View Full Version : Question- ADHD and IQ levels

RedSkittles
02-21-09, 07:14 PM
Hi guys. I was just wwondering if kids with ADHD often have a high or low IQ? Just curiouse :]

speedo
02-21-09, 08:19 PM
Some people with adhd have high IQ's. Some do not. As a group, people with adhd score a little lower in IQ than the general population. It's a disorder ya know...

It turns out that a lot of people with adhd have perfoprmance IQ that is a bit lower than their verbal IQ and that tends to reduce the overall IQ. Myself I have a high IQ, but I also have a 20 point drop in my performance IQ as compared to my verbal IQ, and that reduces my overall IQ significantly. This is sort of typical for ADDers...

Me :D

Hi guys. I was just wwondering if kids with ADHD often have a high or low IQ? Just curiouse :]

mctavish23
02-21-09, 08:21 PM
The range of IQ scores with ADHD literally, "runs the gamut" between Mild MR to Genius.

The difference in scores without medication drops approximately 7-9 points.

ADHD individual's who don't take meds,also score lower on achievement tests.

Thanks for raising this question.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

bilbogates98
02-21-09, 09:48 PM
I've taken an official IQ test twice in my life, both times administered by a professional such as a psychiatrist, and both times on adhd meds.

For synthetic tests like IQ tests the meds work great. They improved my short term memory and ability to concentrate, as well as gave me faster thinking speed/reaction timing. Time is an important factor for scores on IQ tests.

Me, i scored 133 when i was 8 years old, and 136 when I was 16.

RedSkittles
02-21-09, 10:01 PM
Bilbo, i agree with you, meds DO help a lot with tests. I took an OGT (Ohio graduation test) and it help a lot :D

QueensU_girl
02-21-09, 10:29 PM
I don't think ADD affects IQ scores. It's not the same as mental retardation.

bilbogates98
02-21-09, 11:14 PM
Bilbo, i agree with you, meds DO help a lot with tests. I took an OGT (Ohio graduation test) and it help a lot :D

Its not only diagnosed adhd kids that are reaping all this benefit from adhd meds. Unfortunately there are news report after news report after news report of regular college students taking the adhd medications during exams and such and reaping similar benefit. They've also become a major in the corporate world.

Seriously though, for anyone who is reading this who doesn't have adhd don't do it, its against the law & against forum rules, and you could potentially harm yourself with improper usage.

wsmac
02-22-09, 12:38 AM
I was told I score higher than average (the report says, "superior overall intellectual abilites"), but that does little good when I can't squeeze hard enough to get even a significant drop of the stuff out of my old greying melon so other people can see!:mad: :p

My daughter's IQ came out higher than mine... but I told the doc I'd sue her if she told my daughter that she was SMARTER than me!:cool: :D

Awww... I can't keep on lying... my daughter knows her score is higher than mine... but at least I still reign over her... most of the time... :o

noodlzzz
02-22-09, 06:57 AM
From what I cna remember reading, there is no colleration between IQ and ADHD, only there actual scores may be a bit higher than when tested due to ability to miss details and not concentrate.

Squishey
02-22-09, 02:09 PM
When i have taken iq tests, i have scored anywhere from 120-135
I just did a gifted abilities evalutation test, and scored in the 99 precentile in two catagories. I dont feel smart, but apparently i am.

Zara
02-23-09, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know anything about different iq on left and right side of the brain? Is it usual. I scored different on left and right side, and they said that the iq usually was the same on both sides..