View Full Version : Paroxetine, 10mg, for anxiety/OCD

sarey
01-13-09, 01:52 PM
My doctor has prescribed me Paroxetine, 10mg.

Any experiences?

whitestripesfan
01-14-09, 03:01 AM
dear Sarey... i don't wish to alarm you...but i would steer clear of that one...

in fact your doctor should have known better than to have given you that.
im quite shocked...
Paroxetine also known as paxil and seroxat... has as far as i know been withdrawn in the U.S (maybe someone else in the u.s can clarify this) for the under 18 s because it has been linked with suicide amongst this age group..
it also has a similar bad rep in England
.now i m not trying to scare you...im just worried... i too was given this as a 17 year old ..it made my suicidal impulses worse and also my aneorexia
but after being on them for a year i was so dependant that the withdrawal was a nightmare...doctors in England should be aware of this too.

but please don't worry you have only just been prescribed... just please think twice before continuing with them !!!
may i make a suggestion Sarey... a far better drug in my experience that as far as i know has none of these side effects in teens is "EFEXOR XR"( venlafaxine by its proper name.)

it has also a calming effect as well as being a moderately good antidepressant... maybe you could ask about this ...
sorry if ive worried you... but please take my advice...this worries me greatly.
i will send a pm tomorrow ...
love and take care Sarey...whitestripes...xxx

Ravenna
01-14-09, 03:05 AM
I take paroxetine and Ive found it has less side effects for me than other anti depressants Ive taken.

Dont skip doses because there is a strong tendency towards physical addiction (3 days without it and Im a basket case of withdrawl symptoms)

Tolerance build up is slow, if at all, Im currenly titrating down because I dont think I need as much since Ive lost about 20kg body weight. Thinking back my doses have only increased with my weight so perhaps body weight is a factor in how well a particular strength dosage works. (not sure on this though, havent discussed it with my Dr)

whitestripesfan
01-14-09, 03:19 AM
hi again Sarey and Ravenna.... im not negating that paroxetine maybe a good anti depresant..
.its perfectly safe in the over 18 s... but there is a big difference in the side effects experienced by anyone below this age..and im sure there is some teens who have not been affected and have had positive results

but there is medical evidence backing up my experience..which has caused some alarm... so please Sarey i still say think twice ok...!

love w.s...x

sarey
01-14-09, 08:29 AM
I am seeing my doctor on Friday I will bring this up. I am on it for Anxiety/OCD though?

whitestripesfan
01-14-09, 02:39 PM
really Sarey...it does not make any difference as to what it was prescribed for. it just should never be given to teens.. EVER !!!.

there was quite a cover up by the manufacturers GSK...which was exposed in national newspapers and tv documentaries...a directive was sent out to doctors to refrain from using paroxetine (seroxat) in teens. so your doctor shoud have known better.

and to be honest i found it made my obsessive state of mind worse making me more likely to self harm and starve myself... plus withdrawal turned me into an angry monster of a person.

if your still unsure of what im saying just google; "seroxat and suicide in teens"
there is numerous articles,
or check out this Guardian newspaper report;

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/06/pharmaceuticals.health

i really think there is far better drugs out there for you dear sarey

take care now ... love whitestripes...x

TygerSan
01-22-09, 07:34 PM
Paroxetine has not been withdrawn as far as I know. It does now carry a warning label telling ppl to watch for increases in suicidal thoughts in under 18's, as do all of the SSRIs (including, I believe, fluoxetine or prozac). AFIK, none of the SSRI's other than prozac (or maybe it actually is paroxetine?) are actually approved for anyone under the age of 18, meaning that there haven't been controlled clinical studies looking into efficacy and side effect profile in children.

This doesn't necessarily mean that these drugs are never safe or appropriate for that population, only that children should be watched closely (as they should be in any case). Always work with your (or your child's) MD and keep your eyes open for possible problems.

IMHO the media really blew this issue out of proportion (and yes, as always there is a kernel of truth in their reporting), but for some ppl being without the drugs is worse.

sarey
01-27-09, 03:41 PM
My doctor didn't say to come back for monitoring. He just sent me off with the pills and that's it.

I haven't taken it yet anyway.
I am suffering with an eating disorder that is causing several medical complications, rather not deal with side effects of anything, am on strong painkillers and going to probably be in hospital yet again soon. So. For now, no paroxetine. Or any other medication for that fact.

TygerSan
01-29-09, 07:46 PM
(((((Sarey)))))

I hope things improve for you.

I just didn't want anyone else to scare you away from a med that might actually be a help. (and IIRC, certain drugs like paroxetine can help w/ certain eating disorders as well).

sammyscion
01-21-12, 03:15 PM
My understanding is that while Paxil has been taken off the market Paroxetine as a generic has not. I have personally taken Paxil then Paroxitine for depression for a number of years with no ill effects or side effects. I don't know about its use for OCD or anxiety. However, with newly diagnosed ADD I have been in the process of changing medications and my anxiety has increased since changing to Effexor in hopes that this will address both my depression and ADD. (No stimulant medication allowed for me until cardiac questions are resolved).
No medication comes without risk of side effects. Each person responds to these medications differently. It is important that you have a medical provider who is staying in contact and helping you monitor your response to medications. My advice is to research and keep track of your own response to medications and advocate for yourself for this type of support. General MDs can prescribe these medications but often have less experience and knowledge with psychiatric medications. Because of this, my GP, wisely declined and referred me to a psychiatrist who has this expertise. I would advise looking for a psychiatrist who is accessible and better versed and supportive in the medication process. Also, medication is only part of addressing mental health issues.
Keep looking and asking questions. Don't give up until you find what works for you. Good luck.

Abi
01-21-12, 03:25 PM
Paxil is a VERY DODGY drug. There is a fair amount of evidence to that effect.

The best medication for anxiety is benzodiazepine, particularly Klonopin(clonazepam) or Ativan(lorazepam).

If you want an SSRI, look into Lexapro(escitalopram), Celexa(citalopram) or Zoloft(sertraline)

StoicNate
01-21-12, 04:32 PM
Hey maybe it will help you. Right now I'm on Dexedrine (very tiny dose, first day after not being on it for a long time) and feel quite productive. My doctor wants to add a SSRI to help with my anxiety next month, but also at a tiny dose.
I hope everything goes well for you.

cameron90
01-22-12, 10:55 AM
dear Sarey... i don't wish to alarm you...but i would steer clear of that one...

in fact your doctor should have known better than to have given you that.
im quite shocked...
Paroxetine also known as paxil and seroxat... has as far as i know been withdrawn in the U.S (maybe someone else in the u.s can clarify this) for the under 18 s because it has been linked with suicide amongst this age group..
it also has a similar bad rep in England
.now i m not trying to scare you...im just worried... i too was given this as a 17 year old ..it made my suicidal impulses worse and also my aneorexia
but after being on them for a year i was so dependant that the withdrawal was a nightmare...doctors in England should be aware of this too.

but please don't worry you have only just been prescribed... just please think twice before continuing with them !!!
may i make a suggestion Sarey... a far better drug in my experience that as far as i know has none of these side effects in teens is "EFEXOR XR"( venlafaxine by its proper name.)

it has also a calming effect as well as being a moderately good antidepressant... maybe you could ask about this ...
sorry if ive worried you... but please take my advice...this worries me greatly.
i will send a pm tomorrow ...
love and take care Sarey...whitestripes...xxx

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Paxil. Just to clarify one thing though: Almost all antidepressants, if not all, carry the black box warning of the potential of suicidal ideation in youth, especially. Paxil, although tolerable for me, was not very effective and it is extremely different to get off after prolonged use, but there are people who find it to be extremely effect in helping with their mood. Everybody is different and some things that work for an individual do not work for another. For example, effexor was probably the worst thing I have ever taken. It caused severe anxiety, panic attacks and seizures for me. Please discuss your concerns with your psychiatrist or doctor, as there are many options and some newer antidepressants on the market that are more effective than many of the SSRIs, without as many side effects.