View Full Version : What kind of medication do you take for ADHD/GAD mix?

yasemin
02-19-09, 03:37 PM
hello :) My name is Yasemin and I (of course) have adult ADHD and anxiety. I take Zoloft to keep that at bay, but am trying to take Ritalin to help with the ADHD. I love it ... (here comes the but) but when it starts to wear off.. wow... its horrible! Disoriented..confused... i feel like my brain is about to explode... My doctor here in Dalton is super cheap and doesn't believe in medicines that aren't 4.00 or less, so I am STUCK on this generic Ritalin 20mg SR. I do wonderfully on this medicine but get waayyy too much anxiety with it when it wears off. Do any of you have luck with any of the ADHD medicines NOT aggravating your anxiety?

thank you :)

Yasemin:):p:D

netsavy006
02-19-09, 04:44 PM
I wish I could be of help but I had the same problems with Zoloft and Ritalin LA. I would take the Zoloft 50mg & Ritalin LA 10mg in the morning and I would have increased anxiety and when I was taken off of Ritalin LA, the anxiety went away. Sometimes stimulants can increase your anxiety. They only thing that I can suggest is that sometimes they add clonodine but I don't know if that would work for anxiety. That's more for hyperactivity. I use to take clonodine but it made me yawn all day long even @ a low .025mg dosage taken all @ bedtime. I wish I could be of more help but that was my experience, but I liked Zoloft by itself for anxiety. I'd still be on it if it didn't cause me to have manic episodes...

At about what time does the Ritalin SR start to wear off?

Scarletta
02-19-09, 10:10 PM
I take Adderall IRs, 60 mg a day, Lexapro, 20 mgs a day (just upped from 10 mg), and Klonopin, 1.5 mg a day. The last two being for anxiety. I find this to work very well. Although Lexapro is an antidepressant first it also is good for anxiety, long term, after the meds kick in after a few weeks. Klonopin is a benzo that is primarily for panic disorder, it prevents it in me. Takes effect very quickly, almost immediately after taking it.

yasemin
02-19-09, 10:55 PM
thank you for your answer! What you are doing would work for me since I am FINE as long as i can take a tiny dose of Ativan to stop the withdrawal/rebound effect. Unfortunately my doctor thinks those 'minor' withdrawls are just things to suffer through daily. LOL Thank you again!

yasemin
02-19-09, 10:57 PM
I find that Ritalin Sr (Methylin ER) wears off around noon for me. I take it at 7am, so roughly about five hours before the 'fog' rolls in.. LOL thank you for your answer :)

Scarletta
02-20-09, 01:12 AM
You're welcome! Do you have Ativan now or won't your doctor prescribe it?

yasemin
02-21-09, 10:03 AM
My doctor angrily wrote me an rx for it when I told her the anxiety that I was having... so for now yes :) I'm REALLY glad I found this message board because truly I am on my own for all of this and you guys are a great help

Ridgerunner
08-24-09, 02:06 AM
For co-morbid A.D.D (inattentive type) and G.A.D. :
Barr Generic Dexedrine Spansule 15mg. (upon awakening) plus
Barr Generic Adderal 10 mg. (upon awakening)
Barr Generic Adderal 10 mg. (between 1PM and 3PM)
Pliva Generic Atarax 10mg. x 2 (between 8PM and 10PM) a/k/a hydroxyzine
Curaco Generic Ambien 10 mg. (bedtime) a/k/a zolpidem
Note: If I experience extreme anxiety with agitation in the late
afternoon, or evening, I sometimes substitute one 10 mg. Valium,
(generic diazepam by Watson) instead of my evening dose of 10mg
Curaco Generic Ambien. (Once or twice per week on average)

hollywood
09-02-09, 04:12 PM
is lexapro sedating and will it cause weight gain. Two things I don't desire.

Trooper Keith
09-02-09, 06:17 PM
is lexapro sedating and will it cause weight gain. Two things I don't desire.

Lexapro is commonly associated with somnolence (drowsiness/sedation) but not with weight gain.

hollywood
09-03-09, 04:55 PM
so would lexapro negate the adhd stimulant from being effective? and is cymbalta less likely or more apt to cause sedation vs lexapro? Also would taking wellbutrin along with the lexapro balance out the possible sedation that lexapro would induce , thus leading adhd coverage + no anxiety ( stimulant ) + ( lexapro ) + ( wellbutrin -"for sedation) =success?

dinosaur jr
09-03-09, 06:54 PM
currently i'm taking: adderall IR 10 mg twice-a-day. xanax 0.5 mg As needed (although, it might be switching to valium soon). This is the first school year, that i've been on this particular combination and so far it seems to be pretty affective. But, i'm expecting further titration throughout the year, maybe even adding an SSRI.

jayblaze2
10-10-09, 01:22 AM
I take dezedrine and klonopin

attic
10-16-09, 07:51 PM
I take dezedrine and klonopin

How is that working for you?

I'm just taking klonopin at the moment.

adhdishere01
10-22-09, 01:26 AM
I take dexedrine and klonopin --- sometimes xanax depending on panic situation

RestlessAbbey
10-25-09, 04:26 PM
What about Buspar?

slowlygoincrazy
10-25-09, 07:04 PM
i take adderall 30-40 mg ir daily and was taking buspar... but i noticed each night i was nauseated and didn't feel any less anxious just a odder type of anxiety so i stopped. has anyone found something that works well with adderall without causing more anxiety...
thanks glad to know I'm not the only one who has adhd/gad

RestlessAbbey
10-25-09, 07:13 PM
i take adderall 30-40 mg ir daily and was taking buspar... but i noticed each night i was nauseated and didn't feel any less anxious just a odder type of anxiety so i stopped. has anyone found something that works well with adderall without causing more anxiety...
thanks glad to know I'm not the only one who has adhd/gad

I found this...
I think this doctor suggests taking this med along w/the buspar? Im not sure but I read this page recently and thought of it when I read your post. I dont know anything else about it though.
http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/BuSpar_anxious.htm

ButterflyLady
08-25-10, 09:18 PM
Paxil 30mg QAM

Adderall 10mg TID (three times per day), plus 2 cups tea in am

Along with 1-2 mg Valium PRN -
I find that I need 1mg Valium minimum...but, am very sensitize to it, so even going to 1.5mg can make a huge difference.

Naussicaa
09-02-10, 07:51 PM
Adderall IR -Most fun and energetic.
Dexedrine ER -Side effects almost nonexistent, effects subtle and weak.
Klonopin -Weak feeling, subtle, long lasting anxiety blocker.

sprite
09-04-10, 12:47 PM
I take Ritalin SR for ADD and then I just started taking Cipralex (Lexapro) for anxiety. So far the cipralex is helping a bit with the anxiety but I'm experiencing what I think might be a weird side effect from the med (muscle aches??) and if it is going to continue I might have to try something else. Other than this weird possible side effect, cipralex combined with the SR has been a pretty good experience so far.

(also just wanted to say I haven't experienced weight gain or sedation from the cipralex/lexapro--to the contrary I've found it to make me feel a little more alert, awake, energetic and initially it gave me insomnia which has since resolved)

hollywood
09-04-10, 05:45 PM
I had the same experience with lexapro, geez. I love working out not sure if I can deal with having my muscles feel weird while I workout

Kay.
09-06-10, 06:01 PM
I was taking Dexedrine and Effexor-primarily for anxiety. The combination worked much better for me than Adderral and Effexor but I hated the side effects of Effexor and wanted to go off of it after around 2 years of taking it, once I was properly diagnosed with ADD. Now I am just taking Dexedrine but I feel like my emotions are not regulated, I am anxious and I need to find another drug with few side effects to deal with anxiety. I had an extreme adverse affect to Zoloft and became extremely suicidal, ended up in a psyc ward, and it was extremely scary. I'm looking for something more for anxiety now that I have been properly diagnosed with ADD, with less side effects than Effexor. Will talk with my Psychiatrist, who is great but not experienced with ADD, and see what he thinks. Any suggestions?

JenSMP
09-08-10, 01:17 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but if your adhd med is wearing off by noon, why not take a second dose of instant release ritalin around lunchtime to get you through the rest of the day. At least you wouldn't get the rebound until evening and would get a longer benefit from your adhd med.

If you doctor is determined that you should take the short acting instant release ritalin, he should be willing to let you take it more than once a day. I assume you have ADHD all day and not just the first 5 hours of the day, right? ; )

I doubt your "rebound" symptoms are due to your anti-anxiety meds. You'd likely have those even if you were only taking the Ritalin.

Rebelyell
09-08-10, 02:35 PM
What helps me tremendously and this isnt a plug for the pharmacutical companies either.LOL I take 40 mg celexa an 300 timed release of wellbutrin.I told dr I Some days I was feeling quite euphoric and she said maybe the 1 I forgot which 1 I think it was the wellbutrin she wanted to lower the dosage and I was like NO NO NO I cant Im doing so well,I cant have progressed halted right now laughing Im doing so well that I dont want to tamper w a good thing and she left it alone.JEEZ I couldnt get it out fast enough

hollywood
09-08-10, 09:26 PM
What time do you take wellbutrin and what time do you take celexa? Is this in addition to your stimulants? What is better cymbalta or celexa, has it given u weight gain ?

hollywood
09-13-10, 10:43 PM
Hello

mal2010
09-27-10, 01:27 AM
Hollywood--
I just so happen to have taken the exact combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin with a stimulant for ADHD. In my case, it was Vyvanse, but Adderall XR and Vyvanse have worked almost exactly the same for me. Inititally, I started Lexapro 10mg after considering I might be depressed and the first week or two I had trouble falling and staying asleep but I found that I would need a nap in the afternoon. However, if I wasn't on holiday from school and doing nothing, I may not have needed one. After a while, I found that Lexapro had no real side effects except for decreased/absent libido. I also didn't notice any effect on my anxiety levels or mood. At this time, I was taking a break from stimulants. After a couple weeks or so, I saw a new psychiatrist who upped my dose of Lexapro to 20mg and added Wellbutrin generic--Bupropion 150mg XL after diagnosing me with anxiety/OCD tendencies. His reasoning behind this was "SSRI's and SNRI's work well on anxiety when taken independently, however, when you put an SSRI and an SNRI together, they seem to be especially effective for anxiety." So, I took those two together for a while and noticed a slight improvement in anxiety. I started taking Vyvanse 30mg maybe a month or two after adding Wellbutrin and the Vyvanse worked exactly as it had before taking any other meds in combination with it. I took all three at about the same time every morning when I first woke up. I typically take a short break between refilling stimulant scripts, but I always kept up with the Bupropion/Lexapro. I did this for probably 5 months and the anxiety was better, but looking back, I think that it made me apathetic. I wasn't worried about turning schoolwork in or anything. Without meds, I'm just a generally anxious/worried person. My typical day would always include a mild anxious feeling. Sometimes it would be worse, sometimes I would let it build and have a little meltdown, but I was mostly able to cope. Since I've been taking JUST a stimulant for the past 3-4 months, I've come to realize that it may not have been the Lexapro/Wellbutrin that was making me apathetic, but instead depending on a stimulant to get me in the mood to do any work.

So, to answer your questions simply, from my own experience:
- Lexapro did not negate the effectiveness of my ADHD stimulant.
- Since I didn't have any sedative-like effects with either Lexapro or Lexapro plus Wellbutrin, I can't say whether or not adding Wellbutrin would help with sedation.
- Anti-depressants are much better in general about not causing drowsiness in a patient than a typical anti-anxiety like benzodiazepines are.
- Lexapro plus Wellbutrin together were effective for my GAD, but I can't say there was a noticeable difference for social anxiety, phobias, or mild OCD. I actually began compulsively skin picking, but I blame that on the stimulant. However, these two should have helped the stimulant-induced anxiety that made me compulsively pick, in theory.

Right now I'm taking Vyvanse and Buspirone for anxiety. I haven't started the Buspirone on a regular basis, only a few times to help me sleep since the anxiety from Vyvanse keeps me up, but, I want to say it helps. It softens the effect of the stimulant and if taken close enough to the end of my daily dose, I will get sleepy.

hollywood
09-27-10, 12:43 PM
That's good news. I am taking a small dose of lex adding to wellbutrin along with my ADHD meds. Even 2.5mg of lex takes the edge off. I get some cloudiness initially I think it will go away. I wonder why you stopped the lex well combo if it helped with no se's

Canadian4Life
10-09-10, 11:02 PM
zoloft and ritalin.

davoidone
02-12-11, 04:50 PM
I take Vyvanse and Klonopin for Adult ADD/ADHD and Anxiety/Panic disorder and Remeron at night for depression. This combination works well as the Vyvanse is long acting and I take
.5 mg of Klonopin 3X a day. Now somedays I wish the Vyvanse lasted longer. It claims to
work from 10-12 up to 14 hours. I have yet to see that happen. It is more like 5-7 hours and 8 at best. But it works. No anxiety , Focus and concentration is great when the Vyvanse is working and the Remeron at night lets you ease into a good nights sleep. No crash from the Vyvanse and have not had a panic attack since I started this combination.

dixiepeep
02-12-11, 08:33 PM
Risperdal Vyvance

hopehope
02-12-11, 08:49 PM
adderall

alkalineashes
02-12-11, 11:09 PM
just started 60 mg dextrostat, .5kpins twice a day and currently transitioning from lexapro to zoloft, hoping it will be less foggy. Was on 60 mg with adderall but my anxiety started to take control

FaithofLeap
02-18-11, 03:35 PM
I am taking Concerta, Zoloft and Clonidine. Combo is working great for me. I also take fish oil and vitamin D.

hollywood
02-18-11, 04:07 PM
focalin, intuniv, wellbutrin xl. I was doing the ssri's , I had alot of partial responses but the ground I gained probably wasn't worth the ground I was losing. I was less accurate and just kind of there but not all the way. Lexapro or celexa have been most tolerable to date. I am going to see how the intuniv manages, my goal is for it to just eliminate some of the naggy side effects from the stimulants. From that point I should be more apt to drop my doses from time to time. We will see.