View Full Version : Autism help?

ADHDKylee
02-14-09, 09:44 PM
I help in a special needs class, during their gym period, and I was wondering if there are some things I should know about Autism or just any helpful hints that I should know? I want to learn some stuff about it all.. I am somewhat fearful that my ADHD will get in the way of helping them.. Help, maybe?

Crazygirl79
02-15-09, 08:37 PM
Google it and you'll get load of information.

Selena

PinkRoxy
02-25-09, 03:17 AM
I help in a special needs class, during their gym period, and I was wondering if there are some things I should know about Autism or just any helpful hints that I should know? I want to learn some stuff about it all.. I am somewhat fearful that my ADHD will get in the way of helping them.. Help, maybe?

NO WAY your ADD should get in the way of looking after special needs kids as I use to help out (volunteer) in a special needs class at school as part of giving to the service. I have ADD and I never got judged for it I was great working with them too as I was empathetic and supportive towards kids like that and I also tried to understand them more than what most of the normal type people would try and do.

However I looked after a couple of girls with autism they were mild as they could talk and communicate in fact one of them got quite attached to me and we had a lot of fun as I would always goof around to make them laugh. Anyhow working with autistic children is interesting as they tend to like the one and same activity day after day after day as this girl always liked to play Ludo and when we always suggested something else she only wanted to play Ludo. Also sometimes they get over excited and carried away. They like to play awkwardly for example I remember an autistic child would use a rubber duckie as a toy car and drove it on the ground making a broom noise. They are generally fun kids to work with but also challenging.