View Full Version : How does Abilify affect serotonin?

netsavy006
02-18-09, 02:13 PM
I'd like to know how does Abilify affect serotonin in the brain (at least supposedly). I noticed my anxiety/panic increase since the Lexapro was dropped and I was told by a pdoc from the PHP program a long time ago that Abilify would help my panic attacks but unfortunately it doesn't. I don't know his thinking on it but my assumption was something with the serotonin transports or something of that nature. That's why I'm curious about how Abilify affects serotonin. I read from another site it has agonist and antagonist activity at specific receptors but I didn't understand the 'vocab'...

I know agonist means increase and antagonist is to block or decrease.

With the agonist, how is it increasing it? Does it send more out or is it preventing reuptake like with the SSRIs?

willzzz
11-28-10, 04:34 AM
It really helped me as my depression and craziness went away. Problem is the drug is expensive as hell ($487 for 30 pills without insurance...). Yeah... Good luck...

AddaptAbilities
12-10-10, 04:34 PM
Thanks for kicking this back up and commenting. I was just put on Abilify (2 mgs, started yesterday) to be taken with 50 mgs Zoloft and 70 mgs Vyvanse. I have no idea what to expect, so I'm reading everything I can in this forum. Thanks all.

ironmountain
12-19-10, 02:33 AM
I'm in same boat...first was 30mg XR Adderall 2x/day, 80mg celexa and 50mg then 100mg of Seroquel at dinner...the Seroquel proved to basically just knock me out so we switched to Abilify this past week.... I'm waiting til I hit the dose pdoc wants me to get to before I call him to let him know how I'm feeling etc...

buddy
12-19-10, 03:49 PM
I have been on 30mgs.daily of Abilify & it has changed my life.My mood swings & depression is no longer a problem.I know it's very expensive but you can apply for the
patient assistance program if you meet the financial requirements as I do:
Bristol-Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation,Inc.,Abilify Patient Assistance Program,
P.O.Box 8309
Somerville,NJ 08876 Tele#(800)736-0003
Hope this helps!
buddy

Yellow
01-14-11, 12:04 PM
as a 5ht1a partial agonist, it releives anxiety. serotonin-1a is the primary target for anxiety meds like ssris and buspar. so abilify makes the body produce or i should say release more 5ht1a serotonin and thats why it helps anxiety

sKeTchyKk
11-23-11, 01:46 AM
I just began taking abilify X 5mg in addition to celexa X 40mg (also take adderall X 40-80mg and neurontin X 2000-2400mg)...

LYF BYON BIPOLR
12-11-11, 04:26 AM
Abilify primarily works on dopamine and also some on serotonin. These pretty much work in the body like a see-saw. As one goes up the other goes down. The goal is to have these in balance. Abilify is an inhibitor of both dopamine and serotonin basically making more of it avail to use.

never2late
01-02-12, 03:49 AM
So if I am on say Effexor and am feeling emotional numbness, lack of my add meds working, low dose of abilify might be good for me to make more Dopamine available to my frontal cortex for use so I dont feel like a POS anymore?

Sorry I have been having a hard time getting thru my day while on effexor. I am taking my add meds but they arnt working was well as before.

But abilify could potentially help my making more dopamine available for use thus making my add meds work again?