View Full Version : Back pain in absence of injury?

scarygreengiant
01-30-09, 05:25 PM
My back started hurting last night and it is still hurting. I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. I haven't injured myself and I haven't been lifting any heavy objects. Does anyone know what can cause sudden LOWER back pain? Thanks.

ustilago
01-30-09, 06:22 PM
Tension? Stress? Kidney stones?

It really depends on where the pain is and what kind of pain it is. Is it a sharp stabbing pain, a dull aching pain? Where specifically is it located?

If motrin/advil/iboprofen won't touch it then I recommend that you see a doctor about it.

FrazzleDazzle
01-30-09, 07:17 PM
Sudden low back pain can be accumulation of things too....and then it just has enough. Poor posture, past injuries, wearing a wallet in your back pocket if you're a guy, sitting cross-legged, mechanical body imbalances (shorter leg or scoliosis) and then one day, ow. Do you have sore muscles? There are lots of trigger points in the lower back that can flare up that can be relieved by pressure point massage (press your back against a tennis ball up against a wall to work them out. Try icing your low back if that helps. If it's a "new" injury, ice will reduce swelling and prevent further soft tissue injury.

And, yes, call your doc, or nurse line.

QueensU_girl
01-30-09, 10:11 PM
Are or were you taking stimulants or SSRIs or any other meds (eg Wellbutrin, sleeping pills, anxiety meds)?

scarygreengiant
01-31-09, 02:25 PM
I'm taking Focalin XR, Focalin, and Cymbalta. Do you think that might have something to do with it?