View Full Version : Risperidone, anyone?

INaBOX
01-24-09, 08:55 PM
I just want to hear your experience with this medication. If you can tell us what you/your child's diagnoses is and why you're taking it .. and if you're seeing positive or negative benefits?

INaBOX
01-26-09, 09:00 PM
so since j's psychiatrist said i can give him an extra pill "if need be", i was wondering how long it takes before i'll see any changes in behaviour? so far, it doesn't look like he's on anything and right now he's on .25 risperidone. should i up to .50 (as suggested) or should i wait for a certain amount of time first?

MGDAD
01-27-09, 02:43 PM
My childrens doctor always has us try very small doses for a week, before upping the dose. During that first week you should watch for undesirable side affects. Especially twitches or involuntary movements for Respiradone.

For my daughter, it reduced the intensity of her rage episodes.

INaBOX
01-27-09, 11:42 PM
My childrens doctor always has us try very small doses for a week, before upping the dose. During that first week you should watch for undesirable side affects. Especially twitches or involuntary movements for Respiradone.

For my daughter, it reduced the intensity of her rage episodes.

well he picked up twitches/tics from the biphentin he was taking. it hasnt stopped, despite him being off it for 2 days. gawd, i hope risperidone isn't going to make it worse.

i gave him the .50 (up from the .25) and I noticed a fair bit of difference .. so far. i was told i could do that if i felt i needed to (so i did).

QueensU_girl
01-28-09, 12:23 AM
I would expect it to make ADD worse, as it lowers dopamine in the brain. But it is used for psychosis, so obviously the child it is prescribed to needs control of that, before ADD treatment is considered.

It is used for things other than psychosis too. e.g. severe anxiety.

Child psychiatry is a really difficult field, I understand as diagnosis is quite unclear in young ones.

speedo
01-28-09, 06:38 AM
Risperidone (risperdal) is listed as a third line medication for ADHD. It is a good medication for improving impulse control. It can, and sometimes is, prescribed for ADHD.

Me :D

INaBOX
01-28-09, 08:46 PM
Risperidone (risperdal) is listed as a third line medication for ADHD. It is a good medication for improving impulse control. It can, and sometimes is, prescribed for ADHD.

Me :D

ADHD.. as in the sense of the impulse and hyperactivity only? Do I need to be concerned over his focus/attention without his stims? He's now off Biphentin. I'd have to say, these last 2-3 days have been a lot calmer, considering he was having an "off" week just prior. This morning was a bit rough though. He woke up from wetting his bed and I guess his wet underwear gave him a bit of a rash on his hip. He practically acted like he broke a leg. He was basically hyperfocussing on it and wouldn't let it go .. getting ready for school was tough. By the time we made it outdoors, he was fine. Afterschool, he was calm but in disagreeance to everything I had to say. I was either wrong, mistaken, or unsure .. when I wasn't. (I HATE that)

For the record, I finally decided to cut his hair but guess what? He's still "flicking" his hair. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS HAIR people!!

INaBOX
01-28-09, 09:09 PM
Here's another question:
Say my son doesn't need risperidone, what would the signs be if the brain was too low in dopamine (from the med)?

Optimistic
02-05-09, 11:01 AM
To answer you original question, my 9yr old ADHD son couldn't tolelrate stimulents due to his anxiety. He's beent taking Risperidone for almost a year as it makes him positive with less outburst.

In fact only last month we trialled a new medication so took him of Risperidone for 4 days - they were horrendous. He was agressive, wanted to die etc so he's straight back on it again. It does make him hungry and keeping his weight at a sensible level is hard work as I'm sure he eats impulsively anyway but I have to accept that, at the moment, he/we can't cope without it.

INaBOX
02-05-09, 09:19 PM
I spoke to his teacher today to see how he's been in the last two weeks. She said last week was really challenging, she almost called me. This week however, he's been doing quite well. He was in a couple of situations that surprised her (in a positive way) in how he handled a specific situation. Socially, he seems to be interacting well with the other children. His focus isn't all that great but he's getting his work done.

We have an appointment tomorrow with the psych so we'll see what she has to say.

alyshaf
10-01-09, 02:46 AM
my nefew is currently taking it dont know about other people taking it but it works miracles for him he has opositional defiant disorder as well as ADHD
he used to have these horrible outburst of rage i mean asking him to take out the trash turned into throwing the nearest thing he can, holes in my wall, broke the bunkbed with a bat, cardboard over the windows so when he went into eposide it didnt break. he was failing 2nd grade grade didnt think he was gonna pass,been suspended, and numorous detentions,had to call cops to come find him when he decided to ditch school in 2nd grade!!! u would think he was being a rebelious teenager but was only going on 8 and since he has started taking it he barely passed 2nd grade but is now in 4th grade and doing fine no more "episodes" hes not zombie-ish, sluggish, or dayzed like i hear other ADHD meds can make u just spaced out. he wants to play football & baseball this year in school. every now & then he will have an episode but hey i can live with that.

However i should say was doing fine because at first they were just giving him rispiderone but now they are making him take 2 different pills am in the process of trying to find him a new doctor because i dont wanna give him this new pill because his old meds were working just fine but she decrease the respiderone and gave him another pill thats suppose to stop the occasional "episode" and he is slowly becoming like he was before with all the rage & anger and school year just started and is failing every subject i hope i get this med thing fixed so he dont fail..anyways i am pleased with respiderone its when they start throwing other stuff in there that u gotta start to worry

Trooper Keith
10-01-09, 03:47 AM
Risperidone was the single best antipsychotic I've been on. Unfortunately it elevated my prolactin levels and caused a gynecomastia, which forced me to discontinue it.

Edit: I was taking it to stabilize my mood and control suicidality and mania associated with bipolar disorder.

Lunacie
12-09-09, 11:08 AM
This thread is very reassuring to me. We finally decided to talk to our family doctor about my granddaughter's extreme anxiety. The doctor first suggested meds for ADHD as they have helped her big sister a good deal, but her mom explained that the issues with this one are very different, so the doctor prescribed Risperidone. The folks on another forum I visit were quite concerned with using an anti-psychotic to treat anxiety, and mentioned some of the possible side effects. I'm so glad to hear that other little ones (ours just turned 8 years old) with anxiety and frustration and rages have been helped with this medication, with very few side effects.

Now we just have to be patient and give the medication some time to work eh? Today was the first small dose.

Terry D'Angelo
05-06-10, 01:12 PM
WOW -- my 10 year old son is on Adderall - 15 mg.... seems with school he has had problems with social and coping skiils... would have meltdowns at school at the simplest of things -- being in grade 5 - his peers are looking at him strangely! he is a kind, loving, gentle and innocent boy. As his mother it is obviously tough to see this. He was diagnosed in 2006 with ADHD. We have been matched up with an ADHD clinic connected to a Children's Hospital. Great facility and help. Our Pediatrician has also recommended small doses of risperdol (sp?)... so I researched it and it freaked me out... but the more I read on this site it seems to be helping many of your kids. Going to try this weekend for the first time.... small dose in the morning and a small dose at dinner.... very nervous about this. Keep you posted.

Lunacie
05-06-10, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it freaked me out when I read about Risperidone, but we're happy with our family doc who prescribed it, so I took a deep breath and decided to see what happened. It took a little while of fiddling with the dosage, but most of the anxiety is gone and our little girl is showing a sense of humor at last.

In therapy a couple of weeks ago, the therapist was asking her questions like how had her week been, had she done anything interesting at school, and she was giving him one word answers. He stopped and explained to her that he wanted a better answer, at least three words. So she repeated the same word three times! :p Her mom and I cracked up.

She went through a stage a month or so ago where she was using the F-bomb quite a bit. We talked to her about how that's not appropriate at home or at school, and she eventually stopped using it. Then one day she got really frustrated and angry with her mom and told her, "I'm so angry I wish I could use the F word!" Her mom had to laugh.

The best part of her not being so anxious is that she's able to express things to us this way more often. I know when I get anxious I don't want to have to talk to anybody either. So I'm giving a thumbs-up to Risperidone. :)

Terry D'Angelo
05-06-10, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply...... after reading some other sites I am also starting to think if it might be the Adderall..... I was reading pages that talked about Vyvanse versus Adderall.... here in Canada Vyvanse was just approved for distribution in February 2010... so I am checking with my insurance company to see if they will cover it..... From what I am reading I seem to see a pattern that may be confused with mild ODD.... he does not have raging outburts - he talks back to us and gives his younger brother a hard time - but is that not every 10 year old boy? - the issue seems to be relating with his peers -- so risperdal may help those issues - and it may be because of the side effects of Adderall.... interesting! We go back at the end of the school year - June 28 - for a follow up - I will have an answer from the insurance company by that time...maybe we will change to Vyvanse for the summer.... again thanks for the feedback....

Werl
06-29-10, 10:58 PM
I took Risperdal for several years (way too long ago for me to remember). I just found an old bottle (dated "05-Apr-05").

The only thing I remember is that I gained a fair amount of weight.

Song of Mercy
06-29-10, 11:28 PM
To answer you original question, my 9yr old ADHD son couldn't tolelrate stimulents due to his anxiety. He's beent taking Risperidone for almost a year as it makes him positive with less outburst.

In fact only last month we trialled a new medication so took him of Risperidone for 4 days - they were horrendous. He was agressive, wanted to die etc so he's straight back on it again. It does make him hungry and keeping his weight at a sensible level is hard work as I'm sure he eats impulsively anyway but I have to accept that, at the moment, he/we can't cope without it.

I was told by a pdoc that risperidone also causes weight gain by the metabolic changes it produces. I do not remember exactly what she said as it was 7ish years ago, but I think it was something about the way the body stores or metabolizes fat. So, as to weight, my understanding is that even without an increase in calories this med causes weight gain....

Just an aside...if it does its job, eating healthier is a small price to pay.

Lunacie
06-30-10, 05:54 PM
I was told by a pdoc that risperidone also causes weight gain by the metabolic changes it produces. I do not remember exactly what she said as it was 7ish years ago, but I think it was something about the way the body stores or metabolizes fat. So, as to weight, my understanding is that even without an increase in calories this med causes weight gain....

Just an aside...if it does its job, eating healthier is a small price to pay.

I didn't know this about Risperidone. My 8 year old granddaughter has been taking it for about 6-7 months. Size-wise she's right about where her sister was at her age, about where her mother was at her age. She goes through the normal stages of not eating and eating all the freaking time.

She's also getting ready to start having periods - we start at about age 9 in my family. I've read that one reason girls are starting younger in this country is that we eat more, so weight can make a difference it seems. Although none of us were overweight before the age of 9, so who knows for sure.

Spikey 723
10-25-10, 12:54 PM
I'm an adult - being treated for ADD. I've been on Risperidone to tackle impulsivity for a couple of years - and it's really helped me.

The only problem I had was an increase in my restlessness behaviour. However I was prescribed Procyclidine to combat that - and the combination worked.

I am now on Ritalin for the ADD, but still take Risperidone for the impulsivity. I'm very happy with the way they work.

michele223
03-03-11, 02:58 PM
My son is on risperdal and intuniv and prozac. He has severe adhd w impulse, tics, and compulsions and rage. just don't see any of these meds addressing the impulse well enough. Yesterday he ran away from me and went into the woods dressed in shorts and t shirt. He just scares me. We tried to up the intuniv to 4 mg but he was too sleepy at school. We have upped the risperdal to 4 mg daily for rage and the prozac is at 10 mg for ocd. What else could we try for adhd when he can't tolerate stimulants?

Lunacie
03-03-11, 05:44 PM
My son is on risperdal and intuniv and prozac. He has severe adhd w impulse, tics, and compulsions and rage. just don't see any of these meds addressing the impulse well enough. Yesterday he ran away from me and went into the woods dressed in shorts and t shirt. He just scares me. We tried to up the intuniv to 4 mg but he was too sleepy at school. We have upped the risperdal to 4 mg daily for rage and the prozac is at 10 mg for ocd. What else could we try for adhd when he can't tolerate stimulants?

Bumped an old thread, eh?

Have you tried Omega 3 (fish oil)? It really helps some ADHDers, like me, but not everyone of course. It not only helps with connections in the brain, it often helps with mood balancing. There are actually studies that have been done on using Omega 3 for ADHD, I remember one out of Australia.

daveddd
03-03-11, 05:48 PM
I didn't know this about Risperidone. My 8 year old granddaughter has been taking it for about 6-7 months. Size-wise she's right about where her sister was at her age, about where her mother was at her age. She goes through the normal stages of not eating and eating all the freaking time.

She's also getting ready to start having periods - we start at about age 9 in my family. I've read that one reason girls are starting younger in this country is that we eat more, so weight can make a difference it seems. Although none of us were overweight before the age of 9, so who knows for sure.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21186965

Werl
03-03-11, 06:42 PM
Welbutin is a nonstimulent ADHD med.

michele223
03-04-11, 01:09 AM
I thought about wellbutrin or buspar but neurologist seemed to think it wouldn't make a dent in his adhd. We have used omega 3's. He does have tics also so I have to watch for that. Ever wonder if there are days the meds don't work or are placebo? He seemed ok today!

Lunacie
03-04-11, 10:31 AM
I thought about wellbutrin or buspar but neurologist seemed to think it wouldn't make a dent in his adhd. We have used omega 3's. He does have tics also so I have to watch for that. Ever wonder if there are days the meds don't work or are placebo? He seemed ok today!

That's something I read about all the time here and in books. Some days the meds work like magic, and some days they don't seem to work at all. It may depend on how well we sleep the night before, or whether we're getting sick, or if our hormones are fluctuating, or if our allergies have us on overload, or how much stress we're dealing with . . .

michele223
03-12-11, 10:36 PM
My son fixates on privates and has done that for awhile with gestures and words. He has some tics so may be from that copropraxia compulsions from aspergers but he is stuck on bad stuff. So last week I told his MRDD SSA in a email that he touched my 4 yr olds butt and licked his finger, this is a few days after he ran away to the woods and cussed at school and she hadn't returned my phone calls or neither had his dr's, and before I raised his tenex meds. So she turned us into DCS. I mean I told her and have been telling her and the Dr's all along he has this sexual fixation. He sees a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Now they came out to interview us. I have been telling his Dr's for 4 years he is stuck on inappropriate stuff and now we are in trouble cause he was alone with her to touch her butt. I do watch them closely but he accidently got alone with her for a few minute. She adores him and follows him around. He did it to be funny. he also threw his shoe in pee and peed on a plastic chair. He is impulsive and has conduct issues. What do you suggest now? he is on 4 mg of risperdal, 3 mg of intuniv and .5mg tenex and 10 mg prozac.

PQLICE
01-24-13, 06:04 PM
I've been taking resperidone for +7 months. I have gained 15lb's quiet quickly after first starting the medication in the first month, but my weight has not increased any further.

I am wondering for those who have gone off resperidone, if the weight is lost after the prolactin decreases in the body?

Thanks