View Full Version : Just Diagnosed w/BPD by 2 docs, now what?

bentbob
12-18-08, 02:50 PM
For the last 6 years I've been heavily medicated w/a diagnosis of ADHD, BiPolar, and Anxiety, etc. But things kept getting worse and worse, my condition was deteriorating. It was my dad who kept telling me that it was my personality that was the problem. I knew it, but I didn't know about personality disorders. I looked into them, and I was floored. Out of the 9 criteria for BPD listed in the DMSR, I fit perfectly all of them. So now what to do. I go to my shrink, and he says, oh yeah, that makes sense. I look around: very few people want to treat this illness. I found out about DBT and trying to find some help to get that. But it's the medications that have such a profound effect on me. I hate them so much. I have so many side effects, I go off of them, then I can't handle it, and I go back on them. I am completely dependent on stimulants for my ADHD; I can't function without them. I wish my Dr. told me when I started taking them that I would be addicted for life. W/no meds specifically for BPD, and my meds for Bipolar not doing anything, I feel lost, confused, and the social isolation of BPD is absolutely killing me.

Bluerose
12-21-08, 04:54 PM
Few people want to treat BPD because the patient can't be relied on to attend appointments or stay on meds. If you can reassure whoever you are seeing that you really want help and will attend appointments and stay on meds you might actually get some help. Hating the meds is going to cause a serious problem. Is it taking them you hate or is it how they make you feel?

ADDMagnet
12-23-08, 06:41 PM
Hi BentBob,
My husband has BPD and ADHD, my daughter has BPD, ADHD and GAD. I have a friend who is BPD, Bipolar, ADHD and has anxiety. They have all been helped tremendously by a doctor who specializes in BPD. You might want to check out his website at biologicalunhappiness (http://biologicalunhappiness). There is hope. This doctor has no problem treating the disorder. The only problem area is when an individual has certain other disorders, in particular, narcisstic personality disorder, ASPD or Passive-Aggressive traits (no longer an official PD).

Good luck,

ADD Magnet

Darkangel001
12-27-08, 07:25 AM
I thought that I might have BPD a while back but because I am a medical student, I refused to look more into it, because I think it will definitely affect my chances of being allowed to practice after I finish my degree.

However, when I did look into it, I read from the BPD forums that unlike what most docs think BDP is not uncurable, this doc from yorkshire I think, believes that the illness is caused by some form of trauma in childhood that has not been resolved and that is now 'coming out' as an adult- he has thus successfully enabled the recovery of many patients, through psychotherapy.

There is a video of bdpworld I think it was called on google, you might want to check it out- if you can address your bdp, then I think your ADD might be more manageable.

I personally agree with what the doc is saying, there is no strong biological proof whatsoever that BDP is biological, saying that a PD is biological and cannot be cured is not only really dangerous but it also means that the unfortunate person that has sought the diagnosis, is an even worse position that before.

I hope I have helped.

ADDMagnet
12-27-08, 11:14 AM
I personally agree with what the doc is saying, there is no strong biological proof whatsoever that BDP is biological, saying that a PD is biological and cannot be cured is not only really dangerous but it also means that the unfortunate person that has sought the diagnosis, is an even worse position that before.

I have researched BPD quite a bit, reading more than a dozen books, countless articles, research studies, etc. As I mentioned earlier, not only have my husband and daughter been diagnosed with the disorder but I have several friends with the disorder, my friend and neighbor has a daughter with the disorder, some other friends who have family members with the disorder, etc. Most of these individuals, but not all, have been diagnosed and treated by the same doctor our family has seen (Dr. Leland Heller whose website is www.biologicalunhappiness.com (http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com) ). I have had countless discussions with Dr. Heller, attended his lectures, read his books and just about everything on his website. I have also spoken to my friends who either have the disorder themselves, or someone in their family does, at various times and have had innumerable discussions about the disorder, treatment, etc. I have seen the dramatic results that the right treatment can make and the unfortunate situations where an individual refuses to get help.

Research has proven that there is a biological connection. One can inherit a biological vulnerability that predisposes one to be more susceptible to the disorder but does not guarantee the person will develop BPD. Trauma and/or abuse is definitely a risk factor but it is not present in all cases.

What I believe about the disorder from all that I have read, seen, and experienced (and there is a lot of misinformation about the disorder and theories that I strongly disagree with) is that it is first and foremost, not a true personality disorder. It is a medical illness/condition that can profoundly affect the personality but it can be treated (not cured) and managed effectively to the degree that few, if any, of the symptoms and criteria for the disorder are present.

I liken it to diabetes in many ways. Someone can have risk factors for Diabetes 2 but may or may not develop diabetes. If you have a poor diet, are overweight, don't exercise, etc., your chances of developing diabetes is greater than if you do your best to eliminate all the risk factors that are under your control. And some individuals, in spite of living the healthiest lifestyle, may still develop diabetes.

Secondly, Diabetes 2 can be effectively managed in most situations with medication, proper diet and exercise, testing and whatever other recommendations your doctor may have. If you take the medication but ignore the other treatments, or just choose one of the recommendations to work on, your outcome is not going to be as great as if you follow all of the recommendations.

The key to successful treatment of BPD is finding a knowledgable and experienced doctor (that can be pretty much a rarity), taking the appropriate medication, treating all other comorbidities, therapy and changing your thinking, education about the disorder, support from others and attending to your spiritual needs.

A few facts about BPD:
It is the most common unknown illness
The most recent scientific research of a large magnitude showed a prevalence rate of 6% of the population and equal prevalence rates for men and women. (Previously, many were told that the rate was between 1 and 2% and that it ocurred predominantly in women.)
Much of the available research was based on clinical populations, who were generally more apt to be very low functioning and severe.
Most clinicians do not have a good understanding of the disorder, particularly when it is present in an individual who is high functioning and/or male.
It is frequently misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. Sometimes comorbidities may be diagnosed but the underlying BPD is missed. It is extremely rare for BPD to be the only disorder present. Depression, anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD, ADHD, OCD, OCPD and bipolar disorder are some of the other comorbidities that may also be present. Other PD's may be present as well.

I could go on and on but I'll stop for now. I highly recommend checking out the website I mentioned. There is a reason that patients from more than 40 states and 15 countries have come to see Dr. Heller for the borderline disorder. (He would prefer it to be called, "Dyslimbia", as he sees is as a malfunctioning or epileptic seizure of the limbic region of the brain). He also has the most optimistic and compassionate view of the disorder than anyone else I have ever met. And his success rate is phenomenal!

ADDMagnet