View Full Version : Started Counselling at Uni

Darkangel001
01-29-09, 02:20 PM
After years of procrastination and denial- I have finally put myself out there and gone and seen the Uni's Counsellor- Have only had an introduction session so far- but I'll see how this goes-
C mentioned that I should mention that I am seeing him to a psychiatrist- since it would not be good for me to do two load of therapy in parallel to each other.

Got my ADD appt next week- and the dyslexia test is pending as well- things just finally seem to be moving along!

Which brings me to ask- since I never had counselling before- what should I expect?

irishdel
01-29-09, 03:36 PM
Hi
I've got counselling at 2 diffrent stages in my life and found it very heplfull at the time, to be honest i think most people would benifit greatly from counselling, , it's just good to get out whats caught up in you're head sometimes ,just saying something out loud can change how you see things.

You basicly go in and talk about what ever you want and the couseller listens, if you have a particular problem she'll disscus that and try give some perspective, you don't have to talk about anything too heavy if you don't want but try and see it as a tool.
They don't know you and you don't know them which means you can say anything in that hour and not have any bagage afterwards the way you can if you tell family or friends your deepest darkest secrets( not that i have any deepest darkest secrets)

I'm a carpenter who works during the week has a few pints at the weekend and wouldn't miss my weekly session for love nor money.I actually look foward to it:)

Darkangel001
01-29-09, 08:23 PM
Thank you IrishDel- That's what I seem to have understood from my C as well- I am just wondering exactly how it will help me to unload everything onto someone and then just have it hanging there- this happened to me before and I am now very reluctant to try anything caus I don't want to feel you know ground 0 again.

Thanks

irishdel
01-29-09, 08:38 PM
- this happened to me before and I am now very reluctant to try anything caus I don't want to feel you know ground 0 again.

Thanks

It can be hard some weeks....your opening up old wounds ,ones you forgot you had, but i think it's good to get them out there, wipe the slate clean, start afresh.....

Sometimes it's good to be back at ground zero, you get a chance to build again on more solid ground.....
:)