View Full Version : Body Image

PaulyD
12-14-08, 05:22 PM
Kids can be so cruel and we can be so sensitive to how we are preceived.
I Have a large birthmark that goes from my right peck down across my belly to just above my belly button to the middle of my back. So at an early age i started the avoidance techniques,like removing myself from certain activities. This is after being teased due to the obivious physical difference. Then by grade 6 i just stopped going to gym class or going without a change of clothes so i couldn't participate. To this day i will not take my shirt off in puplic.

Today i dont think it is all about the birthmark, i have developed many other insecurites about my body and myself over the years. I have had 2 intimate relationships in my life, both i discarded like garbage after a year or so. Yes there is alot of guilt, at the time none. I think the inconsitancy of my sexual performance combined with my self sabbotaging behaviours, has played a huge role in how i precieve myself today. 28 year old male, that hasnt dated anyone in 7+ years.

My question is :
What did you do to break the cycle self-sabotage/giving up?
How have you dealt with changing your body image?

Shirei13
01-26-09, 04:21 PM
I hope to also get an answer to your two questions, I am also in a similar boat, I don't have any large noticeable "defects" but I do seem to go through a cycle of self-sabotage and I also will not take my shirt off in front of other people because I have a poor self body image. (not sure how to word that last line)

PaulyD
02-03-09, 06:30 AM
Like everything else in life, its about personal discovery and acceptance of yourself. You can ask what one has done to effectively deal with it. For some this may work, for me i needed a lot of outside info to be able to come to my own conclusion.

What have i done to change the self sabotaging behavior:

Take 5 minutes to analyze the situation
Ask for help or advice
Trail and error

what i have done to change body image :

Diets, Exercise, listening to others that have dealt with similar issues
talk therapy and Acceptance!

Yes i am answering my own question... its not the first time.

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 02:57 PM
i used to be called csareface witch was not nice but in the end the ore they did the more i just carred ion as i do now i make light it then as i used toi say iam 2faces in one sooo 2 brains bettter than one allways worked for me but i do see your point epeole are crawl in life its how we deal with it as well if couse it gets outer hand then something needs to be done dorm

PaulyD
02-03-09, 07:56 PM
well i have to say the above post was incredible difficult to translate.

stillfightin
02-04-09, 02:04 AM
Kids can be so cruel and we can be so sensitive to how we are preceived.
I Have a large birthmark that goes from my right peck down across my belly to just above my belly button to the middle of my back. So at an early age i started the avoidance techniques,like removing myself from certain activities. This is after being teased due to the obivious physical difference. Then by grade 6 i just stopped going to gym class or going without a change of clothes so i couldn't participate. To this day i will not take my shirt off in puplic.

Today i dont think it is all about the birthmark, i have developed many other insecurites about my body and myself over the years. I have had 2 intimate relationships in my life, both i discarded like garbage after a year or so. Yes there is alot of guilt, at the time none. I think the inconsitancy of my sexual performance combined with my self sabbotaging behaviours, has played a huge role in how i precieve myself today. 28 year old male, that hasnt dated anyone in 7+ years.

My question is :
What did you do to break the cycle self-sabotage/giving up?
How have you dealt with changing your body image?

Well, you need to ask yourself, are the issues I see with my body correctable? If so, ask yourself what are the necessary steps/actions that are needed to remedy the situation. Birthmark? Have you considered laser surgery. Overweight? Lose weight. Sexual performance... Not sure what the issue is there, but I'm sure it's correctable.

PaulyD
02-04-09, 03:13 AM
All things i have considered, researched and/or attempted. Thank you for your replies, i realize that i just need to write things down and i am able to develop my own answers once i know the right questions.

dormammau2008
02-04-09, 05:06 PM
sorry pualin my spelling issss something iam not very good at being dyelaixa but what i mean isss that the hard life gets the more you have to work to be happy with who you are!! i hope thingss work out for you be well and happy dorm :p