View Full Version : New Get Fit Club Thread

Pages : [1] 2

mADD mike
01-15-09, 10:42 AM
Hey everybody! I thought that since we've moved away from the medal system, it would be nice to get a fresh start. We have a new logo, and more relaxed rules, so here is a new thread to discuss what we're doing.

To get your logo for use in your signature, please go here:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/GFCGreenBlackLargeLetters100.jpg

Once you use that url in your browser, you will see our new logo. You can either right click the logo and save it to your computer, and then upload it here to your sig, or you can right click and copy the url at the top of the page and use that by putting it in rather than uploading your saved picture. Or, you can just highlight and copy the red url above and put it in your sig, which is even easier. It is up to you which way you want to use it.

Now that you have your new sig, let's go to the new rules:

1. We will post results every Friday, like always. I will start a new thread each and every Friday, usually Thursday night just so I don't forget. I'm an ADDer, after all :p . Please let us know what you did this week to improve your life by exercising. The purpose of this group is to help you IMPROVE your life with exercise above and beyond what you ordinarily do. You aren't improving if you just do your ordinary daily activities, so we encourage you to reach out and do something above and beyond. Let us know what you did, which will encourage us to do more too.

2. Use this thread to let us all know what you're doing throughout the week, to ask questions, get help, etc. Keep in touch with everyone here, introduce yourself if you're new, and welcome others.

Pretty simple, eh?

We're all in this together. We've all struggled at times, we've all experienced some level of success, no matter where we are or what we're doing, we all have one thing in common, and that is our ADD. Exercise can help, and we want to try and help reach out to others so that they too might gain the additional boost that exercise can give.

If you see a newbie, welcome them. If you notice someone missing, send them a pm and encourage them to come back. Maybe they just need a little push, or just forgot to come here and report what they've been up to.

Welcome to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club! :D

Mike

justcallmedorie
01-16-09, 05:05 PM
Nice! It was 0 degrees this morning and is supposed to be as low tonight. Needless to say, I didn't get out. Next week should be better.

It's really nice to have a shiny new thread! Thanks!!!

stef
01-16-09, 07:01 PM
Ok count me in!
of course I have no results to post yet I just read this now...

20trackedmind
01-16-09, 08:10 PM
Ok! I am here. Welcome everyone. I hope this makes life a little simpler for you mike. Thanks for all your hard work.

Prusilusken
01-16-09, 10:53 PM
Hi everybody and welcome!
I reeeeaally should get to bed, but I'll see if I can't change my sig before I do.
I'll post in this weeks exercise thread tomorrow. :)

Thanks for your work, encouragement and the new lovely, very energetic logo, Mike! :D

FrazzleDazzle
01-17-09, 10:40 AM
Hi Stef!

mADD mike
01-17-09, 01:10 PM
Glad to everyone migrating over, and I'm glad you all seem to like the logo!:D

Welcome to the group Stef!

Dorie, we've been having those zero degree days too. Not fun. Our poor work truck with 206,000 miles on it kind of looks at us like, you have GOT to be kidding, when we start it in the morning, lol. The cold is hard on everything.

I like the new medal-less format because it gives me less keeping track to do. However, I also like it because in the past, I would keep up with people and if someone stopped showing up, I would contact them via pm to let them know we missed them and hoped to see them back. It helped a lot of people along, just to know somebody cared. With everything going on, and falling behind on keeping track of things, it was hard to do that anymore. So, not only myself, but any one of you, can reach out to people that have quit showing up and see if you can help them to get going again. Just a quick note to tell them we've missed them down in the Get Fit Club is sometimes all it takes.

So, when I get a bit of time, I'm going to go through the old Welcome thread and see who we are missing. Maybe we can get some to come back with the new format. There is strength in numbers, and I like seeing a big group playing along. It is encouraging.

Glad to see all of you over here so far!

Mike

20trackedmind
01-18-09, 02:32 PM
Seems like we are going to actually have a day above 55 degree here. I am going to make the most of it! Maybe even go for a long walk with the kids in the wagon.

FrazzleDazzle
01-18-09, 02:44 PM
I like the new logo thingy too, Mike, especially since it will absolve you of the extra work. :-)

20 ~ a wagon walk with the kids sounds like fun! Weather-wise here, we are pushing close to 80 degrees, I'll push some warm air your way!

20trackedmind
01-18-09, 02:48 PM
Thanks Frazz! Spring is around the corner and then this thread should take off. Nice weather makes you want to get outside and move!:)

FrazzleDazzle
01-18-09, 04:01 PM
I have a nifty little rebounder I got from the infomercial, and I use it all the time for the cardio workout when it's too hot here to do it outside. I like it alot, it's really easy on the joints, and I can dance on it and watch TV at the same time with music in the background.

Prusilusken
01-19-09, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry, I'm confused...did I miss a friday thread, does anyone know?
Was there a thread for jan 16th?

mADD mike
01-19-09, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry, I'm confused...did I miss a friday thread, does anyone know?
Was there a thread for jan 16th?

Yes, if you go to the Exercise Forum, and click on it, it (the one for Jan 16) is stickied. Grafter puts them up each week at the top. I put a link to it in the old GFC thread, along with a link to this new thread. It is up and ready for your results.

Prusilusken
01-19-09, 09:51 PM
Oh, thanks, Mike! *blushing*

20trackedmind
01-20-09, 12:27 PM
Frazz, what is a rebounder? Sorry for my ignorance. Is it like a trampoline? Sounds great for indoor exercising.

Yesterday I walked for about an hour and today it is back on the wii for some strength exercises.

FrazzleDazzle
01-21-09, 09:29 PM
Hi 20, yes, the rebounder is a mini trampoline made for working out (not jumping on!) It's very easy on the joints, and I can get a better cardio going than I did on my treadmill because of that. Here in Phoenix, we walk in the winter and stay indoors in the summer! LOL!

20trackedmind
01-22-09, 01:06 AM
OIC Frazzle. Sounds great.

Today I did a 30 min walk outside and 30 minutes wii aerobic (running with weights).

Mike....When you mentioned that the exercise we report should be beyond what we do normally, does that mean that if we get in an routine that that exercise is not reportable anymore? I used to ride once a week when we first started, but now I ride or exercies my horses 4 or 5 times a week. I don't go on a nice slow trail ride. Both my horse and I are usually covered in sweat when we are finished. I don't report it now because it is now routine. Just wondering.

justcallmedorie
01-22-09, 05:47 AM
Well. I've certainly been a sloth/slug/whatever this week. No excuses, really. Just haven't been able to get motivated. I could blame the cold weather, but there are other things I could have done. Can't get to my treadmill at the moment, there's a recliner in the way and I can't figure out where to put the recliner. I've got workout DVDs, does thinking about doing one qualify? Heheh, I know better. Anyhow, me & dog are heading out this morning. It's in the teens so we'll just be walking, but at least we're going.

See y'all later.

mADD mike
01-22-09, 10:08 AM
OIC Frazzle. Sounds great.

Today I did a 30 min walk outside and 30 minutes wii aerobic (running with weights).

Mike....When you mentioned that the exercise we report should be beyond what we do normally, does that mean that if we get in an routine that that exercise is not reportable anymore? I used to ride once a week when we first started, but now I ride or exercies my horses 4 or 5 times a week. I don't go on a nice slow trail ride. Both my horse and I are usually covered in sweat when we are finished. I don't report it now because it is now routine. Just wondering.

No, I think it would be awesome for us all to be able to get in a routine of exercise, and that would certainly be reportable. I just think that if you are going to be part of a group that is exercising to change their lives, you have to do something above and beyond getting out of bed in the morning and going to work, or whatever you normally do. Frazzle made a good point in another thread, calling it "dedicated" exercise, exercise for the sake of exercising. That's what matters. If you go for a run every morning, you are doing so for exercise, so report it. If you follow a certain exercise video or plan every day, then report it. Why else would you be doing it, other than exercise? Now, if you have a paper route and walk the houses to deliver the newspapers, you are do that for your JOB, not for exercise. If I go clean a couple of houses and detail a car, while that is quite the workout, I'm doing it for my living, not for exercise.

If you feel what you are doing is for exercise, then put it down. I don't want to have to sit in judgement of what everyone is doing. I'm just trying to encourage people to do something more than they would ordinarily do in life, because you aren't changing your life if you never do anything above and beyond what you would ordinarily do in just meeting the needs of your everyday life. You will have to make the call on that.

Everyone can make their own call on what they think is exercise from now on. If it makes you feel good to report it, and you want to share it, then by all means do so. Just be honest with yourself as to whether or not you are doing it to be a part of this group, or if this was something you would have done anyway in the course of your life. I'll leave it up to the honor system, and won't interfere or make any more judgement calls.

justcallmedorie
01-22-09, 10:21 AM
Well, we did get out and walk. Only for about 30 minutes, it was 14 degrees and my toes were starting to hurt. Guess if I have to walk in sub-20 degree weather again I'll wear my farm boots with thinsulate. They're actually pretty comfortable. Max was a happy boy anyhow!

20trackedmind
01-22-09, 10:28 AM
Thanks Mike. I was just wondering. I did not mean for you to have be some sort of enforcer or anything.

Dorie, wow, I can not beleive you even attempted a walk in those temperatures! I am such a wimp when it comes to weather. If it is below 45 degees it is a wii day for me:) Great job!

mADD mike
01-22-09, 10:36 AM
Thanks Mike. I was just wondering. I did not mean for you to have be some sort of enforcer or anything.

Dorie, wow, I can not beleive you even attempted a walk in those temperatures! I am such a wimp when it comes to weather. If it is below 45 degees it is a wii day for me:) Great job!

No problem, I didn't think you necessarily meant anything like that. I've just gotten a lot of questions and frankly some complaints about it, so I wash my hands of that subject. I've said what I have to say many times over between here and the old GFC thread and another thread that another member started to question what is exercise and the pm's I've received to question it. So, I just wanted to answer and let it go once and for all. From now on, it is up to each member as to what they want to call exercise. I can't make the calls for people, we all have to be responsible members for ourselves.

Frankly, it was a good question though. One that I would probably be inclined to ask too. I tend to be an over-thinker, and question everything. I drive myself crazy sometimes.

mADD mike
01-22-09, 10:42 AM
On the exercise front, I made my own workout video for myself and my wife. We have been doing the Power 90 program as we can, but it just takes too long and isn't stimulating enough mentally to keep me in the game. So, I made one by capturing some music videos on youtube that we both liked and that were really energizing songs, and then I put them together in sequence. I used a video editing program to add in text over the music videos to let us know what exercise we were supposed to be doing. I picked our favorites from Power 90, and a couple we just like, and put them all in. I have a bunch of different exercises in the videos, each lasting one minute in duration, so we are constantly changing what we do.

It was fun to do, and challenging. Maybe I will stick with it better. It is a full body workout in 13 minutes with kicking, punching, running, jumping jacks, push-ups, crunches, etc. I hope to do it again today.

firstdesserts
01-22-09, 06:06 PM
(Knock, knock!) Uh, I was looking at a converasation between TeaDrinker and Frazzle Dazzle...wondering how to get to the thread where they were discussing Dore, FastForward, etc. Then I noticed FD's little green thing and now hear I am (a musician:D) hoping to hook up with some folks who know what it's like to want to exercise but have the ADDed difficulty of being inconsistant with everything esspecially things that take effort (like grammar!)

I am giving myself a healthy body for my 52nd birthday this year! You know, the whole 8 3/4 yards: eat less and better, vitamins and Om3, and regular aerobic exercise.

How exactly I am going to change my already good diet and suppliments is undetermined. I am learning how to cook, which means waiting 'til my wife is out of the house (I've got black-eyed peas on the stove and corn bread fixin's in the cupboard:p). I hope that cooking stuff myself will help me with getting used to a more healthy diet. We're not veggitarians, we're just poor and I'm a lousy hunter!

I figured if I'm going to do Interactive Metronome type stuff, I may as well break a good sweat too! (Tick, tick, walk! Tick, tick, hike! Tick, bike! Tick, run! Tic-tic-tic-tic-karate!) As well, I've started to use a MM for pickin', grinnin', singin', and fluting!

Wait a minute! I was looking for a blog! Uh, whose? Yeah! Which way to Frazzle's Blog?...(as I wonder off again!)

mADD mike
01-22-09, 06:14 PM
(Knock, knock!) Uh, I was looking at a converasation between TeaDrinker and Frazzle Dazzle...wondering how to get to the thread where they were discussing Dore, FastForward, etc. Then I noticed FD's little green thing and now hear I am (a musician:D) hoping to hook up with some folks who know what it's like to want to exercise but have the ADDed difficulty of being inconsistant with everything esspecially things that take effort (like grammar!)

I am giving myself a healthy body for my 52nd birthday this year! You know, the whole 8 3/4 yards: eat less and better, vitamins and Om3, and regular aerobic exercise.

How exactly I am going to change my already good diet and suppliments is undetermined. I am learning how to cook, which means waiting 'til my wife is out of the house (I've got black-eyed peas on the stove and corn bread fixin's in the cupboard:p). I hope that cooking stuff myself will help me with getting used to a more healthy diet. We're not veggitarians, we're just poor and I'm a lousy hunter!

I figured if I'm going to do Interactive Metronome type stuff, I may as well break a good sweat too! (Tick, tick, walk! Tick, tick, hike! Tick, bike! Tick, run! Tic-tic-tic-tic-karate!) As well, I've started to use a MM for pickin', grinnin', singin', and fluting!

Wait a minute! I was looking for a blog! Uh, whose? Yeah! Which way to Frazzle's Blog?...(as I wonder off again!)

We may have to ask you to change your username to join us down here. I makes me think fat thoughts, lol.:p

Welcome to the club FD! If inconsistent exercise and diet is what you're looking for, you've found the right place. We all fight the same things, but are trying to improve our lives, much like you are. It's always good to see other people down here that want to make a change.

The general idea and logo for your sig are on the first page of this thread.

I look forward to seeing you around here more.

Mike

20trackedmind
01-22-09, 10:28 PM
Wow Mike, I am so adhd and wrapped up in my little world that I had no idea:o. I have a bad habit of over analyzing everything to the point of not actually getting anything done. Thanks for the clear up and for all your hard work:).

So, today I did a 30 minute walk pulling the wagon with three kids in it in the horse pasture. I did not plan on 30 minutes but everytime I tried to stop they would plead me to continue. So, around and around we went. Not a adhd friendly task. I also did 15 minutes of strength training on the wii and 6 minutes aerobic exercises in the wii. I mix the aerobic in with the strength training to keep my heart rate up.

mADD mike
01-23-09, 09:17 AM
A new results thread for the week has been posted. I hope everyone had a great week!:D

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=690445#post690445

justcallmedorie
01-23-09, 02:57 PM
I lasted about 30 minutes yesterday in the frigid temps. Except for my toes I was fine, but they felt like they were sure to break off so we cut it short.

Today I ran and walked, mostly ran, trying to build back up to 30 minutes. It was a balmy 20 degrees this morning, not a whole lot better. Oh well. Something is way better than nothing!

20trackedmind
01-23-09, 03:27 PM
I lasted about 30 minutes yesterday in the frigid temps. Except for my toes I was fine, but they felt like they were sure to break off so we cut it short.

Today I ran and walked, mostly ran, trying to build back up to 30 minutes. It was a balmy 20 degrees this morning, not a whole lot better. Oh well. Something is way better than nothing!

OK Dorie, you deserve a medal or something! The fact that you actually go out in that weather and move is great. You know just regulating your body temp in those temperatures burns a ton more calories.:)

justcallmedorie
01-23-09, 04:02 PM
OK Dorie, you deserve a medal or something! The fact that you actually go out in that weather and move is great. You know just regulating your body temp in those temperatures burns a ton more calories.:)
Why thanks (actually I have one - see below)! :p My husband is a blaster for an earth-moving construction company (he makes molehills out of mountains) and he works outside in all kinds of weather. Just knowing he's doing that makes me feel like SUCH a wimp for not hitting it for 30-45 minutes. :o

firstdesserts
01-26-09, 10:54 PM
So good, so far! Over a month of steady and regular intervals of walking! Now up to 30 minutes each! I walk very fast. I'll be up to running pretty soon!

The hard part is getting past the 6 to 8 week point without overdoing things and getting sick. Being consistant and patient with myself is really hard.

"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself." - Max Ehermann
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62261

justcallmedorie
01-27-09, 09:31 AM
Walked with Max for about 50 minutes this morning (in 5 inches of snow - somewhat difficult-lol). It was beautiful though. Not going into work today, don't really want to wreck my car, daughter has my truck, sucks to be me (not really, a day off of work that's unexpected is almost better than a scheduled day off).

Later guys.

Prusilusken
01-27-09, 10:03 AM
I'm going dancing for the third day on row...aaaaw...I don't wanna...I just want to stay at home and do nothing and eat all day and watch the world championships in handball. I'm so hungry these days...so tired...

And just had a surprise electrical bill that I really, really, really can't afford. :(
Boohoohoohoooooo... :(

Okay, signing out, going dancing.

nerotxc
01-27-09, 03:44 PM
Its been a while since ive been on here. Nice to be back.

Heres the scoop...

I gained more weight then i wanted to over the holidays, and i have 10 weeks to get into navy standards, right now i ride the line.

My game plan is on the following weeks. Overall i need to do (2min time frame each) 60 pushups, 60 situps, and 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. I am following a plan on www.navy-prt.com (http://www.navy-prt.com).

In the past couple years i procrastinate until 2-3 weeks prior and stress out. This time im changin things!

Wish me luck.

P.S. I am also giving up all soda, candy, cake and am watching my portion sizes. They sell sodas on my ship, but you have to have a card. I also unlinked that card from my bank... so they only way to get a soda/junksnack is to bum it.

LostInTheStars
01-27-09, 04:35 PM
:D :D :D So glad to have two more members! :D :D :D

We have real actual snow here!!! There is probably 4 inches or so. I want to go play in it, but it is icing/raining on top right now. Not the best. But it is such good exercise!

justcallmedorie
01-27-09, 05:07 PM
I just got through shoveling the same snow you mentioned. Could have done it this morning, but nooooo, I had to wait until it was crusted over with ice and heavy. Sometimes I amaze myself with how doofy I can be... (sigh). :(

mADD mike
01-27-09, 05:19 PM
I just got through shoveling the same snow you mentioned. Could have done it this morning, but nooooo, I had to wait until it was crusted over with ice and heavy. Sometimes I amaze myself with how doofy I can be... (sigh). :(

Gee thanks, Dorie. I just saw my wife's post above yours and was going to let her go have fun in the snow by shoveling it, since the freezing rain stopped for a minute. Now she knows it's all "crusted over with ice and heavy". Guess I'll have to do it now. (sigh) :p

20trackedmind
01-27-09, 05:46 PM
Sounds like everyone is having their fill of this snow and ice. We did not get any nice snow, just cold ice. I can't even open the latches on my horse paddocks because they have turned into icecubes. Very cold on the hands.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

Today I busted out the wii for some indoor activity. 10 minutes wii aerobic, 15 minutes wii strenth, 15 minutes wii yoga, 5 minutes balance games. A total of 45 minutes.

justcallmedorie
01-28-09, 10:48 AM
Sorry Mike. :rolleyes:

20, I'd way rather have the snow than just ice. Hope you don't lose your electricity! Several locations in our area have lost power, fortunately we weren't among them.

Haven't done anything today, may not, kind of depends on if I get a chance at lunch, if I do, I'm going to go to the mall and walk, not outside!!!

mADD mike
01-28-09, 07:31 PM
Lost electricity overnight, but got it back on this morning. We normally keep the house pretty cool, so it was not really any different without heat. We both shoveled the drive today, including the big mound of snow from where the plows pile it all at the end of our drive. Glad that's over with.

I put some pictures on the photography forum of the ice and snow. It was quite pretty. We had an ice storm when we first moved in 4-5 years ago, but haven't really had many since. Let's see, in the past year, here just across the river from Louisville, Kentucky, we've had an earthquake, leftover hurricane Ike winds that tore up everything, and now a crazy ice storm. All we need is a rough tornado system this spring, and maybe a volcano to come up from nowhere, and we'll be set. This has been the strangest weather I can remember. I still need to get a new roof, but we're fighting insurance on that.

Anyway, on an exercise note, we both managed to workout yesterday, doing the video that I put together and playing Wii Sports as well. Today, we've managed to do a lot of snow shoveling, but nothing above and beyond yet. I'd like to workout using the video again, but I have a bad sinus headache from the crazy weather. Sometimes I think I'd like to move, but I'm sure each area of the world has it's own little inherent health issues.

20trackedmind
01-28-09, 11:39 PM
I did 2 30 minute jogs on the wii for a total of 1 hour. I have created a "track" around my family room that I run. My family thinks it is so funny that I now am actually running in circles. Before it was just a medaphore for my adhd life.

Mike, glad to here your power is back on. One night is not bad, but when it goes on for days, it get very uncomfortable.

20trackedmind
01-28-09, 11:44 PM
Dorie, I woke up this morning and found that my entire pasture had become an ice rink. I really have never seen anything like it before. It must have rained hard right before the freeze came. It was about an inch or two in places and the weight of my horses did not break the ice until later this afternoon when it thawed. The animals where sooo miserable. I miss living in Lake Tahoe, where on good days we got these beautiful silver dollar snowflakes and the snow came down so quite. Here it is sleet, ice and very rarely wet slushy snow.

justcallmedorie
01-29-09, 09:51 AM
Absolutely nothing yesterday...30 minutes in the ice w/dog this morning. We both fell, ack! But we got back home and licked our wounded pride - neither was hurt, but it was humiliating even though nobody saw us (don't THINK anybody saw us anyhow). I really really really wish this nasty winter weather would break. Oh well. Endeavor to persevere.

20trackedmind
01-30-09, 12:02 AM
Ouch Dorie!

Today I did a 15 minute walk with kids pulling the wagon, 16 minutes wii yoga, 14 minutes wii strength (45 minutes total)

lostranslation
01-30-09, 12:10 AM
I stopped all the exercise stuff a few weeks back. As some of you know, things have been pretty rough lately.
Anyhow, I want to get started again. Any ideas for motivation?

mADD mike
01-30-09, 12:27 AM
I stopped all the exercise stuff a few weeks back. As some of you know, things have been pretty rough lately.
Anyhow, I want to get started again. Any ideas for motivation?

Sweet! Glad to see you back here! :D

Motivation, huh? That's the hard thing for a lot of us. My motivation is to feel good. I feel so much better, even if life is kind of crappy, if I can get up and work out. It really helps in the morning, that's my new goal, to exercise in the morning because it wakes my brain up for the rest of the day. I also have motivation to do it because I want to feel better about myself.

Goals are good, short or long term. You just don't want to put them too high, especially to start. Sometimes challenges are good. Or maybe even a pledge. In fact, a pledge really helped me a while back, and I can kind of feel my motivation slipping. So, I'll make a pledge. Feel free to make your own, however big or small. Maybe to walk for 15 minutes, twice this coming week, or even just once, if it is more than you're currently doing. Baby steps are best, especially when you've been hammered by other things in life. Don't set yourself up for failure. Realize your limits, and make a short-term goal for the week. Those are my suggestions.

I pledge to workout for 15 minutes a day, every day, from Friday to next week's results thread. I pledge to do it in the morning, unless we oversleep and get a late start to where I cannot do so, in which case I'll do it when we get home from work. (I'd love to pledge to get up early and do it, but one thing my ADD mind does do is keep me up at night, so getting up in the morning just isn't happening all of the time. I can't pledge that.)

Anyone else care to challenge themselves for the next week?

justcallmedorie
01-30-09, 11:07 AM
I'm going to go all out and pledge exercise of at least 30 minutes two times next week. Not much I know, but at the moment it seems to be status quo, and I don't want to lose that little bit...

20trackedmind
01-30-09, 11:37 PM
OK, I will pledge to do a total of 1 hr strength training and 1 hr yoga next week.

lostranslation
01-31-09, 02:16 AM
Wow. You guys are ambitious.
I pledge to drag my butt out of bed in the morning.
Then I will look here for inspiration.

Prusilusken
01-31-09, 08:58 AM
lost:
To me it sounds like you're pretty beat right now.
If you get up, you already did well.
Remember, the tiniest, tiniest little thing you can bring yourself to do counts.
Where do you think would be the least hard place to begin?
Try to drink one tall glass of water every day?
Take ten trips on the stairs and go back?

When I am totally down, sometimes I can't do anything at all.
I mean, really. And sorry thing is, when I'm that low, I don't have the imagination to think of those little things I can possibly do, I only think about hour long walks and full workouts and all that - that there's no chance in Hell i can be succesful in, when I'm that run down. And it's so difficult to cut yourself a break when you're in that state. It's pretty much a symptom...

I have been meaning to make a little list of small, small things I can do when I get that low. Very small things that I can almost do automatically when I'm better off, but that I forget counts when I'm in a rut.
And stupid little "exercises".
"Lie down on the floor and get up again. Once."
"Get up from the chair three times and sit down again in whatever tempo you feel you can muster without crying"
"Drink a glass of water"
"Roll your shoulders"

...that kind. And make a note on a piece of paper on on the computer if you did anything, anything at all, that is better than lying in bed. At some point you will have little tick-marks here and there. They can be a motivation in themselves.
Try really, really hard not to go sarcastic on your own ***.
It's counterproductive (I do it a lot, I'm really working on it, and IT HELPS!)

Right now EVERYTHING COUNTS.

Thanks so much for checking in - I actually think you got me started on that preventive list for myself. Because I know I sometimes find myself pretty much where you're at right now. Fortunately, I don't have to struggle with alchohol on the side, and I feel lucky for that. But you'll get up again, and I know you know that - it's just that right now sucks terribly.

I hope things'll soon turn around for you again.
Hugs if you want (I try to always make my hugs voluntary, because I hate being hugged when I don't feel like it, which I seldom do, hehe... )

mADD mike
01-31-09, 11:18 AM
Well, I already poo-pooed my pledge on the first day, lol. We both worked from 8:30 AM to 9:30 PM, and for the last 5 hours or so, I was restoring a hardwood floor in a museum that we clean, on my hands and knees. We cleaned 2 houses, 1 office, and a 3-story museum. The museum had a roof leak due to all of the ice we had from the storm, which inevitably found a way in as it melted, and they were closed for few days. When they got back, they found that their very expensive wood flooring, a statue, and a very expensive wood desk were all hit by water, and had water spots on them. So, I worked very hard to get it all taken care of, while LostInTheStars cleaned the rest of the top two floors.

Anyway, I was completely beat by the time we got home. So, I'll try to follow out the rest of my pledge, and double up one day to make up for yesterday. I'm not going to get too down about a bad first day, because it was not a normal day for us, and it let us make back some money we lost when other days of work were canceled because customers didn't have electricity and we couldn't go clean. It was a good thing, not a bad one.

mADD mike
01-31-09, 11:31 AM
Wow. You guys are ambitious.
I pledge to drag my butt out of bed in the morning.
Then I will look here for inspiration.

Don't feel bad about whatever it is you can do. I'm sure you've read on here (meaning the ADD forums as a whole) enough that you realize that we aren't all alike. For example, there are probably some hyperactives on here that are more physically so than I, that could probably workout 10x more that any of us can. That's great for them, because that is a product of their circumstances in life.

That's what it boils down to, circumstances. None of us have the same ones, we all live different lives. Sometimes we're up, sometimes we're down, that's just life and there is nothing to be ashamed of. If all you can do today is to get up out of bed, then by all means do so.....and feel really proud of that.

Without getting preachy, there are scriptures that talk about a good way of looking at things. For example, we all have to prove what our own work is in life, not in comparison with another person, but in comparison with ourselves. We have to give our personal best, not someone else's.

Sometimes we're depressed, and just waking up is all we can do. Sometimes we're have a great day and feel great, and we can do more. Some of us don't have many great days, some have more. Whatever you can do, do it. Give your best on a particular day, and you'll feel better for it, however big or little it may seem.

Take care, and don't let it get you down because others may have better circumstances in life right now. There's always someone with better circumstances somewhere out there, but all that matters is what you can do in the life that you live every day, not what someone else can do.

That all said, I do highly recommend getting outside if you can at all. Even for just a couple of minutes, even if all you can do is sit. I don't know what it is about being cooped up in the house, but I always feel so much better if I can get out and just breathe some fresh air even for a couple of minutes.

Mike

mADD mike
01-31-09, 12:17 PM
Oops, I forgot to post here a link to the new results thread for the week. Some of you found it already, but if you haven't, here you go:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62898

ilostmybeer
01-31-09, 12:24 PM
need to start running again, going to start Monday, anything I need to do to sign up other than the sig?

mADD mike
01-31-09, 12:59 PM
need to start running again, going to start Monday, anything I need to do to sign up other than the sig?

Cool, glad to have you join in. Just go to the first page, get your sig and read the very loose "rules", and keep in touch. I post a "results" thread every Friday so that everyone can let each other know what they did for the week. We also chat here on this thread back and forth, to get encouragement throughout the week.

I hope you have a great week! I wish I could run, but the shin-splints (and ashthma) just kill me.

Mike

lostranslation
01-31-09, 02:39 PM
I did get up this morning, but that's about it so far. It is enough.
We met with the Hospice people about Dad yesterday afternoon. His kidneys are failing, and I don't think he has much time left.
So I'm going to hang out with my sister tonight.
Thanks for all the support.

justcallmedorie
01-31-09, 04:13 PM
Love love love your username - but what a tragedy to lose your beer!

Welcome!!

Prusilusken
02-01-09, 09:07 PM
Welcome, ilostmybeer - you can have mine, I never liked the stuff anyways.
(I'm a lousy excuse for a viking, I know ;))

mADD mike
02-01-09, 10:02 PM
Exercised as I said I would yesterday, according to my pledge. Instead of doing another video workout to make up for Friday, my wife and I went hiking in the snow and ice at the Clark County Forestry in Indiana. THAT is a workout! It is like walking in deep sand, which is always tiring if you've ever been to a sand dune and tried to walk. The snow was easy to walk on, it was the thick ice that broke under each step that made it a very slow trudge through the forest. It was so beautiful though, almost surreal, like walking through some glassy fantasy land, as everything was glistening, covered in ice. So, we both got in two very good workouts yesterday.

For any that might be interested, I already put some pics up in the photography thread, and added some more today, under the got an ice storm today or something like that, thread. I'll also put up some hiking pics in my hiking thread from our little ice and snow hike later tonight.

Later,
Mike

20trackedmind
02-01-09, 10:33 PM
Welcome ilostmybeer, glad to see you here.

Lost, sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anyhow, no exercise today, but yesterday rode 2 horses for a total of 1 hour 15 minutes. Tomorrow I start with the pledge stuff. I can't get the wii out on the weekends because we are either oput of the house or the house is to full of people and I can't get to it. Hopefully with a pledge I will be more motivated to do a little at a time rather than doing a ton on Wednesday and Thursday.

justcallmedorie
02-02-09, 10:07 AM
nICE (get it? heheh) photos Mike!

Hey guys - I got my treadmill out again and yesterday I walked for an hour at 3 mph (not fast, but consistent) while watching some DVRd Psych. I think for the rest of this week I'll just do the hour walk and catch up on some DVRd L&O then start back with the C25K next week. I feel so much better for just having done that little bit. I'm going to be very hesitant about going back outside if there's even a tiny chance of slick roads/sidewalks. Three times hitting my rump since the middle of November and no breaky, I'm NOT going to push my luck. Poor Max, I'll just have to walk him around the block or something to make him happy...If I get a chance today I might sneak out at lunch and walk along the river. We'll see. :)

Later y'all!

stillfightin
02-02-09, 06:07 PM
If anyone needs fitness advice don't be shy to ask me, i've been training for over 15 years!

irishdel
02-02-09, 07:37 PM
so where do i sign up?????

20trackedmind
02-02-09, 08:41 PM
I think you just did:)

Welcome! OP has all info ya need.

mADD mike
02-02-09, 09:23 PM
so where do i sign up?????

Welcome! :D

Just go the the first page in this thread, and you will see how to get your sig to show your support, and what we're doing here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, or pm me and I'll help.

Great to have another person down here!

Mike

20trackedmind
02-02-09, 11:26 PM
Well, I did a 30 minute jog on the wii, 16 minutes wii yoga and 16 minutes wii Strength. I also did a little 15 minute walk with the kiddos in the wagon. I probably should not count that, but hey, I was out and in the fresh air:).

Prusilusken
02-03-09, 11:56 AM
Welcome Irishdel, glad you've decided to join us! :)

firstdesserts
02-03-09, 03:53 PM
Just testing to see if I got my sticker in my signature! (Woops! Hope nobody notices!)

20trackedmind
02-03-09, 09:53 PM
I did a 1hr jog on the wii, 16 minutes wii yoga and 16 minutes wii Strength. 1 1/2 hrs total.

mADD mike
02-04-09, 03:18 PM
Just testing to see if I got my sticker in my signature! (Woops! Hope nobody notices!)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't notice.:p

justcallmedorie
02-04-09, 03:55 PM
So far this week I've done the treadmill on Sun for an hour, Tuesday and today for 45 minutes each. To pacify Max I take him out with his beloved Frisbee after I finish my "walk" and play with him until he's ready to go back in. Seems to be a win-win situation for the moment. I've got many episodes of L&O and L&O:SVU yet to watch so I may just continue doing what I'm doing until I whittle my list of episodes down to a manageable level. If I'd get up when the clock went off I could probably go longer, but I DO have to get ready and go to work-lol.

Welcome to the newcomers - glad to have ya!

20trackedmind
02-04-09, 04:44 PM
I do not know if I am sick or if I over did it last night with the wii, but I hurt all over. I am going to still try to at least stick to the pledge and do my 15 minutes each of wii yoga and strength.

20trackedmind
02-04-09, 08:55 PM
Well. I managed to do 30 minutes wii jogging and 30 minutes wii strength exercises. I just feel weak for some reason. I hope I am not getting sick:(

LostInTheStars
02-04-09, 10:53 PM
Well. I managed to do 30 minutes wii jogging and 30 minutes wii strength exercises. I just feel weak for some reason. I hope I am not getting sick:(

I hope not, too! That Wii Fit is tough (especially for a video game :p), I can see it wearing a person out.

20trackedmind
02-05-09, 09:41 PM
Thanks Lost. I think I need to space it out throughout the day. I was doing an hour all at once and I think my body is not ready for that. Maybe yoga or strength in the morning and jogging at night while I watch my shows. Today I did 30 minutes yoga and 1 hr jogging.

justcallmedorie
02-05-09, 09:56 PM
Got an hour on the treadmill at 3 mph and 5-12% incline this morning. And I've managed to get back on the food wagon, drink better than half my weight in ounces of water a day and am finally starting to drop those few pounds I managed to sneak back on recently. Whew. It was 1 below 0 this morning so poor old Max didn't even get to play frisbee. Poor fellow. We can play tomorrow morning and maybe next week start back outside (crosses fingers). I really miss being outside for my running/walking, but I AM grateful to have the treadmill for times like we've had recently!

See y'all in the morning for our check in thread. Nighty night.

LostInTheStars
02-05-09, 11:26 PM
20 - I totally get lost on the Wii when I actually get started! I will look at my time and be surprised at how long I've been at it.

mADD mike
02-06-09, 12:46 AM
A new results thread for 2/6 can be found here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=696484#post696484

justcallmedorie
02-06-09, 05:00 PM
40 minute walk at lunch today - FINALLY decent weather - 37 degrees and bright sun. Some of the snow even melted - yay! According to my pedometer I walked 2.25 miles (don't know if that's quite right or not, but it's something to gauge my distance in the future by).

Later gators.

20trackedmind
02-06-09, 08:41 PM
Well, it was 70 degree here but we have 40 mph winds. It is miserable because the dust and dirt hit your face hard. But I did do a 15 minute walk and 30 minutes wii aerobic (jogging), 16 minutes wii strenth, 16 minutes wii yoga.

stef
02-07-09, 01:28 PM
Um - just back from vacation. stuffed myself & hardly any walking. I got nothin' !

Prusilusken
02-08-09, 03:47 PM
In a bit late... :P
But had an awesome weekend dancing with my knives!
My fingers, hands and wrists are totally spent...I think they'll be falling off anythin now... ;)

justcallmedorie
02-09-09, 05:17 PM
In a bit late... :P
But had an awesome weekend dancing with my knives!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::ee k::eek::eek:
My fingers, hands and wrists are totally spent...I think they'll be falling off anythin now... ;)
Reminds me of our high school majorettes twirling fire - had to be very careful!

I didn't do any exercise this weekend, but walked 3 miles in 50 minutes at lunch. That comes out to 3.6 mph, not too bad. What a beautiful day!!! I needed it so badly!

stillfightin
02-09-09, 06:08 PM
going to try and hit the gym tonight... haven't been there in over 2 weeks, so it should be fun!

justcallmedorie
02-09-09, 09:40 PM
I just remembered something...is it the week for our sparklies?

mADD mike
02-09-09, 11:11 PM
I just remembered something...is it the week for our sparklies?

I was just asking my wife that last night. I think it may be. I'll have to go check. I'll get back to you on it, and any who made it to the gold. Sorry I haven't mentioned it earlier, but I got distracted.:p

firstdesserts
02-10-09, 12:16 AM
sparklies?

mADD mike
02-10-09, 01:35 AM
sparklies?

It's from the first GFC system. I offered some prizes to the people that helped get this thing off the ground. We had medals that changed, and a few are coming up to what would have been their gold medal. So, I'll stick by my word and offer up a little bling. I had a jewelry business in the past, and have some inventory left.

I did away with the medal system, because it was too hard to keep track of for everyone, to track their progress, and had rules like you had to report every week. But few were able to make it every week, because life happens. However, I felt that the few that made it deserved something for helping this little group get going and stay going, and for helping to continue to motivate me as well. I started this, but I get encouraged by seeing others participate.

So, I think I have 5 people max that made it all the way through the initial system to this point. I'll have to check and make sure they made it to the end, which should be soon. Then I'll contact each via pm to get pertinent information and offer them some "sparklies" for their hard work.

justcallmedorie
02-10-09, 07:16 AM
I was just asking my wife that last night. I think it may be. I'll have to go check. I'll get back to you on it, and any who made it to the gold. Sorry I haven't mentioned it earlier, but I got distracted.:p
No way! roflmao

Hey y'all - I finally got to take dog and (try to) start back running. I guess you could call it that anyhow. I fired up week 1 of C25K and did 5 min warm-up, 30 min run 90 seconds, walk 60 seconds, then 5 min cool-down. That's not exactly how it's supposed to go, (s/b 60 sec run, 90 sec walk for 20 min) but I wanted to go my whole distance - .25 mi during the warm-up, 2.6 mi run/walk, and .25 for the cool-down. I figure if the weather holds and I can do this for 7-9 weeks, progressing to the next scheduled part of the C25K each week, then I should be running 3 miles or more by the dreaded 15th of April. I just wish I had remembered to take my stopwatch and see how long it took me to cover the whole distance. I'll go dig it up and put it with Max's leash for tomorrow or whatever the next day is - the weather looks kinda like rain for the next few, but if it's 40 or above I'll go in the rain.

If it's not raining at lunch I might hit the boulevard again. To kind of make up for being such a slug the past couple of months...;o)

Wisefolly
02-11-09, 04:12 PM
Ooops, double post. Full post is on next page and was edited to add more information, so it was slightly different. Thanks.

Wisefolly
02-11-09, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking of joining this club. -No guarantees that I'll stick with it, but I want to try to start exercising every day. I think it will help me with establishing a routine and habit forming while I am out of work. I also want to try to eat healthier. Unfortunately, I don't have the goal of weight loss to keep me going because if anything, I need to gain weight.

Anyhow, I want to start by taking walks every day. I went for about a 2 mile walk today and a two mile walk on Monday. Yesterday, I walked to the dance, but I do that just about every Tuesday anyhow. I'd like to try to start making it to the dance on Wednesday nights, but I'm not going to be able to make it this week. I haven't gone to the Wednesday dance in a couple of months. Tuesday nights are lindy hop (swing), and Wednesday nights are tango. Eventually, I would like to incorporate some type of weight or resistance training into my routine as well. I'm hoping that sort of exercise will help me maintain and/or gain weight. I have resistance bands, and I just need to learn exercises for them.

Trouble separating my goals from what I've done in that last paragraph, but it's a start.

What I hope to gain:
-a few pounds (ha!)
-more energy
-improvements in being able to follow a routine (I hear even a little bit of discipline somewhere in your life helps with self-regulation in other areas too)

Well, I must get to sending out resumes again. Wish me luck!

Gar! My edit didn't work earlier after I added new info. Here's the info I wanted to add:

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 106 (Yeah, I know...)
Weight a few months ago: 100 (see that 106 is looking much better now, isn't it?)

I know we don't have to share this personal information, but it may be helpful for me to have it recorded somewhere because I sometimes forget to weigh myself. (That's how I went down to 100 lbs when I was depressed earlier a few months ago.)

My goal weight is somewhere between 108-112. I would love it if I could at least reach 110, but I haven't been able to break 108 in a couple years, so we'll see if I can do it.

Other things I'm doing to help: I read that adding more protein to your diet can help you gain weight by helping your body build more muscle. Apparently, there is some sort of balance here because a friend of mine adds protein powder to his coffee so he isn't as hungry helping him lose weight. His advice helped me because I was adding protein to my oatmeal and couldn't understand why I was still losing weight. I reduced the amount of protein that I added, and now I feel it is helping with the gaining instead of losing. Yay!

Okay, enough of my rambling. Need to send out cover letters and resumes now! Wish me luck!

mADD mike
02-11-09, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking of joining this club. -No guarantees that I'll stick with it, but I want to try to start exercising every day. I think it will help me with establishing a routine and habit forming while I am out of work. I also want to try to eat healthier. Unfortunately, I don't have the goal of weight loss to keep me going because if anything, I need to gain weight.

Welcome! :D

Hey, there are no guarantees for any of us, so don't worry about that. Just come here, hang out, and see what you can do.

Want to gain weight? Two words.............get married.:p

When I got married almost 9 years ago, I was 6'0" and 125 lbs soaking wet. Yeah, that's skinny, especially for a guy. Now I weight closer to 225-230, with my highest being 238. Stress, ADD, self-employment, working a lot and eating on the run, etc., is a great way to gain weight, but not the kind you want.

I tried everything when I was younger to gain weight. I lifted weights, took protein and other muscle mass powders, etc., and gained nothing. Somewhere around the age of 27, my metabolism just slowed tremendously, and I started gaining weight rapidly. Since then, it is has been a constant fight, because I've never had to watch what I eat in my life. I sure do now.

Glad to see you joining in. We hope to see you more.

Mike

Edit to add: Best wishes on the job hunt. Hope you find what you're looking for, or if not, at least what you need.

justcallmedorie
02-11-09, 07:47 PM
Welcome Wisefolly! I had a friend many years ago who couldn't gain weight no matter how hard she tried. I've always heard it's harder to gain if you're trying (naturally thin/REALLY fast metabolism, etc) than to lose. I wouldn't know. I've lost around 60 lbs in the last two years by low-carbing for the first 19-20 months, then when I started running and had to add carbs, I went with Nutrisystem and so far, so good. But I've never needed to gain so I can only imagine the difficulties there. Especially if you're trying to eat healthy foods. Good luck!

justcallmedorie
02-12-09, 10:50 AM
Morning glories. It looks to be a beautiful day in Charleston today. Max & I were able to hit the pavement this morning for another day of C25K week one with the 90 on, 60 off for a solid 30 minutes plus the 5 minute warmup and 5 minute cooldown for a total of 40 minutes. It's so beautimous here that I may have to walk at lunch as well.

mADD mike
02-13-09, 12:39 AM
I've posted the new results thread so that everyone can let us know how you did this week.

Here's a link:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=699587#post699587

justcallmedorie
02-13-09, 06:04 AM
Didn't walk at lunch yesterday, got preoccupied (NO!) with something at work and missed my window of opportunity. That's ok. Soon as I down my 2nd cup of coffee me and dog are headed out for our 3rd day of C25K. He's anxiously dancing at me using his humongous head to butt me - I swear, he weighs around 110 (more or less, probably a little bit more) and a good 1/3 of that is his head!

See y'all on the flip side. ;o)

Prusilusken
02-13-09, 07:17 AM
Welcome Wisefolly! :)
Good luck with gaining that weight. I know from friends that it can be very difficult indeed, but we'll all be routing for you!
Have you ever tried out a calory counting site?
I know they are usually for people trying to loose weight, but it's the way I'd do it if I had your problem too. Type in what you eat and how much you exercise to get a good pic of where you go "wrong" and how much you need to eat on any given day, compared to how much activity you've showed, to maintain your current weight.
Then try to up it with food sources you like.
I don't know if you've already tried this approach, but I know a few who have had good results with it. :)

I've had trouble staying out of the fats and sugars this week, and haven't exercised a lot; but I don't think it's been terrible. Will try to do better next week, though, and think I will. After all, my period will be over and gone by then.
Yeah, sorry to share this with you guys, but I think the gals know exactly what I mean... :s

20trackedmind
02-14-09, 01:10 AM
Sorry I have been MIA this week. My son's EKG came back abnormal. Something about a partial blockage in his right bundle branch, small p waves and placement of his heart. Scary stuff for someone who has NO idea what that even means. So, I have been stressing over it. Just when I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with him, boom, the tunnel caves in.

Sorry for venting. Just a little over whelmed.

justcallmedorie
02-14-09, 06:47 AM
I don't know what that means either, but hoping it's not insurmountable! Thoughts and prayers from me!!!

justcallmedorie
02-16-09, 05:29 PM
I did my C25K thing Saturday morning then went to the farm where we had no electricity due to wind storms in the middle of the week. :( Power came on at 9:21 that evening and I think the fridge and freezer stuff is ok for the most part.

Haven't done any form of exercise since then, can't ever seem to get up on Mondays. Maybe this evening, probably not.

Tomorrow morning for sure - C25K Week 2 - yippee!

justcallmedorie
02-17-09, 05:13 PM
I did my C25K thing Saturday morning then went to the farm where we had no electricity due to wind storms in the middle of the week. :( Power came on at 9:21 that evening and I think the fridge and freezer stuff is ok for the most part.

Haven't done any form of exercise since then, can't ever seem to get up on Mondays. Maybe this evening, probably not.

Tomorrow morning for sure - C25K Week 2 - yippee!
Or not. I'm not feeling overly well this week. Tummy troubles, think there's a lovely bug going around. Gaaaaah!

Just out of curiosity, anybody else out there??? Hellooooooo hellooooo helloooo hellooo

20trackedmind
02-17-09, 05:50 PM
I'm here Dorie, But still wrapped up in my own drama at the moment. I keep checking in here. We go to the Cardiologist tomorrow and am praying it is nothing serious and he can stay on his meds. His meds allow him to be a normal 4 yr old. I don't want to take that away from him.

justcallmedorie
02-18-09, 10:34 AM
I'm here Dorie, But still wrapped up in my own drama at the moment. I keep checking in here. We go to the Cardiologist tomorrow and am praying it is nothing serious and he can stay on his meds. His meds allow him to be a normal 4 yr old. I don't want to take that away from him.
Oh gosh sweetie, let us know how it goes. I was just being a smart-aleck earlier...

Prusilusken
02-18-09, 07:04 PM
Pheeew, 20, you and your family must be worried out of your skin!
I wish you guys all the luck in the world!

20trackedmind
02-19-09, 08:04 PM
Yeah!!!!! Ecogram shows nothing serious!!!!! Cardiologist says he can continue with his meds and every other aspect of life!!! Thanks Dorie and Prusilusken for the nice words:)

On another note.... I probably gained 10 lbs this week so be prepared when I post tomorrow;)

mADD mike
02-19-09, 09:25 PM
Yeah!!!!! Ecogram shows nothing serious!!!!! Cardiologist says he can continue with his meds and every other aspect of life!!! Thanks Dorie and Prusilusken for the nice words:)

On another note.... I probably gained 10 lbs this week so be prepared when I post tomorrow;)

My wife and I are so happy for you and your son! :D Those kinds of things are always scary. Heart problems run in my family and are my personal biggest fear as far as health goes.

Now, jump for joy for a few hours and lose those 10 lbs. :p

cwatca
02-19-09, 10:52 PM
a get fit club?...cool:cool:
I haven't gone to the gym in 2 weeks...lacking motivation...I think I kinda miss it...maybe I'll go to the gym tomorrow afternoon after I lurk around the school for a bit

20trackedmind
02-19-09, 10:57 PM
My wife and I are so happy for you and your son! :D Those kinds of things are always scary. Heart problems run in my family and are my personal biggest fear as far as health goes.

Now, jump for joy for a few hours and lose those 10 lbs. :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Will do!

mADD mike
02-19-09, 11:40 PM
This week's results thread is up and ready for you to post in. See you there!

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=703685#post703685

Prusilusken
02-20-09, 07:17 AM
I believe congratulations are in order, 20!!! :D
I too am very, very happy on your behalves!!!
WHAT A RELIEF!

CWATCA - Welcome to GFC!:)

Hope to see you posting again soon! :D
And rest assured, that even if things don't turn out too good and you don't get a lot of exercise (if any) in the next week, we all encourage you to drop by here and in the results thread anyway and to tell us about it. :)

We all have hopeless weeks and good weeks, they all count, and if you keep on going with the posts even when you're in a bad place, the rest of us as a group will be here to encourage you, praise you, or just understand you.
The other bonus is, that it's so much easier to remember to post your results if you sign up for all "result weeks". At least, that's what I feel like.
Use the advice as you see fit.

Heeheehee...I wrote FIT! *Geeky laugh* :D

Aaanyways, I hope the GFC will help you as much as it helps me! :)

justcallmedorie
02-20-09, 09:40 AM
Welcome cwatca!

20, glad your son is showing nothing serious! As for the 10 lbs, just do like I do, don't get on the scales, that way you won't know...then when you "feel" lighter, weigh-heheh.

Prusi, I couldn't agree with you more about the good weeks and the bad weeks, this being one of my bad weeks. Just coming in and reporting that I didn't do anything makes me feel accountable and more apt to get back out there when I'm feeling a bit better.

Still queasy/weird feeling and haven't done anything all week {sigh}. "Swimmy-headed" is a good description. Think my sinuses are unhappy and they are making the rest of me miserable too. Grrr.

Tara
02-20-09, 03:36 PM
I think I may have done things backwards...I posted my results for the week before posting on this thread! I've seen the GFC for a while but kept avoiding it because I really struggle with exercising and didn't really want to deal with it publicly.

I've been exercising regularly since January and really kicked things up a bit over the past couple of weeks. So, here I am joining and hoping this will help keep me on track!

mADD mike
02-20-09, 05:25 PM
a get fit club?...cool:cool:
I haven't gone to the gym in 2 weeks...lacking motivation...I think I kinda miss it...maybe I'll go to the gym tomorrow afternoon after I lurk around the school for a bit

I think I may have done things backwards...I posted my results for the week before posting on this thread! I've seen the GFC for a while but kept avoiding it because I really struggle with exercising and didn't really want to deal with it publicly.

I've been exercising regularly since January and really kicked things up a bit over the past couple of weeks. So, here I am joining and hoping this will help keep me on track!

Cool, welcome to both of you! No need to worry about struggling, we call do at times (see this and past week's results threads). But something is better than nothing, and it is cool to see more people venture down here and join in, even if they struggle. It makes it fun to have more people around.

Mike

Prusilusken
02-20-09, 08:07 PM
Tara, welcome...

Guys I have had some bad days.

I seem to have had too much going on again...
I don't understand, I feel like I don't do ****...I don't even work.
All I have to think about it being well and not pushing myself too hard, but somehow I still manage to do it.
I have no ill kids, I have no hard work, I have great friends and my family is freaking awesome. I have NOTHING to be overwhelmed, stressed or depressed about.
And here I am. Had to cancel yet another appointment yhat I really wanted and had been looking forward to for some time, because I can't ****ing stop crying.

I'm so sorry I'm ranting...I'm just so fed up with all these mood fluctuations. If I could at least be just a tiny bit manic sometimes, but noooo...I get normal, happy glimpses, I get normal, I get weepy and self loathing and cranky and the best part is - most of the time I have no ****ing clue about when the wheel of emotion stops or where. Sometimes it all feels so random and accidental, and it makes me feel helpless and drained.

Hope you other guys have had a better week.

mADD mike
02-20-09, 09:07 PM
Tara, welcome...

Guys I have had some bad days.

I seem to have had too much going on again...
I don't understand, I feel like I don't do ****...I don't even work.
All I have to think about it being well and not pushing myself too hard, but somehow I still manage to do it.
I have no ill kids, I have no hard work, I have great friends and my family is freaking awesome. I have NOTHING to be overwhelmed, stressed or depressed about.
And here I am. Had to cancel yet another appointment yhat I really wanted and had been looking forward to for some time, because I can't ****ing stop crying.

I'm so sorry I'm ranting...I'm just so fed up with all these mood fluctuations. If I could at least be just a tiny bit manic sometimes, but noooo...I get normal, happy glimpses, I get normal, I get weepy and self loathing and cranky and the best part is - most of the time I have no ****ing clue about when the wheel of emotion stops or where. Sometimes it all feels so random and accidental, and it makes me feel helpless and drained.

Hope you other guys have had a better week.

Apparently, you do have something to be overwhelmed, stressed or to cry about. You don't do it for no reason, there is obviously something going on. Don't compare yourself with other people, they don't have what you do going on in their mind and body, so just try to be happy with who you are.

Your friends like you, your family likes you, people on the intarwebs that have never met you like you, so you need to just like you too.

Sorry it affects you so badly. I know from previous posts that you've really had some rough valleys when you get down, but you're a great person, just roll with who you are and accept things that you can't change, if you can. You'll be happier that way.

I myself get migraines fairly frequently. They used to really get me down, because......well........they hurt, and they seem to make me an idiot in that my brain doesn't work and I can't think right sometimes, and it pretty much means I won't get to do anything much that day. I would get so frustrated over the wasted days. Now, I just see them as a chance to rest, and roll with the punches. Getting frustrated never helped me, it only made the punches hurt more. So, I try (nope, not always successful) to just make the best of whatever life brings. Having ADD is out of my control. Having migraines is out of my control. No use in fighting what I can't control anymore.

I hope you can re-arrange things to make the appointment you were looking forward to at another day and time. Things usually have a way of working out.

Mike

justcallmedorie
02-21-09, 07:49 AM
Prusi, I second what Mike said. Sometimes I think I'm bumming for no reason when I really have reasons but just don't realize it until they're pointed out to me by others. Hope you get to where you want to be and soon!

Tara, welcome!

Mike, yes, something IS better than nothing, and boy do I realize that this week when I've done nothing. A good physical exertion is needed desperately. I'm heading to our farm in a few minutes and hope to do some hiking in the woods (and love on my bovine - damn I miss my cows). Max will enjoy that too (the hiking, not the bovine love - he actually barks at the cows and ******** them off), he probably needs the exercise at least as much as I do, if not more.

One thing I think has contributed to my feeling icky is trying to sleep without my beloved Lunesta. The doctor wants me to not have to take it every night (HE should sleep as poorly as I do and say that!). Per his recommendations, I'm using Valerian Root. It helps some, but I STILL wake up 5-6 times a night or more, sometimes to go pee, but sometimes I just wake up and lay there and try to go back to sleep. I guess I'll keep on with the Valerian Root until my next visit (in April I think) and maybe it will eventually do the job. I still intend to take Lunesta when I'm at the farm - we've only got a twin bed and it's older than dirt and VERY uncomfortable, so I need to be completely knocked out to sleep on it. One of these days we're going to get a new, bigger bed, but until then...

Anyhow, I mainly wanted to welcome Tara and wish Prusi better feelings. I'll check back with y'all Monday or so, earlier if I actually do anything to break a sweat-LOL.

justcallmedorie
02-23-09, 01:17 PM
Hate to report, but no sweat was broken over the course of the weekend. I'm going to have to drag my treadmill out once more because it is NEVER going to warm up enough to get back outside again (or so it seems :().

Prusilusken
02-24-09, 04:24 PM
I'm still not very active; I didn't go dancing today either.
I know the exercise is good for me, but I react badly to the thought of going anywhere right now. Tears are still hard to hold back when I get overwhelmed, even if I am not necessarily clinically depressed, it's just the way I seem to react to any kind of pressure and have been for 12 years...

But I really do want to do something today.
I have a short yoga warmup on a dvd somewhere, maybe I can do that.
It's just so aaargh..why is it so difficult to get to it?

I hope I'll get meds soon.
I hope they help.
I really, really need a break from being me right now.

I did walk for half an hour today, that's something, right.

20trackedmind
02-24-09, 10:45 PM
I'm still not very active; I didn't go dancing today either.
I know the exercise is good for me, but I react badly to the thought of going anywhere right now. Tears are still hard to hold back when I get overwhelmed, even if I am not necessarily clinically depressed, it's just the way I seem to react to any kind of pressure and have been for 12 years...

But I really do want to do something today.
I have a short yoga warmup on a dvd somewhere, maybe I can do that.
It's just so aaargh..why is it so difficult to get to it?

I hope I'll get meds soon.
I hope they help.
I really, really need a break from being me right now.

I did walk for half an hour today, that's something, right.

Prus, I am sorry you are going through this. I am not an expert but I can comment on my experiences. I would be willing to bet that meds are going to help you. Everyone always thought I had depression growing up because I did much of what you are discribing. It is not a secret that I love (obsess over) horses, but there where times in my life that I could not even get out to the barn to give my horse a carrot. But, since I got on meds, my moods and energy levels have greatly stablized.

Just want you to know that there is hope:).

20trackedmind
02-24-09, 10:50 PM
Well, had an hour dressage lesson. Trainer had me gallop my horse for about 30 minutes total. I was scared to death because my horse is off the track and much faster than anything I have ever ridden before. I guess I was a extremely tense, because I am sore in every muscle in my body. I can not even move my neck. So all I have managed to do after my lesson is a walk here and there with my kids.

munky_do
02-25-09, 02:27 AM
SOo, I've joined... we'll see if I can actually stick with this...

tomorrow it's 1 1/2 of aerobic workout... it's been about a week since I last did one. I'm in pretty good shape at the moment but I'm 24 so I know once a week isn't going to cut it for much longer.... I'd really like to gain more muscle mass, so I'm including 2 days of weight training a week to start out, and 2 days of Pilates.. so 2 days aerobics, 2 days of weights and 2 days of pilates.. I'll work out the actual schedule soon... if I can at least stick with 2 days of aerobics to start, I'd say that's pretty good, for me anyway :-P

Looking forward to hearing all you're successes, and I'm sure commiserating as well :-)

justcallmedorie
02-25-09, 04:42 PM
YAYAYAYAY! I finally got off my butt and did something for the first time in what seems like forever. It was a beautiful sunny 50+ degree day so I walked at lunch for 45 minutes. Endeavor to persevere. I'll be back to C25K before long I hope!

justcallmedorie
02-25-09, 04:43 PM
Whoa, I forgot to welcome munky_do, so...Welcome!

Prusilusken
02-25-09, 04:46 PM
Munku_do: WELCOME!

Dorie: YAY for YOU!!!

I'm just sitting tight here.
At least I haven't overeaten in a couple of days. That's something.

justcallmedorie
02-25-09, 04:54 PM
Munku_do: WELCOME!

Dorie: YAY for YOU!!!

I'm just sitting tight here.
At least I haven't overeaten in a couple of days. That's something.
Yes, that IS something. I had wound up sugar-bingeing again, so I started back to low carb yesterday. Since I haven't been running, I'm thinking it will kill the sugar cravings nicely and I don't have to worry about not having enough energy. I really enjoyed low carb and only went to more carbs because of the running. I ran on low carb when I was in my 20s (25 years ago-YIKES) and did fine, so I might try to keep on and see what happens if I maybe keep on keeping on - maybe I'll get used to it...

20trackedmind
02-25-09, 05:26 PM
Welcome Munku_do!

It is 80 degrees here and I am too sore to ride!!!!!!

20trackedmind
02-26-09, 01:02 PM
Well, I managed to endure the pain and did about 3 hrs of round pen training with my horses. Which basically is 3 hrs of walking in 6 inch deep sand. Today I am going to the park with the kids to walk the walking trail. I can get a 2 mile walk pulling the wagon easy that way.

cwatca
02-26-09, 06:53 PM
Today while I was taking the bus, my dad called me and asked me if I was going to go to the gym, and at first I said 'no' and so my dad told me to call him back when I got to a certain intersection and then my mom would start leaving the house and meet me and pick me up, but as soon as I got closer to the gym, someone pulled the string to be let off the bus and I practically lept (sp?) off my seat and off the bus to go to the gym...I pushed myself to go in there...and I worked out for 1 hour today...

first time I went to the gym in 2 weeks

my mind is still a bit confused as to what happened...it's saying "wow...you actually went to the gym today...what the??? why?"

mADD mike
02-26-09, 07:06 PM
SOo, I've joined... we'll see if I can actually stick with this...

Looking forward to hearing all you're successes, and I'm sure commiserating as well :-)

Very cool! Welcome to the club. I would have welcomed you earlier, but my internet went down for a few days. Glad to see another newbie.:D

YAYAYAYAY! I finally got off my butt and did something for the first time in what seems like forever. It was a beautiful sunny 50+ degree day so I walked at lunch for 45 minutes. Endeavor to persevere. I'll be back to C25K before long I hope!

Good for you! I'm so ready for winter to be over. I want to be able to go out, or just to see the sun shine. This weather has completely killed my motivation, and I need it back quickly. Glad to see someone stepping up out of the funk.

Today while I was taking the bus, my dad called me and asked me if I was going to go to the gym, and at first I said 'no' and so my dad told me to call him back when I got to a certain intersection and then my mom would start leaving the house and meet me and pick me up, but as soon as I got closer to the gym, someone pulled the string to be let off the bus and I practically lept (sp?) off my seat and off the bus to go to the gym...I pushed myself to go in there...and I worked out for 1 hour today...

first time I went to the gym in 2 weeks

my mind is still a bit confused as to what happened...it's saying "wow...you actually went to the gym today...what the??? why?"

Awesome! Hopefully your body will eventually ask you why you don't go to the gym one day, rather than why you actually did, lol. I've thought about joining a gym, but I just have a hangup about spending money for something I may not use and will feel guilty about. Oh, and I just don't like being around a lot of people either. Well, I can take a huge crowd where I fade into obscurity, or a very small crowd of just a few people. Anything in between kicks my anxiety issues up a few notches. That's really cool though, to push yourself to do something like that. I know it is hard to do, so you should feel proud of that.

Mike

justcallmedorie
02-27-09, 12:59 PM
Good for you! I'm so ready for winter to be over. I want to be able to go out, or just to see the sun shine. This weather has completely killed my motivation, and I need it back quickly. Glad to see someone stepping up out of the funk.
Well, I didn't step up for long...Next week it's supposed to be wicked cold again (lows in the low teens) so I won't be trying to get outside, however I really must start treadmilling when I can't go outside. As it is, I'll be starting over AGAIN on C25K week 1. I've managed to walk at lunch outside once this week, yesterday I went to the mall and walked, but yuck, that's a total last resort. Hopefully the rain will hold off enough to slip out at lunch today. I suppose I can take an umbrella and tough it out. It's currently 57 degrees, so I don't think a little rain would be too bad...Weather.com says just cloudy for the rest of the day per the hourly forecast so I might get lucky.

It certainly seems like we're all in a funk right now. Maybe it's because it's the end of February. All the winter blahs are piling up and weighing us down. I'll blame mine on that anyhow. I've not even been able to drag my sorry butt out of bed in a timely manner lately. In order to get my exercise done in the mornings and take care of the critters and get ready for work to be here on time I MUST be out of bed no later than 4:30, 4:00 is optimum. I have managed to sleep until 6:00 every morning this week. Needless to say, I've been late to work every day. Maybe when the time changes and I feel like there's more day at the end of the day (lol) I'll be up to doing something. I know that we "lose" an hour of sleep and theoretically the later daylight should make for less sleep (well, sort of, you know what I mean?) I still think I'll be better off just for having more light, whether it be cloudy light or sunny light, JUST LIGHT!!! Sorry for the rant, it just slipped out...

Anyhow, while this week has been a wee bit better in terms of exercise (1-1/2 times is better than none, right?) I feel like I'm spiraling downward to an ugly place. I KNOW that I will improve when the weather breaks, but merciful Heavens, WHEN WILL IT BREAK???

Ok, I'm going to bugger off now and let you guys have a break from my attitude today. Sorry 'bout that. Matter of fact, I'm going to lace on my walking shoes and hit the boulevard for a while. I'll report back later (unless I receive requests not to-lol) on how it went.

Once again, sorry for the attitude from hell today.

20trackedmind
02-27-09, 02:42 PM
Dorie, I just wanted you to know that my son thinks that I am actually talking to "The Dorie" when he sees you on here. He always has a bunch of stuff he wants to tell you:)

justcallmedorie
02-27-09, 02:58 PM
Dorie, I just wanted you to know that my son thinks that I am actually talking to "The Dorie" when he sees you on here. He always has a bunch of stuff he wants to tell you:)
Heheh, (you mean Dorie from "Finding Nemo", right? - I COULD be her - that's where I got the name, everybody who first saw the movie swore up and down they modeled Dorie after me-LOL). If he wants to tell me stuff, he can email me at justcallmedorie (at) gmail (dot) com. I would get a kick out of that!

I took my 3 mile walk and feel a bit less grumpy. Ate my lunch, and now I'm ready for a nap. I could curl up under my desk and nobody would know (shades of George Costanza). Guess I better not...

Later y'all.

20trackedmind
02-27-09, 03:20 PM
Dorie,

I think winter has taken a toll on alot of people. If I get stuck in the house to much and not outside, I start feeling a depression or aggitation coming on. Luckily here in Texas, winter has been sort of mild. Time for daylight savings and nice weather to come so it is actually enjoyable to be outside.

LostInTheStars
02-27-09, 07:42 PM
I definitely cannot wait for spring to hit! I just need a little tiny bit of sun to get me going. Of course, give me a short time and I will be complaining about the heat and wishing for winter!! :p

justcallmedorie
02-27-09, 08:59 PM
I definitely cannot wait for spring to hit! I just need a little tiny bit of sun to get me going. Of course, give me a short time and I will be complaining about the heat and wishing for winter!! :p
Heheh, I've already told my husband to tell me to shut up when I start complaining about the heat...:p

Prusilusken
02-28-09, 11:03 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=709189#post709189

Hehe I almost forgot this time (or did I actually block it out!?);)!
Hope it's alright I place the link here, Mike, just in case someone else than me has the habit of only remembering if they see the link in red in this actual thread... :P

I still feel tired and cranky and low on energy almost all the time.
I almost can't take the thought of going dancing monday and tuesday.
And I've even taken tomorrow off completely to relieve my sense of stress and give myself the sense of space. I just feel like my life is nothing but a Sisyphean struggle. I know it's just another low and that I'll be better again, but right now I just want it to be overwith.
Taking one day at the time...but please, wednesday, come and go soon.

I did have a friend come visit me today, though.
And I made myself walk down to the station to pick him up and also walked him to the train when he left just now. That's one hour all in all. Maybe a bit more.
Counting every step right now. Haven't overeaten today either.

How are you guys?
I'm so happy I can go here. I know I'm totally dragging you guys down at the moment (once again) but I really appreciate being here on GFC. I tihink it actually helps keeping me from falling completely off the floor sometimes.

Thank you guys for being here.

I hope I can make up for it when I'm well again.

LostInTheStars
03-01-09, 01:42 AM
How are you guys?
I'm so happy I can go here. I know I'm totally dragging you guys down at the moment (once again) but I really appreciate being here on GFC. I tihink it actually helps keeping me from falling completely off the floor sometimes.

Thank you guys for being here.

I hope I can make up for it when I'm well again.

Hmmm... I wouldn't say that seeing you have a hard tome is bringing me down at all. It makes me feel better about where I am (right now - we all know how quickly that can all change!) You have not a thing to make up for! :)

I like the idea of counting steps. I have been looking for my pedometer. Don't you hate it when you are looking for something and forget you are looking?! :confused:

My biggest problem is this thing I that is looking me in the face right now. I get on the computer and I'm on it all night. Then I haven't exercised or done any of the things that I needed or wanted to do. Mike and I are trying to take measures to stop that.

DotwithADD
03-01-09, 09:08 PM
Man... have I missed y'all!!! But I have been BUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSY!!! I am exercising, I am working (a volunteer job) at the local Hospital (for my class) and walk 10 min. to and from my car to the office every day for a total of 20 min. I have been walking/standing at different events when I take photos for the local newspaper's online photo gallery (http://spotted.tylerpaper.com/) (I'm a freelance photographer). Anyway, I have covered two events this last weekend. Oh, and I still help with Square Dance lessons (I'm also "re-learning") every Tuesday evening until May, go to the dances. Each dance lasts about 5 min, though. Dancing 2 dances after the other...

Anyway, I weighed myself at my dr's office, 3 weeks ago at about 190.5 lbs. Then weighed myself again 2 weeks ago and gained 2 lbs:eek:! Yikes! How did that happen? I ate too much pie and cookies at work, that's what - I work in a medical office at the hospital where we get "free" meals once in a while (usually every week). This last Friday, I weighed at 190 again, so have to wait until this coming Friday to weigh myself again and hope I've exercised AND ate the right foods (I've been trying). So, I won't be reporting my weight loss and activity until then. (Cause I forgot exactly how much activity I did)...

Here's hopin'!

mADD mike
03-02-09, 10:22 AM
Man... have I missed y'all!!! But I have been BUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSY!!! I am exercising, I am working (a volunteer job) at the local Hospital (for my class) and walk 10 min. to and from my car to the office every day for a total of 20 min. I have been walking/standing at different events when I take photos for the local newspaper's online photo gallery (http://spotted.tylerpaper.com/) (I'm a freelance photographer). Anyway, I have covered two events this last weekend. Oh, and I still help with Square Dance lessons (I'm also "re-learning") every Tuesday evening until May, go to the dances. Each dance lasts about 5 min, though. Dancing 2 dances after the other...

Anyway, I weighed myself at my dr's office, 3 weeks ago at about 190.5 lbs. Then weighed myself again 2 weeks ago and gained 2 lbs:eek:! Yikes! How did that happen? I ate too much pie and cookies at work, that's what - I work in a medical office at the hospital where we get "free" meals once in a while (usually every week). This last Friday, I weighed at 190 again, so have to wait until this coming Friday to weigh myself again and hope I've exercised AND ate the right foods (I've been trying). So, I won't be reporting my weight loss and activity until then. (Cause I forgot exactly how much activity I did)...

Here's hopin'!

Glad to hear that you're out and about and doing some things you love. Cool pics on the link, as I love taking photos too. I don't get paid though, I just post them in the photography sub-forum here, lol. That's about all of the exposure my photos get.

Oh, and from the few medical people I've known, those hospital and doctor's office lunches can be quite the spread of every temptation, especially if any of the pharmaceutical companies put them on. I'm sure I'd give in, the willpower isn't that strong.

Glad to see you around. :D

Mike

ADHDTigger
03-03-09, 05:27 PM
Hey guys! Got room in this joint for one more? Training season starts at the end of the month but I won't be able to train until the ice melts off the trails. Mall walking is a non starter for me. It makes me crazy. So I will have to come up with aerobic alternatives that will allow me a similar benefit to walking at a 3 mph pace.

I train a 24 week program that increases mileage every week. The schedule stays essentially the same- Monday is a rest day, Tuesday is walking, Wednesday is cross training, Thursday is walking, Friday is cross training, Saturday is walking and Sunday is walking. Since I train other walkers, I am good at doing the Saturday and Sunday walking but not so good with the Tuesday/Thursday walking. I generally am caught up with something on my worktable and don't want to leave. I'll try to do the miles in the morning so I can get them out of the way.

The goal is to be ready to walk 60 miles in three consecutive days for the Breast Cancer 3 Day. This will be my fourth time walking it. The event is in August.

Like many women, I probably have 10 pounds or so that I could afford to be rid of but am generally in reasonable shape. I have recently changed my diet to restrict more carbs and increase protein so I may find some differences when walking.

Not entirely sure what all I need to be doing to get active with the club. I just figured that this would be a good fit right now.

cwatca
03-03-09, 05:41 PM
WOOT! Go Tigger!:):):)

stef
03-03-09, 05:46 PM
wow that's great!
(LOL; waiting for the ice melting off the trails. things I don't miss about the midwest!)

justcallmedorie
03-03-09, 06:06 PM
wow that's great!
(LOL; waiting for the ice melting off the trails. things I don't miss about the midwest!)
Dagnabbit rabbit, that's one of the reasons I've managed to become a freakin' slug. I'm still here and I'm still a slug.:(

Welcome Tigger!

mADD mike
03-03-09, 11:43 PM
Welcome Tigger! What a great reason for joining in. Hope to see you posting down here to let us know how things are going. Every Friday we have a "results" thread that I post, where you can tell everyone what you did for the week. It helps to see others doing well, and even when others don't do well, it shows that we all struggle at times.

Mike

justcallmedorie
03-04-09, 07:09 AM
I was struck by a thought on my way home from work yesterday (I know, it hurt-LOL). "Why not do the outdoor routine AFTER work while it's still too cold in the mornings?"...soooooo, as soon as I hit the door I changed into my running gear, grabbed Max (he was the happiest hound EVAR) and off we went. Did Day 1 of Week 1 of C25K, winding around in our neighborhood so as not to have to try and cross the main drag during a more busy time than 5:00 a.m. traffic. We did it! Finally, maybe I can lose my "slug-ness". Why didn't I think of that before? Who knows...maybe I'll be able to get back to actually running before too long.

Happy exercising, y'all.

Prusilusken
03-04-09, 07:17 AM
Welcome, Tigger! :)

Dorie - sounds awesome! Keep up the good work!

justcallmedorie
03-06-09, 11:58 AM
Woohoo! I hit the pavement after work Tuesday AND Wednesday, C25K week 1. YES! I think I'm back in the groove. I'll say one thing, it was horribly disorienting. When we go in the mornings it's dark. When we went the two days in the evening it was dark, but my brain is thinking morning 'cause everything sort of seems the same. I wasn't getting in bed 'til 10:30 or 11:00 which is sooooo not me-LOL. Anyhow, we got up this morning and did it again, so I've done the first week. If I don't head to BovineLand this evening I'll get up and do it again tomorrow morning. If we run in the morning we'll do one more day of Week 1, but if I don't get back out 'til Monday I'll be starting Week 2. I finally found ski masks that cover the nose but leave the mouth open so I hope to be able to stand the cold a little better if need be, and by next winter should be in the groove and be able to continue.

Later y'all!

I feel good (do-do-do-do-do-do-do), like I knew that I would (do-do-do-do-do-do-do).

Prusilusken
03-09-09, 12:20 AM
Just checking in to say I might as well write down anything this time, since I have done nothing at all. I am taking a break on the diet and I can't seem to throw myself out the door at the moment. SO nothing from me.

Hope everyone else is good, and I hope I will soon be back.
If I am lucky, I'll get my dx this upcoming thursday.
We'll see.

munky_do
03-09-09, 05:43 PM
Hey guys well I guess it's time for me to drop in again... with no big news, I'm in the same boat as you Prusiluken, nothing accomplished this week except finally dragging my butt out of the house yesterday when the nasty winter weather we've been having suddenly turned spring-like, it felt really good.. But that's no where near where I've wanted to be. This whole week has been a write-off period! It's a vicious cycle, staying indoors during the winter, as miserable as it is outside, it only makes me more miserable to stay out of the sun for so long. The weather is weird here though, we get a nasty blizzard, followed by a day of it melting a bit (and massive puddles), then overnight it all freezes over and turns to ice, which never gets salted so that slows down getting anywhere too.. also I've lost my gloves, again. I should just move south, if the economy wasn't so bad!

Anyway, that's my moan for the day :-P thanks for listening, guys :-P

justcallmedorie
03-12-09, 05:47 AM
I've only been out once so far this week myself. Seems I've given up sleep for lent. Actually, I'm trying to get off Lunesta except for "emergencies" and have been staying up fairly late so I'll be able to fall asleep d/t being so tired. I think it's working except I can't drag out of bed in the mornings. And I'm not overly thrilled about going out in the evenings with Max when it's still daylight - too many distractions for him - people mainly, he just wants to "visit" everybody that's outside and that gets to be a pain in the backside...I'm going to try to get out at lunch today and tomorrow and at least walk.

Later y'all. Hang in there, spring really is coming!

Prusilusken
03-12-09, 12:19 PM
Checking in to tell you guys that I have FINALLY been diagnosed!

Maybe things will get just a little bit better for me from now on.
I really hope so!

Hope everyone else is good. :)

justcallmedorie
03-12-09, 12:47 PM

I really hope so!

Yay! Do you know about meds yet?

Wisefolly
03-12-09, 01:52 PM
I haven't been following up on this, but I will try to start over sometime in the next few weeks. Just started working with an ADD coach on Saturday, and I'm relearning how to schedule. Still having trouble with impulsiveness, and I'm not following it completely, but the more I do it, the more I'll have an incentive to stop procrastinating as much. I have a very very long way to go, and did a lot of procrastinating this week, but it is a bit better than it has been. :)

Prusilusken
03-12-09, 07:20 PM
Yay! Do you know about meds yet?
Doctor prescribed Ritalin, 5mg twice a day for now.
I am going back to see him tuesday.

I took my first dose today just before I wrote the last post.
I almost had to take a nap when it kicked in, hehe...but I managed to stay awake and it seemed some of the static in the back of my head eased up a bit.
Looking forward to trying the "full 2x5mg" tomorrow and see if I have some effect.

mADD mike
03-12-09, 08:36 PM

I really hope so!

Congrats Lise! I hope this helps you out.:D

mADD mike
03-12-09, 08:41 PM
A new results thread has been posted for this week! Sorry I forgot to link to it here last week, but I was out of town and forgot. Here you go:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=716017#post716017

20trackedmind
03-13-09, 08:06 AM

I really hope so!

Great news! I hope you can start getting better for you now. Life before a correct Dx can be very difficult. I am glad you are past that now:)

justcallmedorie
03-14-09, 09:25 AM
Doctor prescribed Ritalin, 5mg twice a day for now.
I am going back to see him tuesday.

I took my first dose today just before I wrote the last post.
I almost had to take a nap when it kicked in, hehe...but I managed to stay awake and it seemed some of the static in the back of my head eased up a bit.
Looking forward to trying the "full 2x5mg" tomorrow and see if I have some effect.
I've started taking 1.25 mg of my dex about a half hour before bedtime and I've finally started sleeping half-way decently since attempting to quit Lunesta (still miss my Lunesta). Odd, but I read something about doing that somewhere and thought I might as well try it.

Congrats on your dx and here's to hoping your meds work out the first time (my doc made me try Strattera first, {shiver}).
http://www.smileycons.com/img/spring2/3355.gif (http://smileycons.com/)

Prusilusken
03-16-09, 08:21 AM
Thank you so much guys; I too hope that this will help me push my life in another direction. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to talk about how the 5mg are affecting me. I would very much like to try a higher dose, but we'll see what he says.
As long as he doesn't decide to stop the treatment, I will be okay with his desicion. After all, 5 days is not a lot of trial to go on.

Good news, btw:
I am back on the diet I was on, third day now and I feel like I have the surplus now that the pressure of assessment (and seeing a psych, I always freak out around those, hehe - or, have in the past. Still do a bit around this one, but I am getting better;)) has relieved a bit.
I am tired today, but I do feel that I will be able to attend my dance classes for the first time in three weeks, so exercise should be improving again already during this week. We'll see. I try to be very careful, so as not to crash again before I actually have gotten up.
I took a half hour walk yesterday too.
I have a good feeling about this.

Baby steps.

I hope everyone else is good!

justcallmedorie
03-16-09, 12:54 PM
Me & Max did Week 2 this morning, yay! The week looks pretty good weather-wise, so maybe I'll finally get back out with some regularity...

mADD mike
03-16-09, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty happy about today. I got up and drove to a place, then hiked alone for over 4 hours. A large portion of the trail was for horses, very muddy and with large gravel. It was a steep descent into a valley, and then a steep ascent on the way back (which I thought would kill me, why do you have to go uphill at the end when you're already beat). The trail description is meant for horses, and it cautions to give them plent of breaks due to the very long and steep ascent out of the valley. Let's just say that a horse likely fared better than me, but I did make it out. It was fun, but I am dead.

Glad to see others getting out too!

Mike

justcallmedorie
03-17-09, 11:30 AM
Way to go Mike - sounds like an interesting (to say the least) hike!

We (Max & I) did week 2 yesterday morning of C25K (Couch to 5K from coolrunning.com) and it felt good. It was a little too ooky this morning, so I'm going to walk at lunch here in a few minutes then maybe take him for a walk when I get home. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty nice so we'll get up and do it again. I would like to be back to running 2.5-3 miles by my 50th birthday which is in slightly less than 2 months, so I'm going to have to get with it!

The sun is shining here and it doesn't look like too much of a breeze, so it should be quite nice for a walk.

Later y'all.

justcallmedorie
03-18-09, 10:22 AM
Well, I spent my lunch yesterday continuing the reformat happiness on my laptop and was still in here 'til almost 7 pm as I couldn't just grab it and go while it was in the midst of whatever it was doing. I did get it where I want it to be, made an image with Acronis and now I'm good to go again. The next time I'll be a little bit further in the update department, etc. So much easier than reformat, reinstall EVERYTHING, and so forth. Had I known then what I accidentally discovered in this process, I wouldn't have had to reformat at all - apparently my external hard drive was causing some major issues. Oh well, it's done.

Dog and I did week 2 again this morning. It felt much better than on Monday. I ran a little more than the podcast called for, but then again, I'm hoping a little muscle memory will get me to the 2.5-3.0 mile mark quicker than the whole 9 weeks. I will be 50 on my next birthday (where on earth did the time go???...and why am I not acting my age???) which is in 8 weeks, and I want to be running the distance by then. That is motivation enough to drag me out of bed on time. I didn't get to bed 'til 11:00 last night (finishing up the computer happiness) and was able to get up at 4:30 and get out the door in a (sort of) timely manner for the exercising. Tonight I shouldn't have any excuse for not getting to bed at a more decent hour. I hope...

Anyhow, I hope everybody else is starting to get their groove back, Friday is the official start of Spring (hallelujah!) so at least in my mind things will be better, even if the actual weather doesn't cooperate fully...Later gators!

mADD mike
03-18-09, 11:41 AM
My little hike the other day has had some bad effects. My body rebels in one way or another against me ever getting in the shape I want. It is one thing to fight my ADD tendencies to lose focus and quit, but quite another when the good that I do is met with bad consequences.

For instance, my hike. I have asthma, which makes it near impossible at times to catch my breath. Often, and in this case, I get really bad headaches after working out. Today is Wed, I hiked Mon, and I still have a headache.

Also, I likely broke my arches in both feet as a kid, and my parents didn't think anything of it. So, to this day, walking, running, hiking, etc. causes really bad pain, particularly when going up any incline.

So lets see, as long as I don't have to walk, breathe, or do anything for a few days after a realy good exercise, I'm golden, other than other ordinary aches and pains. I really want to enjoy exercise, and it is really discouraging to always pay a price for it. I guess it is back to really short, not very taxing, workouts for a bit. My head is killing me.

Well, back to cutting up limbs from our tree that I should have gotten rid of a month ago.........

Prusilusken
03-18-09, 11:55 AM
Mike, maybe you need to learn not to do it excessively?
It sound like when you do exercise, you go totally nuts with it, hehe...
Is there any way you can take it down a notch without loosing that great feeling you get when you work out as hard as you seem to do now?
I think it's a challenge, but maybe it's doable?

I have weak arches, and am not in shape, so the trip you took the other day wold have totally killed me too, even if I do not have any severe physical problems...

How do you take your asthma-meds during the trip?
Do you take an aspirin before you go to thin your blood and maybe let it (and the oxygen with it) flow a bit easier? What measures do you take to smooth things out?

I know these thoughts are totally basic and you've probably tried it all, but just in case...if you've already done anything there is to do, please just think of my post as an inquiry out of curiosity. :)

mADD mike
03-18-09, 01:07 PM
Yikes! Lise, you brought up many good basic suggestions, things I've never really done.

As far as not pushing myself so hard, I'm kind of one of those all or nothing ADDers. I'll just go and go and go. When I was in my late teens, I love playing basketball, and was quite good. I would play until I got sick. I played hurt, I just wanted to play as much as I could. I loved it. I think that I pay a price for that kind of behavior. Finding a balance, a middle ground, is so hard for me. I never feel like I'm doing enough, something I've gotten better at in some areas of life. I guess I never applied it to exercise.

As far as the asthma goes, it has gotten a lot worse. I recently got an Albuterol inhaler when I had bronchitis. The doc told me that I could try it for the asthma I was diagnosed for as a kid. Without insurance, I couldn't afford my inhaler earlier in life, so I went without. Now, though without insurance still, I could probably afford it, and will give the inhaler a try soon, to see if it helps. This last hike was the worst it has ever been.

I usually take some ibuprofen for my headaches, and that helps a lot. I never thought to take it before I exercise.

I'm a fairly smart guy, but I don't really know how to take care of myself. My parents never made health anything to take seriously. We never went to doctors. Band-aids, and "get over it", were our medicine. I only went to a doctor with strep throat, which I got almost yearly. That was it.

I am hygenic and take care of myself that way. I believe strongly in being clean and well groomed, presenting myself well, but have little experience in taking care of myself medically.

Thanks for the simple tips. I'll give them a try. It is embarassing to not know the basics, and cause so much pain doing things the only way you know how sometimes.

Any more obvious tips?

20trackedmind
03-20-09, 08:19 PM
Oops! I think I posted to last weeks results thread.

mADD mike
03-20-09, 09:46 PM
Here is this week's results thread. Sorry it wasn't up earlier, but since I got rid of my home internet, I can post but I can't put up links from my cell phone. So, I knew I was going to get on my netbook wireless connection tonight, and held off posting the new one until I could do it right. So, here is the new one:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=719657#post719657 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=719657#post719657)

mADD mike
03-23-09, 11:15 AM
Had a great weekend! Went hiking for a couple of hours, taking it easier than last week's hike, and had a blast on Saturday. Even took my parents and sister along, of course my wife came as well. We had a good time.

Sunday, my wife and I went and found a place that we had hiked together while dating, a place that we had never found again, but had looked for over the years. We finally found the place, and hiked for another few hours.

I'll post some pics from our hikes down in the photography forum.

I'm off work today, working on some other business projects here and there, and she only has one house to clean. So, we're planning on taking a walk in a park, a mile or just over a mile. The park isn't far from us, and it has lots of different types of trees and such, so hopefully we can find more signs that spring is upon us. It has been great hiking over the past days, seeing all the little flowers coming out, trees blooming, etc.

Mike

20trackedmind
03-23-09, 06:57 PM
Hi everyone. Did you all have a good weekend?

mADD mike
03-23-09, 09:00 PM
Well, I did it. Like I said earlier today, the wife and I went for a mile walk today at a local park. It was very nice.

justcallmedorie
03-24-09, 11:48 AM
Mike, sounds like a wonderful place to hike - just mind the pollen this time of year!

Whoa, I was deader than 4 o'clock all day yesterday. Didn't have the "oomph" to get out and walk/run except to try for about a block or two, then had a hard time staying awake in the shower. Apparently I must have gotten horizontal again after I got out of the shower because my phone rang at 8:15 and Dh was asking me how the traffic, etc. was. I was a wee bit embarrassed to admit he woke me up. I threw on clothes and hurried to work. Didn't have ANY get up and go all day, but went to bed at a good time (before 8:30-yay!) and got up this morning and had a good workout with Max. Feeling a bit more alert today. I sort of crashed off the wagon over the weekend and I swear the bad food is what must have done me in. I'll have to remember that the next time I have an urge to eat poorly! FUEL, not fun. That will have to be my mantra for a while. I really did have a great run this morning. Week 3 = 90 seconds running/90 seconds walking, 3 minutes running/ 2.5 minutes walking, rinse, repeat, with 5 minutes of warmup and cooldown. I always take the final run and keep going until I reach the bottom of the hill where I end and have Max drag me up, so my last run today was probably 6 minutes or so. The rest of the week is supposed to be rainy so I don't know what I'll do. Who knows, some days I've been known to ignore the rain and "just do it".

20trackedmind
03-24-09, 04:43 PM
Yeah, the sun is out in full force. Mike and Dorie, I am going to follow suit and get outside and take a walk. Maybe the park again.

I have been doing the same routine on the wii so long now that it is on my favoritews section now. All I have to do is go to my favorites and there is my 45 minute workout with a little yoga, strength, balance and aerobic exercises in it. Makes life a little simpler. I am going to try to go from 20minutes a day to the entire 45 minutes at least five times a week. I gained a little weight from slacking off the past couple of weeks and need to get back in the groove of vigorous exercise. I just feel better when I get the exercise.

justcallmedorie
03-25-09, 08:54 PM
Me & Dog did our thing this morning. I was supposed to do the 90 second run/walk, 3 minute run/walk but felt so good I did next week's program which is 3 minutes run, 90 seconds walk, 5 minutes run, 2.5 minutes walk, rinse, repeat, then ran an extra time - don't know how long, but probably a couple of minutes extra. Supposed to be icky in the morning so I may sleep 'til 5:30 or so and hit it again Friday when it's supposed to be fairly nice again. Sooooo glad I got my motivation back! Hope the rest of you guys are doing the same!

20trackedmind
03-25-09, 09:11 PM
Good Job Dorie. I still am struggling just to get my 20 minutes of strength and yoga on the wii. I plan to do more but then get lazy and settle for the 20 minutes every time. I need this guy on the wii to get out of the tv and kick my butt into gear;)

justcallmedorie
03-26-09, 06:23 AM
Good Job Dorie. I still am struggling just to get my 20 minutes of strength and yoga on the wii. I plan to do more but then get lazy and settle for the 20 minutes every time. I need this guy on the wii to get out of the tv and kick my butt into gear;)
Heheh, I lol'd!

mADD mike
03-26-09, 10:50 PM
I have started a new results thread for the week. I can't post a link from my cell phone, but it is here on the exercise forum for you. Hope to see you there.

Only1Jomo
03-27-09, 12:06 AM
Hi guys. My name is Jo and Im a big time newbie. I think this thread is great. I've been having trouble getting in shape and its nice to know Im not alone. I dont know if any of you feel the same way but I hate aerobics classes, treadmils etc. I get insanely bored. So I am checking out dance classes in my neighborhood. I love music and dancing and thought it might be a great way to do cardio and not get bored, so I might actually stick with it. Anyone have the same experiences?

20trackedmind
03-27-09, 12:16 AM
Hi jomo,

Welcome! Dance classes sound like fun. Hope to hear about it:)

mADD mike
03-27-09, 09:28 AM
Welcome Jo!

I too find most exercise boring. I'm not a dancer whatsoever, but I try to find somewhat creative ways to get moving. I know that Prusilusken, a regular poster here, is into dance, and I think that one other person is as well.

I'm sure that you can find others that identify with you as well. Exercise is a great thing for ADDers, but sticking to it or finding it fun is something we all struggle with.

Hope to see you around.

Mike

justcallmedorie
03-27-09, 09:53 AM
Welcome Jo!

Me & Dog did our 3 min/90 sec, 5 min/2.5 min, rinse, repeat, add 2-3 min at the end thing this morning. I should be able to do it again tomorrow - yeehah! Then next week, my daily programs will be different. I think I might actually make the 2.5-3 miles by early May. Hope so anyhow.

LostInTheStars
03-28-09, 06:15 PM
hi, Jo! Glad to have ya! :D

It is raining here this weekend, and maybe even severe weather, so instead of hiking I took a nap! I hear it burns calories... okay, it is definitely not exercise, but needed the sleep. I have actually been cranky a couple days this week, and I just dont do cranky. I am more like the peppy, cheerful type. I think my brain is working better.

I guess now it is time for a workout! :)

justcallmedorie
03-30-09, 08:59 AM
Naps are good. I'm very jealous. If I were to take a nap I would NEVER get to sleep at night.:(

We did Week 5 of C25K this morning. Should have been 3-5 minute runs with 3 minutes in between, but I did 4. Mainly because that's what was left at the end of my route. Tomorrow we will repeat, Wednesday go see the vampire (I won't be able to workout if I can't have coffee beforehand, so I guess the cholesterol screening has to take precedence, grrr), then Thursday is supposed to be 2-8 minutes runs and Friday a solid 20 minute run. Whew, we'll see!

mADD mike
03-30-09, 12:33 PM
Hey peeps, I'm looking for some suggestions to kind of help the GFC pick up some steam. We seem to have lost some interest over the winter, and the past month or so has had some results threads with little participation. We've also lost some members, though we've gained a few more. But I would love to hear some feedback, to see if there is any way to make this more appealing.

Here is the thread I started for suggestions, please let me know what you think:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=723455#post723455

minn306
03-30-09, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone. I have been reading over this thread and would like to join your group............if that is okay. I am doing weight watchers to loose weight but seriously need to get back into a regular exercise program

Thank you!

justcallmedorie
03-30-09, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone. I have been reading over this thread and would like to join your group............if that is okay. I am doing weight watchers to loose weight but seriously need to get back into a regular exercise program

Thank you!
Welcome! The more, the merrier!!

minn306
03-30-09, 01:22 PM
Welcome! The more, the merrier!!

Thank you very much. I am looking for some extra support and hope to get it here. I am also willing to give anybody that extra support they might need

justcallmedorie
03-30-09, 01:33 PM
Thank you very much. I am looking for some extra support and hope to get it here. I am also willing to give anybody that extra support they might need
I love your avatar. He's one of my favorites, right behind Tigger.

mADD mike
03-30-09, 02:37 PM

Thank you!

Welcome Rach!

Weight Watchers is a great program for healthier eating. I did it once, and lost a decent amount of weight, probably to the lowest I've weighed in quite some time. I just had a hard time remembering the point values, and how many I had left for the day, etc. It was too much for my ADD brain to keep up with.:o

I sure wish I could do it again, though. I have all of the information, though I never joined a group or anything. I am looking to do something with my horrible diet.................hmmmmm................maybe that is an option.

Do you find that anything in particular helps with keeping track of your points, or do you not have a problem with that? I need a secretary or assistant or something to follow me around and count, lol.

minn306
03-30-09, 03:06 PM
Welcome Rach!

Weight Watchers is a great program for healthier eating. I did it once, and lost a decent amount of weight, probably to the lowest I've weighed in quite some time. I just had a hard time remembering the point values, and how many I had left for the day, etc. It was too much for my ADD brain to keep up with.:o

I sure wish I could do it again, though. I have all of the information, though I never joined a group or anything. I am looking to do something with my horrible diet.................hmmmmm................maybe that is an option.

Do you find that anything in particular helps with keeping track of your points, or do you not have a problem with that? I need a secretary or assistant or something to follow me around and count, lol.

Thank you so much for the welcome. I look forward to getting to know everyone in this group.
As far as me with weight watchers............I did actually attend meetings about a year ago and did manage to loose quite a bit of weight. Due to finances I was no longer able to attend the meetings(I sure do miss them though). I have started back again on my own this time. With all the paper information I had gotten before and the knowledge that I had learned I feel I can do this on my own. I must say it is MUCH harder though without the support of the leader and others going to the meeting with you. People around me just do not understand what I am going through, ya know?! I totally understand what you are saying about remembering how many points you have left in a day. I actually have an on line food journal that I keep. It does help me a lot.

Thanks again for the welcome!

novagal
03-31-09, 12:30 AM
*opening door, quietly stepping in, looking around for friendly faces....*

Hi everybody!

I guess it's time I take the plunge - I'd like to join too. :)

I've been eyeballing this thread/group for about a month now, and kept putting it off. This morning when I bypassed my morning walk for something more interesting, and just about anything is more interesting at 7:00 am, I thought to myself "See, if you were a member of the GFC, you'd have gotten your hiney out onto that pavement so you could report about it on Friday!"

I'm a walker, and am just not as dedicated as I used to be. For me it's about the length of time I'm out there, not necessarily the distance, because it becomes very meditative for me after a length of time. So it's a spiritual and physical (therefore mental) thing for me. I did sort of recommit about a month ago, and have been doing a lot better by keeping a good brisk pace, adding stretches, stairs, and ten minutes to my walk. (oh, and I rediscoverd lunges.....ouch) I'm a baby stepper, in that even ten minutes more, as long as I am consistent is a success for me. And right now the consistency is what's lacking.

I'm not really looking to lose weight, I'm just not feeling as strong as I did a year or so ago. My legs have always been so strong - suddenly they're not. Hmmmm, I'm 47, and haven't been very active, could that have something to do with it? :rolleyes:

I may be interested in getting some ideas of other things I can add to my routine as well - suggestions and experiences are always welcome, it helps to keep things interesting.

So how does this work? Do I say what my goal is for the week here, or is that in a different thread?

justcallmedorie
03-31-09, 04:33 AM
*opening door, quietly stepping in, looking around for friendly faces....*

Hi everybody!

I guess it's time I take the plunge - I'd like to join too. :)

I've been eyeballing this thread/group for about a month now, and kept putting it off. This morning when I bypassed my morning walk for something more interesting, and just about anything is more interesting at 7:00 am, I thought to myself "See, if you were a member of the GFC, you'd have gotten your hiney out onto that pavement so you could report about it on Friday!"

I'm a walker, and am just not as dedicated as I used to be. For me it's about the length of time I'm out there, not necessarily the distance, because it becomes very meditative for me after a length of time. So it's a spiritual and physical (therefore mental) thing for me. I did sort of recommit about a month ago, and have been doing a lot better by keeping a good brisk pace, adding stretches, stairs, and ten minutes to my walk. (oh, and I rediscoverd lunges.....ouch) I'm a baby stepper, in that even ten minutes more, as long as I am consistent is a success for me. And right now the consistency is what's lacking.

I'm not really looking to lose weight, I'm just not feeling as strong as I did a year or so ago. My legs have always been so strong - suddenly they're not. Hmmmm, I'm 47, and haven't been very active, could that have something to do with it? :rolleyes:

I may be interested in getting some ideas of other things I can add to my routine as well - suggestions and experiences are always welcome, it helps to keep things interesting.

So how does this work? Do I say what my goal is for the week here, or is that in a different thread?
Welcome! If you think 7 a.m. is unmotivational, try between 5 & 5:30 :).

Some of us state our goals (at least we did for a while...) and some of us "just do it". I found that when I was stating my goals I felt even more likely to follow through. So, with that in mind, my goals for the rest of the week are: Day 2 of Week 5 of C25K today, visit the vampire on Wednesday, Day 2 again on Thursday, then Day 3 on Friday (the long 20-minutes run-aaaaargh:eek:). Then possibly nothing over the weekend, depends on what's going on in BovineLand. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

mADD mike
03-31-09, 09:31 AM
Welcome Nova!

You don't have to do anything special to join in. On page 1 of this thread, I explain how it works. You can help spread the word by displaying our logo in your sig. In this thread, we just chat in general throughout the week and get help and advice and encouragement from others. Then, each Friday, I post a "results" thread, and people relay what they did for the week. Some weeks are great, others aren't, but we are all trying and doing better than we would otherwise.

Oh, and I'll just go ahead and report that LostInTheStars and I walked/ran 1.15 miles last night. Woot! :)

justcallmedorie
03-31-09, 10:08 AM
Me & Dog did our run - 5 min warmup/8 min run/5 min walk/8 min run/2 min walk/4 min run/5 min cooldown. I'm starting to feel like a runner again rather than a slacker...:rolleyes: and I must admit it feels good!

novagal
03-31-09, 10:52 AM
Good job with the walking/running!

I think I'll post a weekly goal or "intention" here, just because it helps me to break things down into digestable pieces and gives me a little bit of much needed structure.

As I said, I'm looking for consistency in myself and haven't been moving around like I used to. Once I've been consistent for two or three weeks I'll want to increase things. I do well with checklists and specifics, so here goes - this week I want to:

3x: (by 7:30 am)
Stretch
1/2 hour walks that include the steep streets with stairs

3x:
warm up
walking lunges (without weights for this week)
Use my hand weights and do upper body excercises.

Question for you all, is it best to do the lunges/arm stuff on different days than the walks? Or does it matter? I am so out of the loop I can't remember if it makes a difference or not.

mADD mike
03-31-09, 10:55 PM
Nova, I'm no expert, but I don't see what it would hurt to do your lunges and arm exercises on the same day as your walks. When people alternate exercises, it is usually when they are breaking muscle down to build it up, which requires days of rest to let it recuperate. I've had exercise videos that do full body workouts on the same day, so there shouldn't be a problem at all.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy named Mike, so what do I know. I can't be held responsible for any injuries, but if you get in really good shape, you can credit me for that ;) .

Wisefolly
04-01-09, 08:35 AM
Hey! I'm not posting this in the results thread because it isn't Friday, and not all of the exercise has been out of my "normal routine," but I'm happy because I have been doing a lot more dancing lately, and I started cleaning my Dad's office and my parent's house for some extra cash a few weeks ago. I also started climbing with some friends on Sundays, and I'm hoping this will help me build some more muscle mass. (Yes, it will be lean muscle mass, but I'm not looking to get big, and it will hopefully still add weight to my frame.)

I had a break-up a few weeks ago, and lost the 2 or 3 lbs that I had gained, but as long as I remember to eat during the day while on my adderall (I've been changing doses which messed me up a little too), I should be okay! (Time to stop losing and gaining the same two pounds over and over. For those unfamiliar with my previous entries, I'm trying to gain about 5 pounds.)

Last week (the week of 3/22) results: Lindy workshops = hours of dancing Saturday and Sunday! :-) Then I had tango on Monday, more lindy and blues on Tuesday, and blues on Wednesday. (Monday and Tuesday don't really count right now because I've been taking lessons on Mondays for a couple months now, and I've been dancing on Tuesdays for years) I cleaned the office on Thursday, and my parent's house on Friday (which I know doesn't count, but hey, still exercise!) After seeing a show on Friday, I was able to catch the last part of another dance. Then I went tango dancing again on Saturday night! (I often go dancing on the weekends, but not always. Typical dancing is between 1 to 2 days a week (occassionally 3). So from Sunday to Sunday, I danced 6 days!!! Woo-hoo!!!

This week so far: Sunday I went climbing. Monday, I did some strength work, but not much. Tango Monday night. (typical) Lindy and blues last night. (typical) Plans for the rest of the week: Friday dancing? (if I can get back into the city) Saturday- dance in NYC, climbing on Sunday

Not sure if I should count the dancing on Mondays and Tuesdays or not because that has been a regular routine for me... opinions? I did add one night a week in dancing the past month on Wednesdays, so most weeks I have been dancing at least 3 days a week. Not sure how long I can continue to do that without a job, but it feels so good to be in this crazy dancing phase again.

I'm not quite ready to rejoin the group, and I know you need members, but I will get to it eventually after I get myself in order. Just know that I'm thinking about it, and as I get more organized and get more energy hopefully it will be easier to committ to this. I'm happy with what I'm doing for now, but it would be nice to get into a routine throughout the summer so that I can continue to exercise when the winter comes because I already have the routine down. We'll see what happens. :-)

So far, I'm really happy because I'm looking a lot stronger. My arms are gaining some definition! The set-back is that I keep gaining and losing the same two pounds over and over... I'll get there!

mADD mike
04-01-09, 11:29 AM
Not sure if I should count the dancing on Mondays and Tuesdays or not because that has been a regular routine for me... opinions?

I'm not quite ready to rejoin the group, and I know you need members, but I will get to it eventually after I get myself in order.

Hey, you know what, if you are doing something that gives you a good workout, just report it. It is encouraging to see other people doing something to make themselves feel better. Some people follow certain workout programs or routines, and it becomes the norm, but it is still exercise. I once took the position that it should be dedicated workouts that count, because I wanted to help motivate other ADDers, and sometimes we need a push and structure. However, we all have to do our level best, and if getting up out of bed in the morning is something that you feel good about, then report it. If you work a hard, physical job, report what you do if it makes you feel good. Let your own conscience be your guide.

Oh, and you don't have to join or rejoin the group, just let us know what you do and it sounds like you do quite a bit. Props to you for your efforts, you should be proud. We are happy to have people like you, and everyone else, just chiming in here and there if it is what you can do.

Mike

cwatca
04-01-09, 12:01 PM
Hey, you know what, if you are doing something that gives you a good workout, just report it. It is encouraging to see other people doing something to make themselves feel better. Some people follow certain workout programs or routines, and it becomes the norm, but it is still exercise. I once took the position that it should be dedicated workouts that count, because I wanted to help motivate other ADDers, and sometimes we need a push and structure. However, we all have to do our level best, and if getting up out of bed in the morning is something that you feel good about, then report it. If you work a hard, physical job, report what you do if it makes you feel good. Let your own conscience be your guide.

Oh, and you don't have to join or rejoin the group, just let us know what you do and it sounds like you do quite a bit. Props to you for your efforts, you should be proud. We are happy to have people like you, and everyone else, just chiming in here and there if it is what you can do.

Mike

I notice that I'm the type of person that always needs to be pushed to do something, my parents always say to me "you're like a log, when we need you to do something you need to be told/pushed to do it, and sometimes you're like a square log cuz when we tell you the first time, you don't go, so we have to tell you again"

Motivating other people is good, I think I need someone to motivate me or push or drag me to the gym. Maybe if someone on here who joined a gym could somehow drag me in with them virtually?...I don't get it though cuz I'm usually in the same mall as where the gym is located and I just can't get myself to go in there :confused:

Even though I've been too lazy to get myself to go to the gym, I play on my Wii Fit for about 30 mins. everyday

novagal
04-02-09, 12:25 AM
Nova, I'm no expert, but I don't see what it would hurt to do your lunges and arm exercises on the same day as your walks. When people alternate exercises, it is usually when they are breaking muscle down to build it up, which requires days of rest to let it recuperate. I've had exercise videos that do full body workouts on the same day, so there shouldn't be a problem at all.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy named Mike, so what do I know. I can't be held responsible for any injuries, but if you get in really good shape, you can credit me for that ;) .

Yeah, I realized after I posted that it's not like I'm doing some kind of intense muscle busting workout or anything. But if I happen to get substantially ripped lifting my monster 2 lb. hand weights, (no laughing!) I promise you'll get trainer credit. :)

I have a success to report today - I did everything on my list.
The bigger success was that even though it was 9:00 am before I got going, I still got going. The only reason I aim for 7:30 is because much later than that and I just end up skipping it. I've never gone after 8:30 am until today.

mADD mike
04-02-09, 10:13 AM
Good for you, Nova! It is always hard to get started when you don't get started at the time you prefer. I have a hard time pushing past that type of barrier as well. It seems like if I don't get it done when I planned, then it doesn't get done. Kind of the all or nothing mentality we ADDers often have. There is now, and not now, and for whatever reason not much in between.

novagal
04-02-09, 10:30 AM
It seems like if I don't get it done when I planned, then it doesn't get done. Kind of the all or nothing mentality we ADDers often have. There is now, and not now, and for whatever reason not much in between.

Exactly! I don't know if it's because I hold on so tightly to my shedules to compensate for chaos or what, but it's almost painful to just let go and go with the flow. On my walk, I made myself start waxing philosophical about the meaning of time in order to not turn around and run home like a horse headed back to the stable.

mADD mike
04-02-09, 10:12 PM
I just put up the results thread for this week. You can find it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=724811#post724811

justcallmedorie
04-03-09, 11:33 AM
I did my 20 minute run yesterday since it was going to be rather icky out today and while I got it done, I must confess I felt like I could "toss my cookies" by the time I got to the end of the 20 minutes. Argh! Nothing today though, rainy and thundery.

justcallmedorie
04-07-09, 12:02 PM
I've been bad so far this week - weather has turned icky again and I've managed to oversleep twice already (pretty bad since it's only Tuesday:eek:). Plan to start Week 6 tomorrow, wish me luck!

mADD mike
04-07-09, 06:19 PM
Hope tomorrow goes well for you Dorie. Perhaps without potentially "tossing you cookies". In fact, you probably shouldn't eat cookies as a pre-workout meal. :p

The weather here has turned as well. One day it is 70 degrees and sunny, the next we have a high around 40 and it actually spits snow out there. Crazy. It makes everyone get sick.

I have been lazy this week. Had a bad weekend and really just felt depressed, and perhaps I was. Feeling better today, and working hard, but have very low energy. I think I need more sleep, but that's a constant struggle. I'm getting better withit though.

Anyway, let us know how you do tomorrow. I wish I could do what you are doing, but the shin splints are killer for me.

Prusilusken
04-07-09, 09:22 PM
Guys, I am still here, I've just been distracted.
Mike, I will be answering your PM one of these days too.

I am holding on, I did attend my dance classes yesterday.
I have even worse problems initiating actions with Rit than I had without it, so even though I feel better in some ways, it affects other areas in my life in a pretty inexpedient way. Long story.

I have promised myself to write in the friday thread; I'll do it tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well.

kettish
04-07-09, 10:54 PM
Hi guys! Joinin' up officially starting next Sunday; I tried to start last week but ended up hurtin' because I tried too much too fast. Giving myself this week to rest up and then will start the "Couch to 5k" program.

See y'all around!!

justcallmedorie
04-08-09, 01:18 PM
This morning was awesome! The program was 5 min warmup, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 8 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run, then cooldown. I did the 5 min run/walk, 8 min run/walk, then the last run was probably along the lines of 7 minutes rather than 5. That last bit always depends on where I am physically...Anyhow, it felt great, I wasn't overly tired/winded, and had no desire to toss my (metaphorical) cookies. Yippee!! Tomorrow is two 10 minute runs with a 3 min walk in between...The next day is supposed to be a long 25 min run, but I'm not sure what's going to happen as the weather isn't looking good for Friday. Since I'll be on a roll, I might (emphasis on might...) do it in the rain.

Forgot to mention my weekend - Saturday spent half a day clearing brush. While that's not really exercise, it's waaaay more than I've been doing on the weekends. As the weather improves and the grass grows and the garden is planted and tended, my weekends will be more active than not. In the meantime I intend to be as much a sloth during them as I can. :p

LostInTheStars
04-10-09, 12:11 AM
Welcome, Kettish! Glad to have ya! :D

I am growing :O I have more in places that I was not prepared for! I now have only one pair of jeans. My others and ALL of my shorts do not fit. My days of eating whatever I want and not gaining weight are long gone!

novagal
04-10-09, 12:22 AM
In the meantime I intend to be as much a sloth during them as I can. :p

May I recommend a serving of peanut butter to go with that sloth? ;)

Good job Dorie! You're making me wish I could run. (crunchy back and ankles, not such a good idea) But I am feeling motivated to do my deal. I did it Wednesday, kicking and screaming most of the way. But what an amazing difference for the rest of the day. I was more focused, more motivated and more productive.

If I can just remember the connection between my little 45 minutes of activity in the morning and the benefits I see as a result....

Oh boy, the fitting of the shorts. Something's happened to the area of my legs around my knees. I don't recognize it so much. Who's knees are these and what have they done with mine!? Needless to say, no shorts for me for awhile.

justcallmedorie
04-10-09, 10:46 AM
No running for me yesterday or today. I never can remember to start antihistimine early enough in the spring 'til I wind up with migraines. YIKES!:eek: Oh well, next week is another week. I think I at least had exercise twice this week, could be worse.

Mmmmm, peanut butter with sloth, sounds positively yummy!

mADD mike
04-10-09, 07:44 PM
The new results thread for this week is up. Find it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=727853#post727853

mADD mike
04-10-09, 08:06 PM
No running for me yesterday or today. I never can remember to start antihistimine early enough in the spring 'til I wind up with migraines. YIKES!:eek: Oh well, next week is another week. I think I at least had exercise twice this week, could be worse.

Mmmmm, peanut butter with sloth, sounds positively yummy!

Here Dorie, made this for you :D (well, the combination of photos, not the actual sloth, nor the cookie, nor the original pics that I combined, so I guess I didn't really make much, lol)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/babyslothwithpbcookie.jpg

justcallmedorie
04-10-09, 09:02 PM
Love the picture. It's the thought that counts anyhow...;o)

justcallmedorie
04-16-09, 10:26 AM
Sorry for the absence - been having computer troubles again (see results thread for slightly more details).

http://www.addforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=291&pictureid=4633I've done soooooo well this week. I thought I was going to have problems on Monday and I did, but after that things have been fan-freaking-tastic. My husband set some broomsage on fire this weekend (intentionally) and it got a little bit scary, not quite out of hand, but close, and we wound up doing a bit of firefighting. http://www.addforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=291&pictureid=4633http://www.addforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=291&pictureid=4633I wound up doing quite a bit of smoke inhaling and it really messed with my exercise on Monday. I was going to do the 5 run, 3 walk/8 run, 3 walk/5 run that was called for, but was barely able to do the first 5 minutes of running. Felt like it did back when I was smoking and running. I realized why I felt that way so I didn't freak out. After that I just ran intervals as I felt able and by the time I was done with my route it felt like I was able to suck quite a bit more air down.

Tuesday was raining pretty hard. Rather than do nothing, I finally got my butt back to doing resistance training (YEA ME!). Wednesday I was able to run the whole distance of 2.1 miles plus resistance training. This morning I ran the 2.1 miles, no resistance training (yet anyhow). While I'm not up to the 3 miles I'd like to be doing yet, I finally feel like a runner again.:D What a glorious feeling!

I hope to be able to stay in touch here better now. IF MY STINKING COMPUTER WILL COOPERATE! Grrrrr.

Later y'all.

PS: I was trying to insert a picture but it wouldn't work for some reason...was going to show you the smoke I inhaled...

justcallmedorie
04-16-09, 10:27 AM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=291&pictureid=4633

Aha! THERE's some of the smoke I inhaled...

20trackedmind
04-16-09, 03:51 PM
Wow Dorie, That fire looks a little crazy. Yeah, you might have inhaled a little smoke there:)

mADD mike
04-16-09, 07:34 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/smokey-the-bear-classic.jpg

justcallmedorie
04-16-09, 07:42 PM
My husband felt a bit humbled when it was all over with. It really was worse looking than it actually was. At least the broomsage is gone...;o|

novagal
04-16-09, 07:53 PM
Yikes! We've got some pesky stuff growing in our back yard - is your husband available on weekends?

justcallmedorie
04-16-09, 08:20 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/smokey-the-bear-classic.jpg
How did I know that was coming? Just psychic I guess-LOL.

mADD mike
04-16-09, 08:37 PM
How did I know that was coming? Just psychic I guess-LOL.

Nah, I'm just not that creative, lol.

mADD mike
04-16-09, 08:48 PM
I've posted this weeks results thread. You can find it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=730221#post730221

saindon420
04-18-09, 03:02 PM
Im fairly new on the board and it just keeps getting better. Its great to see this kind of support for add when all most people care about are their meds doing the work for them.
I have played football in hs, semi-pro, and now in my 30's i still play in mens leagues. I used to bodybuild for years and got as far as 265lbs with little fat. After settling down with my fiance and kids i stopped due to time and priorities. I can very confidently say that when my diet and exercise was in check my Add was almost non-existant. now im 245 with 20lbs of flub to burn and my Add symptoms are worse than ever. So I started walking the 3 1/2 miles to work approx 45 mins instead of the 10-15 minute drive and it has made all the difference in the world. Although most of my symptoms are the basically the same my meds seem to be more effective. And for someone as easily distracted as I am, the good feeling I get after exercising is far less distracting than the feeling of being tired/unotivated/worthless ect....

novagal
04-18-09, 09:24 PM
Hi saindon420! Hey that's really encouraging for those that are walking (such as myself), to hear a guy who was a semi-pro football player and bodybuilder share about how walking 45 minutes a day makes such a difference. I realize you're not saying it's giving you the physique you had before settling down, but that you've gotten such benefit from it is really helpful.

Sometimes I start thinking that I should be doing so much more, joining a gym or something, but it's really not in the budget right now. Or running, but years of high heels etc, have left my lower back and knees not able to manage that. I definitely notice a difference in the motivation, even though it's only been a couple of weeks since I've been back on track with what I'm doing. ,

I was already thinking earlier today that when school is out, I want to get back to walking five days a week, and add walks to the Post Office, farmer's market, etc. So much driving to nearby places I do that I could leave a few minutes earlier and walk. I'm feeling motivated, thanks!

saindon420
04-19-09, 11:10 AM
Im glad that my post was able to help. Ive been lurking around the board and internet reading alot about add and exercise, mostly due to me finally addressing my add-i after allthese years. What ive noticed is many adders have problems losing weight and or building muscle even though they are doing the work (or so they say they are). I am almost willing to garuntee this is due to lack of proper nutrition. As we all know many of the stimulants and other meds adders take cause appetite supression this is great for someone who uncontrolably eats but if your trying to build muscle it leaves you with no fuel for your muscles. Even worse you dont have the nutrients to keep your joints healthy. And for someone trying to lose fat this can force your body to eat muscle for food. Anyone losing weight from cardio but not really burning alot of fat???? Or getting no results in the weight room???? Think about what your eating or not eating. If your on meds that make you lose your appetite and your working out or doing cardio make yourself eat atleast 200-400 calories of protein rich food.

FYI!!!!! POWER BARS AND SHAKES ARE WORTHLESS......

shakes and bars are junk food with way too much protein and too little nutrients.

Your body only digests 7-9g of protein , most protein bars ect... are high in cals and have anywhere from 14-40g of protein all that extra protein becomes a nasty trip to the john and most of the cals are being stored not burned.

20trackedmind
04-19-09, 11:07 PM
As of this Monday, my life is freed up quite a bit. No more babysitting, which means I am free to leave the house! So, this week, I plan on walking at least 3 miles at the walking park here in town at least 4 times a week. I am also going to start riding every morning weather permitting. I have a job interview for a teaching job this thurs that I am nervous about. I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years and feel a little out of the teacher loop. I am hoping that some extra exercise will help me stay focused and not act like a nervous ADD'er during the interview. I hate that.

justcallmedorie
04-23-09, 10:54 AM
Sorry for the absence, swamped at work, computer at home good for not much but a paperweight at the moment...

I've been doing fairly well in the running department, managed 3 times this week. I got a new phone with some cool options, one being an exercise tracking program that uses the GPS in the phone. Well, it tracks for distance-type exercises anyhow. I just started using it this morning. I've also been thinking about rejoining the gym for weight training. Have ZERO upper-body strength and really need to do something about that. I'll have to decide if I can somehow manage the time correctly...

Anyhow, I'll be reformatting my computer at home again and hopefully not be so far behind in the posting...

novagal
04-24-09, 12:20 PM
As of this Monday, my life is freed up quite a bit. No more babysitting, which means I am free to leave the house! So, this week, I plan on walking at least 3 miles at the walking park here in town at least 4 times a week. I am also going to start riding every morning weather permitting. I have a job interview for a teaching job this thurs that I am nervous about. I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years and feel a little out of the teacher loop. I am hoping that some extra exercise will help me stay focused and not act like a nervous ADD'er during the interview. I hate that.

It must feel kind of like vacation time for you! How did your interview go?

justcallmedorie, I totally hear you about the upper body strength. I've been doing upper body with weights, 2 lbs is all I can manage. I'd have thought that after four weeks I'd be able to go up to three lbs, or that it would at least seem a little easier. Nope. Not yet anyway.

I've had a good excercise week, did four days of walking, three days of weights, and have been able to go up to 50 lunges with weights, and have added calf exercises. I have been getting to bed too late though, and I can really tell a difference not only with my meds, but with my excercise too.

justcallmedorie
04-24-09, 02:37 PM
It must feel kind of like vacation time for you! How did your interview go?

justcallmedorie, I totally hear you about the upper body strength. I've been doing upper body with weights, 2 lbs is all I can manage. I'd have thought that after four weeks I'd be able to go up to three lbs, or that it would at least seem a little easier. Nope. Not yet anyway.

I've had a good excercise week, did four days of walking, three days of weights, and have been able to go up to 50 lunges with weights, and have added calf exercises. I have been getting to bed too late though, and I can really tell a difference not only with my meds, but with my excercise too.
I've literally been losing sleep over my stupid computer - trying every night to do something to avoid reformatting and reinstalling. I gave up last night officially. When I got up this morning I was too frazzled to even think about running, so I bit the bullet and reformatted again. Hopefully it will be good now...:mad:

mADD mike
04-24-09, 09:28 PM
I've posted the results thread for the week. You can find it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=733845#post733845

20trackedmind
04-24-09, 11:46 PM
Novagal, my interview went well. I took my meds and skipped the coffee. Did some yoga before driving there and then did about 5 minutes of deepbreathing in the car. I think I avoided the normally spastic first impression I give, (I hope). We will see;) I really need this job, but stressing and obsessing about it like I want to is not going to help. Thanks for asking:)

novagal
04-26-09, 11:14 AM
oooh, dorie (can I just call you dorie?) I can so relate to literally losing sleep over computer issues. It's like the energizer bunny in my mind just won't stop when it comes to that stuff! I hope it gets worked out for you.

20trackedmind it sounds like you really prepared yourself well. No coffee, yoga and deep breathing - good calming things to do. You gave it your best, if it's the job that's meant for you, it will be yours. :)

cwatca
04-26-09, 04:38 PM
good enough is good enough
you are the hero of your life
control of your body is control of your mind
move forward to personal triumph
looking good is feeling good

justcallmedorie
04-29-09, 09:33 AM
oooh, dorie (can I just call you dorie?) I can so relate to literally losing sleep over computer issues. It's like the energizer bunny in my mind just won't stop when it comes to that stuff! I hope it gets worked out for you.

20trackedmind it sounds like you really prepared yourself well. No coffee, yoga and deep breathing - good calming things to do. You gave it your best, if it's the job that's meant for you, it will be yours. :)
Yes of course you can call me dorie, that seems to be what everybody else does too...;o) It appears to finally be working like I want it to, at least until I fire up my video editing program which I suspect might be responsible for my troubles...

I got a new phone (sorry if I'm repeating myself, can't remember if I mentioned it or not and am too lazy to go back and look-LOL) which has gps on it. Nokia has a FREE (yippee!!!) program called "Sportstracker" that works with the gps. I've been tracking my "distance-type" workouts with it and can sort of compare speed, distance, etc. I'm not sure if I can link to them (I can even upload them as soon as I'm finished, before I've even got my cool-down walk in) but if I find that I can, I'll put a link in my signature. I'm also logging every evening what I did for the day (set myself a reminder) so I'm better able to keep up. Guess I'd better start wandering in here and mentioning exercise too...I absolutely LOVE my new phone. I'm going from an AT&T Tilt which I despised almost from the first day I got it, to an unlocked Nokia E71.

The only thing I really liked about the old phone was that it ran Windows Mobile and I have gobs of games on it that keep me occupied when I might otherwise be bored, but I can still use it for a game thingy without the sim card, so at least I didn't waste my money for the games. I promised my husband I wouldn't put any games on this phone (he gets a little bit aggravated at me when I whip out the phone and play games and sort of ignore him-oops) but I keep the Tilt in my purse for emergency boredom relief...they both have wireless, so I can surf on either when wireless is available, and on the Nokia when it's not. I'm much too much of a gadget freak. That's how I got all messed up with my computer, it wouldn't load the syncing program for the new phone. All better now though.

I'm going to go ahead and join a real gym (Nautilus) this week and start going on Monday. I have no upper body strength at all and need to remedy that. I'm jazzed (I think). We'll see.

I managed to run a little further this morning, about a quarter of a mile further. Won't make 3 miles by my birthday, but at least I'm running the whole way for my 2-2.25 miles. I'll get there eventually. This week so far I've hiked ~1.5 miles at the farm on Saturday, ran intervals on Monday, and yesterday and today ran 2.1 and 2.3 miles.

Well folks, I've rattled on quite enough. I'll do my best to pop by here at least every other day and report in. I'm going to head over to the results thread and post last week's info. See y'all later.

justcallmedorie
04-29-09, 04:26 PM
Here's (http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=929838%5Dhttp://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=929838) my workout for today. Somebody let me know if it worked. I can "get in" because I'm registered for the site, but I'd like to know if somebody who isn't can see my workout thingy...:)

I know I can try after logging out, but I don't know if it would be the same...

20trackedmind
04-29-09, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone. Just to let ya all know, I am the new 7th grade resource math teacher for the district:) It will be nice to actually have an income coming in. This single income family stuff is harder than it looks.

I have been slacking this week. Running all over town taking care of stuff and only made it to the park for a walk once. Maybe tomorrow...

Dorie, that is really cool.

justcallmedorie
04-29-09, 08:06 PM
Congratulations on the job!

Did you try the link and if you did, could you actually see the workout information? I keep getting some kind of error message, so I'm going to try it again...

Here, let's see if THIS (http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=929838) works.

novagal
04-29-09, 09:29 PM
You got the job! Congratulations!

Dorie, all I get is a log in page when I click on the link. Glad to hear your computer is doing better.

I'm noticing that I'm not having such a difficult time getting out to do my excercise in the mornings - this is a good sign!

justcallmedorie
04-30-09, 04:54 AM
You got the job! Congratulations!

Dorie, all I get is a log in page when I click on the link. Glad to hear your computer is doing better.

I'm noticing that I'm not having such a difficult time getting out to do my excercise in the mornings - this is a good sign!
Hmmm, well, it's still in Beta, so I guess they'll tweak it along the way. Seems strange that I have an option to post the URL in other places, yet the URL won't actually work.

Glad to hear that getting out in the mornings is getting easier. It's about the only guarantee I'll get any kind of exercising done, at least during the week.

I'm gulping down coffee, running the dog, and (YIKES!!!) going to my first session at the gym. I hope I've got everything I need (will be showering there before work) or it's liable to be a strange day if I've forgotten something important.:p

Will report back in later. Happy exercising, y'all.

justcallmedorie
04-30-09, 05:22 AM
Ok, if you go back to the last link, I think I've got it set so that particular workout is visible without having to sign in. I guess I'll have to post individual links on the days I run. Nobody even has to look, it's just cool that it's available!

Ok, now I'm REALLY heading out to run the dog...;)

novagal
04-30-09, 10:48 AM
Wow! That's really something - I can see exactly where you've run as well as the stats - now I know where "Almost Heaven" is! (so can everyone - are you comfortable with that? or am I just projecting my own paranoia here?)

Have fun at the gym!

justcallmedorie
04-30-09, 12:39 PM
Well, I thought about that myself. Did it show my real name? If not, then I'm not too worried. In real life, people know where and when I'm running anyhow. I DO have my 110+ lb dog running with me at that hour and he goes all Cujo on strangers who appear threatening. And I'm not actually showing where I live, just where I run. Hopefully it's no big deal.

Ooh, ooh, I made it to the gym. Can't wait 'til it's "old hat" for me. It was good to get back, I have been a member there in the past, just not in the last 2-3 years.

mADD mike
04-30-09, 08:54 PM
A new results thread has been posted here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=736626#post736626

justcallmedorie
05-01-09, 06:20 AM
Overslept, but will be heading to the gym in a few minutes where I'll do ~15 minutes on the stairmaster then work on lower body...Dog is NOT happy (oops).

novagal
05-05-09, 03:24 PM
ugh. Didn't have a great start to my week, and didn't get out there yesterday or today. But I still have time to make it happen this week......

justcallmedorie
05-05-09, 03:34 PM
Ok, I only had time Friday for 10 minutes of Stairmaster, then I did abs and lower body. Saturday was 4 hrs of more "extreme brush clearing", Sunday was being worn out from the brush clearing...

Yesterday we had torrential downpours so rather than go out and try to swim 2 miles-LOL, I left early for the gym and did 30 minutes on the Stairmaster, then worked on upper body weights. I forgot how much I enjoy that evil monster. Now I want to figure out how I can run and still leave early enough for the gym to be able to get in at LEAST 1/2 hr on the beast, get my weights in, shower and still get to work on time...I used to do 45 minutes on it every day (waaaay back when I was going to the gym on a regular basis...) Am I a sick puppy? And since I've been running (and lost quite a bit of weight) it's a piece of cake! I might have finally found my groove. And as long as I get 90% of my stuff together the night before, I seem to be able to leave in a relatively timely manner after running Max. Now if I would just forgo the last bit in the shower of turning the water to almost all hot and just marinating in the steam, I would be doing pretty well at getting to work on time, but gee-mi-ny, that hot water does feel good.

Oops, sorry, got side-tracked. Anyhow, this morning I ran Max for about 2.25 miles, did 10 minutes of stair climbing, then did abs and lower body. Hopefully the weather (which is NASTY again right at the moment) will give me a 30 minute window in the morning to run again. OMG, I'll be 5-0 on Friday, I want to be as good as I can be. My 40s sort of sucked in the taking care of myself department. You know the old saying - "if I'd known I'd live this long I would have taken waaaay better care of myself"...well, that's me. I wanted to be running 3 miles by then, but I'm pretty happy with being able to run 2.25-2.5 at the moment. I'll work my way to 3 and even more eventually. I'm still not doing too well in the food department, but am trying to do better. I really want to go back to low carb, but not sure how to manage that along with the running. I need to find an open minded nutritionist around here (good luck with THAT). Oh well. Gotta get back to work, see y'all later.

Happy exercising.

justcallmedorie
05-06-09, 06:54 PM
Yay! We got to run this morning. I got to the gym in time to do 10 minutes on the stairmonster then did upper body. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be good too. Tomorrow will be lower body plus however many minutes I can spare to climb stairs...

RosieB
05-06-09, 08:04 PM
Hey :-)

Nice to meet other get fit ADDers. I was very into running last year, did a couple of half marathons and some long trail runs. I really enjoy it, but I'm finding that it's starting to go the same way as many of the other activities I start - I'm get bored and unmotivated, and my running is tapering off. I can't stop because both my hubby and my two kids run, it's a real family activity, and I have a big black dog who needs the exercise. I need to be accountable!