View Full Version : Understanding of ADHD Coaching

Tara
02-07-09, 09:09 PM
I'm curious as to what people's understanding of ADHD Coaching or an ADHD Coach is. I know when this forum first started a over 5 years ago there was bit of a disconnect when it came to ADHD Coaching and the online ADD Community. I wonder if it's improved at all in the past few year.

What do you think the job of an ADHD Coach is?

What type of results do you expect from an ADHD Coach?

How often to expect to communicate / meet with an ADHD Coach?

What type of education/training do you expect an ADHD Coach to have?

How much do you expect to pay for ADHD Coaching services?

PaulyD
02-09-09, 04:07 AM
My insurance company has never heard of an add coach, is willing to provide it becuase my doctor suggested it along with other tools that may help.

Any knowledge i have gotten about add coaches and what they offer is from various websites including this one. From what i recall my doctor saying, an add coach will help you maintain your short term and long term goals and helping you find ways to achieve them.

How often i would be in contact with them would be directly related to the money i was willing to spare for such expense. i would think minimum once a week and starting out every other day or something.

Formal education is important for my insurance company, not so much myself. I would expect them to be familiar with A.D.D and have experiance with helping others. Personality and ways the coach deals with the issues is the important part in my opinion.

I am unsure if i will be using an add coach, if i do i will let you know the process from my point of view.

Infinity
11-01-09, 08:45 PM
Im surprised to see so few responses to your post.

I don't know what to expect .
recently I was wondering if they have group therapy or coaching for those with ADHD.
I looked into hiring a professional organizer back in 2006 and it was a hundred dollars an hour.

I can't afford that.

But I can't afford to not get help.

I found one group about an hour away . It was not a therapy group it was self help I belive. That was a year ago.

I would look at some of the notes from past doctors and therapists . . commnets That I needed to focus on one thing at a time .
but they gave me no help in how I was to do that.

Infinity~

Michiko74
02-26-10, 06:14 PM
What do you think the job of an ADHD Coach is?
First thing; an ADHD coach has to have the knowledge and understanding of the condition itself. That means they are aware of the signs and symptoms of inattentive and hyperactive ADHD. They are aware of how ADHD impacts an invidual's ability to communicate and to learn new things.

Beyond the bare basics...

- I see my coach a cheerleader, but who is able to give me practical advice rather than just to 'shove sunshine' if catch my drift.

-Someone that I can discuss my feelings, thoughts, etc. but won't analyize them like a therapist.

What type of results do you expect from an ADHD Coach?
I expect that the coaching will enable me to accomplish a particular goal. That may mean learning a new skill, or carrying me through a project to completion.

How often to expect to communicate / meet with an ADHD Coach?
This would depend on the ADHDer and the goal they want to accomplish. For me, I'd like to meet face to face once a week, with the opiton of emailing or phoning should I have any questions. Again, maybe another ADHDer may need more frequent contact via phone, with no face to face meetings.

What type of education/training do you expect an ADHD Coach to have?
I'm not sure about formal education per se. Minimally, I expect they've taken classes on coaching. I would like to know that they frequently attend workshops to upgrade their skills.

How much do you expect to pay for ADHD Coaching services?
I can't remember what my coach charged, but I thought it was pretty decent.