View Full Version : 5am awakening

netsavy006
02-22-09, 03:34 PM
I don't know why, but I keep getting up @ 5 in the morning and then for the past 2 nights I've been able to go back to sleep at least till 7am. But what I'd like to know is why do I keep getting up @ 5 in the morning. It's improved from before when I was getting up @ 3 unable to go back to sleep.

The only thing I can think of is that it's sleeplessness from Abilify having it in my system but I'm not sure. I was on 15mg/day and it was decreased to 12.5mg/day 2/17 and was decreased to 5mg/day 2/19, and then discontinued yesterday.

I don't know if it's something with my mind wondering. Do keep questions coming. I only use the Lunesta (listed below) if I can't get to sleep by 11pm (which hasn't happened) but not to maintain sleep.

Meds:
Topamax 100 @ AM + bedtime
Valium 5mg @ AM, 4pm, bedtime
Artane 2mg @ AM, 4pm, bedtime
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg @ bedtime
Lunesta 3mg (haven't been using)

Thanks in advance,
Andy...

livinginchaos
02-22-09, 05:59 PM
Andy - not everything is related to medication. Look at what else is going on in your life.

Look at
1) your routine (bed time and wake up)
2) are you going to sleep too early?
3) did you eat just before you went to bed
4) are you thinking and worrying about not being able to fall asleep when you fall asleep or attempt to fall asleep?

You have a history of micro-managing - is that happening again?

Breathing exercises tend to help those who think too much when attempting to fall asleep.

netsavy006
02-22-09, 06:07 PM
Well I'll go in order by what you said. I could be micro-managing again, that could be true; I won't deny it. But let me do number's 1, 2, and 3...

1. My routine is that I get up in the morning. I eat breakfast, I brush my teeth, and then take a shower. Then I do a 1 hour morning/energizing yoga session via aid of a tape. Then Mom and I do whatever daily chores/activities need to be done around the house/town. Then when I come home, I go on to the computer until around 8:30 - 9pm. Then I do a 1 hour yoga relaxation session right before bed with the help of a tape. Then I go to bed @ 10pm.

2. I don't know if it's too early but I go to bed @ 10pm, but I'm told that before 10:30 I'm already asleep.

3. I try not to eat/drink after 8pm (as I'm told that interferes with sleep). The only water I have after 8pm is the water I need to take my bedtime medication with.