View Full Version : I need therapy but can't afford it

superstressed
02-08-09, 01:50 PM
Hello everyone!
I was recently diagnosed with ADD-innattentive by my family doctor. I also suffer from anxiety and major depressive disorder. I have missed so many days from work due to my illness that my job has given me a written warning and told me that my attendance has to improve drastically or I will be terminated. This has upset me greatly. I've seen a few psychiatrists in my area, but most of them like to keep me sedated and not give me helpful tips to survive in the workplace. I need to see a doctor that can prescribe meds and counsel at the same time. I cannot afford several copays to several different doctors, or lose any more time from work. Are there any online counseling services that are free or take insurance? I hate my job tremendously and I'm in the process of looking for another one. The only problem is that I live in a small town where jobs are not plentiful. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Tara
02-08-09, 02:47 PM
Have you looked into Vocational Rehab yet?

QueensU_girl
02-08-09, 03:26 PM
Stimulants can make Anxiety worse. Depression too.

What things from your past and present have conditioned you to be primed for stress, do you think? Much anxiety is 'conditioned' (caused by things that have happened in the past).

superstressed
02-08-09, 03:35 PM
Tara,
What is Vocational Rehab?

superstressed
02-08-09, 04:48 PM
Well Queens, I'll try not to make this a long post.

I grew up in a home with overprotective parents who argued EVERY single day. They even slept in separate bedrooms. They always said that they stayed married for me, but I didn't see the benefit of that. I'm 33 and they're still married today. I don't know why. I am they youngest, which has good and bad benefits. In my case, mostly bad. I wasn't allowed to do much outside of the home because of older siblings messing up and getting into trouble. That automatically meant that I was going to do the same thing.

Anyway, when I turned 18 and graduated high school I was so anxious to get of the house, so I attended the first college away from home that accepted me. It was rough because they weren't really supportive and money was tight. If I didn't do what they wanted (choose a certain profession, live with them until I'm 60)-especially my dad, I didn't get any support, which meant I was bound to fail because I had no help.

Somehow I managed to graduate and get my Associates Degree. It was in the entertainment industry-something that I really loved. I lived with my brother in the same big city where I attended college and that turned out to be disastrous. He had a family and domestic and drug problems and I didn't want to be surrounded by that. I had no place to go, so I had to go back to my parents house in my small little dump of a town with no opportunities.

Once I moved back, my parents were happy, but I was miserable. They were still the same fighting parents that I had left two years before. Nothing changed. I couldn't find a job in my field because there are no opportunities for anything in my town. The only thing I could get into was trouble, and that's exactly what I did. I was depressed and started drinking. I drank for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was trying to drown my sorrows in a bottle of liquor.

While drinking my life away I ended up in a few horrible relationships that depressed me even more. Two years later I met my future husband while I was trying to relocate to another state. I got pregnant and that put everything on hold once again. I wasn't ready to have a child, but I must admit, finding my husband and getting pregnant saved my life whether I was ready for family life or not. I quit drinking immediately and moved out of my parents house (another lifesaver) and prepared myself for my new family.

I guess sometimes I resent having a family because can't move to a better city and have the kind of career I always wanted. My husband has been at his job almost 17 years and there's no way he's going to relocate and lose all of his seniority and rank at his high-paying, secure job. I work for a horrible company and it doesn't look like things are going to get better for me.

Every morning I get up and dread going to work. I feel sick to my stomach as soon as I drive into the parking lot. My boss dislikes me and I dislike her and the company as a whole. Eveything is unfair and she plays favorites. Working with the public is also a turnoff. Customers complain about everything.

As far as stimulants go, when I first started taking it a few months ago, I felt like a new person. I think when it wears off, I get irritated and cranky. I believe they call that crashing. My boss and I had a disagreement last Friday and I had a panic attack. That has been the first in about three months. I get so mad, I feel my blood pressure going up and then the attack starts. I feel like this job is killing me.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I had to give you as much information as I could.

superstressed
02-19-09, 11:52 AM
If anyone has any advice , I'd really appreciate it. I'm a basket case right now.

lostinconverstn
02-23-09, 01:15 AM
Hobbies. ie. Making crafts, which can help you meet yourself.

It's not about what happens in life that matters, it's about how we react to them

quallagirl
03-05-09, 11:27 AM
I am in the same situation. I have all of these problems you mention. I am suppose to meet with a manager from the vocational rehab. I hope he can help me find a job that fits my needs. You can always try that. Just look in the phone book or maybe call DSS to see if there is one in your area. I am also going to get re-evaluated for my anxiety and ADD. They may do the same for you depending on when you were diagnosed.

Tonya

quallagirl
03-05-09, 11:31 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that my medicaid ran out. I am no longer getting therapy or meds. The other night, I was so stressed that I thought about taking my sons. I then started thinking that I didn't want to do that with my son. Some places offer cheap health insurence besides medicaid depending on were you live. Good luck to you.

Tonya

lespaulguy
03-07-09, 04:16 AM
Superstressed,

Your story really touched me as I'm applying to internships in college right now and it's a brutal market. I also have ADHD and it's been driving me insane since the start of school 2 1/2 years ago that I just can't concentrate on my work and I can't express how much sadness and frustration it's brought me.

I'm not yet familiar with what resources are out there in the working world, do not know much about insurance policies and so forth...but I want to try my best in giving you a few suggestions.

Have you heard of Pete Quily? He's an online ADD coach and from what it seems, he's very reputable because he has the credentials and has been coaching for a while now.
Check out the website here: http://www.addcoach4u.com/adhd-coaching/coachability.html

Also, I'd recommend in general doing more search on Google for ADHD coaching materials. There are DVD's you can buy, books, and software programs specifically related to ADHD coaching.

A flood of information is often the case with searching Google and you and no one can know priorhand what helps or not so remember stay strong and you'll have to trial and error this. ADD people tend to jump around from one thing to another be sure to give whatever you try enough time.

I know you may personally feel very angry about the poor results of medication and whatever other resources you may have tried so far but I've heard several times from my psychiatrist that with the right medication or combination of meds, improvement can be significant. Given the multitude of ADHD stimulants, antidepressants, and meds in other categories, this can take a bit of trial and error.

I'm sorry about your job! I'm just glad that you're making the right decision to find a new one. By the way, Pete's website has a lot of info on worklife and ADHD.

Please feel free to message me privately as I may miss your post if you respond to me in this thread.

Hang in there!
Lespauldude

superstressed
06-16-09, 09:11 PM
I know this is going to sound like a surprise to you, but I used to be an Ameriplan Regional Sales Director. I quit because I just couldn't give it the time it needed for me to become successful and also, I'm not a people person. It just wasn't for me. I finally got some insurance and I currently pay a $20 a week copay. It's still hurting my pockets because I see other doctors, but I'm hoping the therapist will start stretching the sessions to once a month.

Sandy4957
06-17-09, 12:34 AM
Superstressed,

If you feel that the therapist is helping, I'd urge you to consider once per week. Once per month is very infrequent. I have graduated to that frequency after about two years of more frequent therapy. This is my second serious go at therapy, the first having been very successful, as well. (I know, it doesn't sound like it's successful if I'm still going, but there was a bit of ground to cover... :o). I saw that therapist once per week most weeks for about a year.

Anyway, fwiw, I think that you might find that you save in the long run if you go more frequently early on.

Retromancer
06-17-09, 01:23 AM
I swear we must live in different worlds. Did anyone see this post? Or was it simply too much of a downer to bother replying to?

Tonya contact your states DVR. You just might wiggle some therapy and meds out of them, beside job placement. (As I have...) See what medical services your county offers. If necessary claim you're homeless if that will expedite matters. Say whatever they want to hear. Good luck and stay in touch!

Now I need to take off for my $9.50/hour janitorial job -- the only work I have been able to get recently...

ADHD is only an "advantage" if you're earning over $27K a year...

Oh I forgot to mention that my medicaid ran out. I am no longer getting therapy or meds. The other night, I was so stressed that I thought about taking my sons. I then started thinking that I didn't want to do that with my son. Some places offer cheap health insurence besides medicaid depending on were you live. Good luck to you.

Tonya

dololly
06-18-09, 10:48 PM
Try asking your employer. Some companies offer EPA (I can't remember what it stands for..LOL). EPA can be used for pretty much anything. The only thing is that you have to use a doctor that is on the EPA list. Most employees will offer 2 or 3 free-bees and then after that, the rate gets cut lower than the doctot's "normal" rate. I have used EPA for my ADD coach, it saved me so much money. If for some reason your employee does not offer EPA, try a christian based organization. If you don't make a lot of money, some christian based organizations may lower your rate according to your salary. Hope this helps.

Kristina00
10-29-09, 10:21 AM
It is really the truth that a therapy cost so much these days. One day I was even looking at the prices of therapy and online therapy it is very expensive "pleasure", however maybe it is possible to help for myself. Let’s say sometimes I suffer from low-self esteem issue. I know that lost of people complain about it, but really it doesn’t help me to feel happier. So I decided to make an experiment, I start to write the blog, and even I made the 7 days experiment when I will try some tips to boost my self-esteem, btw if you are interested in my progress :(;), you can visit me in this side:

trishcan
10-29-09, 02:11 PM
Most places offer a discount to patients without insurance paying cash. In the beginning it could be expensive when finding out the right combination of meds or whatever because you need to come in more often, but I've found that I only need to see my pdoc 3-4 times a year (and pay 85 cash each time). I've also found that being medicated appropriately helps me work more hours and make much more money than I could if I were not being treated.