View Full Version : Driven or Delivered which is best to buy?

Darkangel001
12-30-08, 08:42 AM
Hello,

I've been meaning to buy a book by the author for some time, but now he has 2 books, and I am not sure which is best to buy?

I was immediately drawn to this author, because he is a doctor with ADD and I am a medical student.

I live in the UK, I would like a book that would show my doctor that I have ADD without any reasonable doubt. I am on the warpath as it were, so I am just arming myself with info so I can finally get what I have known now for ages to be the right diagnosis.

So what do you guys think?

ginnal
12-30-08, 08:49 AM
I think the guy is largely a quack.
Especially the hunter gathered nonsense.
I found "Getting Unstuck" to be better reading.
It's more fact and less fluff.
Admittedly I only read delivered and put it down halfway through but thats because it was not compelling enough to finish and certainly didnt inspire buying anything else he wrote.

Darkangel001
12-30-08, 09:01 AM
Hey, thanks for your input- why did you like getting unstuck- who wrote it- soz cos there are load of getting unstuck on amazon? and why do you think the author is a quack??
IS there any books out there with someone who struggled with ADD through Uni? From what I have read whilst the authors claim to have ADD- none of them talked about their talking strategies whilst there were there in any of their books.

Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

Driver
12-30-08, 09:27 AM
Define "better"?

Darkangel001
12-30-08, 10:03 AM
Hey, sorry I got confused by your question- I am going to assume you are asking about the post's question.

By better- I mean the one that is worth more and can help my psychiatrist understand better about the symptoms that I have- I am interested in the diagnosis more- which I know is what Driven is about- but Delivered is meant to be the one more up to date?

SO where does that leave me?

Grafter
12-30-08, 10:41 AM
I think the guy is largely a quack.
Especially the hunter gathered nonsense.

Thom Hartman discusses the hunter-gatherer theory in his book Beyond ADD.

That was not Hallowell & Ratey.

OP:
I found Delivered from Distraction to be a more useful read in regards to Adult ADD. And highly recommend it.

Also, you may be interested in some of John Ratey's individual writings.

Lunacie
12-30-08, 10:47 AM
Thom Hartman discusses the hunter-gatherer theory in his book Beyond ADD.

That was not Hallowell & Ratey.

OP:
I found Delivered from Distraction to be a more useful read in regards to Adult ADD. And highly recommend it.

Also, you may be interested in some of John Ratey's individual writings.

Yeah, I was going to say it wasn't Hallowell and Ratey who said that about hunter/gatherer.

I was able to read the Driven / Delivered books from my local library, is there any chance you could do that? If they really speak to you then you would know which ones you'd want to buy for your home library. I don't know if either book was really more helpful to me, I only know that I broke down and cried with the first book, finally someone understood what I had been going through all my life (I read the book at the age of 53).

goddessonahiway
12-30-08, 11:03 AM
I just downloaded the audio book of: Delivered from Distraction from my local library. Looks informative... I'll post up once I've listened to it.... could be a little while! :D

Darkangel001
01-01-09, 09:50 PM
Thank you guys- and happy new year!! I have been trying to keep away from the forums- which is why this was not answered straight away.

Delivered from distraction thus seems to be the winner?

Also where can I find John Ratey's individual files?

Azkary
01-07-09, 02:08 PM
I am currently reading Delivered. As opposed to Driven it focuses more on adult ADD than the first one. It's very informative and it has some interesting stories of ADDers that helped me get a better idea of the different types of ADDers and how each one coped with the different situations they had to face. It made me feel special and that I am not alone. Very positive book.

Darkangel001
01-29-09, 08:09 PM
Hey guys, decided I needed to update on this- after much deliberation and the joys-ahem I am sorry I should probably not say that- but yes some of the 'advantages' the economic crash down has brought I was able to buy both books within 20- and therefore did not break the bank- AND- would be able to get them in about 4 days!!!!!! Love you Amazon!

I have yet to read them, but the reviews seem brilliant- so I guess I will just have to read them and see- and make sure I tell you what I thought- least I could do

THank YOU

musicman64
02-03-09, 02:10 AM
In my posts I have repeatedly talked about the benefits of reading delivered. It has truly changed my life.

gnbeg
02-03-09, 11:26 AM
I've read, uh listened to, Delivered on audiobook. I've even outlined it while listening. I recommend it.

Michiko74
02-03-09, 02:20 PM
Hands down, delivered. Dr. Hallowell really covers ADHD so beautifully in a way I have yet to see in other books. It's also written in such a sensitive tone, so encouraging. I remember reading in on the train, and getting weepy at some of the passages!

dkpoto
03-10-09, 12:05 AM
The Hunter Gathering theory is from Thom Hartmann. The two books mentioned here are by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey

Read "Driven" first, since it was published ten years before "Delivered" and built the foundation for ADHD self-help.

Dizfriz
03-10-09, 05:51 PM
As an addition, not a replacement for what you are reading, I might suggest this transcript of a workshop by Russell Barkley.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/showarticle/2054

Some, including myself, consider it to be the best write up on ADHD available on the internet. It is dated 2000 but most of the data is still basically pretty good. I do warn however that this is forty pages long and Barkley is information dense. It can be a bit of a struggle to work though and you probably will have to read through it several times but it is, in my opinion, very much worth the effort. I am going to suggest you start with this overview and then download or read the article from there.

Read all you can, the more you know, the better off you are. In dealing with ADHD, knowledge is the key. Once you understand the disorder, you pretty much know the direction you have to travel to manage it.

Good Luck

Dizfriz

Sam French
04-18-09, 03:15 PM
I have read Delivered just because it is a newer book. It HAS really helped me. I like reading case studies and seeing what has worked for other people.

pipermac
07-22-09, 11:18 AM
I read Both Books, Both are Great, But if you only had one I would agree with "Delivered"

flipnfly8
12-20-09, 10:32 PM
I love both books. Driven changed my life when I finally got around to reading it. I read Delivered shortly thereafter.

I would say that Driven has more background on defining ADD/ADHD. It's the initial source of knowledge. It helped me define everything that was ADD in myself.

In contrast, Delivered was more helpful in actually applying said knowledge of ADD to my life, and I think it was written TO the ADD audience. But it was very helpful to discover all of what was ADD first before trying to fix and apply it.

Therefore, I personally think they are best read together, as a set. If you can't afford it, your local library should have it available.

Lost Focus
12-20-09, 11:33 PM
I'm waiting for the likely ADDer who has both Answers and Delivered checked out of the library going on three weeks overdue, to return them so I can read them.

As for Driven, I've said it before in these forums. It was the most emotion invoking book I've ever read. It took about a week longer than I anticipated to read, because I was stopping every few pages to compose myself again.

melodicmichelle
05-11-11, 06:57 PM
I bought Delivered, and I don't regret it whatsoever. It's answered so many questions and it changed my perspective completely. I'd go for Delivered from Distraction.

SooZeeQ
10-19-11, 08:38 AM
Read "Driven" first, since it was published ten years before "Delivered" and built the foundation for ADHD self-help.

"Driven" has been revised... I bought the new edition last month.. pre-ordered through Amazon. Just wanted to mention that. :)

caylyn
10-23-11, 10:21 AM
I found "Delivered from Distraction" to be such a great help, that I actually asked the local library to put out a search to other libraries for his first book "Driven to Distraction".

There is a big difference between the two books. In the first book, "Driven" the doc must have been just finding his way around ADHD. ;) So far, I am not reading anything new. Although, the stories of how others discovered their own ADHD is interesting in "Driven".

The book "Delivered" offers so many suggestions on how to live with ADHD. The author makes it clear that meds are not the only answer - that we need to take care of ourselves physically and spiritually, also.

I was recently diagnosed ADHD and found this book to be tremendously helpful.