View Full Version : aspergers syndrome-tell me everything?

leana
02-07-09, 10:29 AM
my four year old son was just retested, and this dr said he has adhd,and aspergers syndrom.the last dr said he had adhd,and autistic/spectrum/disorder.anyway,with this new diagnosis,i need to know exactly what aspergers syndrome is? how does it differ from the autistic/spectrum/disorder/? what to expect? and how is it treated? i will read up on it,but id like to hear what a person that has it has to say about what it is?

Lady Lark
02-07-09, 11:13 AM
That's a lot to answer, but I do know exactly where you are. My own son is ADHD/Aspie, and gifted to boot. Unfortunately I don't have the time to answer them right now, but I will soon.

tudorose
02-08-09, 02:40 AM
Look up tony attwood on a net search.

Crazygirl79
02-08-09, 07:50 PM
Ditto to Tudorose's post

Lady Lark
02-09-09, 11:13 AM
OK, now that I have some time... :)

Asperger's is different from AS in mainly because of language. As will have early language delay, while aspies won't, and many time will be talking early. There disability is lacking an understanding of non-verbal communication, which is why they are so bad at social cues since something like 85% of communication is non verbal. Many will also have the AS like obsession with a topic of interest (to the point of learning every last everything about it), but not all. Asperger's has a spectrum just like Autism.

Treatment can vary, but for me what worked was a combination of medication, and play therapy. The meds help keep him calm, and reduce his anxiety, as well as manage his ADHD, and the therapy taught him how to interact with people correctly, and how to handle social situations. He is also seeing a developmental pediatrician, since most psycs aren't equipped to deal with AS.

What to expect really depends on your son, since every child is different. I do know that, like most things, early intervention is key, and you are luckier then I was, since we didn't get this figured out until he was 7. One thing to be aware of, Aspies tend to be of higher intelligence then an average population sampling. So you may end up with a very bright, or gifted child. This isn't always the case, because just being an aspie doesn't automatically mean you're gifted, but something to look for just in case.

I hope that helped. Feel free to Pm me since I do know where you're at. :)

speedo
02-09-09, 06:42 PM
another thing is that often people say AS when they mean asperger's syndrome, so don't let it confuse you. Also, the term "autism spectrum" is a term used when talking about pervasive developmental disorders in general. The term "autism spectrum" is not a diagnosis, but Asperger's syndrome or asperger's disorder IS a diagnosis and it happens to fall in the autism spectrum.

Me :D

r0manescu
02-10-09, 04:19 PM
I'm 22 years old, and there is one thing I have to say about autistic spectrum, because I have it: If your kid has it, make sure you provide what he needs to fully compliment his unique interests or abilities. And watch out for things like videogames that allows him to withdraw and escape from the real world.