View Full Version : Sensitivity to noise and alarms

Marspider
02-22-09, 09:05 AM
Hi, does anyone have any good suggestions for someone like me who is sensitive to noise? I HATE regular alarms. HATE them. That beeping sound in the morning raises my blood pressure, and I wake up with my heart racing. Not because I have to wake up, but because of the beep beep sound.
I use my cell phone for the mo but since I carry it everywhere, I sometimes forget to set my alarm.
Is there an alarm that gently nudges you out.

wifeandmom
02-22-09, 11:16 AM
There are several different ones available in the US that have options for the sound. I have one that has chimes like a church tower that gets gradually louder. It has options for other sounds too and also for a second annoying alarm that can be set at a different time. The ones I've seen are electric clock radios, not just clocks. My DD has one that also has a CD player and the CD plays as the alarm. I imagine you could find something similar in larger stores in the UK. Look in the stereo/TV section of the store, not with the plain alarm clocks.

You might want to set this "gentle" alarm to go off first to gradually wake you up. Then have the annoying alarm somewhere across the room to go off about 10 minutes after the gentle alarm, just in case the first one is TOO gentle.

kgymn
08-09-09, 02:46 PM
I am the same way- the alarm going off makes me more likely to actually just go back to sleep cause it puts me in such a horrid mood from being so dang irritating!!! I also use my cell phone- mine has the option to have the alarm repeat daily or M-F. I set 2 for M-F about 5 min apart, and then leave the third one free for if I need to set one for the weekends.

What I used to do in college was I had my stereo set up by my bed, and I had it set to turn on at a certain time. I had it set to play a CD, and sometimes I'd not really wake up till halfway through the song, or I'd be awake and slowly become aware of the music being on. More often I woke up just in time to hear the audible "click- whirrr" of the stereo turning on and the CD spinning up. I liked the stereo method- it allows you to choose what sound you are going to wake up to (you could always record a CD with specific sounds just to wake you up more gently) and you can set the volume to be as soft or as loud as you need it.

~Katy

ADB1
08-10-09, 03:00 PM
Idea that may or may not work for you. We have a radio that comes on 10 mins before the alarm. So when the alarm comes you are already awake, and if lucky have already gone and started to make the coffee.