View Full Version : Maximum Dosage

ELEVEN
02-27-09, 07:52 AM
I have a 10 year old who is on 20mg of Focalin.

Does anyone have a child on a higher dosage? He still can not complete his school work and remember to turn it in. It appears that he needs a higher dosage. He's been on adderal, concerta, and vyvanse in the past. Focalin seems to work best but we just aren't quite there. He is still lacking in concentration.

Any experience with high dosages?

hollywood
02-27-09, 02:49 PM
Yes, I'm a high dose responder as I've been on meds through grade school , high school and two post grad degrees. I was a college athlete and I can tell you that I am all too familiar with the severity of learning and not being able to focus. This is my view on focalin xr. If he's taking regular focalin then the half life of the med is supposed to be 4 hours , it may be different being that he's so young. Anyways the xr preparation is marketed for 8-12 relief but I'd get more like 4-5 hours and large come down. It is not uncommon to require an additional dosage later in the day if attention cannot be sustained, yet at his age I would advise to keep it as low as you can. I think regular ritalin honestly would be the best option for school age children .

Micheal's Mom
02-28-09, 01:35 PM
my son was on the 20mg and it was not enough our doc then tried strattera with it and it was a major differnce but like the above person said it lasted about 4 hours after a while of taking the meds

tom2228
03-07-09, 08:12 PM
I don't have personal experience with high dosages, but I don't think you should worry about your son's dosage being too high at this point. I'll be 17 next month and i take 12.5mg focalin [10mg XR in the morning (which lasts about 10hrs for me) and 2.5mg IR @ 4:30 (which lasts about 5hrs for me)], but one of my best friends is 15 and takes 45mg focalin XR.... so what i'm trying to say is that dosage varies widely from person to person. just because my friend's dosage would be too high for someone like me doesn't mean that it's too high for her or someone like your son.

elegy
03-07-09, 09:08 PM
Everyone is different. Technically, the maximum (studied)dose is 20mg.

I'm on 70mg, but I highly doubt your son will ever need to get that high(or have a pdoc let him).

glowee
11-10-09, 05:34 PM
Can anyone tell me what too high of a dose side effects of focolin xr can be? My son is on 20mg right now (12yrs old 95lbs) but it seems to not make a difference for him as far as concentration is concerned. Could the dose be to high for him?
Thanks for any help.

kibbled_bits
11-12-09, 10:26 PM
heh, my 6 1/2 year old is on 20mg of Focalin XR and his Psychiatrist just added a 5mg to it making it 25mg Focalin XR

he says that Focalin is safer than everything else so it wanted to completely expend it as a possibility

Yellow
11-25-09, 02:20 AM
a 6 year old should definitely not be on drugs, so i would check another psychiatrist.

kibbled_bits
12-17-09, 12:22 AM
before he was seeing a psychiatrist his pediatrician was the first to put him on Focalin. That's quite an arbitrary statement to make without any evidence that a 6 year old should not be on any medicine. Are you a doctor?

Yellow
12-20-09, 02:20 AM
doesnt matter if im a doctor or not, no kid should be on stimulants, period, call it medicine ifu want, but i feel amphetamines and stimulants are borderline medicine (especially age considering) and if u beleive everything a doctor says/prescribes, then i suggest the practice of a second opinion or reading what these drugs do. 6 year old on focalin....does that even need a second opinion? (behavioral therapy, martial arts, meditative practicies, hobbies/games, excercise, alota options for a little tike, etcc....)dont care what u do, its ur kid, but i hope u think of his health in the long run startin him off with psuedo-cocaine at 6, check the similarities between them and u might think twice. do whatever u want, peace

kibbled_bits
12-20-09, 11:03 PM
Firstly I have read what these 'drugs' do. He was in martial arts, soccer, etc. Have you ever tried to engage someone with severe inattentive ADHD? Generally it goes like this:

some interest- little interest- no interest

The more you try the less you see, actually academics is one area he's doing okay (barely) at now. I'm concerned about his social interaction though. Again without the experience of treating a wide range of ADHD kids you lack the experience to relate

Behavior therapy is a joke for kids at this level, for someone with slight ADHD that's one thing. What are you going to suggest next removing sugar and caffiene, lol as if any parent resorting to medicine hasn't tried everything they have access to.

I've gone through the list of options and tried all of them only to release they are generally snake oil. Show me real clinical studies, period.