View Full Version : Is anyone using SPEECH stuff on their MAC ??

QueensU_girl
01-24-09, 03:38 PM
ADDers can speak faster (120-160 wpm) than we can handwrite (20 wpm) or even type (20-80 wpm).

Considering our working memory issues, it makes sense to DICTATE written material.

Is anyone using SPEECH programs or software on their MACs?

I'm having a hard time trouble shooting this stuff.

It doesn't want to type words when I speak them....

ADHDTigger
01-24-09, 04:32 PM
I don't currently as the audience I write to is technical and many of the voice programs don't manage the jargon well.

It seems to me that there is a version of Via Voice for the Mac. If you live anywhere near an Apple store you might want to check out the genius bar for a recommendation for the hardware you are running.

I believe that background noise can factor how well the program will "hear" you and many of them have sensitivity settings. There is also quite a learning curve (for the software) until it begins to recognize what you are saying.

My MacBook has a microphone built into the base. It is fine for Skype and whatnot but I don't get good results when doing podcasts. I need a second mic for clarity. If you are using an integrated mic, that could be part of the problem.

QueensU_girl
01-24-09, 05:29 PM
Tigger:

I have a MacBook. My setup is that it is USB'd to a Monitor and wireless Keyboard/Mouse.

My microphone headset is a Logitech with the _iMic_adaptor thingy.

I have the 'listening' set not on 'continuous', but rather on 'intermittent' (hit ESC key while talking idea).

I seem to be calibrated alright.

ADHDTigger
01-24-09, 05:56 PM
You have me stumped then. I don't see anything that should be a problem. Maybe your best bet is the genius bar. Or possibly one of the Mac forums?

What software are you using?

I wish I could use a voice system when I write. I tried using it on a Windows platform, last time was probably back in the XP days. I haven't explored it on the Mac, mostly because of all the fixing I had to do. It's just easier to type an article. I've been thinking of trying my hand at writing a book and using speech software would definitely be the right thing for that. I tend to be a "trip over my hands" typist.

Oh- MacBook Pro here. I love this thing!

magiix
01-26-09, 02:06 PM
I don't use dictation.. I find that in the time it takes me to type, i can often start to think about the next part of what i'm writing... the delay from my brain to the computer seems to work for me, at least in most cases. A teacher of mine a few years back had a similar feeling towards writing on paper, he liked to write everything out by hand because it gave him enough time to think about what he was going to write next, or how he was going to word it. I second the fact that voice diction software still has a long ways to go, i doubt most software could keep up with the speed you might speak. I know in the past friends of mine who tried dictation software reported having to speak extra slow so that the computer can analyze what they are saying. -- That was quite some time ago, maybe things are better now.

On another note... I use "speech stuff"... I'm too ADD to read long texts sometimes, so I have the new voice in Leopard to read me texts ALLL the time. - probably not as fast as reading sometimes, but when its harder to pay attention, it helps.