View Full Version : No ADHD Support Group in Area

kettish
02-09-09, 10:43 AM
There are absolutely NO ADHD support groups in Fayetteville!! Argh! The nearest ones are 1 hr 15 min away, or 2 hours away.

I was thinking about trying to get one started here, but I don't know if I'm exactly qualified, lol. I just got diagnosed about a month ago, still don't know a whole lot about ADD/ADHD beyond what I've read in Sari Solden's book and Driven to Distraction, and I'm moving soon.

Any ideas? Think I should just go ahead and get it going, or bite the bullet and drive forever and a day once or twice a month (since that's all I'll be able to afford)?

kettish
02-10-09, 10:27 PM
I went ahead and said, what the heck? Might as well! I started a Meetup group here in Fayetteville for ADD/ADHD. :)

Wish us luck! Anyone have ideas as to activities, etc.? I've never managed a group before, lol.

Aven
02-11-09, 09:15 AM
Hi If you get the chance keep posting with your efforts I live in the boonies in South Jersey and the nearest group I have found is about an hour away - I would like to start something local also

kettish
02-14-09, 01:15 AM
Only one member has signed up so far, even though there were about 28 people who had written that they were 'interested' in a group being formed!

Unfortunately, the only member (we'll call him Mr. M) travels Mondays, the day I had scheduled the first meeting to be. So in light of the fact that nobody in the group will be attending...I'm rescheduling. LOL.

kettish
02-25-09, 11:38 AM
Urgh. Still only one member. I wonder how long it usually takes people to sign up for these meetup groups...? There were several dozen people listed as 'waiting for a group to start' when I began, but only the one that has actually joined! What am I doing wrong?

Anyone willing to go look at it and see if I put something off-putting in there???

(Go to meetup.com and look up ADHD for Fayetteville, NC. Our group should be the only one that pops up. Thank you ahead of time!!!)

firstdesserts
02-25-09, 11:47 AM
Just remember you're taking on a job that's harder than nailing a bowl of Jello to a tree. It's going to take a while. Kudos to you!!!!!

kettish
02-25-09, 12:00 PM
LMAO!!! Love that line. Thanks, hopefully it'll pick up soon! I'm due to move around August so I'd like to get the group in gear and at least partially self-sufficient so someone else can take over without too much difficulty. :P

addontheweb
03-02-09, 12:54 AM
I live in NYC... I am a member of the manhattan adult ad support group:)

wairoa777
03-09-09, 10:36 PM
I would definitely attend if I had one in my area. There is a group a couple of hours from where I live.

kettish
03-10-09, 12:09 AM
Only one person has joined now, and I can't afford to pay for a group that isn't doing anything. :( I guess I know why there wasn't a group here, then...weird!

Oh well. Nothing risked nothing gained and all that, yeah? And I'm only out about thirty bucks. Worth the possible gain. :P

poprocksandcoke
03-10-09, 05:52 PM
meetup has never worked out for me either. If you're still trying to start a group, you could try advertising it other places (classifieds, pennysaver, craigslist, etc.) that might reach more people. I found a group in my area that I've been attending for a few months now, and it is definitely worth it.

kettish
03-11-09, 12:16 AM
I wish, but I'm moving in a month or so anyway, so it wouldn't be worth the effort to get something running here.

Love the Kerouac quote btw, I have a fridge magnet with his one about people who burn. ;) Something like, The people for me are the mad ones...