View Full Version : Are the Bipolar meds canceling out the Stimulants?

Quimby
12-23-08, 12:06 AM
I'm on depakote, which has made me exhausted, and am on geodon and ritalin.

Im curious about the antipsychotics, because the work against the exactly neurotransmitters the stimulants are working on. Specifically for me it'd be D2 that geodon blocks, and that ritalin increases.

Do they cancel, or who wins?

All that i know is that im so tired no matter how much we take.

Regards,

Brian

marshman_88
12-23-08, 02:25 AM
Basically you are wasting money because the geodon is blocking any good effect you would get from the ritalin. I was in the same situation. I stopped taking the Geodon and my Vyvanse started working for me. You will probably won't be so tired if you get rid of the Geodon. I only take it at night now.

adhdogwalker
12-31-08, 02:18 PM
I am not a doctor so can't answer your question with anything other than my personal experience with stimulants and anti-psychotics.

I take 90-100 mg. adderall a day and have been for well over a year. In addition to that, I have also taken Seroquel and Abilify. I find that the antipsychotics actually increase my concentration and help me a lot with executive function and general organization. Everyone is different, but for me, the drugs seemed to work in conjunction with each other rather than against each other.

If you feel like the Ritalin is not working, maybe you could ask your doctor about switching stimulants. Ritalin does have a tendency to make people feel like zombies (that was what it did to both my sister and brother). You might also want to ask your doctor if you can skip the geodon for a bit and see if the ritalin and depakote work together. (Depakote increased my concentration even more than adderall does).

Good Luck in finding the right med combo-- it took me over a year to arrive at my current cocktail of: 15 mg. Abilify, 90-100 mg. Adderall and 300 mg. Wellbutrin.