View Full Version : Insomnia/Anxiety meds interacting w/ ADD meds

Sammmm
12-15-08, 11:01 PM
Hello
I've suffered from ADD for most of my life, along with Anxiety and Insomnia. I recently(around a year ago) was diagnosed with ADD, Insomnia, Anxiety, and Depression, but i had/have been wanting to be prescribed ADD, Insomnia, and Anxiety medication(i have no desire to medicate my "depression") for about two years.
When I went to the doctor he prescribed me only medecine for my ADD(Vyvanse). I didn't like how i was reacting to it and have since tried Ritalin, Focalin, Concerta, Adderall, and Dexedrine. I am currently on Dexedrine and am still not being treated for my Insomnia and Anxiety.
I believe that if my Insomnia is treated that my Anxiety will get better, so I have been taking all kinds of Over The Counter, and Homeopathic medications(so please do not suggest Melatonin or anything like that, they don't help for me). I am going to the dr. tomorrow and I want to get prescribed a "Nonbenzodiazepine", (like Ambien, or Sonota. Not Lunesta, it doesn't really help as much as I bet the others would) and I just want to know if there would be any reactions between taking Stimulant ADD medications in the morning along with Nonbenzodiazepine Insomnia medications in the night

ADHDNEWB
12-15-08, 11:13 PM
Ask about Seroquel. That will definately put you to sleep. I'm only at 25 mg's right now and that's working fine. Although I can take up to 50 mg's. I think the strongest dose you can get is a 400 mg pill - although that would probably put a horse to sleep. It has the same sedating effects as xanax IMO, but without the dazed feeling the next day. Ambien didn't really work for me after about 2 weeks.

As for your other question, I am taking Adderall 2 times a day. Once in the morning and another later in the day. I take my Seroquel at night and have no issues.

BTW...

I'm in Austin to. Nice to meet ya.

Sammmm
12-16-08, 01:10 AM
thanks for your suggestion, i've never tried Seroquil, but i've heard a lot about it. Everyone i know who's taken it doesn't really like the way they feel(like a zombie) when they take it. And even though it does get them to sleep, they say that it's not a relaxing sleep to any extent. Most(me included) also feel the same way about Anti-Hystamines, so I think that those two are out of the question.
Because of that I think that the best thing to try would be either Nonbenzodiazepines; like Ambien and Sonota.
and if those don't work Benzodiazepines that are prescribed for sleep; like Restoril and Valium.
Thanks though, nice to meet you too :)

Driver
12-16-08, 01:33 AM
I dare say your insomnia is a consequence of your depression.

It sounds like you may need to compliment your dex with an SSRI like Lexapro, or switch to a SNRI like Effexor.

ADHDNEWB
12-16-08, 01:53 AM
thanks for your suggestion, i've never tried Seroquil, but i've heard a lot about it. Everyone i know who's taken it doesn't really like the way they feel(like a zombie) when they take it. And even though it does get them to sleep, they say that it's not a relaxing sleep to any extent. Most(me included) also feel the same way about Anti-Hystamines, so I think that those two are out of the question.
Because of that I think that the best thing to try would be either Nonbenzodiazepines; like Ambien and Sonota.
and if those don't work Benzodiazepines that are prescribed for sleep; like Restoril and Valium.
Thanks though, nice to meet you too :)

i don't get how anyone would feel like a zombie, because you take it, then 15 mins later you zonk out. i've also taken it when going through a bad manic state - really helps then. i dunno, it's worth a shot. everyone reacts differantly to meds. ambien was alright as well, but it didn't work to well after a couple weeks use. let me know how it goes.

beachwalker
01-31-09, 09:23 PM
I chew off a third to half a seroquel (ie 8-12.5 mg approx) after dinner around 8 pm and generally find this adequate to go off to sleep quite easily at 10pm.

I find this the best med for sleep so far. However when taken at 50mg I find the zombie like effect cuts in and then is one of the worse sleeping meds so far. Even the whole 25 mg pill if I take it late in the night it gives me a mild zombie like effect the next day.

I initially thought seroquel is strong for me because I am relatively a light weight male,
but I have a friend who takes just a quarter a 25 mg pill (ie 6 mg approx) a night and reckons it is the best ADHD sleep pill about and he weighs 120 kg and is built like a brick ****house.

I wonder how much of the bad flak on seroquel, making you a zombie etc is a case of people overdosing with it when it is solely used for insomnia?

I think it may stem from our experince with more linear dose-respone type drugs. but seroquel is entirely non linear in its effects I am finding. I guess we ADHD people are so use to linear dose response type drugs that it takes some time getting our head around the experience that a drug like seroquel that is used in schizophrenia at 400 mg plus could pack such a subtle but powerful punch at 12 mg or less!

All I could say is that I found it to be worthwhile putting aside the negative reports on seroquel at first and trying it for if it does work for you at very low doses ie 12 mg or less, then it is many times better than benzos and non benzos for side-effects addictiveness etc in my experience, and at low doses it is actually relatively much cheaper as well.

(I also take about 3 mg of melatonin at bedtime)

ps I should add I dont find at these low doses seroquel is the drug that gets me off to sleep no matter what (but it has improved my sleep, getting off and staying asleep dramatically overall) However I still keep Temazepam on hand for that 1 night in 21 when seroquel needs some help and this way I get the best of what benzos can offer without the worst