View Full Version : still have depression symptoms (try Abilify; according to commercials)

netsavy006
03-03-09, 05:14 PM
Approximately 2 out of every 3 people being treated for depression still have depression symptoms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV3vLvOms7I
That's how the Abilify for depression commercials start. I find this to be a very staggering statistic. I cannot believe that almost 2/3 of people being treated for depression still show symptoms of depression.

And what's even worse is that they are marketing a powerful medication (Abilify) for the use of depression (in combination with the antidepressant).

While I think it's very helpful to many people and don't condone the use of it, I just think that the FDA and others have to be very careful how they are marketing and we (the consumers) are taking the medications because we don't know much about the long term risks of this medication, at least as of yet.

It's only been on the market at least since 2002 I think, not long enough for the "real freaky stuff" to come out.

I also find it amazing that they don't mention the "common" side effects like other drug ads do, but they are willing to give us the dangerous and longer term risks that come with taking Abilify.

From what I remember from the commercials it warns of (and I'm using initials for the terms): NMS, TD, diabetes, elderly dementia patients and stroke/death, increased risk of suicidal thinking or behavior, dizziness upon standing, seizures, impaired judgement or motor skills, and trouble swallowing, but nothing else. It fails to mention these which you find on the Abilify for depression portion of the website: an inner sense of restlessness or need to move (akathisia), insomnia, fatigue, blurred vision, and constipation.

Like I said, I just find some things odd and strange, but I think it's a wonderful medication to use and have, but I question the methods that are being used and how it is being "dispensed". Just my thoughts/opinions.

What do you think?

elegy
03-03-09, 09:47 PM
You know that the only way they're able to get away with marketing Abilify like this is the lack of ANY mention at all of what it really is - an antipsychotic.

I can pretty much promise that if that information was broadcasted in the commercials, the amount of people asking for it would dwindle significantly.

netsavy006
03-19-09, 05:41 PM
Here's the latest commercial for Abilify that I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2hS_NulHU
What I just found amazing is that they "try" to classify Abilify in a way as an antidepressant even though it isn't. It doesn't matter to me though. I take Abilify as part of my bipolar treatment and I like it. I don't condone the use of Abilify for the treatment of depression when added to antidepressants but like you mentioned elegy, once it get's it's true classification, it won't be getting the publicity it's getting now...

01GT281
03-25-09, 10:08 AM
I currently just got put on this for bipolar II as well.

My medication advisor is tossing around the idea of putting me on a stimulant medication for ADD. I'm curious to know if there are any interactions to be worried about when taking a stimulant like ritalin or adderall with abilify.

BTW, I like Abilify. Makes me feel normal and has really helped with anxiety from PTSD.

netsavy006
03-25-09, 02:17 PM
Here's a google search for drug interaction checkers if you want to use them to check for drug to drug interactions, but you can always ask your doctor:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drug+interaction+checker&btnG=Search

TygerSan
03-25-09, 03:49 PM
The fact that they're advertising it as an adjunct to an antidepressant does mean that it has been FDA approved for that purpose. It is a little scary that MDs might prescribe abilify quite quickly after someone doesn't remit after an SSRI, though . . . you're right, abilify is a new and pretty powerful drug. IMNSHO, I don't think any prescription drugs should be advertised on TV. The rules have been soo relaxed, it seems like every other ad is for some sort of pill, and "ask your doctor if X is right for you". Then again, they're marketing to the MD's as well . . .

Does anyone remember back when they could either mention the name of the drug, or what it did, but not both in the same slot? So the claritin ads had ppl out in meadows breathing deeply, and I had no clue what the drug did. . . except for make the actors look high.:rolleyes:

MGDAD
04-24-09, 02:57 PM
I was shocked when I saw the first ads for Abilify too. That statistic that they quote is reduculus. Think about it. What percentage of ADHD kids still show ADHD symptoms even when medicated. No medication fixes everything.

As far as taking a stimulant with Abilify or another antipsychotic for BP, it is pretty common.

lk44
08-18-09, 09:20 PM
If you're considering Abilify, you might find this article about it's problems for depression (http://healthlifeandstuff.com/2009/08/abilify-is-in-no-way-a-first-option-for-depression/) useful.