View Full Version : Becoming overwhelmed by chores?

Bluerose
01-12-09, 06:04 AM
This works for me and it might work for you also.

If you have been putting off chores I find that making up my mind to do it on a certain day of the week at a certain time helps, it gives my brain time to get used to the idea. For example, I chuck a load of laundry in at 3pm on Mondays and Thursdays. I also have a day and a time for most chores. I hope you might find this helpful.

Erstwhile
01-12-09, 12:57 PM
This is good advice. I was reading in one of Hallowell's books (Delivered From Distraction, I think) about how ADD makes a person basically have two times: now and later, which leads to procrastination (I can do it later) and panic (everything suddenly has to be done now). Having a schedule helps break up that pattern and keeps the panic at bay, since you know that you don't, in fact, have to do everything right now.

Since my diagnosis I pretty much schedule everything - chores, work, leisure time. It's tedious and perhaps a bit OCD-ish, but it sure helps. ;)

ndnbutterfly
01-12-09, 01:26 PM
I totally agree!

Since becoming diagnosed, I too have started setting up a guide for my day.:)

It has helped tremendously. It also helps to have a husband that understands and helps out often.;)

I never planned anything before and my counselor is the one who suggested I try it.

I would definately recommend it to everyone that needs help with their daily routine.

It's also nice to look back at the page at the end of the day and see everything that I got done. (I love those little check marks!)

Flutterbudget
01-12-09, 02:23 PM
I find this to be true as well. I tend to be an all-or-nothing person, so either nothing gets done and chaos ensues, or I spend 14 hours cleaning non-stop.

I also tend to get overwhelmed when I look around at what has to be done -- because when I put my "cleaning eyes" on, I see EVERY SINGLE THING in microscopic detail. So, instead of simply mopping the floor and being done with it, I notice that the scratches on the floor, and next thing you know I am going at it with a rotary sander and refinishing every single hardwood in the house...I think subconsciously this is why I tend to procrastinate, because when I have only an hour, it forces me to prioritize more effectively and not get caught up in ginormous projects that will never, ever be done.

I also find that having a few tasks written on my little dry-erase board makes me feel a lot less anxious, probably because I don't have to remember them, and it is satisfying to erase them.

Bluerose
01-12-09, 07:42 PM
It is very satisfying ticking things off. But itís true too that if the list is too long it puts us off or overwhelms us.

Another thing I find helpful is having a place for everything and everything in itís place. Whether keys, scissors or whatever, after use I make a point of putting them back where they belong. It cuts down on the frustration of trying to find something you need.

I have bowls and baskets where I keep everything from keys to mail. I have them where I can just drop my keys in as I pass, then I always know exactly where to find them.

When I was a struggling young army wife with three kids a friend gave me a great piece of advice to help keep order, especially in the kitchen. She told me to ďclear as you goĒ. Instead of waiting until after dinner, or even the next day in most cases back then, clear up and put things away as you go. It took a little while for this habit to stick but it did and even today I canít stand sitting down to dinner knowing bread needs to be put away or empty packets and tins need to be binned. :)

pamkay414
01-14-09, 09:26 PM
I like the idea of baskets to put things in. I am overwhelmed by so much so I will have to try it. I also know that if I let things get too messy then it's even worse and then I ignore the problem until I know someone is coming over and I have no choice but to clean.

kettish
01-25-09, 02:26 PM
I do dearly love my marker boards. :)

Hubby started doing that ages ago so that when he got up in the mornings and went off to formation he'd know what all he needed to have with him. Then A few months before I got diagnosed I started picking up a lot of these organizational items. I have a planner for schoolwork, and planner for work and home, and I have a couple of marker boards stationed around the house.

The planners let me see what I got done today (and be proud!) and decide what needs to be done tomorrow, as well as keep major appointments and dates. They generally stay on my desk so that when I sit down to do finances, make calls, etc., I can just flip and jot down whatever day I need to.

The first markerboard is stationed downstairs and has our chores on it right now...lol. Not working as I currently have it set up. Right now it's just got the chores listed and boxes for the weekdays, and we're supposed to be checking the chores off as we do them. That lasted about a week for me and less than two hours for DH. ;P I'm thinking I'll start writing out chores about a week ahead of time, and then every morning I can write them up on the board for us to check and refer to throughout the day.

The other one is upstairs too and lists things I need to do soon both in and outside the home. Calling schools, vet clinics, sending off packages or letters, doing a particular project around the house, etc. It also has a portion off to the side for me to keep loose track of my workouts and another portion for expenditures during the month.

Yeah... X3 And I have to have a notepad with me at all times. If I don't write things down while I'm out and can't carry my big planner around it helps. Also if I have ideas or inspirations about how to do something better, or something to add to a project, etc., I can just jot 'em down and have them for later. :)

taterbug
02-21-09, 02:56 AM
Flutterbudget...thanks for that post, I can identify with that so well (putting "cleaning eyes" on)...and then going nuts with every little detail until time runs out and not much is done.. That is so me.