View Full Version : Anyone sleep with the Daytrana patch on all night?

Smitten79
12-30-08, 06:47 AM
If you have tried this, I am curious whether you notice better sleep. I understand it is a neurostimulant but there was a study showing better sleep parameters in children with ADHD with Instant Release Methylphenidate. Perhaps combining Daytrana with something like Clonidine (which is a novel sleep aid and ADHD medication as well) would work better at minimising the awakening properties of the patch.

Would love to hear people's sleep study results without any medication and compared to a sleep study having the Daytrana patch on all night. Would there be a decrease in the Apnea-Hypopnea Index and Sleep disturbances in general (right to the levels of 'neurotypicals') I wonder?

bgammill
01-14-09, 03:32 AM
According to Wikipedia, you are the only person on Daytrana on this forum. Tough luck.

KDLMaj
02-01-09, 03:27 AM
Hrm, since I'm apparently all about trolling the boards the last few days (Been very sick- so stuck at home), I"ll revive this one.

The study on methylphenidate and sleep (Actually there have been a few, I believe, but one more recent than the others) never claimed, or even indicated, that adults slept better while on methylphenidate. In fact, the subjects were all studied hours after their medication had worn off. That's part of what made the study so interesting. Technically, these people no longer had any actionable amounts of methylphenidate left in their bodies, but they were experiencing sleep benefits regardless. I believe in the last study, the researchers surmised that the benefit may actually have derived from the day of more even brain activity rather than as a direct result of the methylphenidate itself.

Having said that, I definitely used to use low doses of adderall to sleep. But I did notice that if I took more than 5mg, my sleep wasn't nearly as restful as it normally was. Meanwhile, if I took the 5mg or just timed my XR to finish up an hour or two after I fell asleep, my quality of sleep was much improved.

wifeandmom
02-08-09, 11:14 AM
My DD used to inadvertently sleep with her patch still on. It didn't seem to cause any problems. Hard to tell though; she's a teenager.

gunnmom
02-18-09, 04:53 PM
I dont know about you but I have a six year old son on Daytrana and boy, what a pain it is for him to get to sleep at night. He used to go to bed around 7:30 and now he is falling asleep around 11:00.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Momofadder
02-20-09, 10:15 AM
Clonidine for sleep. My son was actually on that before he was even diagnosed with ADD.

wifeandmom
02-20-09, 03:30 PM
It takes a couple hours for the effects of Daytrana to clear your system once the patch is removed. Start taking it off earlier in the evening:

"The mean elimination t1/2 from plasma of d-methylphenidate after removal of Daytrana™ in children aged 6 to 12 years was approximately 3 to 4 hours. The t1/2 of l-methylphenidate was shorter than for d-methylphenidate and ranged from 1.4 to 2.9 hours, on average."

You may also need to adjust the dose downward after chronic use. For some reason, the body metabolizes it more "efficiently" over time:

"When Daytrana™ was titrated to effect in the pivotal phase III clinical efficacy study, after at least 6 weeks of therapy with 9 hour wear times when applied to alternating hips, the mean peak d-methylphenidate (d-MPH) plasma concentration was 39 ng/mL with a range of 0 - 114 ng/mL. These mean peak concentrations varied inversely by age ranging from 25 ng/mL, (range 2 - 80 ng/mL) in 12 year olds, to 53 ng/mL (range 18 - 83 ng/mL) in 6 year olds.

Daytrana™ mean peak d-MPH concentrations were approximately 1.9-fold higher than the highest observed concentrations after a once-daily oral methylphenidate formulation over a period of 7.5 to 10.5 hours, when Tmax typically occurs. These higher concentrations were observed for all children 6 - 12 years of age, both overall and when grouped by age. The Daytrana™ peak concentrations on chronic dosing were also higher than Cmaxs seen with Daytrana™ after single dosing, or 4 days of multiple dosing. With single doses of Daytrana™, peak concentrations were comparable to Cmaxs from single doses of the once daily oral MPH formulation.

The observed exposures with Daytrana™ could not be explained by drug accumulation predicted from observed single dose pharmacokinetics and there was no evidence that clearance or rate of elimination changed between single and repeat dosing. Neither were they explainable by differences in dosing patterns between treatments, age, race, or gender. This suggests that transdermal absorption of methylphenidate may increase with chronic therapy with the methylphenidate transdermal system."

Site quoted:
http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/daytrana/pharmacology/