View Full Version : WebMD Article on Topamax

netsavy006
02-24-09, 08:45 PM
I found an article from WebMD on how Topamax can be used to help correct the underlying risk factors of diabetes and other related information. I found it to be an interesting read. The article dates back to June 16, 2003.

I find it interesting for those who may be taking atypical antipsychotics because now there should be a study done if it can help delay or reduce the risks that comes from these medications.

Here's a link to the WebMD article:
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20030616/epilepsy-drug-topamax-targets-diabetes

In a small study, the antiepileptic drug Topamax lowered levels of total cholesterol, blood glucose, and diastolic blood pressure, all components of the "prediabetic syndrome," reports Aaron I. Vinik, MD, PhD, director of the Strelitz Diabetes Research Institutes at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk. The prediabetic syndrome is the period before full-blown diabetes and also puts a person at a high risk for cardiovascular disease.

Scarletta
02-24-09, 09:13 PM
Topamax is proving to be a drug that can treat many things. One of my prescription books says that its principal uses are to treat seizures, treatment of Lennox-Gastaut syndrom, and prevention of migraines.

Off label- it's being used to treat binge-eating, bipolar, Tourette's, to offset weight gain caused by SSRIs, alcoholism.

There are quite a few side effects though. I was surprised by how many. Of course, those differ in people. But I'd check on those online. There are too many for me to write here!

netsavy006
02-24-09, 09:26 PM
Well I take Topamax as a Bipolar (mood stabilizer) medication and it works well for me. I've been free from side effects so I'm happy with it. I'm curious to see if it will help counteract the diabetes side effect that comes from taking Zyprexa. That we don't have answers for yet. That's the kind of studies I'd like to see done since the article states it helps correct problems before they begin.

fxfake
03-01-09, 02:53 PM
There are quite a few side effects though. I was surprised by how many. Of course, those differ in people. But I'd check on those online. There are too many for me to write here!

I took Topamax for migraines a few years back. It seemed to work well, but the problem was that it made me stupid. That, plus the fact that I did not notice the side effect (slow dose titration to 75mg made it hard to notice), was not a good thing.

A while after I stopped (a few months) I tried going straight to 75mg. The Dopamax effect was obvious.