/cocaine addict) and just started taking Vyvanse. I have a very solid foundation in my recovery, and have been sober for over 18 months. I attend AA, weekly therapy, close to my sponsor, family support, psychiatrist, so on and so forth.
My therapist and I thought my ADD has been getting the best of me lately, especially at work, but at school too (full time college student, and work approx 20 hrs a week), and thought the time was right for me to start a medication. This is my first time ever being treated for my ADD, and I'm 23 years old.
The first day was a smack in the face, I was overwhelmed by the 30 mg and felt similar to when I had taken adderal in the past, but not quite the same. Got a lot of school work done that night. Next few days were fine, then all of a sudden the side effects kicked in.
I'm on 30 mg/day and as of the past few days feel minimal positive effects (I'm coming up on 2 weeks on the medication in a couple days). The crashes progressively came sooner in the day, and today I felt nothing but a headache after I took the meds, and I have been really depressed the past couple days. I don't feel like myself.
I'm not eating much at all, lost about 6 pounds, but that's not a bad thing. But I think it's making me feel a little weak. I'm also having a lot of joint pain with the end of the day headaches.
I'm really hoping these side effects are temporary, as the drug really did help me a lot the first week, it definately did what it was supposed to do. But now I'm chattering in my head a lot, and feeling morose and guilty for taking a stimulant. I'm also having an unusually bad week, things at work, school, with my car, and christmas are overwhelming me to the point of wanting to break down.
Does any one have any advice? Any one else in recovery that has had these effects? I want this medication to work and I want to give it a fair chance, but I'm struggling.
Also, I am on Suboxone 4-5 mg/day for opiate addiction maintenance. Anyone else on this as well? I'd really appreciate any advice or encouragement, thanks so much

Johnny123
12-14-08, 01:22 AM
your lucky to even get prescribed something like that, My GP said he didnt want to prescribe ritalin/dexamphetamine because i'm a serious caffeine addict (no really i need so much caffeine to get any effect now).

lovesburberry
12-14-08, 02:24 AM
well lucky is a relative term, i'd rather not have to take something if i didn't have to

EricWKL
12-16-08, 06:08 AM
Once an addict, always an addict my friend. Those "head aches" you are experiencing are nothing more than the reward part of the brain demanding to be pleased, like a snotty 5 year old brat. The part of your brain will never forget how it won you over so many times with your past substances. The best thing to do is to become addicted to beneficial tasks, such as weight lifting (I believe it's better than running for addiction). Anyway, just because the reward part of your brain has a snotty nosed brat side to it doesn't mean you can't succeed to your full potential. You will find ways to reward it in a healthy manor, I promise :)

SuzzanneX
12-16-08, 08:27 AM
wow..

..uhm, hello.

I'm a recovering meth addict of four years.
.....adderrall has changed my life for the better.
of corse, someone else holds em for me so I don't go nuts.
.....but, suffering needlessly was never in any recovery books I ever read.
it is in alot of psychology books on why people kill them selves.

I think you should speak to your doctor about it.
........I don't think headaches come from "the evil you"
I think there is a reason, it gives you headaches.
....maybe blood pressure? I dunno.

I just wanted to encourage you, it sounds like your head is on straight.

there are alot of addicts who have to take addictive meds to function.
...and it can be done.

If you don't believe it can be done, don't interrupt those who are doing it.
......you will find a way to make it work if you want to.

I wish you luck on the way.

suzie

lovesburberry
12-16-08, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I agree my headaches are not a consequence of the 'evil me' either, I believe it is a physiological side effects of the meds. I feel confident that I can make this work, I do believe it has the potential to change my life for the better, it's just making the adjustment that is a little challenging. Over the weekend I was very depressed but it may have been for other reasons, because I've felt better over the past couple days and I think my brain just needs to time to adapt to the medication.

Asylum
12-16-08, 12:28 PM
I have NO personal experience with drug addiction so i don't know what you've been through, but congrats on being in recovery and being sober for more than 18 months, you must be a really strong person. :)

If you can, try and ditch any thoughts of guilt etc about taking a stimulant. After all you're just trying out a drug that may help you with your ADD, that's all. It may help, it may not turn out to be beneficial in which case you'll stop taking it. All you're doing is getting help for a disorder that can muck with your life, and you shouldn't feel bad about that at all.

I stopped taking my Dex because A) it didn't work, and B) all it did was cause headaches and made me sweat. (So i was cranky and smelly, and still had ADD!) so i know how bad the headaches can get, not pleasant, and you're trying to study with them! What does your doc/phych say? Have you had a chat about how long you should trial this drug for in order to give it a fair chance?

:)I hope you are feeling better and wish you the best of luck.:)

cbeavers
12-22-08, 06:05 PM
ex-oxy/heroin addict, Im experiencing the same symptoms. I dont have any advice brother, im going through it to. By far the most painful, and aggrivating exsperience. I know I have done done alot of wrong in my days, but no one deserves to go through this experience.

p.s. you have been clean 8 months more then i have, props to you. I think you gave me a little motivation.
thanks

pADDyjay
12-22-08, 08:38 PM
:) wow

glad I stopped by!

the program does work if you work it!

Im still working mine

15yrs sobriety and still taking one day at a time

lovesburberry
12-30-08, 08:18 PM
ex-oxy/heroin addict, Im experiencing the same symptoms. I dont have any advice brother, im going through it to. By far the most painful, and aggrivating exsperience. I know I have done done alot of wrong in my days, but no one deserves to go through this experience.

p.s. you have been clean 8 months more then i have, props to you. I think you gave me a little motivation.
thanks

Good news!! It's been a couple weeks since I made my original post my mood and life are back to 100%, so keep your head up =). I feel much much better, after the first 2 and a half to 3 weeks the worst side effects subsided and now I totally feel like myself again. I feel confident that if you give it a little time you will feel better too, if you're not already. Congrats on your sobriety, sounds like you're coming up on a year, keep it up and good things will come!

SuzzanneX
12-30-08, 08:45 PM
I'm glad you feel better...

cpovich
03-23-09, 10:43 PM
So glad I stopped by...

The directions have not changed.

Keep it Simple.

God could and would IF He were sought.

4 years of sobriety and also taking one day at a time.

rowandude
12-11-10, 01:50 PM
So I posted a little bit about my side effects on the Vyvanse thread before I knew this one existed cause I'm new, so here's my deal...
I'm in recovery from drugs (and alcohol, but was a very serious opiate/cocaine addict) and just started taking Vyvanse. I have a very solid foundation in my recovery, and have been sober for over 18 months. I attend AA, weekly therapy, close to my sponsor, family support, psychiatrist, so on and so forth.
My therapist and I thought my ADD has been getting the best of me lately, especially at work, but at school too (full time college student, and work approx 20 hrs a week), and thought the time was right for me to start a medication. This is my first time ever being treated for my ADD, and I'm 23 years old.
The first day was a smack in the face, I was overwhelmed by the 30 mg and felt similar to when I had taken adderal in the past, but not quite the same. Got a lot of school work done that night. Next few days were fine, then all of a sudden the side effects kicked in.
I'm on 30 mg/day and as of the past few days feel minimal positive effects (I'm coming up on 2 weeks on the medication in a couple days). The crashes progressively came sooner in the day, and today I felt nothing but a headache after I took the meds, and I have been really depressed the past couple days. I don't feel like myself.
I'm not eating much at all, lost about 6 pounds, but that's not a bad thing. But I think it's making me feel a little weak. I'm also having a lot of joint pain with the end of the day headaches.
I'm really hoping these side effects are temporary, as the drug really did help me a lot the first week, it definately did what it was supposed to do. But now I'm chattering in my head a lot, and feeling morose and guilty for taking a stimulant. I'm also having an unusually bad week, things at work, school, with my car, and christmas are overwhelming me to the point of wanting to break down.
Does any one have any advice? Any one else in recovery that has had these effects? I want this medication to work and I want to give it a fair chance, but I'm struggling.
Also, I am on Suboxone 4-5 mg/day for opiate addiction maintenance. Anyone else on this as well? I'd really appreciate any advice or encouragement, thanks so much

yea, itll all get better...but the thing is(and I dont want to come off like Father Smith from sunday school) you must take personal responsibility..and by responsibility, I dont mean the surface level things like going to work and paying your bills on time...I mean being responsible...response-ABLE..of YOU choosing your response in ever event...because between what happens to us and our response to it, is our freedom to choose our response...every time. Keep in mind that most people(myself included) are addicted to the lifestyle A LOT more than to the substance. Once you know that YOU are the creative force of your own life and not a pill, the feeling of true liberation is felt, knowing that your security, well-being and sense of worth lies inside you. Please keep what I said in mind and consider it. Keep up the hard work...things WILL get better..trust :)

Dreamktchr86
03-13-11, 09:55 PM
Hey I know this is really late in the game - but I found out that for me personally, I tend to get headaches from Vyvanse once in a while, and it's always remedied with 250mg or 500mg of magnesium. I remember reading that amphetamines leach the magnesium out of your brain - and then I found out that many migraine sufferers (and other ppl with frequent or chronic headaches) are almost cured when they start taking magnesium daily. The way I figure, if magnesium deficiencies produce headaches, and I'm taking a drug that leaches that out of me, then 1 + 1 just might = 2 ... and it did! I have heard that some people experience a decrease in the effectiveness/duration of Vyvanse if they aren't taken at least 2 hrs apart, but I also notice that taking magnesium daily also helps Vyvanse work MUCH better for me (duration, evenness of strength, etc...).
Hope that helps!

noig3
04-24-11, 02:14 AM

I know that this is a total necro-post but I am in recovery as well and I am struggling with my enjoyment of the effects of my medication. I am taking 10mg of Dexedrine and while it seems to be helping with my symptoms I feel guilty for taking it and I am constantly telling myself "You are a liar, you don't have ADD" and things like that. I was diagnosed as a child and went untreated for a long time and I am lucky that my life has been pretty good outside of never finishing anything, never really reaching my potential etc. I am now being treated and I am struggling with the guilt. I take my meds as prescribed (even a bit less, I wait a bit longer between ingestion times). I still feel guilty though. It sucks.

So, you are not the only one that dealt with this. I have been clean for 10 years and this is really messing with my head. I am going to keep going though and talk to my doc to see if I can get a time release med. Maybe I will feel less guilty if I only have to take two pills a day lol.

franzshire
04-27-11, 03:43 PM
I was addicted and using drugs for years (emphasis on opiates). I have been sober over a month and have no desire to get high since starting my wellbutrin and adderall. The first week and a half of adderall was hard, I had headaches, and crashed hard. It stopped once I gained a tolerance and continued the same dosage. Everyone is different though.