View Full Version : 11 yr old bi-polar

neon600
12-19-08, 08:58 AM
Ok, diagnosed adhd at 8 , aspergers this past June, October diagnosis changed to bi-polar, started risperdal in June, up to 1.75 mgs daily as of December, however gaining weight to fast, changed to 10 mg of abilify two weeks ago, not doing anything, cycling madly in the evenings. can anyone help me help her doctor find an age appropriate med that will actually work? I dont know much about the bi-polar meds, and was much more informed and prepared for the aspergers diagnosis, the bi-polar has thrown me for a loop, I've been lurking for awhile and would like any suggestions. Thanks!!!!

marshman_88
12-19-08, 06:44 PM
A mood stabilizer can help with the manic symptoms and to help reduce the rapid cycling. Lamictal is the best in my opinion because it helps with depression as well. I had to quit taking it due to some side effects but it was very effective in my case. Others to think about are lithium, depakote, and tegretol. I assume they all work in children the same way as they do in adults. Good luck.

neon600
12-19-08, 07:17 PM
Thank you, she is seeing a fill in psychatrist on Monday (hers is on "maternity leave" with his wife) so hopefully your info will help, she is very, very, very hyper, and as the night goes on she spirals through many other emotions and after being exhausted from the ride crashes. Her bed time this week consisted of 900pm Sun, 800pm Mon, 730 Tues, 630pm on Wed (mind you at 710 realized she hadnt even taken her med even though I gave it to her) and last night was 630!!!!!!! But the hyper activity is massive and the spiral is even harder on both of us cuz she just gets nastier and nastier as the night wears on.

neon600
12-27-08, 08:25 PM
still on 10 mgs per day, has evened out some, but still has "moments", appetite has NOT decreased since changing to abilify. Have, however, let her have dairy products again (those from the past will remember this amusement ride), she actually ate pizza last night but still likes the "very vanilla" soy milk. As they say, you give some, you take some.