View Full Version : Is Neurofeedback a treatment for ADD / ADHD?

Azariah
12-22-08, 06:55 PM
I am looking for an alternative solution instead of taking Ritalin that’s currently being prescribed. I found this site offering Neurofeedback / EEG as a means to helping with ADD / ADHD. I called the office and the information that was given sounds promising.

There office is located North Houston and after talking with them, they mentioned that the process would take several sessions and eventually I could reduced or eventually eliminate my meds (with my doctor's approval). If true I think I may look into this.

Here are my questions....
Has or does anyone know if Neurofeedback is effective?
Most importantly has it helped?
Have you reduced your meds?
Has anyone seen or been to this center?

Thanks

garyames
12-23-08, 01:25 PM
I became a neurofeedback therapist because I was so impressed with the research and success neurotherapists were having with ADHD. I have no doubt that neurofeedback works for a very high proportion of those with ADHD. In my practice it is clear because people are able to withdraw from their medications. Almost all of my clients reduce or eliminate their meds.

You said it was expensive. Yes and no. Expensive compared to what? I think it is cheap compared with suffering from poor attention and all the problems that can mean in your life.

Neurofeedback is flexible. Home training is possible. Insurance may cover some.

Dizfriz
12-23-08, 02:10 PM
At this time the jury is still out on neurofeedback.

That does not mean that it does not work just that it has not been yet backed up scientifically. There are some very promising studies but that is all. The current best description is "possibly efficacious". In otherwords, promising but needs more research

It is quite expensive and I would suggest caution unless you can easily afford it. If you can then I don't see who it could hurt, might be worth a try.

Here is a good write up on it on the National Resource Center on ADHD, pretty much the official information site on the subject of ADHD.

http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6A

Note the last paragraph.

Good question. I wish I could have a firm answer but alas it is not to be at this time, hopefully later. It would a very good thing if it was shown to be effective.

PS, there has been a lot of discussion on the forum on the subject of neurofeedback. It might be well worth your while to do a search.

Dizfriz

FrazzleDazzle
12-23-08, 04:06 PM
It always just looks spamily suspicious when a poster comes on board and asks a question including a link followed by another brand new poster with another link.

Dizfriz
12-23-08, 04:19 PM
It always just looks spamily suspicious when a poster comes on board and asks a question including a link followed by another brand new poster with another link.

And on closer look, Gary Ames, the second poster is selling biofeedback. Mmmmm! Could there be a connection?

Great old Lily Tomblin line:

No matter how cynical you become...............

Pause

It's never enough.

Dizfriz

QueensU_girl
12-23-08, 06:43 PM
no, neurofeedback is not a proben ADD treatment. dopamine boosting/stimulant medication is, however.

mctavish23
12-23-08, 11:28 PM
Dizfriz is right.

The jury is "still out" on whether this is an effective treatment or not.

In order for that to happen, it will require those data to achieve longitudinal validity & reliability.

As of today, that has not happened.

That's not to say it won't, or that there isn't considerable research indicating promise;because there is.

By the same token, there's even more data on Continuous Performance Tests (,i.e., TOVA), as an assessment tool.

One of the most definitive summaries on the use of all tests,including Continuous Performance Tests (CPT's,i.e., TOVA), is in Chapter 9 of:

Barkley,R.A.(2006).Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder : A Handbook For Diagnosis And Treatment (Third Edition).NewYork: Guilford Press.

Chapter 9 : Tests and Observational Methods

Edited by Michael Gordon
Russell Barkley
Benjamin J.Lovett

The number of tests deemed appropriate for the sole diagnosis of ADHD are ...ZERO (including all neuropsych tests and all CPT's).

Therefore, if CPT's are considered as an outcome measure of improved performance,or treatment efficacy, those data won't hold up.

There's a prolific amount of research out there that will eventually determine the answer to this question.

Without criticizing the technique or the research behind it, Dizfriz's statement is accurate.

My internship was divided between a Token Economy and testing on he Neuroscience Unit at a state hospital in NC (1975).

My first "real" job out of graduate school was as a Biofeedback technician in a Pain Clinic.

That was in 1977,which makes me ancient.

At my current postion, I initially worked with some adults;before my practice became exclusively children.

I did use some thermal biofeedback for headaches,which also showed promise.

But that was long ago and the technology has truly advanced.

My point is that even though the science has advanced considerably, I 'm not inexperienced in the underlying theories.

One of the online newsletters I subscribe to is largely about neurofeedback.

I have been and still am impressed with what I've seen and read.

By the same token, those data have not achieved the level of longitudinal validity & reliability required for all scientific research to be "proven" as an accepted treatment that consistently "works."

I could go on about the need for more clinical reseach ( rather than academic) ,as well as the recent criticism of the Conner's Rating Scale;particulary the Teachers Form.

At any rate, the data on the use of stimulants dates back to 1937 and has been largely positive for the treatment of ADHD.

It would be an exciting enhancement in the treatment of ADHD to see these data obtain that same level of validity & reliability over time.

Thank you for raising this question.

Happy Holidays

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Infinity
11-21-09, 09:46 PM
My therapist mentioned she knew of a woman who was doing both ritalin

AND Bio or neuro feed back . Not sure which one .

Ill check in with her this Friday to make sure I heard her correctly.

Infinity~

Joker_Girl
11-22-09, 09:06 PM
Our son received neurofeedback for about 6 months (it was expensive IMO, our insurance would not cover any of it, and it was $100 an hour, twice a week). He was about 12 or 13, and we actually DID get him off his medication (at that time, Adderall). He is now 18, and over the years, I have observed the effects of it have worn off....I think if you continued it on a weekly basis, it may work for some people. My concern at that time was that the Adderall would stunt his growth....which it did not....
The lady who did this said that the way she could tell he was ADHD was that his brainwaves were very slow, and that is a sign of ADHD....she tried it on me and said that I also showed signs of ADHD...in fact both of us were quite severe...
I later was sent to a psychologist who diagnosed me with ADHD and have been on Ritalin for about 6 months, maybe a little longer.
I am not going to have neurofeedback. I do think it helped, while he was getting it. But if I had it once a week that would be $400 a month. The Ritalin is $35 a month.
I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it other than that it is expensive, but if you have insurance that will cover it, I think it's great for a person who wants to get off of medicine.

mctavish23
11-26-09, 07:45 PM
One of the biggest complaints has been and remains the expense involved,as well as the

number of sessions.

Good Luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)