View Full Version : 1 book

Devon8822
12-31-08, 05:13 PM
What is the one book that all ADDers should read? If you could have only read one.. which one would it be?

ginniebean
12-31-08, 05:49 PM
I don't have one book, because I have only read three and they are very popular so I'm sure someone else will mention them.

While I may not agree with everything this guy says, I'd say this is 1 link everyone should read.

http://www.greatschools.net/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?date=4-12-05

TJake
01-01-09, 10:10 PM
I'll recommend 2 books depending on what you want from the book.

If you want to find out more about ADHD as well as treatment options, I recommend "Delivered from Distraction" by Hallowell

If you want help with getting organized (both house as well as life in general), try "ADD-Friendly ways to Organize Your Life" by Kolberg & Nadeau.

Both books were very helpful for me. You can also find user reviews on both books at Amazon.

QueensU_girl
01-03-09, 03:39 PM
1. Daniel AMEN's 'Healing ADD' (or his other books). (e.g. 'when your brain doesnt work right, your life doesn't work right.')
2. Mel Levine's DVDs (e.g. 'brain's are as individual as faces' (in structure/function); breakdown point analyzing in student or worker failures; etc.). The student Output is a good one.
3. First Impressions (what others see about you that you can't see yourself). (written by two psychologists)

kaseries
01-10-09, 10:28 AM
Devon,
Any book written by Dr. Russell Barkley, M.D., would be my recommendation. He is the premier in this area, however what information are you looking for specifically. Understanding, coping skills??

SB_UK
01-14-09, 03:37 PM
What is the one book that all ADDers should read? If you could have only read one.. which one would it be?

maybe and why (also)

.. which one would it be? and why?I'm particularly interested in 'and why(s)?'

- where the reason is something kinda' like 'the only person who I've seen in my extensive reading who describes X as Y -
- where description of X as Y really made sense to me'I haven't read the book (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=JrB&q=+site:www.addforums.com+SB_UK+Hartmann+Edison) -
Hartmann wrote 'The Edison Gene', 2003. I have it in my hands.

His intro starts with an earthquake in India and his sharing a train ride with some Indian business men and a physician. He asks if they are familiar with types of people who crave stimulation, lack focus, hop from career to career or relationship to relationship, but the whole time they remain creative and inventive? They, the Indian men all nodded and agreed that they know this type well. These are old Karmic souls, nearing enlightenment. The purpose of reincarnation is to eventually free oneself from worldly entanglements and desires.
The cultures are different, worlds are different. In one place holy, in the other mad.
- however this intro attracts me to a perspective on ADD (which is correct (under metaphor)) and which (to my knowledge) has only been expressed by Hartmann.

The metaphors abound in any field which aims its focus inwards -
- on the mind.

The reason being that we're studying the thing which is doing the studying for us.

The perspective which one needs to take to understand mind -
requires us to step out and look down upon our (then) previous self.

The reason why an ADDer cannot explain ADD to a nonADDer -
is that the nonADDer is actually incapable of taking on the perspective of ADDer -

- since the nonADDer mind is insufficiently complex to encapsulate our structure of mind.

This idea is no more complex than imagining a guy climbing some stairs -
each stair climbed offers a new perspective down -
encapsulating the immediately previous perspective down
(on lower stairs).

When we're born we begin a life cycle.

The process of evolution which delivered mind some 30,000 years ago -
at the speciation of modern man -

gave us the capacity to complete our life cycle.

The life cycle is similar in structure to the fly or butterfly.

Simply -
we're born - and then undergo a period of 'nurture' -
in which we're meant to develop our minds in a certain manner.

People who die without having completed their life cycle -
may be considered (within this close metaphor) -
as caterpillars which die in pupal stage.

The caterpillar and butterfly have a structure each,
where the butterfly's structure occurs after and is more complex than the structure of the caterpillar.

Imagine the caterpillar as the simple trunk of a tree
- and the butterfly as the complex branching crown of a tree.

The crown occurs subsequent to the trunk -
the butterfly occurs subsequent to the caterpillar

and the ADD mind occurs subsequent to the nonADD mind.

The structures of the nonADD and ADD minds may be considered the virtual equivalent of

the trunk

()))))))

and

crown -<-<-<
crown -<-<-<
crown -<-<-<
crown -<-<-<
crown -<-<-<

of a tree -

these have been called the

logical structure - linear paradigm
logical structure - nonlinear (metamodel web)
respectively

- and were inferred based on (and examining the two other examples given in this post) -
based around the observation that evolution of all things follows the same pattern.

A process of self-assembly needs to follow a regular pattern -
this pattern (in reality) -
has been generalized by ADDF:Stabile -
and then turned back in on itself -

in on our self
(our mind)

to define the nature of the thing which talks for us when we say 'me'.

SB_UK
01-14-09, 04:03 PM
oops!

- Recommend 1 book -

All of the posts (available at no cost from ADD Forums by searching on posts authored by 'Stabile'
~here~

will answer every question you have.

He's rather wordy :-) though -

so care!