View Full Version : emptyness...

darkland8
01-28-09, 01:48 AM
OK so it goes like this. Up till now I've been happy and care free about life. But recently i've been feeling the pressure... It's been effecting me in good and bad ways, like I'm doing my work and paying attention in class more, but on the other hand it's really taking a toll on me pharmacologically. I've really begun to question myself. Everything i do seems to be empty. it's like i need something more. i feel like i'm missing somehting in my life but i have no clue what it is, or how to find it...

I'm sure this is just some phase in life, but knowing that doesn't make it any easyer to get through. Things are hard when you question everythign about yourself that you once took for granted...

Basicaly I'm wondering if this ever happened to any of you guys and if so what did you do about it...

darkland8
01-28-09, 09:40 PM
sorry to double post but when i said pharmacologically i meant psychologically... =p mb

stillfightin
01-28-09, 10:42 PM
How old are you?

darkland8
01-29-09, 06:56 PM
I'm 16

lollypop
01-29-09, 07:28 PM
16? I dont think I could describe how I felt at 16 but it was pretty meaningless, no direction, no belonging kinda feeling. I was working a YTS scheme job I never wanted because my mum insisted I go for the interview 'I'm not having you laying about this house when you leave school with nothing to do' constant nagging and was fooled that the job interview could be good practice........... great idea until they actually offered me the job on the spot and I didnt know how to say no...that and my mum knew them so I couldnt lie to her (not that I can lie to save my life) and well I didnt know what to say anyway........

Sorry I'm rambling....... as you can probably tell I didnt feel so great at your age, I think thats pretty dare I say normal for anyone but perhaps a little more overwelming for those with AD/HD because everything is generally a little more difficult anyway

livinginchaos
01-30-09, 12:13 AM
I think everyone has a couple times (at least) in their life they feel a similar way, a hole that needs to be filled. I think the best thing to do is to put variety in your life and see what fills the hole. Take time to volunteer, learn a new hobby, make new friends . . etc

stargirl101
07-05-09, 01:02 AM
Hi,

I am 17 and I can relate to how you feel. infact most of the time, I feel this deep void inside myself, that I can never satisfy. it's like i spend all my days waiting..
waiting for something real to happen to me. waitng to feel alive. waitng for some kind of substance in my life.
but, day after day the endless void remains just as it is. it is quite disheartening after awhile.

rossragsdale
07-08-09, 09:20 AM
Ok, here it is man, you probably have Dysthymia, like many others ADHD sufferers like myself and my good friend who also has adhd. (I'm glad I became friends with him because I really wouldnt have anyone else to relate to in high school)

But basicly what Dysthymia is, is minor long term depression. We both have it and it sounds like you (also stargirl101) do too. My personal theoy is that its very common to have it during high school years.

I could go into the minor details of it but if im right, I'm guessing you act differntly in school then you do with your close friends. Like when in school you are very reserved and quiet, but with friends you are much more lively. If you think I'm on to something with this I have a couple more questions then I can give some useful advice.

ThomasKathySD
07-08-09, 05:28 PM
There are times when I just don't get what I want,or what I want to do in the world. How do I find myself in this big world. It can be so frustrating. I get too overwhelmed with daly life that I find myself reading,playing on my PSP2 slim,going to the liberary to have some alone time on the computer(at least for 2 hours),or smoking my brains/lungs out.

TheColorOfSleep
07-17-09, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm in this phase right now. I see myself unable to see myself happy with anyone, unable to muster strong feelings towards anyone or anything. I'm scraping by each day, as a slug. It doesn't help that I'm unable to go outside and socialize with my friends, but this is through my own fault. Fortunately it is helping me learn a bit about myself, and I hope with enough information I'll be able to tear down the walls of anxiety and self-loathing that are preventing me from feeling positive and doing something.

Beforehand I'd use drugs to fix this, but I see this as ultimately a temporary solution. So I'm trying to stay away. Still, a hit of LSD would probably do wonders for my perspective.

stargirl101
07-18-09, 11:14 PM
yes, it sounds like i have Dysthymia. i feel sooo different then everyone else in my highschool. i do have friends, though. and your completley right, when i am with my friends i am much more outgoing and lively, but when i am with mere aqaintances or peers i am much more reserved. many times it seems like days just "happen" with little fufillement or meaning.
my question is how do i deal with Dysthymia, when i often feel overwhelemed, over tired, and insecure in the school enviorment???

rossragsdale
07-20-09, 09:57 AM
Well I'm reading this book right now called 'Feeling Good', and it is proven through studies to cure depression more effectively then medication. It's all about your mindset and how that has control over your thoughts and ultimately emotions. You can download it online from rapidshare or just buy it from a bookstore if you want to be legal about it.

Fraz_2006
07-20-09, 10:00 AM
Ok... basically it goes like this....

People that live there lifes constantly wanting something new..... will always feel like a hole needs to be filled.

In other words.... to get rid of the "gap" feeling.... you need to focus more of your attention on what you actually have, instead of what you don't have.

If you keep allowing yourself to focus on what you don't have.... you will always want more, regardless of what you do have.

rossragsdale
07-20-09, 10:05 AM
I think the "gap" feeling is just a side affect of the depression. A feeling of hopelessness, uselessness, and being less then what you desire. You have to treat the cause of the feeling instead of trying to fill this "hole" because it always going to be something else until you are no longer depressed. Yeah I agree with Fraz, part of depression is you lose sight of your strengths, which everyone has, no matter what you think right now.

Archon
07-20-09, 12:29 PM
For me life wasn't that great at 16 :P

I didn't really get the social scene (I was generally liked but ignored), I felt fundamentally different from my peers and school was starting to get rough. The feeling of isolation was strange for me, it was like you knew and saw that you were a obviously a monster and that you didn't fit in, but no-one else seemed to realise or acknowledge it. I never got that sense of belonging even when I had every possible indication that I did belong.

I skipped school lots and did the High Warlord grind in World of Warcraft :P but I wouldn't recommend you do something similar. I wasn't quite suicidal but I was certainly close and I could not for the life of me see the point to anything...

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. I still have these problems to this day.

rossragsdale
07-28-09, 10:06 AM
I know exactly what you mean by ignored and isolated.

Michiko74
08-13-09, 06:15 PM
I think the best thing to do is to put variety in your life and see what fills the hole. Take time to volunteer, learn a new hobby, make new friends . . etc

Exactly!

This is a time to explore and let your curoisity guide you. It doesn't matter if you don't like it or you have a bad experience. The point is you learn something more about you and what talents you have to share with the world.

Werl
05-25-10, 11:56 AM
I feel this way (I think) because i have no friends. No one to call, text, invite over, or have a birthday party with (didn't have one last year).

It's hard to read some of these threads, I feel the same way.