View Full Version : Back at school..

Ebzy
02-02-09, 02:33 AM
So I started back at school today, I'm year 11 now. I had english class at the end of the day, I got the same teacher as I had last year. We had to write a letter for her to get-to-know us sort of thing. Anyway, over the holidays I'd discovered ADD and really think it''s what's been holding me back, (hopefully getting asessed in the next few weeks) so I decided to write about it in my letter.
So we hand in our letters and start talking about the book we had to read over the holidays. In no time they somehow get onto the subject of ADD, and my teacher (who i've always liked) said things like 'it wasn't around when I was a kid and I don't believe anything's changed', she thinks it's just a way to deal with hyper children.

So after they talked about that I got really anxious and felt like an idiot for writing about it on the letter, I should of just kept it to myself.. ahh.. :( Just thought I'd share because it might make me feel better.. funny how things work out sometimes, ey?

kwalk
02-02-09, 02:42 AM
yeea maybe she'll be a bit more understanding when she reads it. She likes you so i'm sure she wont judge you,

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 02:27 PM
you need to take it there or it wont chage at your school i dono if your uk or usa but there are rulesss and she should know better in the end her opeyion is fine but if its deacrt at you then it can cos upset then she needs to be told and shown that this dose exist in the world sooo you can have the edagation you need dorm

ecu20
02-05-09, 08:11 AM
So I started back at school today, I'm year 11 now. I had english class at the end of the day, I got the same teacher as I had last year. We had to write a letter for her to get-to-know us sort of thing. Anyway, over the holidays I'd discovered ADD and really think it''s what's been holding me back, (hopefully getting asessed in the next few weeks) so I decided to write about it in my letter.
So we hand in our letters and start talking about the book we had to read over the holidays. In no time they somehow get onto the subject of ADD, and my teacher (who i've always liked) said things like 'it wasn't around when I was a kid and I don't believe anything's changed', she thinks it's just a way to deal with hyper children.

So after they talked about that I got really anxious and felt like an idiot for writing about it on the letter, I should of just kept it to myself.. ahh.. :( Just thought I'd share because it might make me feel better.. funny how things work out sometimes, ey?

What exactly did write about ADD in the letter? That you think you may have ADD? That you have ADD? In my opinion, her blurted out feelings of a valid, accepted, and VERY real medical diagnosis is unprofessional, and downright ignorant. I have never had no teachers, nor professors give their "opinions" of something to this nature, ever. Her job is to teach, not preach! I wish she would do the same work expected of the students she "teaches." Can she not find any journals or research reports about ADHD/ADD assuming "research" is required for writing papers like I had in high school?? If so, that's frightening to say the least that she's been given the approval to teach kids/students in school.

And secondly, why the heck are you feeling like "an idiot for writing about it (ADD)?" There is no reason YOU should feel like an idiot for writing about it, don't ever listen to anyone telling you that (including yourself :D). If anyone should feel like the idiot from that situation... well, it sure shouldn't be you! :)

kwalk
02-05-09, 06:25 PM
you know, I got my dad to believe that I couldn't concentrate better with practice when reading when I read three sentences out loud and I couldn't tell him seconds later anything past the first sentence. Then I couldn't understand what even a paragraph meant. This was very similar to a part in neuro testing. After that he happened to ask me what he was talking to me about a few seconds later, and I could repeat a 1/3 of what he said, and then I said, and after that you lost me....

Ebzy
02-05-09, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. :)
On the letter I wrote that I think I had ADD and will hopefully be getting assesed within the next few weeks. I had her last year so she would of noticed that I have some trouble with school. She is a very opinionated teacher..

orangesky
02-12-09, 03:43 PM
The school I work in was sued recently for not meeting the need of an ADHD student. They lost as it was proven that they were not meeting his needs. There is some resentment by some staff about this and one staff member was complaining to me how this child had "normal" intelligence and couldn't even bring a pencil to class. I told her That I recently found out that I had ADHD and I'm not sure that she knew what to say. So as part of the lawsuit all staff has to go through training. It is good for me because I am learning more about myself and perhaps it will help others to understand my struggles.