View Full Version : ADHD easy-to-make RECIPES wanted!!

INaBOX
01-19-09, 09:18 PM
I noticed there's a lot of diet talk lately and couldn't help but recognize my slip-ups. Although we've been pretty good at elliminating our "trigger" foods, I haven't exactly been including enough protein in our diets. I hate cooking. That's the problem. I'm a lazy chef and have surrendered to a lot of pasta dishes this winter and I KNOW it's not helping us any.

Sooo, does anyone have any good ADHD-diet recipes to share?

I came across this recipe I want to try:

Spinach Soup
1lb baby spinach
2 cloves garlic
1 cup onion
1/4 cup celery
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups veg stock
1 cup rice milk
pinch of salt

combine ingredients

question: im concerned with the "veg stock". What can i use instead that is "safe"?

PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST! Keep it simple.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 09:40 PM
InABox, I just acquired a little hardly-used George Forman grill at my Goodwill (for 4.00 YAY), and I am LOVING it. I just have to remember to buy veggies at the store, and I can make things I would not usually eat. You can get pre-cut chicken breasts to just thaw and grill in just a few minutes, or pre-fabbed burgers (turkey and garden burgers too). I did slices of eggplant, onions (YUM), bell peppers beforehand in a little olive oil, very easy, simple, fast, and different. Totally doable. I hate recipes!

I also love simple lunches or alone dinners like a 1/3 can of refried beans, salsa, cheese, avacado, onions, and layer it in a little dish for myself with some chips.

Oh, for veg stock (why do you say is it safe?) could you use canned veggie water that you would just drain away? I do that and freeze it for later if I need to. Or, just use water or add a little bouillion to it for extra flavor.

INaBOX
01-19-09, 09:48 PM
i hate recipes too. ok. im not looking for recipes, per say. im looking for food ideas. for example at lunch, i was eating a lot of tuna/avocado salads (lots of pepper and sesame seeds and sometimes on toast) until i got so sick of it. then i started eating a lot of hummus with crackers. i just need new ideas. we dont eat enough fruits/vegetables. we use to. i'll need to dig out my crock pot again. i use to put all sorts of things in there that was healthy.

i dont have a george forman grill. i do have a grill though but it sucks. i find it takes forever for the chicken to grill!! im a one-pot kinda gal LOL whether it's my crock-pot or frying pan. luckily i dont use oil to fry with so it's relatively healthy.

Driver
01-19-09, 09:50 PM
question: im concerned with the "veg stock". What can i use instead that is "safe"?

Define safe? For me, I have a hard time with beef/chicken/veg stocks because I'm gluten-intolerant (hence, no wheat). A lot of the powdered stocks have wheat in the them. I have more luck with the cartons of liquid stock - but they're more expensive (but they don't require pre-making/mixing beforehand).

As for your recipes. My easies include: omelets and fritattas, spaghetti (I have a great family recipe that's been handed down - it's simple and great), tinned/jar pasta-bakes (I use tinned tuna, so you just cook pasta, mix, cover with cheese, bake for 15mins).

INaBOX
01-19-09, 09:57 PM
i forgot to mention .. i say "safe" because a lot of the broth mixes have preservatives/additives/msg/etc i was checking them out the other day.

pastas are high in carbs though. so isnt that a bad idea? that's basically what we've been eating .. and yes, with canned tuna or salmon too. we need more protein and less carbs .. lol sounds like im trying to lose weight!

Driver
01-19-09, 09:58 PM
luckily i dont use oil to fry with so it's relatively healthy.

Not all oil is bad, nor all fats. Canola oil is low in saturated fats, but high in monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats (Omega-3 is good for ADD'ers).

INaBOX
01-19-09, 10:00 PM
i understand. i actually use water. it's cheaper and there's plenty. :D
EDIT: I wonder if i can use the omega oils for cooking .. if it'll take away the nutrients.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 10:01 PM
Olive oil is very healthy too, I think kitchengourmet or whomever that place is has a spray bottle you can get that is suited for oil, and you can just spray a light coating of pure oil on your veggies and broil them in the oven. Like potatoes for home fries. Carbs, but yum. With onions. Yum. Check out the Mediterranean diet. It's highly recommended for heart health, and is probably good for ADHD too.

INaBOX
01-19-09, 10:03 PM
mediterranean diet .. absolutely. ive actually looked into that once. completely forgot all about it. my only problem is that my son wont eat raw veggies. the med diet consists of a lot of raw veggies, isnt it? i'll have to look it up.

thanks for the reminder.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 10:12 PM
I don't know THAT much about that diet, other than it emphasizes the veggies and the right kinds of oils. Any way you can all get them down is a good thing.

Another easy thing I do to get more fruit in me is to blend them in the morning for round one of breakfast. I blend some almond milk, canned pineapple, egg white powder for some extra protein, a banana, and some coconut and a pinch of salt ~ A pina coloda smoothie. I mix it all the night before and just cut in the banana and blend it in the morning, it's a light way to get going, good brain food, and drinking fruit for me is easier than eating it! LOL! When I drive, I just take it to go. I'm sure the same may be true for veggies and a juicer, but I haven't gone there yet.

INaBOX
01-19-09, 10:44 PM
i love the fruit smoothy idea. ive tried it with organic carrot juice and rice milk. the only problem with that is that my son won't drink it. :( picky picky he'll eat just about anything cooked though .. veggies and fruit. i used to cook apples and pears for that reason. i should start again.

what i should do is buy a bunch of veggies .. cut them up and freeze them. that way i dont have to worry about all the prep. i wish J would eat raw veggies though (sigh)

the other problem i have is that there's a lot of produce out there that i dont know how to cook .. or is too scared to try. i tend to stick to the basics: peppers, tomatos, spinach, bokchoy, peas, carrots, lettuce and mushrooms. i dont think ive ever boughten anything beyond that and id like to.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 10:54 PM
Wow, your usual's I've never tried at home - like bokchoy and mushrooms. Kudos, InABox! My usual cooked veggies are carrots and broccoli. My son eats fresh veggies if there is ranch with them, have you seen those little bags of snack carrots? Or he might like carrot slaw (grated carotts and dressing, maybe add some nuts or raisins). Celery and peanut butter? :-)

I'm not sure some fresh veggies freeze well though because of the high water content, you will have mush when you defrost. However, I think if you at least slightly cook them, they are better suited for freezing.

RobConcept
01-19-09, 11:06 PM
Hey InABox - I had a look through my recipe collection, and thought you might like these:

Smoked Salmon and Avacado Salad
Serves 4

200g (7oz) Smoked Salmon
1/2 Cucumber skinned and chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1 avacado, skinned and sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 package mixed salad leaves
lemon vinaigrette

Lemon Vinaigrette
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly groun black pepper

Whisk it together until its well combined. Before you serve it, make sure you shake or stir it.

Directions for recipe
1. Chop the salmon into bite sized pieces.
2. Toss the salmon with scallions and half of the lemon vinaigrette
3. Arrange avacado and Tomato slices on plates. Surround w/ lettuce leaves.
4. Drizzle over remaining Lemon Vinaigrette

Salad Nicoise
Serves 2

1/2 medium red onion
2 tomatoes
2 hardboiled eggs
large handful of green beans
225g (8oz) canned tuna
2 anchovy fillets
handful of black olives
4 tbsp light salad dressing

Directions for recipe
1. Top and tail beans, cut into 2 inches in length and steam until just tender
2. Cut tomatoes and eggs into bite sized chunks. Finely slice onion.
3. Build salad onto plate with all ingredients and drizzle with dressing. You can bulk the sald out with lettuce too.

Fruit Smoothies
Serves 1-2

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup milk
Fruit Mixture

Fruit Mixture
Banana and Strawberry
1 Small Banana
8 - 10 fresh strawberries

Apple and Pineapple
100g (3 1/2 oz) Crushed Pineapple
1 apple peeled, cored and roughly chopped

Tropical Delight
1/2 Mango - skinned, stoned and roughly chopped
1 small banana
1 orange
1/2 papaya, peeled and deseeded

Directions for Recipe
1. Put icecream and milk into food processor and add one of fruit mixtures
2. Process until smooth

Hope these help!

Rebs
01-19-09, 11:09 PM
Stock: If you're motivated and have the time, making up a big pot of stock (to freeze for later use) is VERY simple. And fairly ADD proof, too! When I do this (not that often, although I always intend to!) I reduce the stock for a long time, make it extra strong, and then it takes up less space in the freezer. I add water to it when I use it. (You're so right about the canned/boxed broths having lots of unwanted ingredients. There are a few available in the boxes that are 'safe' but, as someone mentioned, they're pricier!)

I've got a bunch of low carb cooking ideas, here are "just some"! =)

Anything you might serve over pasta can be made into a 'stew' and eaten on its own. Just add lots of big chunks of vegetables and/or meat. Mushrooms, squash (zucchini and summer squash are quick-cooking), eggplant, and celery are all very low on the glycemic index. I've heard tell that red radishes, if they're slow cooked for a long time, taste like red potatoes. I haven't tried this yet but plan on it soon!

Some good, quick 'stews' can include any/all of the above vegetables plus sliced smoked turkey sausage, shrimp, chunks of chicken or firm-fleshed fish, chunks of beef (use ground beef if you're not going to do a long-slow cook time).

"White" chili (using ground turkey or chicken) and white beans is really good!

If you have a slow cooker, those can be very handy and VERY conducive to low carb food prep.

Omelets, as Driver said, are good - and quick!

If you have more time, you can use cauliflower to sub for all sorts of carb foods (if you are not too sensitive to that cruciferous taste... it doesn't bother me but some can taste it). Do a google for "faux rice" and "faux mashed potatoes". I've made stir-fried "faux rice" with great success!

If you've not looked into it yet, Shirataki noodles have great potential and are VERY low carb. They don't quite sub perfectly for regular noodles but they're tasty in their own right!

You can make pizza with a 'crust' made out of ground beef or ground turkey.

Lasagna is pretty good if you use thin ribbons of zucchini and/or eggplant instead of the noodles (another one that takes more time, though!)

Rebs
01-19-09, 11:16 PM
I know this doesn't really fit with your original question about easy low carb cooking ideas, but since you're eating gluten-free, I thought I'd share this in case you'd not tried it! =)

Have you ever heard of the "One Minute Muffin"? These are pretty good - and definitely quick/easy. VERY low carb (the high fiber in the ground flax seed counter-balances the carbs). Just be sure to drink a lot of water if you make the "all flax seed" version, otherwise it has the opposite effect that you'd think!

In a coffee mug, combine until well mixed:
1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1/4 cup ground almond meal, or mixture of the two
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 - 3 packets of sugar free sweetener (to taste)
1 teaspoon oil or butter (I always skip this and it turns out fine)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Put in microwave for 1 minute. The 'muffin' will rise above the cup, then sink down. (might need to adjust time depending on how strong your microwave is)

Dump out onto plate or bowl. Slice, spread with butter or cream cheese. Very tasty, and there are lots of variations including savory ones.

The best part about this recipe (to me) is that you can mix up the dry ingredients into little resealable plastic bags and keep them on hand - just add egg and you're on your way to a nice treat.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 11:26 PM
Thanks Rebs, I like that one! Will try it.

Rebs
01-19-09, 11:29 PM
I think you'll like it! I think it's best when there's a mix of almond meal with the ground flax, but YMMV.

Let me know if you want recipes for all the other varieties, too! =)

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 11:32 PM
I forgot to add, that I also found a spanking brand new GTExpress machine on my last Goodwill run for $4.00 (YAY) and these would be great cooked up in there as well. You have other versions? I'd be interested. These would be a great protein/goodcarb breakfast part deaux! :-)

Driver
01-19-09, 11:37 PM
Olive oil is very healthy too, I think kitchengourmet or whomever that place is has a spray bottle you can get that is suited for oil, and you can just spray a light coating of pure oil on your veggies and broil them in the oven.

Just keep the spray-oils away from your Teflon cookware, unless you like shopping for new cookware.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 11:45 PM
I used to use spaghetti squash for a pasta replacement. It cooks up pretty well in the microwave when you poke it with a fork and just let it cook in there for a bit, till the rind is a bit soft. Let it cool, scoop out the "noodles" and it refrigerates well. Good just plain too with a little butter or Parmesan cheese.

Rebs
01-19-09, 11:49 PM
FrazzleDazzle, I confess, I had to look up what a GTE Express was. You'll have to let me know if those muffins work in it!

As for different versions.... once you get the main ingredients, the sky seems to be the limit!

For savory, instead of the cinnamon and sweetener, you add a tablespoon or so of parmesan cheese and a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Or you could add regular shredded cheese. Any fresh or dried herbs would go well, pepper, pinch of salt, etc.

Here's a chocolate one that also looks good (I haven't tried it, though!)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CRebecca%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CRebecca%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CRebecca%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> One Minute Molten Chocolate Flax Muffin

1 - 2 teaspoons butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
Sweetener of choice (one of those sugar-free coffee syrups would work here, or else 1 - 3 packets of sweetener)

1 square of Lindt or other good quality 85% Dark Chocolate

Melt the butter or CO in a large oversize mug in the microwave (about 20 seconds.) Add the 1/4 cup flaxseed meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1 Tbsp cocoa powder and mix well. Add the egg and sweetener and mix again. Float the 1 square of the dark chocolate in the middle of the batter. Microwave for about 1 minute-the top should look slightly wet and not be dried out. Turn out onto serving plate, serve with cream cheese or whipped cream.

FrazzleDazzle
01-19-09, 11:52 PM
You got me, Rebs, with the chocolate! THANK YOU!!!!!! :-)

INaBOX
01-20-09, 12:02 AM
Wow, your usual's I've never tried at home - like bokchoy and mushrooms. Kudos, InABox! My usual cooked veggies are carrots and broccoli. My son eats fresh veggies if there is ranch with them, have you seen those little bags of snack carrots? Or he might like carrot slaw (grated carotts and dressing, maybe add some nuts or raisins). Celery and peanut butter? :-)

I'm not sure some fresh veggies freeze well though because of the high water content, you will have mush when you defrost. However, I think if you at least slightly cook them, they are better suited for freezing.

i use to cook bokchoy and/or spinach all the time. i was big on stir-frys .. id add apples, peas, grated carrots, raisins and juice for added flavor .. and eat it over wild rice. yum! j doesnt like raisins though and peanut butter is not aloud at school. why i dont buy it for home, i dont know lol almond butter is really good too .. or some of the other seed butters :)

sorry .. i have to reply seperately, since we're onto page 2 :)

INaBOX
01-20-09, 12:06 AM
Smoked Salmon and Avacado Salad
Serves 4

200g (7oz) Smoked Salmon
1/2 Cucumber skinned and chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1 avacado, skinned and sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 package mixed salad leaves
lemon vinaigrette

what are scallions?! :S you sound like a chef. i could use you around here any day lol

Salad Nicoise
Serves 2

1/2 medium red onion
2 tomatoes
2 hardboiled eggs
large handful of green beans
225g (8oz) canned tuna
2 anchovy fillets
handful of black olives
4 tbsp light salad dressing

Directions for recipe
1. Top and tail beans, cut into 2 inches in length and steam until just tender
2. Cut tomatoes and eggs into bite sized chunks. Finely slice onion.
3. Build salad onto plate with all ingredients and drizzle with dressing. You can bulk the sald out with lettuce too.

This one sounds good. Top and tail beans? What does that mean? im pretty dumb in the kitchen :D

INaBOX
01-20-09, 12:10 AM
Just add lots of big chunks of vegetables and/or meat. Mushrooms, squash (zucchini and summer squash are quick-cooking), eggplant, and celery are all very low on the glycemic index. I've heard tell that red radishes, if they're slow cooked for a long time, taste like red potatoes. I haven't tried this yet but plan on it soon!

If you've not looked into it yet, Shirataki noodles have great potential and are VERY low carb.

Squash, radishes, turnips and the like are the veg I'm scared to try. lol I love squash! but I dont know how to slice it, let alone cook it. Shirataki noodles .. i'll have to look that one up. Japanese?

INaBOX
01-20-09, 12:13 AM
Have you ever heard of the "One Minute Muffin"?
In a coffee mug, combine until well mixed:
1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1/4 cup ground almond meal, or mixture of the two
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 - 3 packets of sugar free sweetener (to taste)
1 teaspoon oil or butter (I always skip this and it turns out fine)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Put in microwave for 1 minute. The 'muffin' will rise above the cup, then sink down. (might need to adjust time depending on how strong your microwave is)

Dump out onto plate or bowl. Slice, spread with butter or cream cheese. Very tasty, and there are lots of variations including savory ones.

The best part about this recipe (to me) is that you can mix up the dry ingredients into little resealable plastic bags and keep them on hand - just add egg and you're on your way to a nice treat.

This is actually a great idea. We started buying organic muffin mix and made bread loaves out of them for breakfast.

What is almond "meal"? I noticed you can use different flavoured "meal" that you've mentioned. I'd like to try this one.

INaBOX
01-20-09, 12:14 AM
FrazzleDazzle, I confess, I had to look up what a GTE Express was. You'll have to let me know if those muffins work in it!

I'll have to look it up too because i have no idea what it is lol

RobConcept
01-20-09, 01:21 AM
what are scallions?! :S you sound like a chef. i could use you around here any day lol
They're known by a bunch of names: Spring Onions and Green Onions are probably the most common

This one sounds good. Top and tail beans? What does that mean? im pretty dumb in the kitchen :D
Top and tailing is just trim off the ends - in this case, it means just trim the ends off the beans. Honestly, it all comes from practice, reading cookbooks and if all else fails asking.

Good luck!

DesertDave
01-20-09, 01:43 AM
I do veggies on my little grill thing. It's not a Foreman but it's the same concept.

Just a little spray oil (you can get olive oil spray) and a sprinkle of some all-purpose seasoning and a couple of minutes does it. Assuming they're sliced, that is. You couldn't bake a potato in there, I don't think.

It might not work too well if you like your veggies well-done. I don't. I want them firm. In fact I prefer broccoli raw or barely cooked.

SB_UK
01-20-09, 02:01 AM
we've started burning wood from our garden (for heat) in a wood burner -
- and have started throwing jacket potatoes into the burner -

food without needing to cook -
and
heat on our own terms (from our back garden).

Seriously though -
how dull is gas, electricity

- fire on the other hand
:-)

the kids have a tent permanently erected - for when it gets too cold (in our front room) -
throw in the wood burner -
and
'Dayvan cowboy'

a wireless network and one of those free wonderful flash game websites like
http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/

and we're outdoors indoors

- camping

-*-

fun

-*-

The kids favourite toys are the wind up torches also -
:-)
- and have one each.

Not as if toy companies have anything on offer for the lil' guys
after all
- coloured plastic with misleading packaging is cheap to make -
but

-*-

fun ?

~boots~
01-20-09, 06:46 AM
my fave dish..everyone thinks I spend ages making it

1 large baking/microwave dish
1 600mm whipping cream
1 packet cheap home brand french onion soup
Potatoes to fill the pot

Mix cream and soup mix
slice potatoes fairly thinly and add to mix, stir..

Cook in microwave for about 25 minutes or until soft
or bake in oven for an hour or so..

simple, 3 ingredients...yummo too :)

Driver
01-20-09, 06:48 AM
Another quicky is pizza. If you can buy the bases pre-made then you're home & hosed. Just add toppings and bake.

stef
01-20-09, 07:14 AM
I had this last night: a mix of quinoa & bulgar wheat with zucchini (the zucchini was pre-cut frozen, just heated it up in the microwave) - and tomato pesto sauce (it's called pesto rosso).
- probably the healthiest meal I've made since november; after reading some of the threads about diet I figured I really have to do something.
if even half my meals were like this, that's better than nothing, right? ...

Rebs
01-20-09, 07:34 AM
Squash, radishes, turnips and the like are the veg I'm scared to try. lol I love squash! but I dont know how to slice it, let alone cook it. Shirataki noodles .. i'll have to look that one up. Japanese?

How about summer squash, like zucchini or yellow squash? That has a soft skin and you just slice and go. The seeds are edible (like a cucumber).

Here's some info on Shirataki. I am not sure if it's available near you - I live in a fairly rural area and was surprised to find it a local grocer. They are kind of 'rubbery' in texture, which is okay if you're expecting it. And, if you don't pre-boil them for a few minutes then they have a slight 'fish' odor. It totally goes away, though, with that short time in simmering water!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

This is actually a great idea. We started buying organic muffin mix and made bread loaves out of them for breakfast.

What is almond "meal"? I noticed you can use different flavoured "meal" that you've mentioned. I'd like to try this one.

So are you able to find gluten free organic muffin mix? Does it taste okay? I can't seem to find mixes that are low carb... anything gluten free usually has sugar, rice flower, or something with carbs. Now that the low-carb "craze" has died down, there's nothing out there anymore!

Almond meal, or almond flour, is just ground almonds. You can make it on your own (put whole almonds in a food processor and run until they're ground up) but it's hard to keep it from becoming almond paste or butter! The ground flax seed meal I can find in my area, but the packaged almond meal I have to drive closer to a city.

The basic recipe for those 'muffins' is the same - 1/4 of the ground flax or the ground almonds, 1/2 teaspoon of the baking powder, and 1 teaspoon oil or butter (which I always omit). Anything after the different flavors are whatever you want to add.

FrazzleDazzle
01-24-09, 07:08 PM
Hey Rebs, I wanted to let you know I tried the mug muffin recipe you posted (not the chocolate one yet) and it was not only very yummy, but I found out that flax, since it is not a grain but a seed, is high in protein and low carb! I made a double recipe and used my GTExpress, and they came out fine and fluffy! It's a great muffin for my being wheat-free! Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

smerila_6
01-24-09, 07:20 PM
We did a special diet for my stepson and it did not do anything. Except having him eat some gross foods. I went to a seminar on ADD/ADHD and they said that is a myth.

This is our experience. We tried no gluten, no wheat, no sugar, no dairy, you name it we tried it.

Good luck

We finally gave in and took him in and he got adderall xr and is thriving wonderfully.

smerila

INaBOX
01-24-09, 08:39 PM
We did a special diet for my stepson and it did not do anything. Except having him eat some gross foods. I went to a seminar on ADD/ADHD and they said that is a myth.

This is our experience. We tried no gluten, no wheat, no sugar, no dairy, you name it we tried it.

Good luck

We finally gave in and took him in and he got adderall xr and is thriving wonderfully.

smerila

i dont think i agree with you (or them). your son just doesn't have food sensitivities, that's all. in our house, we have to be careful of what we eat. i just found out yesterday that dairy and citrus fruits contributes to his bed-wetting. i've always suspected it was something he was eating but im going to take it out of his diet and see if i notice any difference.

i've been to several ADD/ADHD seminars/workshops as well and diet is always discussed. sounds like the people who ran your seminar made more of a subjective viewpoint, rather than stating the facts.

FrazzleDazzle
01-25-09, 10:09 AM
Duplicate post- sorry!

Rebs
01-25-09, 10:16 AM
Okay.... I am SO embarrassed.... it really was me (Rebs) who posted that... the other day I could not access the forums using my usual screen name - no idea why - so I ended up signing up with a different screen name. Then I forgot I did it, was logged in under the new one, and posted as if it was me. I didn't even realize I did it until I got the email notifcation of a new response to the thread - my response, but the other screen name. Argh!

I am really hoping I didn't do anything 'illegal' here (some forums have rules about having more than one 'persona')... darn this ADD!!!!

Anyway, FrazzleDazzle, I'm really glad these recipes were useful for you. I think it does still work as ADD friendly, because (so far at least) these recipes are pretty easy and ADHD proof! Can't beat the bonus that many ADDers find the low carb/high protein to be helpful. =)

(off to go wait until my red face subsides a bit!!)

FrazzleDazzle
01-25-09, 10:19 AM
Here's another gluten free, high protein recipe that I just found... looks like it might be pretty close to "real bread".

The website where I found it might be a good resource for those who want high protein, low carb, and/or gluten free.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Simple Bread
2 cups blanched almond flour
teaspoon celtic sea salt
teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1 tablespoon agave nectar
teaspoon apple cider vinegarhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=elanaspantryc-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000P3HF9G

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add agave and vinegar
Stir wet ingredients into dry
Scoop batter into a small (approx. 6 x 3 inch) well greased loaf pan
Bake at 300 for 45-55 minutes on bottom rack of oven; until a knife comes out clean
Cool and serve

Thanks so much, Rebs!

I have found this thread (thank you InABox for starting it) even though it's strayed a bit from easy ADHD-friendly recipes to a broad range of healthy recipes, it's been really inspiring to me to look at some of the low carb (protein and fiber laden) bready things. I had NO idea of this stuff. And ummmm, by the way, the fiber in the flax seed mug muffin is gReAt. Ahem. I did make up some chocolate ones for later, minus the chunk as I didn't have any, but I used some chocolate syrup instead. I stole a bite, and I think it needs the oil I left out, and a bit sweeter than what I made. But, it will be a yummy brekky when I get to it! :-)

Off to look at the site you posted!

FrazzleDazzle
01-25-09, 05:35 PM
Okay, Rebs is officially a rock star! I made that bread today, and it is very easy, and very yummy. Also filling. (burphhhh)

I just made another favorite easy recipe to share

Homestyle Hamburger Helper

Brown in skillet:
3/4 lb. ground beef (or mix beef/sausage)
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Add:
1 T finely chopped onion
1 rib chopped celery
2/3 Cup fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped

Add 1 cup cooked noodles

Top with 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded cheese
OR 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Simmer uncovered 15 minutes to blend flavors and serve from skillet

As was suggested earlier, I made this today again, but used slightly cooked cauliflower instead of noodles and it came out fine.

INaBOX
01-25-09, 06:05 PM
I have found this thread (thank you InABox for starting it) even though it's strayed a bit from easy ADHD-friendly recipes to a broad range of healthy recipes,

actually no, the variety in here is great. i've been reading but i have to go out and buy some of the ingredients .. like the ground flax seeds, rice flour, etc..

LostInTheStars
01-28-09, 02:33 PM
I am loving this thread! Thanks to everyone for your contributions. They will be used! :)

I had this last night: a mix of quinoa & bulgar wheat with zucchini (the zucchini was pre-cut frozen, just heated it up in the microwave) - and tomato pesto sauce (it's called pesto rosso).

I have actually just started using quinoa in some recipes, and it is great! I usually just use it instead of rice.

My husband and I went to a Mediterranian Restaurant and they had it. We liked it so much that I bought it for at home.

I would love to put zucchini in it. My husband is getting more adventurous with veggies, but not that far yet!! :p

Rebs
01-29-09, 07:38 PM
Does quinoa take a long time to cook? Or is it soak, or rinse or something? I recall (I think???) purchasing this and trying it but not being able to take the long process needed to prepare it. =)

Couscous, now, that's another story!! Boil water, add couscous, cover pot/turn off heat, 5 minutes - done! Fairly ADD proof, too. Of course, now that we mostly have to eat low carb I don't do this so often anymore. =(

LostInTheStars, do you think your husband would like it if you used grated zucchini mixed in with your quinoa or other grains? I've made hash browns and 'pancakes' out of grated zucchini and it almost tastes like potatoes. Nice, especially around Chanukah time... 'fake' latkes! =)

Johnny123
02-01-09, 11:50 PM
I cook lots of things i just gotta be in the kitchen while doing it because if i leave i usually forget. and cleaning up is also horrible becuase theres mum sitting there screaming i missed a spot.

sparkles
02-21-09, 01:59 AM
For people that already do a lot of cooking the best easy microwave natural brownie recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/microwave-brownies-recipe/index.html
Ingredients

<!--concordance-begin-->

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 large eggs
1 cup sugarhttp://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1450/Ocellus.coupons.com/_images/showlist_icon.gif
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon bakinghttp://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1450/Ocellus.coupons.com/_images/showlist_icon.gif powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips
Nonstick cooking spray

<!--concordance-end--> Directions

Put the butter and chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
In a large bowl sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the egg and chocolate mixtures along with the vanilla and stir well to combine.
Spray an 8 by 8 by-2-inch microwave safe glass pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan, spread it out evenly, and scatter the chocolate chunks on top. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes before cutting and eating.

etips
05-06-10, 02:04 AM
Check out these easy to make recipes:

Southwestern Nachos (http://bit.ly/bGJ9GI)

Family Fish Recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_6040969_bake-cod.html)

Creamy Herb Chicken (http://www.ehow.com/how_6244913_make-creamy-herb-chicken.html)

I love making these recipes for my family. They are easy to make and delicious to eat.

EshkaronsEngine
05-06-10, 02:22 AM
1 frozen banana
dozen strawberries
1 avocado
=yum yum

etips
05-06-10, 06:49 PM
Easy to make recipes for the family to enjoy is what I love the most about cooking. These are some really easy recipes to make for your entire family.
I really enjoy these recipes. The chef has a few others on his profile

EshkaronsEngine
05-07-10, 12:12 AM
Scrambled eggs:
Put heat on 5 1/2
Put pan on heater
Add butter(w8 till it melts)
Break 4-5 eggs
W8 till they congeal
Turn off heat
Start frantically with the flipper
Done.