View Full Version : Have you ever had to yank your computer plug out of the wall to make yourself log off

spunkysmum
12-25-08, 02:42 AM
Just wondering if I am the only one. LOL.

chowmix
12-25-08, 02:54 AM

Yes, sometimes I just disconnect the wireless connection.

This is terrible for us, no? :D

meadd823
12-25-08, 08:51 AM
Have you ever had to yank your computer plug out of the wall to make yourself log off

Yes

No -

One time some one actually angered me I pulled the plug before I could finish my four letter word followed by a "U" response. . .

kwalk
12-25-08, 01:18 PM
download-lock and rest. :D

chowmix
12-25-08, 07:37 PM
I use Firefox with 'Leech Block' add on (free) that allows me to specify how many hours/day or minutes/hour etc I can spend on certain sites. I can always override it but it makes work possible.

I also have a program called. MacBreakz (paid) that forces a break every so often for ergonomics, but it also helps break the trance I fall into all to easily.

goddessonahiway
12-25-08, 08:41 PM
I use Firefox with 'Leech Block' add on (free) that allows me to specify how many hours/day or minutes/hour etc I can spend on certain sites. I can always override it but it makes work possible.

Oh wow. I use firefox and have just added this. Thanks so much for posting it!! I may have just added so much time to my day. :D

kwalk
12-25-08, 09:14 PM
you're going to love it- I do, I've already grown out of the forums by blocking it a few days.

chowmix
12-25-08, 10:53 PM
you're going to love it- I do, I've already grown out of the forums by blocking it a few days.

But we'll miss you, kwalk. (What's kwalk mean?)

The ONLY think I don't like about leechblock is that it tends to block the site right in the middle of writing the best post you've ev

chowmix
12-25-08, 10:57 PM
Oh wow. I use firefox and have just added this. Thanks so much for posting it!! I may have just added so much time to my day. :D

It's saved me hours. I actually got enough writing completed to pass my manuscript on to an editor AND prepare to for January lectures AND my summer sessions.

I set up stuff like forums (this one) to no more than an hour a day. News sites, no more than an hour a day. Facebook, 10 minutes an hour.

The first few times it pulls the plug, it's pretty dang annoying, but some times you need a slap in the face!;)

chowmix
12-25-08, 11:07 PM

Has it allowed you to play your guitar more? Have your applications yielded any opportunities?

Be seriously glad you are addressing yourhead now and not putting it off. I was seriously screwed up in H/S and college with the popular drugs of the 60s/70s and loved meth, but quit everything ()when I hit 22.

My daughter, 24, is OCD/ADD as well and I'm encouraging/supporting her efforts to deal with it. She's choosing no drugs for now. My sister also has it. My sister not as bad as me and but lives by reminders (paper, electric) My mom is OCD, my dad ADD. We've hinted they should maybe ask for a bit of help, but folks at that age are even harder to change than people my daughter's age range (No offense intended ... ;) I possibly offended everyone but 53-year-olds in that tirade!)

NekoGirl
12-25-08, 11:52 PM
I once had a friend of mine enter the password into sites I'd locked down. He gave me the password at the end of my semester... was pretty effective.

spunkysmum
12-26-08, 12:54 AM
Yes

No -

One time some one actually angered me I pulled the plug before I could finish my four letter word followed by a "U" response. . .

I know this is the one thing that will work, because I will not sit around and wait for it to reboot, I absolutely have no patience waiting for slow computers. Once it's off, the spell is broken.

spunkysmum
12-26-08, 12:58 AM
It's saved me hours. I actually got enough writing completed to pass my manuscript on to an editor AND prepare to for January lectures AND my summer sessions.

I set up stuff like forums (this one) to no more than an hour a day. News sites, no more than an hour a day. Facebook, 10 minutes an hour.

The first few times it pulls the plug, it's pretty dang annoying, but some times you need a slap in the face!;)

I'm not sure something like this would work for me...I don't have home internet access so when I'm not at my parents' house, I have to go to the library, which lets you log on for "a maximum of one hour" but will let you log off and back on if nobody else is waiting for the computer. It takes mere seconds to do that. I can do it for several hours without missing a beat.

NickL30
12-26-08, 01:18 AM
If you yank out of wall literally won't you damage the computer?? The only proper way to turn off is by shutting down.

The best way is to absolutely not log on in the first place. If I wake up and start using internet, I am almost certain to be scrambling to get out of house and be at least 15 minutes late to work

goddessonahiway
12-26-08, 11:05 AM

I am sure I need a slap in the face to get off this thing sometimes.

I once had a friend of mine enter the password into sites I'd locked down. He gave me the password at the end of my semester... was pretty effective.

That's a great idea. My hubby would LOVE to help get me off my laptop more often! I think I'll have him make up the password.

fizzlesticks
12-26-08, 12:22 PM

I also have a program called. MacBreakz (paid) that forces a break every so often for ergonomics, but it also helps break the trance I fall into all to easily.

Fantastic - they sound so helpful! I'll look them up.

stef
12-26-08, 05:40 PM
[ this really is kind of funny, to be online reading about how to spend less time online...:rolleyes:]
NEVER even think of turning on the computer in the morning when you have things you should be doing (errands etc.).

chowmix
12-26-08, 05:44 PM
this really is kind of funny, to be online reading about how to spend less time online

Actually, this truly is hysterically funny. I may go unplug now....:D

kwalk
01-03-09, 11:39 PM
Has it allowed you to play your guitar more? Have your applications yielded any opportunities?

Be seriously glad you are addressing yourhead now and not putting it off. I was seriously screwed up in H/S and college with the popular drugs of the 60s/70s and loved meth, but quit everything ()when I hit 22.

My daughter, 24, is OCD/ADD as well and I'm encouraging/supporting her efforts to deal with it. She's choosing no drugs for now. My sister also has it. My sister not as bad as me and but lives by reminders (paper, electric) My mom is OCD, my dad ADD. We've hinted they should maybe ask for a bit of help, but folks at that age are even harder to change than people my daughter's age range (No offense intended ... ;) I possibly offended everyone but 53-year-olds in that tirade!)

kind of, I havent had the internet, sometimes i steal someone elses wireless, but the luck has been bad lately... So because of that i cant look up tabs and saving them makes it all out of order if it's offline. I am more opt to play the guitar with tabs then like doing the dinky stuff in how to learn a guitar. That and i havent had the motivation to mush up the concentration of learning details like that. But.... in general getting past the iniation of playing it, gets hard sometimes if I haven't entertained my brain or done some other task before it. Then sometimes i do perfectly fine starting from there.

I also might be reading other things better, having all this left over hyperfocus to read something other than ADD stuff. I've also learned i need glasses and they make it less of an effort to get past just "really" wanting to read a few sentences.

KatInOuterSpace
01-05-09, 06:59 PM
My mom has literally "flipped the switch" on our computer when I was younger and pretty much addicted to some internet chat rooms.

Then I said "screw you", demanded all of my money in my savings account, and said I was moving out. I guess I was 19 or so....

We ended up working everything out but ugh, now that you mention it...I was still online chatting at 5 am when she was just getting up to go to work. (during my breaks off from college)

Now I'm just addicted to the regular internet...news sites, these and other forums, facebook....and my husband is just as frustrated as my mom was...sigh

I can't bare getting one of those timer things. I think it would make me too depressed knowing I couldn't have it!

kwalk
01-05-09, 10:28 PM
My mom has literally "flipped the switch" on our computer when I was younger and pretty much addicted to some internet chat rooms.

Then I said "screw you", demanded all of my money in my savings account, and said I was moving out. I guess I was 19 or so....

We ended up working everything out but ugh, now that you mention it...I was still online chatting at 5 am when she was just getting up to go to work. (during my breaks off from college)

Now I'm just addicted to the regular internet...news sites, these and other forums, facebook....and my husband is just as frustrated as my mom was...sigh

I can't bare getting one of those timer things. I think it would make me too depressed knowing I couldn't have it!

I thought this way too, but then I didn't see all the other things I needed or wanted to do, as i couldn't get on the computer, as being that annoying of tasks at all. My hyperfocus actually kind of feels like real focus and I stopped craving the computer after one or two weeks. It's like all that weird energy of overstimulation kind of dissapears!

Wisefolly
01-07-09, 09:30 PM

OMG, thank you SO much for posting this. I am unemployed right now, and I'm having so much trouble getting off the computer and getting started on what I need to be doing.

Do you know of a program similar to MacBreakz, but for a PC? Also, I'm running Vista. (Yes, I know. *sigh*)

Also, if anyone knows of a program that will pop up and tell you how long you've been on the internet (and preferably allow you to enter your own message into it as well), I'd appreciate it. I tried Cool Timer, but it freezes up on me then doesn't let me do anything at all. I hyperfocused while searching for another one, but I still couldn't find it. (That felt so counterproductive.) Any tips appreciated!

Thanks!

kwalk
01-07-09, 11:29 PM
Meetimer- tracks websites your on and how you are spending your time on them
PesterMe- comes up every few minutes or however long you like and you type whatever messsage you want it to say.
InstantBoss- basically a timer that gives you breaks and makes sure your doing what you're suppose to.

let me know if you have trouble finding the links, i'm tired and too distracted right now i know i'll totally get lost somewhere in my head if i go search for them lol

inattentiveprof
01-12-09, 01:54 PM
I use Windows Vista parental controls on myself to restrict time, programs used, and restrict internet sites. (I give myself a limited account, control it from an administrator account with the password in another location.) It works well and the "user account control" system means it's secure. I've just set it up but it seems better than other systems I've tried in the past.
I'll try LeechBlock too, thanks for the hint. Hopefully it can't be circumvented because I know I'll do that if it can be done.
For the PC AccessBoss time controls are a little bit more sophisticated than the standard Vista time controls (15 min intervals and total time limits) but only a little and it's extra software to manage, but maybe useful to some people here.

spunkysmum
02-04-12, 02:32 AM
Meetimer- tracks websites your on and how you are spending your time on them
PesterMe- comes up every few minutes or however long you like and you type whatever messsage you want it to say.
InstantBoss- basically a timer that gives you breaks and makes sure your doing what you're suppose to.

let me know if you have trouble finding the links, i'm tired and too distracted right now i know i'll totally get lost somewhere in my head if i go search for them lol

Still havent got around to trying any of those. :D

emarrific
03-05-12, 05:32 PM

Wow, this is brilliant! I may have to do this for my work computer for sure! Thank you for this great idea.

:thankyou:

emarrific
03-05-12, 05:33 PM
[ this really is kind of funny, to be online reading about how to spend less time online...:rolleyes:]
NEVER even think of turning on the computer in the morning when you have things you should be doing (errands etc.).

Yes, the internet is full of irony... :doh: