View Full Version : Birding

Johnnny
01-20-09, 11:35 AM
Anyone else here into birding?

For me its something to do for when i wake up at 7 and for when everyone i know everyone i know is still sleeping in till 1 or 2 in the afternoon...

It wasn't as hard as i thought just buy some seed bells, and a good field book and away you go...

I dont sit there and wait for hours on end for that rare one to come by, instead ill eat my breakfast and stare out at the seed bells, and catalog what i see while im seated for that 30 minutes...

The best times i have noticed to see birds is in the morning, but if you are consistent you can easily learn the feeding schedule of these wild critters..

Some visitors ive had recently, this winter:

Black chap chikadees
Boreal Chikadees
Song sparrows, and few others
Blue Jay
Common Raven
Gray Jays
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Wood Peckers

I Find it beats sitting around in the morning watching youtube and puttering around on the computer , and i cant read every morning :)

EYEFORGOT
01-20-09, 11:52 AM
Good to see this hobby is alive and still enjoyed. My Mom used to love doing this. Now she's so busy on her farm the birds she pays most attention to are the chickens she intends to eat.

I love chikadees, I always looked forward to hearing them in the morning.

pADDyjay
01-20-09, 12:11 PM
:)there's a great bird sanctuary near me thats always busy...Joppa Flatts over on Plum Island in Newberryport:) I always bring my binoc. when I go walking at the shore...course my therapist is there to...:)

oh oh I got 2 birds with one stone:)

DaveHawk
02-14-09, 12:34 PM
I do birding for Wild Turkeys, Doves , geese LOL But seriously I enjoy the encounters of allot of birds while sitting in a tree stand.