View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

Wisefolly
02-23-09, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure what forum I should post this in, but I have ADD (duh), and I'm getting tested for sleep apnea tomorrow night. Does anyone else here have Sleep Apnea? Has treatment improved your ADD at all? I'm excited!

:)

firstdesserts
02-23-09, 09:39 PM
The ADD did NOT go away, but my physical and mental health greatly improved after begining to use a cpap machine! During the sleep study I only slept for about four hours. That was the best night's sleep (with the cpap) I had ever had!

Wisefolly
02-24-09, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I'm not expecting the ADD to disappear by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm hoping it improves my working memory and keeps my depression at bay.

firstdesserts
02-24-09, 02:49 AM
If you have apnea, the machine - you just wait - it is so worth it!

Wisefolly
02-24-09, 10:46 AM
My doctor doesn't think I'll have it severe enough to require the machine. I'm really thin, so I may not even have full apneas, though I guess it's possible, so I'll have to wait and see.

My daytime sleepiness isn't that bad, but several people have told me that I stop breathing in my sleep. At first, I told them they must be mistaken, I just snore- and not everyone who snores has sleep apnea, but they swore that I stopped breathing, and they thought I was going to die. Well after two or three other people told me this, I finally decided to listen!

We'll see. I'm really hoping they find something because I will feel really silly if I go and it turns out nothing is wrong. The doctor thought it was a good possibility though, or she wouldn't have ordered the study. Apparently, I have the "classic allergy face" or "classic allergy throat" (forget which she said), and there isn't actually that much room between my soft palate and tongue.

Wisefolly
02-24-09, 11:26 AM
Oh, and whichever mod moved this for me, thanks!!!

firstdesserts
02-24-09, 12:27 PM
Let us know how it goes.

Wisefolly
02-25-09, 10:59 AM
Well, if I have sleep apnea, it is not severe enough for them to stop the study and start me on the CPAP right away. Chances are that I won't need the CPAP if I do have it. The sleep tech said they need to analyze the tests, and they will mail the results in about a week.

It sure is hard to sleep when you are connected to all those wires! I thought I could fall asleep anyplace, but I was really afraid that I would knock off a wire or something if I moved around too much. It seemed to take forever to fall asleep, but apparently I fell asleep without realizing it. I called in the sleep tech to ask him if it was okay that I wasn't really sleeping or sleeping heavily, and he said that I was sleeping (and snoring), and I just woke up a couple of minutes before that. It felt like so much longer!

This is the kicker: When the sleep tech came in this morning he said, "Well, you sure can snore for a skinny girl!" LOL :P This was my status this morning on Facebook. My aunt did not fail to mention that my cousin has been saying that for years.

firstdesserts
02-25-09, 12:19 PM
You don't have to stop breathing for sleep to be disrupted. Snoring is enough to restrict airflow. Not to mention the noise! I hated just drifting off only to wake myself up!

Wisefolly
02-25-09, 12:40 PM
You don't have to stop breathing for sleep to be disrupted. Snoring is enough to restrict airflow. Not to mention the noise! I hated just drifting off only to wake myself up!

Yup. My doctor thinks I'm more likely to have disrupted sleep as a result of restricted airflow rather than full apnea. I'll have to wait for the results to see. Disrupted sleep still causes problems, but from what I understand, it may be easier to treat.

firstdesserts
02-25-09, 01:55 PM
We'll hope so!

Wisefolly
03-18-09, 01:48 PM
Good news! I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. The next step is to try the CPAP to see if I notice any difference. CPAP is not the final treatment option. My doc referred me to an oral surgeon who specializes in sleep disturbances and to an ENT. Treatment options are a mouth-piece or a choice between a few different surgeries. The better news is that because my sleep apnea is so mild, there is a good chance they can CURE it! Woo-hoo!!! :-)

luvlife
03-19-09, 04:40 PM
i was on the cpap machine and did not like it, had to do so much adjusting to stop air leaks, and the noise was disturbing my partner. Also, i snore very bad:o ent doctor suggested uppp surgery. cured the sleep apnea instantly:) but did not stop the snoring:o:o.

firstdesserts
03-19-09, 06:39 PM
Yeah wisefolly!!

firstdesserts
03-19-09, 06:40 PM
Hooray for wisefolly!

Only1Jomo
03-20-09, 03:18 AM
Good news! I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. The next step is to try the CPAP to see if I notice any difference. CPAP is not the final treatment option. My doc referred me to an oral surgeon who specializes in sleep disturbances and to an ENT. Treatment options are a mouth-piece or a choice between a few different surgeries. The better news is that because my sleep apnea is so mild, there is a good chance they can CURE it! Woo-hoo!!! :-)

I had the UPPP, tonsilectomy and turbinate reduction. For some people its VERY painful. I didnt think so because I was the queen of strep throat. Im really happy I had the surgery. I have sever sleep apnea and it made a difference. I personally cant do the cpap machine. If your doc suggests the surgery or you decide you want it, let me know. I'll give you all the tips on getting ready for it and getting through your recovery.

Congrats on it being mild.

luvlife
03-20-09, 12:08 PM
now if only i can do something about the snoring. it is so embarrasing when we go out of town and stay at other people's home:o.

QueensU_girl
03-20-09, 01:23 PM
I have borderline apnea.

My RDI was 4. RDI stands for Respiratory Distress Index (?). It is how many apnea 'events' a person has in one HOUR. It has to be 5 per HOUR to get an OSA (obstructive Sleep apnea) diagnosis and be given a CPAP machine.

My Sleep Doctor told me to 'lose 10 pounds'.

Why? He said a GAIN or LOSS of *just 10 pounds* can cause (or improve) OSA in some people.

QueensU_girl
03-20-09, 01:25 PM
The MAIN thing in Apnea and Snoring prevention is to _not sleep on your back_. That is when the airway gets impeded by tissue.

Snoring is the sound of the throat's and/or nose's tissue actually "vibrating" b/c of the 'partial airway obstruction'. (My Sleep Doctor explained all this. Pretty scary huh?)

Some people attach a TENNIS BALL on the back of their nightshirt to stop themselves from rolling onto their Backs.

luvlife
03-20-09, 06:27 PM
i will try the tennis ball trick. boy will i look sexy going to bed with a tennis ball under my sexy nightgown.:D

Wisefolly
03-20-09, 11:12 PM
QueensU girl, I usually sleep on my side, but I'm trying to sleep on my stomach now per the doctor's advice. Unfortunately, I have a little reflux, so I was having trouble with that at first because it was making it worse. That can affect apnea too because the acid makes the tissues swell. Now I'll be taking an antacid or reflux meds before bed. (Also doctor's orders.)

As for the losing weight, what you say is very true... for most people. It just doesn't happen to be true in my case. I'm on the edge of underweight right now, so losing weight is not an option.

I'm also going to see if I can get a nasal spray to keep my nasal passages open.

Only1Jomo
03-20-09, 11:16 PM
The MAIN thing in Apnea and Snoring prevention is to _not sleep on your back_. That is when the airway gets impeded by tissue.

Snoring is the sound of the throat's and/or nose's tissue actually "vibrating" b/c of the 'partial airway obstruction'. (My Sleep Doctor explained all this. Pretty scary huh?)

Some people attach a TENNIS BALL on the back of their nightshirt to stop themselves from rolling onto their Backs.

What's even scarier is that isn't the main thing. Its just what all docs say. I sleep on my side, always have. I've snored my whole life. When I was skinny as a rail and not so skinny. Few docs talk about central sleep apnea. That is totally in the brain and cant not be cured. It can be helped sometimes but not cured. My RDI is 50. Im waiting for my insurance to schedule my follow up study to see what, if any, improvements my surgery made. I do feel some change. Not a lot but some is better then nothing and (I love this) I dont snore at all anymore. I still have apneas though.

Wisefolly
03-20-09, 11:58 PM
What's even scarier is that isn't the main thing. Its just what all docs say. I sleep on my side, always have. I've snored my whole life. When I was skinny as a rail and not so skinny. Few docs talk about central sleep apnea. That is totally in the brain and cant not be cured. It can be helped sometimes but not cured. My RDI is 50. Im waiting for my insurance to schedule my follow up study to see what, if any, improvements my surgery made. I do feel some change. Not a lot but some is better then nothing and (I love this) I dont snore at all anymore. I still have apneas though.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. (hugs)