View Full Version : Controlling a battery under XP

ADB1
01-31-09, 10:47 PM
I have ruined a battery on a previous laptop by using for short periods on battery then recharging it again :(. I am keen not to do the same to my current one (an IBM/Lenovo). My understanding is that the number of discharges that count in considering the life of the battery.

I am looking for a utility to control whether you change the battery.

I have a partial answer - the Lenovo power management utility allows you to set it only to charge the battery if it gets below a certain amount. Default is 90% but setting to 30% allow me a number of short off mains periods. But say you get to 35% and you are at home. So a good time to recharge. So I adjust the charge to 40%. Then it charges to 80 and you need to go to a meeting or home..... It is a bit fiddly :confused:

Background - I tend to go to meetings (and like to have my laptop) or to go and work in a meeting room for short periods. The latter is a function of my ADD - concentration at my desk does not work. And I do my most creative work in trains and cafes where there is no power.

blueroo
02-01-09, 07:06 AM
What kind of battery was in the old laptop? How long ago was this? Battery technologies have been changing quite a bit, and a new laptop shouldn't care whether you fully discharge them or not. New batteries do not suffer from memory issues.

Mincan
02-01-09, 12:19 PM
Nickel-Cadnium = solid memory - you even start charging it once near full and you've just ruined that batteries memory to 1/16th its former self.
Nickel-Metal-Hydride = some residual memory - you should still wait until near bottom to charge but doesn't gain memory for some time
Lithium-Ion = no memory apparently. Good to go, charge as you will. What annoys me is when companies don't use Lithium Ion STILL after all these years its been out and give you crappy N-MH to use.

SB_UK
02-01-09, 03:26 PM
- not an answer to your question but have you thought of one of these?

http://www.laptopbattery-inc.co.uk/universal-laptop-battery-133-watthours-liion-p-251.html?zenid=g1oo6dl171t1a4i7fto8ufj2d5

I have a 142 Watthour Li-ion (1000 charge capacity min) with 21V,19V,16V,14V,12V,5V USB output -
multiple heads -
so it charges up all of our equipment
(I detest laptop batteries).

The 'Universal' above is expensive at 125 UKP -

- I've seen 142 Watthours for 75 UKP

mine was something like 100 UKP - use it as a tray to support my netbooks - (Vaio TX3, Samsung NC10 and Acer Aspire One) - are such undemanding little things -
that running outta' juice ceases to be a problem.

I have ruined a battery on a previous laptop by using for short periods on battery then recharging it again :(. I am keen not to do the same to my current one (an IBM/Lenovo). My understanding is that the number of discharges that count in considering the life of the battery.

I have a partial answer - the Lenovo power management utility allows you to set it only to charge the battery if it gets below a certain amount. Default is 90% but setting to 30% allow me a number of short off mains periods. But say you get to 35% and you are at home. So a good time to recharge. So I adjust the charge to 40%. Then it charges to 80 and you need to go to a meeting or home..... It is a bit fiddly :confused:

Background - I tend to go to meetings (and like to have my laptop) or to go and work in a meeting room for short periods. The latter is a function of my ADD - concentration at my desk does not work. And I do my most creative work in trains and cafes where there is no power.

Driver
02-01-09, 04:39 PM
Just get a second battery and/or an external one.

http://www.global-batteries.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1329

dormammau2008
02-01-09, 07:48 PM
i normal charge when its at 98% with 2% power rming then it chagres up dorm

SB_UK
02-02-09, 03:08 AM
I have ruined a battery on a previous laptop by using for short periods on battery then recharging it again :(.

How about a programmable timer switch set to 2-or-3 hours ON / 2-or-3 hours OFF ?

Mains and Battery 'always on schemes' with shutdown at 3 hours or 5% power

Plug in laptop, flick timer on (maybe by remote) -

the battery then fully discharges,
- stays on FOR 3 hours or goes into standby -
and then charges up for 3 hours and awaits re-use.

-*-

Be nice if we could set the PC to an optimal battery conditioning mode -
such that it takes power to optimise battery life -
the only problem though when rushes off to an impromptu meeting and the machine is discharging -
but then again the external battery I mentioned above is seen as an external power source and can travel with you.

My schedule is to charge the external battery only once at night - if it was used at all during the day, though this solution is only really pushing your problem back a level.

Pity that we can't plop 4 CRV3 Li-ions in (14.4 x 5.2 = 75 watt hours (I think)) rechargeables in -
- recharging spares simultaneously with main set wouldn't be a problem that way

- the glorious Psion 3 and 5 used AAs
:-) maybe that'd be the way to go (I loved my Psion 3).

But then again -

(... ... ... don't get me started :-) )

my current favoured solution is to use a small device with external keyboard (and screen if necessary)
- bluetooth keyboard [eneloop AAA batteries] to mini processor [something which charges by USB from external eneloop AA battery pack] - to some sort of wireless eneloop AA/AAA powered projector

The wired Optoma Pico is charged via USB, comes with 2 batteries - though is wired.
I suppose one wire can be supported :-) if it can be hooked onto some sort of retracting device
(which we don't seem :-) to be able to buy)

(... ... ... just ... ... ... don't get me started :-) )

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 01:44 PM
:)i wounder why a dieemo canrt be hucked up and take a few atts power to keep recling the power though the xbox etc and other things like tv smiler to a windup torch but compressing it more witch can be hucked up to exsiting tvs and other aplice as wel might be intresting to see that dont you think???? dorm

SB_UK
02-03-09, 03:12 PM
:)i wounder why a dieemo canrt be hucked up and take a few atts power to keep recling the power though the xbox etc and other things like tv smiler to a windup torch but compressing it more witch can be hucked up to exsiting tvs and other aplice as wel might be intresting to see that dont you think???? dorm

I had just that idea too :p just recently again - whilst gazing into the eye of the eneloop -

a folding oil-less bike which gets you places, charges your batteries inside and out (by lifting the back wheel) and fits into your (largish) back pocket.

'The Bat Bike'http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:_2kaqe9Jkq6ZJM:http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Melissa-Farlow/A-Man-Pedals-an-Old-Fashioned-Bicycle-Ahead-of-an-Indiana-Thunderstorm-Photographic-Print-C10243490.jpeg

~aka~

'the roost'

kewl!

version 2 will permit tandem, 3, 4, 5 ...arrays of bicycles to be chained in series.

Social :p see.

Presumably a larger than average chain (50 people) might be able to charge a larger than average (really big) battery.

Do you think that the UK sun'd work a solar panel?

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 03:18 PM
that be intreting to try that out with sun tec hummm i lookinto that one dorm eheh

djdragon7k
02-05-09, 02:26 PM

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm#anchor_download

It has a lot of computer utilities builtin. I use it and has a better battery meter than the one built into both XP and vista. It also montiors cpu speed and the temperatures of both the cpu and hard drive. It is a "pre release", completed free, there is a professional version that cost money. but the pre release and professional do the same thing.

Hope this helps.

cdub998
02-05-09, 02:44 PM
If it is lithium Ion it is recommended that you charge it whenever it is at most half full. Supposedly keeps capacity. You should be able to see your battery's health status in your bios on boot. This will tell you at max charge how much charge you get. For example my battery is %80 cap now so the most it will charge is %80. That way you know when it will need replacing.

SB_UK
02-06-09, 03:11 AM
- thanks -

trying it now

Instead of just giving the approximate time until your battery dies BatteryBar gives you a full readout of your battery’s status and health. BatteryBar uses statistical time prediction to provide realistic estimates of how long your battery will last. The data points are gathered from your battery’s historical performance. The standard battery meter you find in Windows doesn’t have anything like this and that’s one of the reasons you’ll see your ‘battery remaining’ notifications jump all over the place.

http://www.notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/batterybar_app_2.jpg

~s (http://www.notebooks.com/2009/02/04/batterybar_battery_meter_notebooks/)~
~d (http://www.osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/download.html)~

mr.lazy
02-26-09, 03:01 PM
I usually just let the battery empty to 5% and then recharge, but i often just use my laptop plugged in without the bat.