View Full Version : Standardized Reading Tests Misery

Justtess
01-24-09, 08:57 PM
For some reason, the No-Child-Left-Behind Act and adopted standardized reading tests have created a headache for teachers held responsible for all students passing. These tests are nothing like the type of reading assessments we had 20 years

I've looked at the California's Standardized Testing for Language Arts 5th Grade. The posted online table suggests the total time for these 170 minutes (almost 3 hours). It also stated these tests are not timed and the students are allowed to complete the tasks within the testing day.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/star09itmtmchrt.doc

I also looked at Illinois' Standardized Testing for Reading 4th Grade which consists of 3 parts lasting 135 minutes (about 2 hours). Students are given another 10 minutes to complete each section as needed.

http://www.isbe.net/assessment/pdfs/2008/ISAT_Sample_Book_Gr_4_r.pdf

Texas Standardized Reading test for 5th grade consists of aproximately 12 pages of reading text and a total of 27 pages including the questions. The students have the entire day to complete this test. Considering if the student is appropriately fluent, the test averages about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

I think each state has a modification handbook that allows various allowances for students with ADHD however, ADHD isn't directly addressed in the handbooks I've come across (neither is dyslexia).

I've come across one university professor who had publicly blamed these types of standardized tests for creating issues fors students who quite naturally do not read comfortably for a 2 hours stretch.

If I look at both of my sons reading abilities, I can clearly say both of them did not read properly as the majority of students do. My oldest who is dx ADHD... answered questions with logical reasoning and barely read the reading passages. My youngest with amblyopia, hates reading because it causes headaches with lengthly tests, besides, his brain processes visual symbols differently than the majority. (early reading was a complete struggle for him). Basically, both of my sons coped with their disability and mastered the standardized tests.

I'm just curious as to what types of accomodations / modifications are available at different schools for students with ADHD? What does extra time on test consists of? How difficult/easy is it to get accomodations/modifications?

It takes me nearly a year to get a dx student to shorten a test and/or take it within two days (and hopefully, the parent doesn't change their mind through the process so their child can be like everyone else).

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 02:32 PM
stadists test just dont work on pepole with perception porbelmsss in the end its needsss to be taild to each group pepole to round it off fairly it just wont work this way till they do thissss betterrrr there never be chance enough to help thoses who really need it dorm

gpfan5
02-03-09, 03:31 PM
I am a parent of a child with ADHD/non hyperactive in Indiana and I actually have a mtg with the school counselor and classroom teacher tomorrow to discuss a 504 plan. I logged in today specifically to do some research on the diff. betw. an IEP and the 504 plan. If I come across anything that might help you, I'll be sure to post! I am interested in hearing what other parents and teachers have to say on this topic. Thanks for posting!

Jennifer, diag. with ADD in mid twenties,
daughter, 2nd grade, diag. with ADD in kindergarten

RedSkittles
02-21-09, 12:03 AM
i dont get a word u said LOLZ

The ADHD Fan
02-21-09, 12:49 AM
I think any kid, ADHD or not, would go out of their mind if they had to read for that amount of time on a test (the reading passages in those tests are often far from entertaining to begin with!). The only plus which I do see is that they might help prepare one for the SAT later on, which does take about the same amount of time (however, it typically alternates between reading and math and has several built-in breaks).

notellin
03-12-09, 11:59 PM
For state tests: All day to finish, breaks, prompts to attend, environment with less distractions (rsp room).

Extra books, no grade reduction for late work, extra time for assessments and in-class work (at home or in class), preferential seating.

It didn't seem hard to get these things.

dormammau2008
03-13-09, 10:45 PM
:pwhat standardized test isss there for the uk?????

:)in reading tests?

dorm

notellin
03-21-09, 01:04 AM
Justtess is talking USA. No Child Left Behind is a USA thing, not UK.

dormammau2008
03-22-09, 04:22 PM
:pi know its the usa i though id ask anoput the uk veison ofve it

dorm:cool: