View Full Version : slow processing and adhd

dena
04-02-04, 10:01 PM
I'm new to this forum, but not new to the world of adhd. My daughter (11) was just diagnosed (along with anxiety and low self esteem) and her main problem seems to be slow processing (her brother, 13, also adhd, but is different.) The problem is in her math class. She is currently in the highest level, but is getting a D in it. The teacher complains that she isn't doing well on tests and the class moves too quickly for her and she can't keep up. The teacher wants to move her down a level which moves slower. I said no, because I feel the main problem is slow processing, a neurological problem. Does anyone know of any literature that describes adhd and slow processing and, that you do not drop a kid a level (would be bored), but adapt to their needs. I want to send the teacher something for her to read regarding problems associated with adhd and why she shouldn't be put down a level. Thanks! :)

Lafnalot
04-02-04, 10:05 PM
Im very interested in this topic, both my oldest daughter and i show symptoms of this....its extrodinarily fustrating. Im doing a search as we speak, thanks to you. I will post anything of any value I find,

dena
04-02-04, 10:13 PM
I've been doing a search too, but can't find exactly what I want. I hope you do better than I did. TIA for posting any information you find.
(I'm going to try some more.)

Lafnalot
04-02-04, 10:20 PM
Im finding alot about auditory processing, but not processing in general except to say its a symptom of add/adhd.

Its odd you brought this up as a few things have surfaced lately in my self recognition areas where this has become a topic I want to bring up with my doctor. I homeschooled my two daughters for three years and was so successful withmy oldest daughter because I recognized instinctively the issue and would work around it in ways that didnt just involved seeing and hearing. We would Do things that demonstrated what i was talking about and she was reading. Once she got it we would get her mastered at what ever it was then quickly move on and give her refreshers on the things she had down pat occasionally to keep it surfaced. If we didnt move on shortly after she had it down, she would grow bored and backslide. We also worked in short bursts. Fifteen minutes, no more, of teaching etc, same with homework. She worked, took a break and did something else, thenlater would go back to the work. Stduies have shown that when most people study, anyway, the retain the first and last five to ten minutes of information. So we did fifteen.

Im going to find this info, it may take me weeks but Im going to find it----lol

jayblaze2
08-20-04, 01:31 PM
I HAVE THIS TOO!! I think we over analyze the situation. An example, my math teacher would be explaining a new formula and during the formula he would reduce numbers (the teacher would take it as a given that i would know he did that) wow! im lost. I thought it was something i missed in the new formula. I believe my problem to be from thinking too hard. And my lack of attention. Im going to start my own study of myself to see if i can improve my brain function. Basically everyday i will spend atleast 10min reading/learning about something i have no interest in. I will need to be able to undertand and explain to someone what i have learned. I believe this will slowly help me to control my lack of interest in certain things. Its hard to teach yourself to be that way while you are in High school. Most teachers give you 2hrs of homework. For adders thats crazy!!! But not if we train ourselves. Just like workingout. A bodybuilder doesnt goto the gym on the first day of training and lift 300lbs. His muscles must get use to it. As does an adders brain when trying to do normal things.

Trooper Keith
08-20-04, 01:52 PM
Processing problems come a lot from the fact that the ADHD brain fires differently. It's my understanding that with less chemical being fired, sometimes the connections aren't made right away. (hence things from earlier in the day coming back to mind "out of nowhere" etc.) This is also partly why stimulants work (though the exact mechanism isn't known).

If she's being medicated, that should help a lot.

Another problem is overstimulation. If a lot of information comes in at once, at least with me, I don't know what to do with it and I get really confused. Then I start going "Wait...what?" and it takes me a few minutes to let it sink in. I need to just sit for a while and figure out what's going on. Again, medication has helped with that.

Imnapl
08-27-08, 09:35 PM
Dena, is your daughter taking any medication? Being distracted may look like slow processing. Is math is the only subject your daughter has difficulty in?

INaBOX
08-29-08, 07:54 PM
My son also has auditory processing delays. It can be frustrating for both him and the speaker. Visual aides and paraphrasing works well with him.

wifeandmom
08-31-08, 10:31 AM
There's quite a bit of info if you search "ADHD slow processing"

From Russell Barkley (scroll to "Subtypes"):
http://www.russellbarkley.org/adhd-facts.htm

Daniel Amen (introductory paragraphs):
http://www.amenclinics.com/bp/atlas/ch12.php

Chris Dendy:
http://www.chrisdendy.com/executive.htm