View Full Version : Requesting a liberal doc's name in NJ/Philly for dexedrine RX on the first visit.

Colin_O
01-27-09, 10:44 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="100%">
</td> <!-- Show warned sign --> <!-- End of show warned sign --> <td valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">

http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif
<!-- Show warning points --> <!-- End of show warning points --> <!-- show awards --> <!-- /show awards -->

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title --> Need a doc in NJ/Philly area
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have researched adhd drugs a good deal and I am certain that I can benefit from their usage.This is a last resort for me,I have self medicated with ephedrine and caffiene for the last few years of my life and I'm now 34.My ADHD symptoms have a negative impact on my work and life in general,if I do not stay on ephedrine and caffiene.Even while on the forementioned,I function at a level which is beneath my IQ,which was tested at 129 and 131 on two seperate occasions.

I am simply too old to be dabbling around with these archaic compounds any longer.I have scoured Pubmed in hopes of finding supporting research for nootropics to manage my problems,to no avail.Regardless,I have tried several nootropics with no tangible results,after months of usage.I have allowed ample time (4 months) for aniracetam to exert its effects on brain plasticity and have realized no signifigant benefit.

I've no health insurance ATM and I recently bought my (first) house.The hefty sum that a psychologist would require for multiple visits intil he or she deemed that I qualify for ADHD treatment is not remotely feasible.

This disclosed,I would very much appreciate it if someone could give me the name of a decent doctor/psychologist who would be open minded enough to write me a script for dexedrine on the first visit.I have an ample amount of supporting abstracts collated to present to such a doctor,I am not some sort of pill hound or what not.

Any doctor,preferably a GP as they are generally cheaper,in the Philadelphia or southern NJ area,would be great.For reference,I live about 10 minutes north of Philly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Please feel free to PM me your response if you would rather not post it on this board.

timtam
01-28-09, 07:17 AM
firstly, medication is only one aspect of treatment for ADHD, especially for adults with undiagnosed ADHD. treatment based solely on medication wouldn't help you in the long term. while medication may help reduce the symptoms of ADHD (or may not - everyone is different - that's why in-depth consultation is necessary), it doesn't replace the cognitive and social skills that most undiagnosed ADHD adults never adequately learned as a child/adolescent because of their condition.

and secondly, i don't know how the laws operates in the US in relation to the prescription of stimulant medication, but in australia only a psychiatrist has the authority to prescribe stimulant medication (a psychiatrist can nominate a GP to be a co-prescriber).

but these regulations are important, and any circumvention of those regulations does a disservice to the person wanting access to stimulant medication (even for legitimate reasons) because medication by itself would provide inadequate treatment.

i don't think anyone would be willing or able to give you what you want because i'm pretty sure most people here would agree with me and most people would avoid a doctor who provided such inadequate treatment. on the other hand, i'm sure most people would be willing to give advice on who to see to get proper treatment.

KDLMaj
01-29-09, 01:56 PM
In the US, stimulant medication can be prescribed my an MD. The family physician is the primary source of stimulant prescriptions here. (A lot of this is related to our really ridiculous privately run insurance system)

The problem with the original poster's request is that there are several disorders that could potentially be causing underachievement. While stimulant addiction is definitely a strong sign of the potential for ADHD- it's not unique to ADHD. Bipolar Type II is also a strong possibility. And hypomania shares enough diagnostic criteria with hyperactivity that qualifying as one qualifies you as the other. You absolutely need a professional who is experienced in disentangling symptoms of various related disorders in adults before you run out and nab dexedrine (in particular, if you're suffering from Type II Bipolar Disorder then dexedrine could be extremely dangerous).

The other issue you're going to run into is that most doctors are incredibly wary of adults who waltz in, declare they suffer from ADHD, and then request stimulant medication (particularly if they go in with a specific medication in mind). It is, by definition, drug-seeking behavior. (Now don't get me wrong- drug-seek behavior isn't always a sign of drug addiction. You can be legitimately seeking out symptom relief and still qualify as drug-seeking). But it's going to send up warning signals to most doctors.

Your best bet is to locate an ADHD/LD Clinic in your area and to inquire about sliding scale fees. They'll be willing to look at you specifically for ADHD (and not immediately dismiss you out of hand), and it'll be a more accurate diagnosis.

Good luck!

ADHDTigger
01-29-09, 02:58 PM
Try calling 211 for your area. It is a referral hotline run by the United Way. They will be able to refer you to mental health resources in your area that operate on sliding fees. You can also try chadd.org and request referrals for your area. I do not know if they identify sliding fee resources or not.

I have to stand with the other posters. You need a clear diagnosis from a professional who is also able to get a medical history from you. For some people, the amphetamine range of drugs is contraindicated based on history. Stimulants are considered to be the first line of treatment but are not the only approach.

Check with your state to determine if you qualify for medical assistance by your local guidelines. Generally, there is something that will cover you with a reasonable co-pay that will defray the costs of diagnosis.

Snoogs
01-29-09, 04:54 PM
when i first recognized I had a problem I went and saw a family physician. She was unwilling to prescribe any medication without a proper diagnosis and said she did not feel comfortable making one since it wasn't her specialty. She referred me to a psychiatrist and I was formally diagnosed.

My doctor also told me that most family physicians are not willing to make a diagnosis, and i assume that fewer are willing to give stimulant medication without one.

I have personally heard of two instances where a family physician did precribe medication. One person was prescribed adderall simply by telling his doctor he was already taking it and thought it helped (the doctor would rather prescibe it then him take it illegally), and the other person was prescibed strattera without a formal diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

As far as i know, its rare for family physicians to write a prescription for adults without formal diagnosis by a psychiatrist. I was also in a similar situation as yourself, but instead of lack of money/insurance i had lack of time. My doctor worked with me, and the psychiatrist was willing to forgoe continued treatment (also because it might not have helped me very much). My advice is to call a couple doctors and see if they are willing to make a diagnosis, if not, then go see a psychiatrist.

BessieMaeMucho
02-15-09, 04:09 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="100%">
</td> <!-- Show warned sign --> <!-- End of show warned sign --> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">

http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif
<!-- Show warning points --> <!-- End of show warning points --> <!-- show awards --> <!-- /show awards -->

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title --> Need a doc in NJ/Philly area
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have researched adhd drugs a good deal and I am certain that I can benefit from their usage.This is a last resort for me,I have self medicated with ephedrine and caffiene for the last few years of my life and I'm now 34.My ADHD symptoms have a negative impact on my work and life in general,if I do not stay on ephedrine and caffiene.Even while on the forementioned,I function at a level which is beneath my IQ,which was tested at 129 and 131 on two seperate occasions.

I am simply too old to be dabbling around with these archaic compounds any longer.I have scoured Pubmed in hopes of finding supporting research for nootropics to manage my problems,to no avail.Regardless,I have tried several nootropics with no tangible results,after months of usage.I have allowed ample time (4 months) for aniracetam to exert its effects on brain plasticity and have realized no signifigant benefit.

I've no health insurance ATM and I recently bought my (first) house.The hefty sum that a psychologist would require for multiple visits intil he or she deemed that I qualify for ADHD treatment is not remotely feasible.

This disclosed,I would very much appreciate it if someone could give me the name of a decent doctor/psychologist who would be open minded enough to write me a script for dexedrine on the first visit.I have an ample amount of supporting abstracts collated to present to such a doctor,I am not some sort of pill hound or what not.

Any doctor,preferably a GP as they are generally cheaper,in the Philadelphia or southern NJ area,would be great.For reference,I live about 10 minutes north of Philly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Please feel free to PM me your response if you would rather not post it on this board.

My questions to you are the following:
ADHD manifests itself in youth...typically showing signs around age 6 or so..or during early school years to determine grade performance, behavior issues, attention, hyperness etc. if this is the case you wouldve already been taking some type of medication for adhd issues. If not, if you see a doctor, questions asked of your parents or family members about your youth would help you get a diagnosis later in life. (which is my case)

I'm assuming you are a male judging by your profile and other posts. Knowing that ephedrine was mainly used for weight loss or (especially in men) body building i wonder how you figured it would help with your adhd? If i were a doctor and i heard that, (or saw that you were mucular or overweight) i would construe you a speed freak...be careful with this information, especially when requesting a specific medication. This raises a big red flag to doctors in regards to adults and you're far less likely to get that which you want. Even requesting a "liberal Doctor" is a red flag to me suggesting you'd rather just find some kind of doctor feel good instead of getting a real diagnosis the proper way. One symptom of ADHD is impatience, but a doctor isnt going to see it that way. We all wanted relief from the frustration we live day to day quickly so as to get on with our lives..but patience here i'm afraid is indeed a virtue.

Why a specific medication..if youre concerned about how ADHD is effecting you, then why just one medication instead of doing everything you can to cope with it. while this does include medications understand that there are different brands and types that trigger different stimuli in the brain, causing varying results in different people..what drug works for one, might not for another etc..with adhd, its trial and error in experimenting with the drug and dosage that's right for you and will take some time and quite a few visits to achieve. Aside from medication your therapy consists of coaching and learing new techniques to assist you in day to day functioning. Like keeping a journal, writing down schedules, carrying a voice recorder etc..again, requesting one specific medication would suggest to the dr that you have perhaps already tried the drug by illegal means. Dr will probably judge that you acquired use of this drug from a friend which is another red flag.

lackoffocus03
02-17-09, 07:48 PM
when i first recognized I had a problem I went and saw a family physician. She was unwilling to prescribe any medication without a proper diagnosis and said she did not feel comfortable making one since it wasn't her specialty. She referred me to a psychiatrist and I was formally diagnosed.

My doctor also told me that most family physicians are not willing to make a diagnosis, and i assume that fewer are willing to give stimulant medication without one.

I have personally heard of two instances where a family physician did precribe medication. One person was prescribed adderall simply by telling his doctor he was already taking it and thought it helped (the doctor would rather prescibe it then him take it illegally), and the other person was prescibed strattera without a formal diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

As far as i know, its rare for family physicians to write a prescription for adults without formal diagnosis by a psychiatrist. I was also in a similar situation as yourself, but instead of lack of money/insurance i had lack of time. My doctor worked with me, and the psychiatrist was willing to forgoe continued treatment (also because it might not have helped me very much). My advice is to call a couple doctors and see if they are willing to make a diagnosis, if not, then go see a psychiatrist.

I was giving a diagnosis by my GP and prescribed adderrall in only 20 minutes Time.

QueensU_girl
02-17-09, 08:21 PM
I am sort of suspicious here with OP b/c the first thing mentioned is a bit of a life story of suffering (not about how you just bought a house), and then the struggle for diagnosis, etc.

Most people who are really concerned with diagnosis and treatment don't write "[seeking a] liberal doctor" (doctor shopping) in their first few posts as a new user.

Your attitude sounds pretty haughty too. As though testing will waste your time, and that you sound above it, etc.

Truly, your experience sounds atypical of other Adult ADDers and as though ADD has not really been much a problem for you.

If I were your doctor, I'd possibly say 'don't let the door hit you on the way out.' ;)

~Emma

QueensU_girl
02-17-09, 08:22 PM
You are even naming the EXACT drug you want, for goodness sake.

How do you know how Dexedrine works? Why not a bunch of other drugs?

Your post says 'drug seeker' all over it.

timtam
02-17-09, 09:41 PM

that was my impression too.

jpoker27
03-08-12, 04:28 AM

It probably wont last long, some people who dont take it will take it to pull an all nighter or go out all night, ect, but as someone who has been on the stimulants for waaay too long, i cant see someone finding it real "fun" after the first day. I hate the stimulants, never have taken desoxyn, but all the others, and there really arent any other options in my opinion. My doc even refused when i asked him to just TRY Intuniv, that new one that just came out. He only let me take some samples as long as I took it with the dexedrine, but I never did.